• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce Drew...

Started by HutchJones, January 30, 2019, 05:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

As to Wake Forest, that job will not be open until at least next year.  They had a press conference today to announce Danny Manning will continue as coach.  He would have had a substantial buy-out as well if he were exited. Here is the Q&A session as sent out by the school.  They had sent out a PR earlier indicating Danny would continue.  Wake's AD is retiring soon, and a new AD has been announced and starts soon.

"Dear Deacon fans,

As a follow up to this morning's message, we want to answer a few of the most common questions our fans may have. Please see below for a Q&A with Ron Wellman and Danny Manning.

Questions and Answers with Ron Wellman, Director of Athletics
Q: Was the buyout a part of the decision?
A: Danny's continuation is based on our belief in him and his staff and the future of our program. Otherwise, we do not discuss contract details publicly.

Q: What progress did you see that led you to the decision to keep Coach Manning?
A: While we did not win as many of the games as we would have liked down the stretch, there were encouraging signs for a young team. The positive chemistry was evident, they displayed grit and determination and they continued to work hard in games and the practices I attended as well.   

Q: Why do you believe Danny is the right person to lead this program?
A: I am encouraged by the future of the program and the commitment of our young players. But we've got to stop the attrition. The way for us to become a championship team is to become a veteran team. While there are a lot of transfers in today's college basketball, we have to find a way to have a stable program despite the national environment. That is the formula for success for every one of our programs, that we experience our greatest success when we have a veteran team. Our best teams are dominated by upperclassmen.

Q: Why should the public believe that Danny is the right person to lead this program?
A: We have been 11-20 each of the last two years and those are not the results we expect. It has taken longer than we wanted, but we feel a good foundation has been set. Next year will be a turnaround year for us and I felt Danny was the best person to achieve that immediate improvement. The players in the program have been very impressive off the court. In the classroom, they achieved over a 3.0 grade point average in the fall, the highest GPA ever for our men's basketball program. They are good representatives of Wake Forest in the community. They commit a lot of time to charitable efforts such as the Special Olympics and Brenner Children's Hospital.

Q: Do you feel you've lost your fan base?
A: Winning is important to our fans and we have fallen short. We have a loyal group of fans and I am confident when we start winning again they will be with us. The level of frustration we have seen from the fans is an indication of their passion for the program. They care deeply about the basketball program.

Q: Was John Currie a part of this decision?
A:  As I said following the announcement of my retirement, this would be and was my decision. 

Questions and Answers with Danny Manning, Head Men's Basketball Coach

Q: How do you feel about your return next year?
A: I am excited for next season. We will have most of this year's squad back. Nine of our top 10 scorers are back. We have 91% of our rebounds back and 92% of our minutes returning.  We saw a lot of development from that group last season and can't wait to see the progress they will make this summer. We like our incoming class and our transfers who are becoming eligible. I think the potential for this group is high and I can't wait to get to work with them.

Q: Do you anticipate any players departing the program this offseason?
A: One of the best qualities about this group of players is how close they are. They love playing together and spending time together off the court. They know that they showed glimpses of their potential last year and are excited to put in the hard work to show what they can accomplish next season. As we have had talks with our players over the last week, each one has shown enthusiasm about what we can accomplish together next year. It truly is a team that is united, and I would be surprised if any of them decided to look elsewhere.

Q: What about Jaylen Hoard? Will he test the waters?
A: We have had discussions with Jaylen about going through the process and he has filed the paperwork to go through the evaluation process. For any player who has aspirations of playing in the NBA, the process is a valuable tool. I am glad we have players that are able to test the waters. If we didn't have players at that level, we would be in trouble. NBA teams will give you blunt feedback about your strengths and weaknesses and what you need to do to be ready to play at the next level. Then it is up to you to take that advice and follow it. There were over 100 collegiate players this season who went through the process last spring and came back to school. They were better players this season because of going through that process. We support Jaylen taking this step and know he will receive great advice. 

