• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2016-2017

Started by valporun, November 25, 2016, 07:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 04, 2017, 06:52:37 PM
Bottom line: we are no closer to being a viable, competitive mid major women's program than we were when Dorow was hired. Time to move on.
Bingo!!

usc4valpo

So is it sufficient to stay bad just because college hoops needs crappy teams? I would hope to expect more.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 04, 2017, 07:18:09 PM
So is it sufficient to stay bad just because college hoops needs crappy teams? I would hope to expect more.

That's not what I am saying.  I was just pointing out that just because a school gives you a full ride, doesn't mean that it should guarantee success.  I am sure that the SWAC gives full rides to their basketball players, and they have no chance of being successful in basketball.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

At $45000 a pop, I expect a team that would at least stay competitive with Green Bay

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 04, 2017, 07:54:23 PM
At $45000 a pop, I expect a team that would at least stay competitive with Green Bay
No matter how many times you post this it is still dumb. How does the amount of a scholarship have anything to do with it. 

usc4valpo

Please explain why this is done. We spend more money for poor performance than other schools. Why does this program continue not to meet expectations?

VUBBFan

A scholarship is the cost of going to the school. Some schools are more expensive. It doesn't mean some schools pay more for players. If you look at Harvard and they give out a scholarship that would be huge bucks but their players would not necessarily be so much better than a power 5 school. The amount of money for our scholarships has nothing to do with the quality of our players.

usc4valpo

Harvard does not give athletic scholarships.They are primarily based on scholarship and need

VUBBFan

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 04, 2017, 10:54:17 PMHarvard does not give athletic scholarships.They are primarily based on scholarship and need
I know they don't. I was just giving that as a reference of the difference in the costs between schools. If they did their dollar amount would be so much more than VU.

usc4valpo

all I am saying is that the results vs. investment for this team is inadequate and restructuring is required.

VULB#62

Thought it appropriate to mention at this point in the debate that Kevin Borseth scours the whole country and recruits WBB hotbeds to find the talent necessary to maintain the high standards that UWGB has been accustomed to.  Because we all agree that at the college level it's not so much coaching as it is recruiting.  Just check out the 2016 roster for yourselves.   His recruiting budget must be through the roof.

1   Jen Wellnitz   G   5-8   RSo.   South Wayne, Wis. (Black Hawk)
3   Frankie Wurtz   G   5-8   RFr.   Kimberly, Wis. (Kimberly)
4   Caitlyn Hibner   G   6-0   Fr.   Portage, Wis. (Portage)
5   Laken James   G   5-9   RSo.   Oconto, Wis. (Oconto)
10   Mehryn Kraker   F   6-0   RGr.   West Allis, Wis. (West Allis Central)
14   Meghan Pingel   G   5-8   Fr.   Sun Prairie, Wis. (Lakeside Lutheran)
21   Jessica Lindstrom   G/F   6-1   Jr.   Superior, Wis. (Superior)
24   Allie LeClaire   G   5-10   Jr.   Green Bay, Wis. (Notre Dame Academy)
32   Karly Murphy   F   6-1   Fr.   River Falls, Wis. (River Falls)
33   Lexi Weitzer   C   6-3   Sr.   Waukesha, Wis. (Waukesha South)
42   Mackenzie Wolf   F/C   6-4   RFr.   Kohler, Wis. (Sheboygan North)
44   Anna Dier   F   6-0   Fr.   Algoma, Wis. (Algoma)
52   Madison Wolf   F/C   6-3   RFr.   Kohler, Wis. (Sheboygan North)
55   Sam Terry   G/F   6-0   Sr.   Baraboo, Wis. (Baraboo)

:o

VU2003

Really only 5 maybe 6 wins ....cant or shouldnt count wins against iu kokomo etc

NativeCheesehead

I just have the feeling we'll claim progress and give Dorow the last year of her contract because we're too cheap to buy her out. I just can't see how anyone would look at us as improving. Results are not acceptable and decision should be made accordingly.

