• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Expectations Poll

Started by wh, March 03, 2013, 07:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What final outcome will meet your personal expectations for this year's team?

Appearance in the NIT (expectations met)
2 (3.9%)
1 or more NIT wins
3 (5.9%)
Appearance in the NCAA Tournament
33 (64.7%)
1 or more NCAA Tournament wins
13 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: March 09, 2013, 07:26:31 PM

VULB#62

I have to chime in with two generalities regarding the bickering, having been 'stupid' a couple of times and watching other interactions as well over time.

SOMETIMES redundant posts or misplaced posts happen because of a number of reasons -- being away from the board for a while (due to business, vacations, illness, or whatever), rookie errors, not having sufficient personal time to research deeply into some of our strings (and I must say, I agree with Run that the variety, depth and intensity on our forum far surpasses that of similar boards -- by a large margin.  It's probably the main reason I've grown semi-addicted to it.  That, and the posting personalities along with the thoughtful opinions.).  A hot topic can develop a lengthy string in no time on our board.  No one intentionally duplicates posts or hi-jacks a string by misplacing a post to intentionally pi$$ off other posters.

In those cases, forum members certainly can exercise an obligation to point out these types of errors that might detract from the forum's quality; but SOMETIMES the tone used is less than tactful and can get under sensitive skin.

We all just need to think twice about the words and tone used in helping to correct errors made by fellow forum members. We don't need these side-bar exchanges that can get a bit enflamed.  If on the other hand, if it is clear that an individual is intentionally doing things to pi$$ off other posters, our admins can deal with that.

:twocents:

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 08, 2013, 09:28:42 AMSOMETIMES the tone used is less than tactful and can get under sensitive skin

In case I may be thought to have been guilty of that, I certainly wasn't "chastising" 72 (at least not in the original post, that is), just pointing out that it had been posted a couple weeks ago.

I thought it was amusing that a two-week old article was being reposted, not aggravating, but as BBTDS would point out, a smiley-face icon or wink makes a lot of difference.

One forgets on the internet that not everybody knows your "style" and would infer the wink that was there.  Certainly it's no great sin, and I forget that people on here still might not know that I am so very rarely serious.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

:popcorn:    No sweat and no judgments for anyone who has posted anything in the last week -- my comments we're legit generalities based past recollections and recent exchanges only.  I want everyone to be happy.    ::)   ;D

LaPorteAveApostle

(COOL!  gifs work!  *sound of fingers tenting, mr. burns style*)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Yep, I understand all about working back up to speed slowly...I am back in full swing (no health issues for me), so I am treading lightly...for now. I'll be back to my glass half empy self soon. I think there are a decent amount of us who get worked up over things we care about (VU), so let's all remember to include our  ;D
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vuweathernerd

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 08, 2013, 04:47:17 PM
Yep, I understand all about working back up to speed slowly...I am back in full swing (no health issues for me), so I am treading lightly...for now. I'll be back to my glass half empy self soon. I think there are a decent amount of us who get worked up over things we care about (VU), so let's all remember to include our  ;D

well said, milan. and glad you're feeling better.

milanmiracle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 08, 2013, 07:36:33 PM

Ah, I was wondering about how that came off...to be clear I wasn't sick, just life got in the way
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 08, 2013, 10:11:31 AMmy comments we're legit generalities
You're comments are misspelled. Or did you think you we're spelling them correctly? ::)

:) :) :)

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 09, 2013, 12:09:49 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 08, 2013, 07:36:33 PM

Ah, I was wondering about how that came off...to be clear I wasn't sick, just life got in the way

Ah.... Oops. Lol.

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on March 09, 2013, 03:39:12 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 08, 2013, 10:11:31 AMmy comments we're legit generalities
You're comments are misspelled. Or did you think you we're spelling them correctly? ::)

:) :) :)

Just shows ta go ya that you always need to check the spell check.  It's a constant source of frustration when, if you're not watchin' the SC, it makes up words you're not typing.  Can't claim that here though.  However, I thought the helpful correction necessitated a maximum of only 2 smiley faces.  On the other hand, if you called me a crappy speller, them's fightin' words and would require a minimum of three smileys.    :lol:

wh

Wow, 48 votes.  It appears that there must me some interest in this topic.  ;)

It also appears that 43 of us are going to be awfully disappointed if we don't win this tournament.  :)

LaPorteAveApostle

(and wow..."legit generalities" is a GOOGLEWHACK!  well DONE!)

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on March 09, 2013, 08:43:58 AM
Wow, 48 votes.  It appears that there must me some interest in this topic.  ;)

It also appears that 43 of us are going to be awfully disappointed if we don't win this tournament.  :)

I'd say all 48 WH cuz the 5 that voted for the NIT were already suffering from "anticipatory disappointment."

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 09, 2013, 09:32:06 AM"anticipatory disappointment."

NOT a googlewhack

#anticipatorilyDisappointed

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 09, 2013, 09:32:06 AMI'd say all 48 WH cuz the 5 that voted for the NIT were already suffering from "anticipatory disappointment."

I'll definitely be disappointed if we lose the tournament - but Detroit can play some very good basketball.

I was torn between "NIT win" and "NCAA appearance".  I see some appeal to the argument "better to win in the NIT than get waxed by a 3 seed in the NCAA".

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 09, 2013, 08:45:15 AM(and wow..."legit generalities" is a GOOGLEWHACK!  well DONE!)

Huh? 1.2 million hits?

LaPorteAveApostle

agibson

milanmiracle

Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2013, 12:15:09 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 09, 2013, 09:32:06 AMI'd say all 48 WH cuz the 5 that voted for the NIT were already suffering from "anticipatory disappointment."

I'll definitely be disappointed if we lose the tournament - but Detroit can play some very good basketball.

I was torn between "NIT win" and "NCAA appearance".  I see some appeal to the argument "better to win in the NIT than get waxed by a 3 seed in the NCAA".

Winning in the NIT is never better than going to The Dance. Get your name and brand mentioned nationally as often as you can. No recruit ever goes to a team hoping to win in the NIT.

bbtds

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 09, 2013, 03:53:44 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2013, 12:15:09 PM

Winning in the NIT is never better than going to The Dance. Get your name and brand mentioned nationally as often as you can. No recruit ever goes to a team hoping to win in the NIT.

I agree with milanmiracle.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2013, 01:25:10 PMOK.  But, that's _so_ not a googlewhack.

don't make me log in to wiki and change it so it suits my porpoises.

grad66

Yes.Let's strive to be the Best we can be. :thumbsup: :clap:

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle link=topic=1290.msg28391#msg28391 date=13628 8)71736
Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2013, 01:25:10 PMOK.  But, that's _so_ not a googlewhack.

don't make me log in to wiki and change it so it suits my porpoises.

Sorry Charlie, Starkist is not looking for tuna with good taste but tuna that taste good.   8)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on March 10, 2013, 06:31:28 AMSorry Charlie, Starkist is not looking for tuna with good taste but tuna that taste good.

you can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

--groucho