Q: What changes will you make to help the program move forward and improve?
A: I know sometimes people dismiss my calmness as a lack of passion or lack of interest in making changes. I have been around the game of basketball since childhood and I do not think lashing out emotionally solves many problems. An important part of being a leader is having the trust of your team. I tend to go overboard on keeping things internal rather than sharing things publicly, but there is no question that we need to improve. I think that will fuel our offseason. Sometimes having a chip on your shoulder and the hunger to get better can accelerate change. And we all have that passion burning in us after last season. As far as personnel changes or style changes, we will work through those when we see this whole group together on the court this summer and see how the pieces fit.

Q: Have you spoken with John Currie [new AD] at all about the program?
A: We have spoken a few times briefly. I am eager to begin to collaborate with him on plans for the future of our program. Once things slow down and he takes over, I am sure we will be talking regularly.

Q: Do you have concerns with John Currie becoming the AD on May 1?
A: Any time there's new leadership, you need to prove you're worthy of doing the job. That is the case in college athletics, but also in any job. We are both passionate about Wake Forest Basketball and want to see the program enjoy success. Our interests are aligned."   

#GODEACS

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 22, 2019, 12:18:38 PM
Powell is out of there as well. He tied his future to Bryce. We know how that went. Is he a possible replacement candidate for Matt should MLB decide to start fresh?

That wouldn't be starting fresh. If MLB pulls the trigger, it would likely be an outside hire this time.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on March 22, 2019, 01:38:44 PMThat wouldn't be starting fresh. If MLB pulls the trigger, it would likely be an outside hire this time.

True but the program was stable and successful while Roger was in the mix. Might he be interested in taking a pay cut?

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on March 22, 2019, 01:50:06 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 22, 2019, 01:38:44 PMThat wouldn't be starting fresh. If MLB pulls the trigger, it would likely be an outside hire this time.

True but the program was stable and successful while Roger was in the mix. Might he be interested in taking a pay cut?

To be honest Roger just got a pay cut down to zero. Unless, of course, the new Vandy coach wants to hire him which would seem idiotic. He needs a job and right now Bryce doesn't have a job to offer him. Roger might be able to hook on as an asst with someone he played with at Illinois.

valpolaw

We would be fools not to at least call Bryce to see if he wants to come back. I figured they would both be out next year and the timing might work but it's now. I hope they at least reach out to him

NativeCheesehead

Bryce. Isn't. Coming. Back.

VUGrad1314

We know No one's taking it seriously but we should still reach out Let us dream for a bit

a3uge

Perhaps Bryce wasn't that good of a coach and was just shielded by Peters and Broekhoff. Not sure why we'd settle for a coach that hasn't won a tournament game in any capacity as a coach.

truth219

I believe in bryce drew...my faith in ML is gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

VUGrad1314

Quote from: a3uge on March 22, 2019, 02:27:40 PMPerhaps Bryce wasn't that good of a coach and was just shielded by Peters and Broekhoff. Not sure why we'd settle for a coach that hasn't won a tournament game in any capacity as a coach.

You're defending Lottich by taking a shot at Bryce? That's a reach if I ever saw one.

valpopal

[tweet]1109170930427674625[/tweet]

Just Sayin

Anyone else notice what Bryce didn't say but could have said?  Not sure it was intentional. Seems revealing to me. 

valpo64

Isn't it funny that he gets fired and puts out the aforementioned press release but when he left Valpo on his own he went out like the Colts left Baltimore for Indy basically saying nothing to the Valpo family and team.  If he did say anything I missed it and apologize for the comment.

covufan

Bryce is still on Twitter, answering to well wishers.

