• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 25, 2019, 04:38:21 PMJeez, LeCrone, if you were just gonna move it to Indy you should have done that seven years ago and Butler may have never left.
Butler left the Horizon for the greater TV money and exposure in the Big East. Butler wasn't going to stay because the HL tournament would be held in Indy. It was a no brainer.

VUGrad1314

Butler left for the A10. They spent one season there before going to the Big East.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 28, 2019, 01:44:04 PM
Butler left for the A10. They spent one season there before going to the Big East.
Yes, I should have included the one year in the A10. I had forgotten that step.

VUGrad1314

Yeah the reasoning was the same though and nothing the HL did would have stopped or forestalled it so your point still stands and my rebuttal is really little more than a point of order.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteJeez, LeCrone, if you were just gonna move it to Indy you should have done that seven years ago and Butler may have never left.
Butler left the Horizon for the greater TV money and exposure in the Big East. Butler wasn't going to stay because the HL tournament would be held in Indy. It was a no brainer.

My post was in jest.

(But since we're on the topic, Butler did leave a year earlier than planned because they were in a snit over not being able to host the HL tourney in their lame-duck season).

VUGrad1314

Some thoughts I posted today about UCONN:

UCONN can either:

Drop football to FCS thereby saving a ton of scholarship cash
Gain the flexibility to cut\add other sports if desired\necessary
Join the Big East thereby saving a ton on travel and receive:
A well-attended tournament in a historic venue right in their backyard
20 games vs the #5 conference full of familiar rivals their fans enjoyed playing against AND
Guaranteed game against the Big 10
Guaranteed game against the Big 12
Which results in a massive boost to SOS and attendance
And take advantage of a media deal greater than or equal to the AAC's best case scenario

OR:
Keep their underperforming money pit of a football program
Keep schlepping all sports to Florida Texas Oklahoma and Kansas
Keep playing an 18 game schedule against a significantly worse conference full of teams that wouldn't even register on the average UCONN fan's radar.
Keep playing their conference tournament in some far-flung location most years that is sparsely attended compared to the Big East
Get no built in P5 games (much harder scheduling more slots to fill)
Pray for the best case scenario on the media deal to hope you can make up the shortfall.

If I'm UCONN's AD facing a $40million shortfall increasing apathy and losses for football and an uncertain basketball future I know the option I'm taking. There might be some open P5 slots but most of those will likely be the Big 12 backfilling. Joining the Big 12 especially if Texas Oklahoma and possibly Kansas are gone doesn't really solve a lot of UCONN's problems even with a larger payout. Travel gets worse for all sports and if they can't compete against the AAC in football now what happens when the bottom of the AAC is removed and replaced with the middle\bottom of the Big 12? Football becomes LESS competitive apathy continues and even grows because even though that basketball league might end up ahead of the Big East some years the fans won't connect with the rivalries and losses continue to mount on the football field and in the ledger especially.

It's past time for UCONN to admit their football failure and take the golden parachute offered by the Big East before they do irreparable damage to their athletic department and their reputation.

bigmosmithfan1

It's not that easy for UConn, unfortunately. The school has an agreement with the state regarding the use of the football stadium in Hartford, which was built coinciding with their move up to FBS in 2003. I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but the university could have to re-pay the state a LOT of money -- like tens of millions, from what I was told -- if they bail on that stadium agreement this early. (Also, the AAC is expected to get significantly more than the Big East in their new TV deal later this year -- and they aren't making that much less right now -- not enough to justify a conference move over it).

bigmosmithfan1

Also, UConn isn't acting like a program that has any plans of dropping down anytime soon. They have football home games scheduled with NC State, Boston College, Purdue, Illinois and Indiana over the next five seasons, as well as seven-figure buy games at Clemson and Tennessee. They'd be costing themselves a significant amount of revenue by dropping those games.

VUGrad1314

Omaha it seems is also pissed about Augustana going D1.

https://twitter.com/RedArmyOmaha/status/1055461444760805377

LeCrone and the WAC as well should be listening

usc4valpo

Think of the budget of the women's program at Connecticut and the salaries of their coaches. In reality, college football on the east coast is not as popular as the rest of the US.

