• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Similar history to Coach Freeman

Started by IndyValpo, March 09, 2012, 05:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

At the end of the day, we have players that are questionable to get back in the mix next year, we've lost our 2 seniors, who were instramental in what success we had this season, we lost our best inside prospect we've had in years, making our inside game suspect at best, and we've recruited, and are bringing in 3 more guards, making it 6 or 7 guards for next year, unless we're cutting someone there. It's past time to weed out the players that won't contribute next season, bring in some inside help, and develop the players that are returning and showed, heart and grit this season. Effort is half the battle. I'm not certain that the incoming class will get us to the promise land. We need bigs, period. I'm not sure what the coaches have in mind, but it doesn't appear we are addressing our weaknesses, as we should be.   

vubballfan

Caroline McCombs was the recruiting coordinator and the main reason many of those players came to Valpo. Not to say that Steve Bruce wasn't part of it. But the women's team needs a significant female presence on staff (preferably the recruiting coordinator). Coach Freeman needs someone that balances him out. Someone on staff that the players can connect with, on a personal level. They have had female GAs and lower assistants lately but we need someone that has authority and respect on staff. When you are recruiting good players (ones that are being recruited by the Big 10 and mid-majors not DII and DIII schools) then you need a coach that can build a personal relationship with those recruits. Coach Freeman is not the guy that builds that relationship with that recruit. And often those highly-recruited females choose a school over another school because of the personal relationship that has been built with one of the coaches. This doesn't happen as much in men's athletics but it happens all the time in women's sports. I don't want to see anyone lose their job so if Coach Freeman stays he needs to realize his weaknesses. Starting with hiring a strong authoritative woman coach to come in and recruit and be that go-to coach for the players.

Valpo89

Quote from: vubballfan on March 13, 2012, 08:30:00 AM
Caroline McCombs was the recruiting coordinator and the main reason many of those players came to Valpo. Not to say that Steve Bruce wasn't part of it. But the women's team needs a significant female presence on staff (preferably the recruiting coordinator). Coach Freeman needs someone that balances him out. Someone on staff that the players can connect with, on a personal level. They have had female GAs and lower assistants lately but we need someone that has authority and respect on staff. When you are recruiting good players (ones that are being recruited by the Big 10 and mid-majors not DII and DIII schools) then you need a coach that can build a personal relationship with those recruits. Coach Freeman is not the guy that builds that relationship with that recruit. And often those highly-recruited females choose a school over another school because of the personal relationship that has been built with one of the coaches. This doesn't happen as much in men's athletics but it happens all the time in women's sports. I don't want to see anyone lose their job so if Coach Freeman stays he needs to realize his weaknesses. Starting with hiring a strong authoritative woman coach to come in and recruit and be that go-to coach for the players.

Just asking a question here, but does Kelly Komara fit that description? She had a great career as a player and has coached at higher levels.

vubballfan

I don't know if Komara fits that description - this is her 1st year, maybe?! But she is not one of the top 2 assistants listed or the recruiting coordinator. If Freeman wants to elevate her and give her that chance than maybe she will. All I know is that the best recruiting classes the women's team has had during Freeman's time was when Caroline McCombs (mid 2000s) and Tracey Roller (late 1990s-early 2000s) were recruiting coordinator and i believe both were associate head coaches under him. Those were the teams that were highly successful and played in the post-season. And I believe it really comes down to the talent level of the recruits we bring in here.

Crusader03

And, as I have said from day one, this all comes full circle and back to Kirby

Crusader03

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 12, 2012, 04:58:13 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on March 12, 2012, 03:55:28 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 12, 2012, 03:46:51 PM
Quote from: Girlsbbfan on March 12, 2012, 03:25:28 PM
I'm sure glad Valpo kept Homer after he only won 4, 5, 5, and 12 wins from 89-90 thru 92-93. Look what we would have missed.

there's an upward trend there. freeman has gone the other way. you can make excuses for him all you want, but even with deeper teams the last few years, he hasn't done much. kick him to the curb.

Homer was also barely .500 after returning in 2003. 

the program slid a bit after our last ncaa bid in 04, i will concede. but look at the upward trend it has taken on once again in the last 6 years:
06-07: 16-15
07-08: 22-14, in the first year in a new conference, with players nobody thought would succeed at the higher level, went to horizon tourney semis, went 1-1 in the cbi, knocking off a pac-10 team
08-09: rough down year, blame graduation, going 9-22
09-10: 15-17, a 6 game improvement over the previous year
10-11: 23-12, conference tourney semis, went to the cit. 8 more wins than the previous year.
11-12: currently 22-11, regular season champs, tourney finals, going to the nit, all with a first year head coach.
total: 107-91

now for the women's side.
07-08: 14-16
08-09: 16-14, beat purdue at the arc, almost beat nd at the arc (i was at both those games, actually.)
09-10: 9-21
10-11: 7-24, 50 pt loss to the irish at the arc.
11-12: 10-21, first time in 5 years they've won a first round tourney game.
total: 56-96

in theory, there's nowhere to go but up from how bad we've been. but i don't have the faith in freeman that was there just a few short years ago.

