• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on December 17, 2018, 12:27:17 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 17, 2018, 12:08:26 AM
A bit dated but potentially relevant as it concerns a midwestern school:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/03/20/emu-cut-4-varsity-sports-after-spring/440968002/

Really unfortunate news. SIU made some significant cuts to their athletics programs recently. Valpo has 19 sports teams and 21 if you count Cheerleading and the Crusaderettes. I've been wondering if it's sustainable financially over the long-term. The only program that VU probably sees a financial return on is maybe the men's basketball program and football team because it's non-scholarship. It's a 9-10 split between men's and women's sports. Valparaiso is a very unique small private institution that offers so many different sports.

Track & Field has a healthy chunk of tuition paying athletes...

tiny707

Glad Track and Field has scholarships. That would be one way to improve the football team which is non-scholarship. Miami did it when they lost football scholarships and made a great run with track and field scholarship players.

vusupporter

Quote from: tiny707 on December 17, 2018, 09:24:39 AM
Glad Track and Field has scholarships. That would be one way to improve the football team which is non-scholarship. Miami did it when they lost football scholarships and made a great run with track and field scholarship players.

No person receiving any sort of athletics scholarship can play football.

VULB#62

Quote from: vusupporter on December 17, 2018, 09:29:48 AM

No person receiving any sort of athletics scholarship can play football.

Not quite sure about that, but the logic certainly makes sense.  See my other comment below.

I think you missed Fieldgoodie's point.  There are virtually no T&F athletic scholarships (perhaps a couple "full scholarship equivalents" that are distributes among the entire squad).  Valpo T&F athletes pay tuition and compete at a D-I level with aid based pretty much entirely on financial need.

Valpo2013

Yes
We have many sports teams
But few of those are full scholarship
Tons of money bringing athletes into school
Athletics are just an extension of student recruitment for the school
$$$$$$$$$$$$

VUGrad1314

NBA-themed but nonetheless an interesting study of how the game is evolving that will likely trickle down into the college ranks soon if it hasn't already.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25559428/the-4-point-line-just-beginning-nba-latest-trend

VU2014

That Denver fan needs to look at a map. Augustana is in Rock Island, Illinois. Not in the Dakotas.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on December 19, 2018, 08:49:05 AM
That Denver fan needs to look at a map. Augustana is in Rock Island, Illinois. Not in the Dakotas.

Not so.  This is Augustana University, Souix Falls, SD.  You are thinking D-III Augustana College.

But the map is incorrect in one regard -- where is PFW?

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 19, 2018, 09:03:35 AM

Not so.  This is Augustana University, Souix Falls, SD.  You are thinking D-III Augustana College.

:o   :rotfl:
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FWalum on December 19, 2018, 11:02:27 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on December 19, 2018, 09:03:35 AM

:o   :rotfl:

Gone to another conference (presumably the HL). I think it's a pretty open secret at this point that PFW is moving even though nothing has been announced.

VU2014

They will always be IPFW. Just one of those things they won't be able shake off

VULB#62

Wait. How about Ft. Wayne State University (FWSU). Why does a state university have to be attached to either IU or PU to be legitimate?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 19, 2018, 07:38:07 PM
Wait. How about Ft. Wayne State University (FWSU). Why does a state university have to attached to either IU or PU to be legitimate?

It doesn't.

Signed,

The Cardinals and the Sycamores

VUGrad1314

Drake beats New Mexico State and San Diego and drops(from 99 to 100)? I've seen enough. The verdict is in: The NET sucks.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/net

Mark Adams agrees

https://www.facebook.com/enthusiadams/posts/2245667842374763?__tn__=K-R

VUGrad1314

Happening Hoops interview with Mark Adams. A good read. Still don't know why Valpo isn't a part of the Alliance (which Adams confirms). Two freely given games one of them at home and as much effort for the schedule makers as just slapping two non-D1s on there and calling it good. I guarantee the fans will like this more which means higher gate revenue. I really can't see how Valpo loses here.

https://happeninghoops.com/2018/12/30/mark-adams-interview/

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 31, 2018, 06:59:39 PM
Still don't know why Valpo isn't a part of the Alliance (which Adams confirms).

a. Valpo doesn't want to pay Adams' fee (he doesn't do this stuff for free)
b. The games he can deliver are games Valpo can (or should be able to) schedule on their own

Paying Adams to deliver two games with like schools is wonderful, but if you think those games will replace the non-DI games, you're probably going to be disappointed.  As Adams points out in the interview, non-DI games are necessary to balance the home/away or win/loss (you pick) schedule imbalance caused when schools like Valpo play 2 or 3 "buy games" to help fund their program.

VUGrad1314

It's a paid thing? I didn't know that. I thought it was just a consortium of mid major ADs. Then again I did think it was odd how he frequently mentioned himself as a businessman. Guess that was a hint. I've already stated that using non-D1s to compensate for buy games is dumb. All teams should be able to do better. There's no reason why regional D1 teams can't take the place of non-D1s Everyone would be better for it.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 31, 2018, 09:38:55 PM
It's a paid thing? I didn't know that. I thought it was just a consortium of mid major ADs. Then again I did think it was odd how he frequently mentioned himself as a businessman. Guess that was a hint. I've already stated that using non-D1s to compensate for buy games is dumb. All teams should be able to do better. There's no reason why regional D1 teams can't take the place of non-D1s Everyone would be better for it.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't a paid thing for Adams.  Otherwise I doubt he'd spend this much time meeting with mid-major ADs and advertising for it through interviews and other articles.

Color me skeptical that these scheduling ideas actually improve seed lines or result in more bids for mid-major leagues.  Basically seeds 12-16 (22 bids) are going to be all mid-major programs.  Regardless if they're in these scheduling alliances, that's where they are going to get seeded at.  If I were a mid-major program, I'd want the "metrics" of these seed lines and what their schedules looked like in terms of wins and losses vs. top whatever teams and how he's going to give us scheduled games that's going to get us there.  My guess is when he met with Valpo he wasn't able to provide those assurances, so they declined to be a part of the alliance.

M

I'd probably be in the wait and see camp too if I didn't have gobs of disposable money laying to pay this guy and hope his idea works.

bbtds

Quote from: M on January 01, 2019, 10:13:48 AM
I'd probably be in the wait and see camp too if I didn't have gobs of disposable money laying to pay this guy and hope his idea works.

I hadn't thought about the fact that the member schools in this alliance would have to pay Adams for his scheduling services. For a school like Valpo that doesn't have the funds for ARC renovations yet it sounds like there are higher priorities than paying Adams for help with scheduling.

VUGrad1314