usc4valpo

In general the Valpo administration is too conservative in making decisions and possibly "too nice". It took 4 years to get rid of Osteen where it should have been no more than 3.

jack

I don't feel the main issue has been talent level. Granted, we don't draw the talent GB does. When you have their success, it's easy to attract top talent. In Dorow's time here, we have never played to the talent we have. I've said for years now I believe it's the philosophy and not so much the talent. With the talent we had this season, we should have had 16 or 17 wins. I would have considered that improvement and would have liked to have seen what was in store with this staff next year.
Many players coming into play ball at the college level are asked to play a different roll than they did in high school. It takes a good staff to work and prepare these players for their needed roll on the team. This staff has never been very good at that. Too many of the early games showed just how lost and out of place many of the younger players were. There seems to be a disconnect between how we recruit, and what we need and expect.
I still think we are lacking the coaching knowledge to work with our bigs. Our footwork and positioning inside on defense is horrible. It has been for several years.
In all, I just don't see us getting over the hump with the staff we have in place.   

IndyValpo

After one season as an assistant John Motherwell has left to become the head coach at D3 Finlandia University in the UP of Michigan.  After 18 years as an assistant this is his first college head coaching job! As assistants tend to do he has bounced around with 9 different schools.   

VULB#62

Anyone know where Finlandia U is located?   The Upper Peninsula of Michigan!!! :o  It gets freaking COLD up there.

usc4valpo

jack

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 07, 2017, 09:21:05 AM
After one season as an assistant John Motherwell has left to become the head coach at D3 Finlandia University in the UP of Michigan.  After 18 years as an assistant this is his first college head coaching job! As assistants tend to do he has bounced around with 9 different schools.
[/b]

Probably a better fit for him. D2 or D3 might be a better fit for this entire coaching staff.

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on March 08, 2017, 07:40:53 AM
[/b]

Probably a better fit for him. D2 or D3 might be a better fit for this entire coaching staff.
After 18 years as a college assistant, good for him to take a head coaching job.  He was on Minnesota's staff before here came to Valpo, a change I never quite understood.

VU2003

Really go thru a lot of assistants on this team
Seems every year people are leaving...except the HC
Hard to acquire continuity

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 08, 2017, 09:24:44 AM
Quote from: jack on March 08, 2017, 07:40:53 AM
[/b]

After 18 years as a college assistant, good for him to take a head coaching job.  He was on Minnesota's staff before here came to Valpo, a change I never quite understood.

My thought was that Motherwell came to Valpo to see if he could become the head coach if those in the athletics dept decided a change was in order. It happened for Chris Holtmann at Butler when it was determined that the former younger coach couldn't handle the job. I assume Motherwell determined a change wasn't in the cards and took the head coaching job he was offered.

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 17, 2017, 02:07:01 PM
http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/high_school/basketball/konieczny-receives-ibca-award/article_d2dd30ee-f36d-11e6-a74f-03aff8734294.html

Here is next year's point guard. She leads South Bend St Joe vs. traditional power Heritage Christian in the semi-state on Saturday in Crown Point.

St Joe won the state and this week Nicole made the Indiana All-Stars for the annual wins against Kentucky.  Our first on the women's side since Mallory Ladd in 2011. Hopefully this one works out better! 

Vinny

Mid major basketball is going to experience coaching changes but as others have said this seems to be a trend. Can't be easy for these young women to be coached by so many different people in their 4 years. If Dorrow is still around for next season, it's a safe bet that it will be a brand new cast the year after. Very difficult to succeed in such a position.

justducky

Quote from: Vinny on March 09, 2017, 02:41:16 PMMid major basketball is going to experience coaching changes but as others have said this seems to be a trend. Can't be easy for these young women to be coached by so many different people in their 4 years. If Dorrow is still around for next season, it's a safe bet that it will be a brand new cast the year after. Very difficult to succeed in such a position.
I do not want this to be interpreted in the Donald Trump use context but it is time to "drain the swamp". That means clean house and start over. Whatever we have been trying to do has clearly been a failure.