• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo First HL Tournament Game Saturday

Started by VULB#62, February 27, 2017, 08:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jloose128

VUSL98

Looks like 2017-2018: no Peters, no  Adekoya, no Hamink.

a3uge

Quote from: mj on March 04, 2017, 09:09:21 PM
Ashamed to be a Valpo fan. Period.
Try being an Oakland fan. At least they were at full strength.

valpotx

Whichever tournament comes calling, whether it is the CBI or CIT, our administration needs to reject it.  This is not just an angry rant, but our guys literally looked like they didn't care all game.  You get handed the tournament through Oakland losing, and it looked like they were frozen in place all game.  This season deserved so much better than that piss poor effort.  They should be ashamed of themselves.  If they would have lost and given 100%, I would not be saying these types of things.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Disgusting!!!!   We were :  out-coached, out-played, out- hustled,  had who gives a @$&^  attitude(at least it often looked like it).  It was a wasted season, and surely was a waste of time and expense to even go to Detroit to play like that and get thoroughly embarrassed.  12 points in  a half!!  Are you kidding me!

FieldGoodie05

Thanks for the lobotomy VU.  This level of performance you have shown when it actually matters should make you cringe.  Regular season is the warmup.

We always talk about taking the next step...we did with recruits these last 4 years.  But turns out having balls is a prerequisite.

Best of luck Alec, you have a bright future.

DMvalpo18

I'm speechless. What happened to tonight, both to Valpo and Oakland, was unbelievable. I wonder if this team just mentally threw in the towel because losing Alec was one blow too many for morale. I don't know though...I think they still played hard, just maybe without focus.

valpopal

First, congrats to a gritty Milwaukee team that took advantage of the situation. Second, this has to be the most disappointing 24-win season. Third, thank goodness this nightmarish season has mercifully come to an end, though the bitter taste will linger. Fourth, the Horizon League tonight has officially reached its lowest point. Fifth, I hope Alec gets healthy soon and his position in the NBA Draft is not negatively impacted.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 04, 2017, 09:16:03 PM
Thanks for the lobotomy VU.  This level of performance you have shown when it actually matters should make you cringe.  Regular season is the warmup.

We always talk about taking the next step...we did with recruits these last 4 years.  But turns out having balls is a prerequisite.

Best of luck Alec, you have a bright future.

And to further the disappointment, NIT last year wasn't even clutch.  When you are playing for 3rd place, which anything other than NCAA is, there is no pressure.

This senior class did NOT leave their mark on the TEAM sport of basketball.

a3uge

What a terrible season. When you're starting a walk on, I guess you can expect as much. The Horizon is about to send yet another bad seed to the tournament. Its really too late to keep singing I told you so, but I hope LeCrone sleeps well tonight.

valpotx

I wouldn't go that far.  Peters is our best player ever, Davidson was a gel/team guy, and Hammink was solid for most of the year, until he decided to send his twin sister Shawna, in his place tonight.  Jubril had a great 3 years, and really let his teammates down through not giving 100% in the classroom.  I don't think that this Senior class was all that bad.
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

Don't get me wrong. I want Valpo to win this whole thing. But part of me is ready for the disappointment of this season to be over. Disappointing offseason. Disappointing schedule. Disappointing decision by Jubril to cheat. Disappointing handling by NCAA. Disappointing development from the bigs all season. Disappointing lack of adjustments from the coaching staff. Disappointing no one was able to step up and seize control of this team when the alpha dog goes down. It feels like every single major binary event both on and off the court since this team set foot in JLA last season had gone against us.
Kudos to these kids for persevering through it. But good lord.

Now we enter next year as likely the fourth best team in our conference. This program in the Horizon has no margin for error. We have the worst budget with the worst facilities in the worst market. I can't help but fear that if we spend 2-3 seasons in the middle of the pack we never make it back to elite. And we've already been dealt a blow with the Sasha decision. I have been telling friends for years that Valpo as a program has yet to reach its peak. I'm starting to wonder

And yes, this is a post filled with raw emotions after a tough game. But it is what it is. Whoever has it in their signature, and pardon me for being too lazy to look, that the future of this program is in Lottich's hands could not be more correct. 

WSU85

Why do you say the Horizon League has reached its lowest point?  Just because Valpo (the new Butler) lost? Maybe the rest of the league is as competitive as Valpo and Oakland. That is good for the league.

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 04, 2017, 09:26:32 PM
Don't get me wrong. I want Valpo to win this whole thing. But part of me is ready for the disappointment of this season to be over. Disappointing offseason. Disappointing schedule. Disappointing decision by Jubril to cheat. Disappointing handling by NCAA. Disappointing development from the bigs all season. Disappointing lack of adjustments from the coaching staff. Disappointing no one was able to step up and seize control of this team when the alpha dog goes down. It feels like every single major binary event both on and off the court since this team set foot in JLA last season had gone against us.
Kudos to these kids for persevering through it. But good lord.

Now we enter next year as likely the fourth best team in our conference. This program in the Horizon has no margin for error. We have the worst budget with the worst facilities in the worst market. I can't help but fear that if we spend 2-3 seasons in the middle of the pack we never make it back to elite. And we've already been dealt a blow with the Sasha decision. I have been telling friends for years that Valpo as a program has yet to reach its peak. I'm starting to wonder

And yes, this is a post filled with raw emotions after a tough game. But it is what it is. Whoever has it in their signature, and pardon me for being too lazy to look, that the future of this program is in Lottich's hands could not be more correct.

