• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPEven

vu72

He wasn't wearing "street" clothes but rather the same warm up type outfit that Bakari and Joe were wearing.  I think that's important as it says "he is part of the team".
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

uh... so i was just on twitter and typed in paul's twitter handle in the search bar and this came up...

https://twitter.com/flinton_william/status/821451624979828736

some created a #LetJubrilPlay account and tweeted that meme at ML, Coach Lottich, Jubril and Alec lol

VU2624

Quote from: wh on January 17, 2017, 01:43:57 PM
Quote from: covufan on January 17, 2017, 01:24:37 PMThe tweets don't bother me...yet. Is Jubril still actively involved with the team?  Was he on bench for the Green Bay game?
He was on the bench in street clothes, as usual. Like someone posted earlier, they can't do anything for Jubril that they wouldn't be willing to do for any other student in the same predicament.  Apparently then, students accused of violating the honor code have no right to or expectation of a speedy resolution, to know where the matter stands, or when it will be resolved. Why do I picture a group of sanctimonious people lording over this process, who when asked why are you taking so long to resolve this, respond with a wry, dismissive, "Because we can."

You're assuming that it is an HC issue.

VU2624

Quote from: VU2014 on January 17, 2017, 01:54:48 PM
QuoteIs Jubril still actively involved with the team?  Was he on bench for the Green Bay game?
Coach Gore last week publicly credited Jubril and Chandler Levingston Simon for the development of either Jay or Derrik developing moves. Jubril has been at every home game and the UIC game (he wasn't on the team bus though) on the bench in Valpo gear sweats. So he's actively participating in practice and still from sounds of it doing a very good job of embracing the senior mentoring role. Coach Gore publicly backed him and gave him a shout out. Sounds like a bureaucratic 'honor council' logjam. I'm not just saying this as a fan but as an alumni it's not cool to see the honor council or whoever is "ruling" on this kicking their feet and leaving Jubril out of the loop. Someone needs to get their @ss into gear and show some level of professionalism to at least inform him. I'm pretty disappointed in the University if this is on their end (and considering its been stated as a "university matter" its not on the NCAA). Don't give any athletes special treatment, but don't leave him (student) not knowing his status. It's been a month and a half.

"university matter" can mean anything including waiting on the NCAA to rule on eligibility.

Kyle321n

Quote from: VU2014 on January 17, 2017, 03:34:22 PM
uh... so i was just on twitter and typed in paul's twitter handle in the search bar and this came up...

https://twitter.com/flinton_william/status/821451624979828736

some created a #LetJubrilPlay account and tweeted that meme at ML, Coach Lottich, Jubril and Alec lol

Yeah I got tweeted at along with Rowdy, Buggs, E. Victor, Smits, Lexus and Dority. Odd that I'm part of that group...

Oh and this was released. [tweet]821472878516441088[/tweet]
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VU2014

Well now we know we're waiting on the honor council. At least we have a little clarity.

I also find it a bit hilarious that someone created a twitter account and tweeted the meme at them and then an hour later an official statement gets released lol

crusader05

We do not know we're waiting on the honor council. We know it's an academic issue. I still think this screams eligibility via NCAA to me. There is no way they wouldn't have said something if it was Honor Council related or how they were handling it. They are handling this situation with extreme kid gloves based on the silence which leads me to believe we are waiting to hear exactly whether or not the NCAA is going to be nice, or make an example out of Jubril.

Valpo89

Quote from: VU2014 on January 17, 2017, 04:12:14 PM
Well now we know we're waiting on the honor council. At least we have a little clarity.

I also find it a bit hilarious that someone created a twitter account and tweeted the meme at them and then an hour later an official statement gets released lol

This has gone on long enough. Someone needs to just tell the truth. The fans who pay to see the games deserve to know the truth. The players - based on last night's comments by Jubril himself and Alec on Twitter - need to know the truth.

Jubril should be allowed to talk to the media. He's a big boy. Division I athlete. College graduate. There's too much tip-toe-ing around and it's stressing out everyone and could cost this team a trip to the NCAA Tournament because it is a HUGE distraction, regardless of how anyone wants to try to sugarcoat it.

VU2014

QuoteI still think this screams eligibility via NCAA to me. There is no way they wouldn't have said something if it was Honor Council related or how they were handling it. They are handling this situation with extreme kid gloves based on the silence which leads me to believe we are waiting to hear exactly whether or not the NCAA is going to be nice, or make an example out of Jubril.

Interesting. So possibly failed a class or something, which would impair eligibility for the spring semester? Or possibly a very strange case since Jubril has already graduated and he's going for his grad degree.

crusader05

I'm not sure what the NCAA guidelines are for cheating but my guess is the fact that it was the manager matters.

I repeat my concern that this wasn't a one time thing and that maybe this happened last year, while he was playing, and there is a concern about vacating wins due to ineligibility and so the university is putting on a big show of penance in hopes the NCAA goes easy on them.

humbleopinion

So if this happened last year, and a class is forfeited, perhaps his graduation is in question.  If so, what is the status of the classes that he is taking -- if they are offered just to grad level students and not undergrads, do they count for him being eligible?  There may be more complications than we might have understood.
Beamin' Beacons

FieldGoodie05

Sad to say, but I've mentally moved on without Jubril after our 5-1 start.  It appears we are 1/3 of the way through conference and seeing improvement (incremental at times).

I'm onto the development of Smits and Sorolla.  Anyone else done with this?

