• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/14, 6:30CT - NIT 1st Round - (7) Valpo @ (2) Miami (FL)

Started by valpotx, March 11, 2012, 08:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

I never did check how he did: but yeah, 2nd round of the draft, playing ~10 minutes a game for the Kings now the Bucks.  Not bad.

And, indeed, that was a heck of a game.  Followed by defeat at... was it Houston? 

Maybe if KVW had been healthy.  There Johnson character was pretty beefy... but it was good fun to watch him chase Edwards on the perimeter.

So, yeah, I should have said that it would be "nice to win one of these games once in a while!".  Once a decade is a little on the light side.

78crusader

Guys, the truth is, no one really wants to come to these NIT or CBI or whatever-it-is-they-are-called games.  Last night Drake here in Des Moines drew less than 2,000 fans for the CBI game against North Dakota or somebody.  UNI played at an A-10 school, I can't even remember who it was, and the crowd was around 2,000.  LaSalle played Minny last night (and by the way, their gym looks no better than ours on TV, and I actually thought our gym looks better) and drew around 3,000.  People just don't care to come see these games. I would not have gone to the ARC to see us play Miami.  Sorry, but I just wouldn't have gone.  To me, the season is over now except for the NCAA tourney, which, let's face it, is the only one people care about. 

There are way too many teams going to these postseason tournaments now.  It's kind of like getting a participation ribbon at school.  Everybody gets one. 

Paul

vuweathernerd

Quote from: 78crusader on March 15, 2012, 11:47:16 AM
Guys, the truth is, no one really wants to come to these NIT or CBI or whatever-it-is-they-are-called games.  Last night Drake here in Des Moines drew less than 2,000 fans for the CBI game against North Dakota or somebody.  UNI played at an A-10 school, I can't even remember who it was, and the crowd was around 2,000.  LaSalle played Minny last night (and by the way, their gym looks no better than ours on TV, and I actually thought our gym looks better) and drew around 3,000.  People just don't care to come see these games. I would not have gone to the ARC to see us play Miami.  Sorry, but I just wouldn't have gone.  To me, the season is over now except for the NCAA tourney, which, let's face it, is the only one people care about. 

There are way too many teams going to these postseason tournaments now.  It's kind of like getting a participation ribbon at school.  Everybody gets one. 

Paul

i partially agree, and partially disagree. for the cit and cbi, sure - they're still really new, and still trying to establish themselves. but for the nit, there are still plenty of people that would go. it's an established, respectable postseason appearance. there are plenty of places that would fill up an nit game if they got the chance. and honestly, i think valpo would be one, if the students weren't on spring break. hell, some from chicago may even have driven back just for the game if we had hosted. but spring break is a legitimate attendance problem during the month of march.

valpotx

Quote from: 78crusader on March 15, 2012, 11:47:16 AM

Paul

If you think about it, there are now over 350 D-1 teams out there, and 140 make the postseason.  For American sports, that is the worst percentage of teams making the postseason...
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Hm?  The 2010 numbers are the ones I have handy.  There 70 of 120 FBS played in bowl games.

chef

I think he's saying lowest percentage of all sports. For instance over half the teams in the NHL and NBA make the playoffs.

agibson

Ah, you might have a point.  Now I'm not sure if TX was agreeing, or disagreeing, with Paul!

In MLB, even in the new format for next year, it's only 10 of 30 teams that make it to the post-season. 

NCAA basketball begins to seem... sort of middle of the pack?  Or, indeed, as Chef suggests, maybe a bit on the low side?  In terms of post-season participation among American sports.

valpotx

I was disagreeing, sorry.  I think that college basketball is fine with the number of teams that make the postseason currently. 

If you look at NCAA baseball, it is 64 of 300+ teams, with the same for softball, I believe.  Around half make it in the NBA, NHL, and MLS.  I think it is only fair other teams are rewarded for their seasons, as otherwise, Mid-Majors would not be able to be rewarded as much.
"Don't mess with Texas"