We don't have the worst basketball budget... You're just spewing. And schedule? Lol we had a top 25 team play on our home court!

DMvalpo18

Last thing I want to say is what disappoints me most: during Alec Peters' 4 years here, only one NCAA tournament appearance. In my opinion, he's the best player the program has ever had. That one NCAA tournament appearance was as a sophomore, when he was still pretty raw compared to what he is now. Can you imagine what a beast Alec would have been in the tournament? He demolished his competition in the NIT last year. He really elevated his game. I will always wonder what it would have been like to see the most developed, most skilled, most polished, and most effective version of Alec Peters in the NCAA tournament. Had this team retained Keith Carter, David Skara, and Jubril Adekoya, we would have been even more legit than last year...Dare I say.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on March 04, 2017, 09:26:08 PM
I wouldn't go that far.  Peters is our best player ever, Davidson was a gel/team guy, and Hammink was solid for most of the year, until he decided to send his twin sister Shawna, in his place tonight.  Jubril had a great 3 years, and really let his teammates down through not giving 100% in the classroom.  I don't think that this Senior class was all that bad.

I'll feel that way when I come down from my high horse, but right now and forever in the eyes of the NCAA they are a disappointment.  To us they are great, but right now and whenever it mattered they mailed it in.

valpotx

I believe that our budget is second or third most, not even close to the worst.  WSU85, it is not a balanced league.  We didn't have the Sixth Man of the Year in 2016 for the entire conference season, and we still went 14-4.  We beat Wright State at your place without the conference POY and Jubril.  If you take 2 of the best players off any other team, they would be at the bottom of the league.  Today was just because of a lack of effort and heart, not talent.  That is what is the most aggravating part of the loss.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: WSU85 on March 04, 2017, 09:30:32 PM
Why do you say the Horizon League has reached its lowest point?  Just because Valpo (the new Butler) lost? Maybe the rest of the league is as competitive as Valpo and Oakland. That is good for the league.

Then prove it and win an NCAA game.  If you get embarrassed, come see us again.  With our team decimated by injury and stupidity we needed OU to advance.  They held the only real shot of a Seeding that allowed for upset.

It's nothing personal, but this league is not deep enough to have the best teams upended right now.  I'd say the same thing if we were your seed.

VUBBFan

The beginning of the season had such high hopes  but you can't always get what you want. I feel depressed but it's  not the end of the world as we know it. So not going to dwell on it because  I want to feel fine. Just want the future to be bright.

valpopal

The Horizon League's only two teams in the top-100 rpi lost tonight, which leaves three more days of a tournament for what has become a 1-bid league trying to see which team will be maybe a 15 or 16 seed in the NCAA while likely playing in an empty arena on national television. To me, that is the definition of a low point for the Horizon League.

a3uge

Competitive among themselves? Hello 15 seed!

RS

Guess what?  The only pathetic thing in my sight right now is our fandom.  Its so discouraging seeing everyone dump on the team. Yes the game was terrible but the defense at least kept them in the game. Alec Peters is more than 23 points per game. Teams constantly double team and triple team him making the other players more successful. Give credit to Milwaukee's defense too. They knew that Valpo would be shooting 3's. They defended those shots and lanes where Walker and Hammink would normally drive and score were not there. Peters prescience on the court was worth more than 23 points. Lets not cry over Skara. Or Carter. Or even Jubril's poor decision. It was a successful year up to Peters injury. Wins against Rhode Island, Alabama and BYU were pretty good. I enjoyed this team. I don't think they did not slack off in tonights game as so many others are whining about. Just my 2 cents. And no I'm not a troll. Been a proud season ticket holder foe many years. A VU grad and while I may not post a lot I do read the fan website every day. In the end I know we are fans. Fans have a right to gripe and also to speak well of and for the team. Until next year which many may think will be down, I for one think not. Thanks for reading my "gripe"

valpolaw

Smh, I don't even know where to start....

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: RS on March 04, 2017, 09:52:51 PM
Guess what?  The only pathetic thing in my sight right now is our fandom.  Its so discouraging seeing everyone dump on the team. Yes the game was terrible but the defense at least kept them in the game. Alec Peters is more than 23 points per game. Teams constantly double team and triple team him making the other players more successful. Give credit to Milwaukee's defense too. They knew that Valpo would be shooting 3's. They defended those shots and lanes where Walker and Hammink would normally drive and score were not there. Peters prescience on the court was worth more than 23 points. Lets not cry over Skara. Or Carter. Or even Jubril's poor decision. It was a successful year up to Peters injury. Wins against Rhode Island, Alabama and BYU were pretty good. I enjoyed this team. I don't think they did not slack off in tonights game as so many others are whining about. Just my 2 cents. And no I'm not a troll. Been a proud season ticket holder foe many years. A VU grad and while I may not post a lot I do read the fan website every day. In the end I know we are fans. Fans have a right to gripe and also to speak well of and for the team. Until next year which many may think will be down, I for one think not. Thanks for reading my "gripe"

Appreciate your two cents.  Always good to have a more optimistic mind to balance out the duldroms.

valpotx

The attendance was 8,481?  In what world was that the attendance? lol
"Don't mess with Texas"