Also, this is by no means a knock to those who haven't.  It has to do with me lacking the proper patience for big business (Universities and to a greater extent The NCAA).  I deal with the Gov't and Fortune 500 customers all day long and I don't need this in my personal space.

Jubril, you rock but you cheated? 

VUOR63

Maybe Jubril is pursuing a degree in psychology and is currently conducting an experiment to see the effect that a senior leader who sits out a big chunk of the season would have on (a) the team and (b) the Valpo Fan Zone Forum.  He is probably taking notes on this post as we speak.

usc4valpo

For crying out loud, it is 2017 and it should not take this long to make a decision.

agibson

Quote from: wh on January 17, 2017, 01:43:57 PMApparently then, students accused of violating the honor code have no right to or expectation of a speedy resolution, to know where the matter stands, or when it will be resolved.

A lack of swift justice has been an issue with the Honor Council in the past. Some steps have been taken, including fairly radical ones like some staff, instead of student, management. I don't know how their timetable is these days. Other reforms are under active consideration.

The NCAA is also famous, certainly, for dragging its feet.

The Honor Code -does- have a statute of limitations, right? I looked a few days ago but had trouble clarifying the issue. It may have been in a FAQ in the past - their website seems considerably slimmer than it was a few years ago.

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on January 17, 2017, 04:39:36 PM
I'm not sure what the NCAA guidelines are for cheating but my guess is the fact that it was the manager matters.

1. Speaking of the manager, from what I read in your set of honor code stipulations an alleged HC violation must be reported within 5 academic days of when it allegedly occurs.  Taken literally, that means accusations that he may have made about helping Jubril and Max cheat at times in the past would appear to be meaningless. That should narrow the scope of the investigation considerably.
2. I have been an adjunct at another university for the past 13 years. We have a strict academic honor code similar to Valpo's - with 1 exception. There are no provisions for "telling" on other students. Professors are required to follow a set of clearly defined procedures designed to discourage cheating of any kind, and take swift action if it occurs. Here are just a few measures. On the first night of every class, instructors are required to make a brief presentation about living your life ethically and what that means. The message is that there is no such thing as academic ethics, or business ethics; there is only ethics. You never turn ethical behavior off according to where you're at, what the rules are, or who's watching. Those who operate outside the bounds of ethical behavior will never be happy, fulfilled, or experience long term personal or professional success. Then it's trust, but verify. Papers are run against plagiarism detection tools, work spaces must be completely cleared (including all technology) prior to taking tests, and instructors must remain in the classroom.

As to making students "tell" on each other as part of the control system, absolutely not. These students are one step away from entering the world of adulthood. As an employer (my day job), the last thing I want is a workforce of snitches. I want employees who build each other up, trust each other, and who value team over self. I put snitching in the same puke bucket as gossiping, bullying, blaming, and all other forms of culture-killing, self-serving behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypx1Stz8zN0

valpotx

How can you be in good standing, and have an academic issue? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2017, 08:15:51 PM
How can you be in good standing, and have an academic issue? 

I suppose you could have an issue under investigation. Or an issue that's an issue for one body, but not for another (eg different rules for beings a student in good standing, for being "on the team", and for playing minutes.)

VU2624

Quote from: VU2014 on January 17, 2017, 04:12:14 PMWell now we know we're waiting on the honor council. 

Except that we don't.

VU2624

Quote from: wh on January 17, 2017, 07:43:15 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on January 17, 2017, 04:39:36 PMI'm not sure what the NCAA guidelines are for cheating but my guess is the fact that it was the manager matters.
1. Speaking of the manager, from what I read in your set of honor code

The assumption, very incorrect imho, is that the HC would need to be involved in this situation as an absolute. The HC may be part of the process or it may not be involved at all. No matter the guidelines of the HC, if a manager or anyone else stated that he wrote papers for a player, I'd hope it would be investigated no matter the timing and my assumption is that it is. Whatever the findings could involve the school and NCAA. We don't know any details and, if what we have heard is true, may run a lot deeper than anyone cares to think.

Valpo is not unique in the cone of silence. Florida had a player sitting out for a couple of months a few years ago and, while the fans and media alike were bitching up a storm there was no info provided by the NCAA, school or player. He just showed up in uniform ready to play at some point.

agibson

Quote from: VU2624 on January 17, 2017, 10:14:25 PMthere was no info provided by the NCAA, school or player. He just showed up in uniform ready to play at some point.

Is the tradition with the NCAA that when there are penalties, at least, there is some public explanation?

valpospartan

Quote from: covufan on January 17, 2017, 01:24:37 PM
The tweets don't bother me...yet. 

Is Jubril still actively involved with the team?  Was he on bench for the Green Bay game?
Yes.

valpolaw

If this situation is held up by the kangaroo court honor council, then what a joke and shame on the university. The process needs a severe overhaul if it takes this long. Assuming it is an honor council hold up, Jubrils case should be expedited and stream lined. The university is known for its basketball team and that's how a lot of people outside the Midwest know of it and often the only reason, so it's in everyone's best interest to expedite this process and hopefully he'll be cleared to play at some point this season. Also, the university higher ups can't always be trusted to get things right. Just look at what former dean jay conison did to the valpo law school and then to the Charlotte school of law. Maybe there are privacy issues with jubrils situation, but when matters are public, people scrutinize and critique so that forces others to do the right thing. On the other hand, who knows what happens behind closed doors when matters aren't made public.

usc4valpo

It happens in a millennial world that you can be in good standing while being convicted.