Huh?  16-22-9-15-23-22 (last one was Bryce, not Homer)....Since when is 16-22-9-15-23 an "upward trend???"

(That's me in the black shirt kicking vuweathernerd's post---the girl in the white shirt---into the trash like it deserves)

valporun

I think the only blips were that we didn't have the physicality or outside scorers of the NCAA years, other than that, the wins were more consistent or improved, minus that 9 win season, the record blip on the radar.

valpotx

The 9 win season was simply due to Haanpaa leaving for a third tier Italy team, and Bouchie losing his mind
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 12, 2012, 03:55:28 PMHomer was also barely .500 after returning in 2003.

If Freeman was at .500 this discussion probably would not be taking place but in the last 5 years he is under .400 and .333 over the last 3. BIG difference.

jack

It's time to put heart and emotions aside, and do what's right for the program, and the players that gutted it out and battle this year, injuries not withstanding. WE NEED HELP INSIDE!!! PERIOD! Is that being addressed? We need a bench we can count on for valuable minutes! Is that being addressed? We need to cut ties with the players that smart money says will not be able to contribute as we NEED them to next season. Is that being addressed? When it's all said and done, it doesn't matter who's at the helm if we aren't aggressively addressing the above issues. We have a good solid core, with no supporting cast. The ladies that left it all on the floor this season deserve to be rewarded for their efforts, in the form of HELP!! It's time to take the kid gloves off and get things turned around. If the injuries did one thing, they exposed to all exactly what our weaknesses are. Shame on us if we don't act on that info!

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 13, 2012, 09:32:25 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 12, 2012, 04:58:13 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on March 12, 2012, 03:55:28 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 12, 2012, 03:46:51 PM
Quote from: Girlsbbfan on March 12, 2012, 03:25:28 PM
I'm sure glad Valpo kept Homer after he only won 4, 5, 5, and 12 wins from 89-90 thru 92-93. Look what we would have missed.

there's an upward trend there. freeman has gone the other way. you can make excuses for him all you want, but even with deeper teams the last few years, he hasn't done much. kick him to the curb.

Homer was also barely .500 after returning in 2003. 

the program slid a bit after our last ncaa bid in 04, i will concede. but look at the upward trend it has taken on once again in the last 6 years:
06-07: 16-15
07-08: 22-14, in the first year in a new conference, with players nobody thought would succeed at the higher level, went to horizon tourney semis, went 1-1 in the cbi, knocking off a pac-10 team
08-09: rough down year, blame graduation, going 9-22
09-10: 15-17, a 6 game improvement over the previous year
10-11: 23-12, conference tourney semis, went to the cit. 8 more wins than the previous year.
11-12: currently 22-11, regular season champs, tourney finals, going to the nit, all with a first year head coach.
total: 107-91

now for the women's side.
07-08: 14-16
08-09: 16-14, beat purdue at the arc, almost beat nd at the arc (i was at both those games, actually.)
09-10: 9-21
10-11: 7-24, 50 pt loss to the irish at the arc.
11-12: 10-21, first time in 5 years they've won a first round tourney game.
total: 56-96

in theory, there's nowhere to go but up from how bad we've been. but i don't have the faith in freeman that was there just a few short years ago.

Huh?  16-22-9-15-23-22 (last one was Bryce, not Homer)....Since when is 16-22-9-15-23 an "upward trend???"

screw it, i'll bite. 9 to 15 to 23 is most definitely an upward trend. and a pretty good one at that. only a fool would say it's anything else. it shows how homer was able to make the necessary improvements to increase success. good coaches make improvements. bad coaches make excuses.

all excuses aside, would you rather have a coach do 16-22-9-15-23 or 14-16-9-7-10?

covufan

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 13, 2012, 06:45:28 PM

And, as I have said from day one, this all comes full circle and back to Kirby
So the whole program revolves around Kirby?  I don't think so.  Freeman hired Kirby, gave Kirby marching orders for recruiting, and gave the OK (directly or indirectly) on whom to give scholarships to, and is the final say on all matters VU Women's basketball.  This all comes full circle and back to Freeman and Freeman only.  Freeman may have an idea of changes needed, but I'm sure the AD does as well.