I asked if he was going to join the Valpo Fan Board as a distinguished player alumni. He liked, but no answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 22, 2019, 02:17:29 PM
We know No one's taking it seriously but we should still reach out Let us dream for a bit

Sure thing!  Nothing like a coach and staff who have lost 20 in a row!  He is not coming back.  It would be humiliating after thinking that he was ready for prime time and falling on his face.  Or am I overreacting?  Could it just be that his players couldn't shoot (Bryce isn't the one needing to make the shots!)  Or could it be that a key player was hurt?  No, you can't blame injuries and lousy shooting for a coaches failure!  He isn't coming back.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

may know

"Not sure why we'd settle for a coach that hasn't won a tournament game in any capacity as a coach."

Lol who are we gonna get then? What D1 HC that's won a NCAA game is knocking on our door?

a3uge

Quote from: may know on March 22, 2019, 03:55:30 PM
"Not sure why we'd settle for a coach that hasn't won a tournament game in any capacity as a coach."

Lol who are we gonna get then? What D1 HC that's won a NCAA game is knocking on our door?

Plenty of capable assistants out there.

If we make the switch, let's get a coach not stuck in the dark ages on offense. Someone that will prioritize shooters, passers and run up tempo.

4throwfan

I know less about Bryce's situation than anyone else.  I don't know what was said.  I don't know his conversations with MLB.  I don't know if he likes the city.  I don't know what his opportunities are.  I don't know any such dynamics, at all.

I do know that while he was at Valpo, the program was generally successful.  I do know that while he was at Valpo, the spirits on this board were higher.

I can't believe that he would come back.  But I'd answer the phone if he called.

NCVUfan

Bryce to return?

NO, NO, a thousand times NO!!!

wh

John Groce went from Ohio to Illinois in 2012. He was fired on March 11, 2017 and named head coach at Akron 3 weeks later. It's  not exactly going back home, but pretty darn close. BTW Groce's winning pct. at IL was significantly better than Bryce's at Vanderbilt.

GoldenCrusader87

All in vain if Valpo Admin and MLB won't do what's right and fire ML and hold a national search!!!

covufan

Bryce to Tulane. Book it!

Okay, I really have no idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on March 22, 2019, 03:12:27 PM
Bryce is still on Twitter, answering to well wishers.

I asked if he was going to join the Valpo Fan Board as a distinguished player alumni. He liked, but no answer

I can guarantee you that on a few occasions when he was the Valpo coach Bryce would refer to the message board in conversation.

JD24

Quote from: a3uge on March 22, 2019, 02:27:40 PMPerhaps Bryce wasn't that good of a coach and was just shielded by Peters and Broekhoff. Not sure why we'd settle for a coach that hasn't won a tournament game in any capacity as a coach.
As I've hinted at and outright said a few times, I believe this to be a very good possibility.

One of the more difficult things to do for a program is to move on from the "family" of coaches. In this case, it was a real family. If a change is made, which I have my doubts will occur, a full search needs to be done. The problem is that there is very likely some institutional issues which hold back the program and will also likely hinder the coaching search itself or the new coach when he is in place.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: JD24 on March 23, 2019, 08:08:13 AM
As I've hinted at and outright said a few times, I believe this to be a very good possibility.

One of the more difficult things to do for a program is to move on from the "family" of coaches. In this case, it was a real family. If a change is made, which I have my doubts will occur, a full search needs to be done. The problem is that there is very likely some institutional issues which hold back the program and will also likely hinder the coaching search itself or the new coach when he is in place.

Bryce's teams came within an eyelash of beating Maryland in the tournament and ran roughshod through the NIT after being screwed over by the committee until the rumors of his departure started to swirl before the final. His teams got us this MVC invite and even if he was shielded by Peters and Broekhoff those are players HE recruited. Lottich was shielded in year one by a player Bryce recruited (Peters) I have no doubt between his well demonstrated recruiting and player development abilities and the bumps in recruiting and competition in the MVC Bryce would have this program in position to win tournament games. Stop trying to defend Lottich by denigrating Bryce. It's a losing battle. Make a convincing argument for him based on his record or other meaningful factors. If you can't do that then you know which side of this debate is right.