• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

If Peters can't play in tournament....

Started by Just Sayin, February 27, 2017, 06:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yayphoenixyay

My take aways as an outsider from watching most HL games throughout the year:

- Peters makes the entire offense click. Even when he is on the bench to get a breather, the offense looks out of sync. Shots get forced, the frontcourt doesn't rebound or get second chance points.

- Sorolla and Smits have potential, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are "good" big men. Kanter (who is still a pretty raw talent, all things considered) absolutely worked them in the post. If either of them had to go one on one with Hogan or Odiase for an entire game, it would be a bloodbath.

- Hammink is a true X-factor. If he is on, it makes beating the Crusaders that much tougher. When he is in one of his head case moods, its like playing 5 v 4.

VU2014

Valpo definitely has real weaknesses and everyone has a shot to win in this condensed tournament.

I still think we could win it all even though are chances are less without Alec.

Still blows my mind that we are competitive team with NCAA screwing us on Carter/Jubril, politics of the Skara transfer, AP playing hurt for the final 8 games (out the last 2 of 8), super short bench, 2 freshman bigs (only those 2 bigs other then Alec), 3 walk-ons, and 3 shirts (2 after a transfer midseason).

I know the case could have been made for Brannen (most likely winner) for coach of the year because the success from D2 so soon, Kampe for a good year, but you could make a very compelling argument for Lottich. Lottich won't win because the expectation were high coming into the season and when you have AP it hurts your chances are hurt.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: yayphoenixyay on February 28, 2017, 03:40:05 PM
My take aways as an outsider from watching most HL games throughout the year:

- Peters makes the entire offense click. Even when he is on the bench to get a breather, the offense looks out of sync. Shots get forced, the frontcourt doesn't rebound or get second chance points.

- Sorolla and Smits have potential, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are "good" big men. Kanter (who is still a pretty raw talent, all things considered) absolutely worked them in the post. If either of them had to go one on one with Hogan or Odiase for an entire game, it would be a bloodbath.

- Hammink is a true X-factor. If he is on, it makes beating the Crusaders that much tougher. When he is in one of his head case moods, its like playing 5 v 4.

Hammink statement is absolutely perfect, as infrequent as it may be.

Our centers are not as advanced as Kanter, but doesn't mean their ceiling is lower than his.

Comment about Peters is solid before we played without him the last two games, much more flow and much less "deer in a head lights" as he describes.  But when you have the best all around player in the HL you can become despondent.

Thanks for sharing, much nicer than some of the judgmental outside comments.

justducky

Quote from: yayphoenixyay on February 28, 2017, 03:28:03 PMThe fact of the matter is if you guys don't approach the tourney one game at a time and instead project yourselves into the finals, you'll never get there.
The mood of most of us is "all or nothing". So a loss to Detroit is no worse than to GB or Oakland. Long story short- if Alec can only play limited minutes then Lottich will have to project where best those minutes will be most valuable.

I realize that a first round loss should eliminate us from NIT consideration and I don't care. There are risks in life that are unavoidable so you pick your poison.

VULB#62

Quote from: justducky on February 28, 2017, 05:27:55 PM
Quote from: yayphoenixyay on February 28, 2017, 03:28:03 PMThe fact of the matter is if you guys don't approach the tourney one game at a time and instead project yourselves into the finals, you'll never get there.
The mood of most of us is "all or nothing". So a loss to Detroit is no worse than to GB or Oakland. Long story short- if Alec can only play limited minutes then Lottich will have to project where best those minutes will be most valuable.

I realize that a first round loss should eliminate us from NIT consideration and I don't care. There are risks in life that are unavoidable so you pick your poison.

Of course it is one game at a time for the players -- absolutely correct.. This fan board has a little more flexibility in that regard  ::)

valpolaw

http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/article_4d23608e-fe55-11e6-ad40-4783f7dde823.html

Looks like this was published today.  Interesting read, especially the last two paragraphs, which make it sound like Alec will be playing.

Pgmado

Quote from: valpolaw on March 01, 2017, 03:17:52 PM
http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/article_4d23608e-fe55-11e6-ad40-4783f7dde823.html

Looks like this was published today.  Interesting read, especially the last two paragraphs, which make it sound like Alec will be playing.

Completely depends on when the quotes were given. Matt Ryan could've been quoted that the Atlanta offense played great if he was asked at halftime of the Super Bowl. My guess is The Torch did some advance work on these articles and some of these interviews were done last week prior to Peters sitting out. Just a hunch.

bbtds

Quote from: Pgmado on March 01, 2017, 03:44:15 PM
Quote from: valpolaw on March 01, 2017, 03:17:52 PM

Completely depends on when the quotes were given. Matt Ryan could've been quoted that the Atlanta offense played great if he was asked at halftime of the Super Bowl. My guess is The Torch did some advance work on these articles and some of these interviews were done last week prior to Peters sitting out. Just a hunch.

Seems to me Paul is strongly guessing Alec is out for the whole tourney.

agibson

Quote from: Pgmado on March 01, 2017, 03:44:15 PMMy guess is The Torch did some advance work on these articles and some of these interviews were done last week prior to Peters sitting out. Just a hunch.

Sounds reasonable. It read to me rather like the Indy Star piece. A long feature, prepped in advance, intentionally or unintentionally silent on the most recent developments.

I didn't get a feeling, from the article, either way about Alec's prospects for playing in Detroit.

VULB#62

The only hint that it was up-to-date is the reference to him being POY.  But that could have been a last second edit.

On the CONSPIRACY side, might the writer have been asked to downplay or not even mention Alec's injury in order to keep HL opponents guessing going into the tournament????   :-X

SanityLost17

Obviously, basketball is different than distance running, but I have had Dr's clear 15 year old girls to finish the last 2 weeks of a season when they have a stress fracture.  Obviously they were not allowed to run it every day, but they were allowed to do their races before taking 6 weeks off at the end of the season.   Basically the Dr's said, "it is going to hurt, but not much more damage can be done that the 6 weeks won't take care of".   

Now, it probably depends on exactly which bone it is and how big the crack is.   However, based on the diagnosis of a stress reaction and not a stress fracture, I gotta think he is playing as long as we can get through Saturday without him.   

Valpo13

Call me a glass is half full kinda guy but Paul Oren tweeted that Peters injury possibly happened February 4th against Green Bay.  Peters played on Senior night and Lottich was hoping Valpo could win at least 1 of 2 road games for a share of the HL regular season championship and locking up a 1 or 2 seed while resting him.  The post senior night break gives Peters a little over a week of rest to get ready for the HL tournament.  Maybe this was planned?

VULB#62

He actually played 5 games including senior night  (and we all were wondering why his RB numbers were suffering).  I was at the GB game and held my breath when he got rolled up on and went down.  I wondered at that time if he sustained a more long term injury.