• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Re: Game #27- Oakland Friday February 17 6pm ORena ESPN2

Started by talksalot, February 11, 2017, 10:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Trying to think of who's having a worse game. Smits? Hammink? Bradford? Walker?

It's really feast or famine with this team.

NativeCheesehead

I'm three beers in right now and refuse to be rational about this game win or lose.

oklahomamick

We lose this game we have to win out (expecting Oakland does).  I see us dropping another couple.  Wsu or nku and Detroit
CRUSADERS!!!

hailcrusaders

Announcers are saying that Tevonn got tossed for a fraction of what Grayson Allen (Duke) has done many times and gotten away with.

If that isn't the perfect analogy for the Jubril situation, I don't know what is.
#CrusadersForever

NativeCheesehead

Did anyone else get the memo? Is it &$@& Valpo week?

a3uge

covufan

Sheron-walker stands over a player on the floor, that player stands up to protect themselves and gets ejected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ValpoHoops

I'm not that often a proponent of this sort of thing, but it's time for Matt to stand up for his players. If that means he gets an early shower too, so be it.

valpopal

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 17, 2017, 07:27:06 PM
Announcers are saying that Tevonn got tossed for a fraction of what Grayson Allen (Duke) has done many times and gotten away with.

If that isn't the perfect analogy for the Jubril situation, I don't know what is.

We'll see as the game goes forward and whether Valpo has a chance to come back, but if there was ever a game where the coach should deliberately work to get ejected with technicals, this might be the one. Lottich has to do something to make a statement and stand up for his players.

FWalum

How in the hell did the referees come to this conclusion.  It was ridiculous, are you kidding me what was he supposed to do with his legs when the guy isstanding right over him.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum on February 17, 2017, 07:42:58 PM

How in the hell did the referees come to this conclusion.  It was ridiculous, are you kidding me what was he supposed to do with his legs when the guy isstanding right over him.
Plus we got 2 free throws taken away!

BrownTown

They've got our number this year.  Too quick.  No team in the league takes us out of our game the way Oakland does.  Kampe's had plenty of cracks at us.  And when Peters is missing FTS, well, you know the rest.

oklahomamick

Tevonbs momentum was going back so his leg was swinging up.
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

NativeCheesehead

I love how calm Matt is right now.  I hate how calm Matt is right now.

hailcrusaders

I guess what concerns me most is our inability to compete with other top-level HL teams. We're 1-3 against Green Bay and Oakland, and those three losses have not been close. Sure, we're in first place because we've beaten the likes of Detroit on off shooting nights, but we won't be playing Detroit in the HL championship.

On a lighter note, the ESPN graphic on the HL tournament bracket listed UIC as 'CHICAGO ILLINOIS' and I couldn't help but laugh.
#CrusadersForever

Mc

Yet another fine showing by Valpo on national tv.  Great pattern.  :(

Lottich appeared to be completely out-coached by Kampe, and the guys were just outplayed tonight.  The team understandably was distracted.  The coaches have to step up in these sorts of games to help the guys overcome bad news and adversity.   

valpo64

Some were wondering how the JA thing would affect us.  I guess we found out...negatively.  I can handle Alec and the #23 thing, but the t-shirts were over the top.  Let's forget the Jubril thing and get on with it.  Now is the time for Matt L to get things in perspective, including himself.  It looked like we often times had a care less attitude on the floor and we were not focused. 
That is a coaching problem.  Now, LETS RUN THE TABLE!!

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteSome were wondering how the JA thing would affect us.  I guess we found out...negatively.

Being down two starters for 18 games because of NCAA unfairness finally caught up with us. (Yes, two starters. Keith Carter should be out there every game this year, and I'm now convinced the NCAA intentionally dragged their feet on that to make it difficult for VU to fill his spot). 

BrownTown

I saw that!  They also had "UCI" for UIC on the side-slate.  And, I was unaware Wichita State had replaced Wright State in the Horizon League, which they also had up at one point.

FieldGoodie05

Solid performance by OU, even without the starting guard (IP FREELY).

Now it makes VU play out the final conference games which isn't a bad thing.

valpopal

The statement by Alec wearing #23 and the other players wearing similar warm-up shirts is fine with me. However, that should translate into an aggressive attitude on the court, especially if you feel your teammate has been screwed by the NCAA. That did not happen. In addition, I am a big supporter of Matt and never criticized him before, but he needs to be more agitated at times. When Tevonn was ejected wrongly (I looked at the replay and did not see anything resembling a Flagrant 2. If anything there should have been a no-call since the Oakland player was standing over Tevonn in a taunting position.), Matt should have been much more forceful in defense of his player. The body language displayed by Matt in the last 10 minutes of this game was disappointing, much too passive and not inspiring for his team. Hell, Matt still even had his jacket on!  ;)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on February 17, 2017, 08:22:31 PM
QuoteSome were wondering how the JA thing would affect us.  I guess we found out...negatively.

Being down two starters for 18 games because of NCAA unfairness finally caught up with us. (Yes, two starters. Keith Carter should be out there every game this year, and I'm now convinced the NCAA intentionally dragged their feet on that to make it difficult for VU to fill his spot).

Get your head out and f your ____.  The NCAA is too busy counting their stacks of cash to give a crap about us.