VALPO LI

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 10, 2019, 09:42:03 AM
Think of the budget of the women's program at Connecticut and the salaries of their coaches. In reality, college football on the east coast is not as popular as the rest of the US.

I would say the NORTHEAST opposed to the east coast.  There are a lot of popular college programs southeast....Georgia, Virgina Tech, Florida St. Etc. The Northeast has a lot of pro teams 2 in NYC, 1 New England, Philly, DC, Baltimore.
Shine on Vu

crusadermoe

Why would Omaha be angry if the Summit League adds Augustana?   Omaha is located on the "I-29 corridor" just a bit south of the Dakotas. 

As an aside, my town of Rugby, ND is thrilled by the northward drift of the Summit League.  But the name change from Mid-Continent to the Summit League was a sad day here.  The location of Rugby, ND is the exact middle of the North American continent.

VUGrad1314

It's politics more than geography. Schools like Omaha Denver ORU and WIU are concerned about Sanford's ever growing influence over the conference. He gave the SL the land to move the league offices to Sioux Falls he built the Dakotas into athletic behemoths and he is driving the Augustana to D1 bus. The other members probably are starting to get tired of their second class citizenship in the conference

VULB#62

So we just lost a 17-38 coach to a Patriot League loser.  The difference?  We are in the mid-west and mid-westerners really like their football.  New England, except for the Pats, not so much. Betcha we recover faster than UCONN. 

wh

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 10, 2019, 10:55:15 AM
As an aside, my town of Rugby, ND is thrilled by the northward drift of the Summit League.  But the name change from Mid-Continent to the Summit League was a sad day here.  The location of Rugby, ND is the exact middle of the North American continent.

I see it's a "cozy" -9 in Rugby right now. Stay warm!

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 13, 2019, 12:21:28 AM
Detroit fans would rather be in the MAAC than the HL... Ouch...

https://www.detroittitanhoops.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4086&sid=bb2719cf103f91ce5f5e6c11ba192a69

I had to laugh out loud when I read about playing against "transfer criminals"!!!!   :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 10, 2019, 03:21:01 PMSo we just lost a 17-38 coach to a Patriot League loser.  The difference?  We are in the mid-west and mid-westerners really like their football.  New England, except for the Pats, not so much. Betcha we recover faster than UCONN.
The Northeast, in general, follows professional sports much more so than collegiate sports. It's not a football vs. other sports issue. It is a professional vs. college issue at least as the overriding reason. Some cities are more geared to one sport over the other and it may also depend on if that city or region is competitive in a given sport at a professional level which will have some bearing on the attention given to it.

wh

Quote from: JD24 on February 13, 2019, 10:59:07 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 10, 2019, 03:21:01 PMSo we just lost a 17-38 coach to a Patriot League loser.  The difference?  We are in the mid-west and mid-westerners really like their football.  New England, except for the Pats, not so much. Betcha we recover faster than UCONN.
The Northeast, in general, follows professional sports much more so than collegiate sports. It's not a football vs. other sports issue. It is a professional vs. college issue at least as the overriding reason. Some cities are more geared to one sport over the other and it may also depend on if that city or region is competitive in a given sport at a professional level which will have some bearing on the attention given to it.

It's exactly the same in Chicago. EVERYTHING is about the Bears, Cubs, Sox and Blackhawks. When March Madness rolls around and the sports radio talking heads feel obligated to talk college basketball, their ignorance is almost funny.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 13, 2019, 12:21:28 AM
Detroit fans would rather be in the MAAC than the HL... Ouch...

https://www.detroittitanhoops.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4086&sid=bb2719cf103f91ce5f5e6c11ba192a69

LeCrone had a great thing going with the Horizon League but he has really blown it in leading that conference. His problems really started when he didn't do a good job of working out the Butler departure with the BU admins. He seemed so resentful with Butler leaving and even more so when he decided to sue Valpo and the MVC over Valpo leaving. Why would any schools other than lower conference castoffs like IUPUI want to join the HL after that?

VUGrad1314

AAC close to new media rights deal with ESPN. This will have a huge bearing on the UCONN\BE talk and other realignment moves in the near (pre 2023-2025) term.

https://twitter.com/C_Austin_Cox/status/1098023316072337408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1098023316072337408&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcsnbbs.com%2Fthread-870838.html