• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 28, 2021, 03:44:06 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 28, 2021, 08:00:26 AMUSC and Oregon on paper is a fantastic matchup. It's terrible that one of these 2 great Conference of Champions teams will be gone so early in the tournament. both teams obviously deserved better seeds and the committee overlooked the strength of the Conference  of Champions .

You can't seriously believe Oregon State was in any way underseeded after losing to the Portland Pilots and the Wyoming Cowboys this season can you? I'm starting to get the feeling that you're just doing a masterful Bill Walton impression and these aren't your true feelings. If so, well played sir!

Of course he's not blowing a gasket suddenly because one of his favorite conference teams lost a game in the NCAA tournament.

usc4valpo

dream of  a Texas vs. LA final four.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 30, 2021, 06:11:31 AM
dream of  a Texas vs. LA final four.

Do you really want to relive the 2006 Rose Bowl, but in Basketball form? ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

How about the Cotton Bowl game against Texas tech?

usc4valpo

Gonzaga is playing simply exquisite basketball. Such beautiful passing. I hate seeing USC in this situation, but this is great stuff.

JD24

Michigan's offense, at least in this game, is reminding me of the Valpo offense when Smits was with them. Way too much time dumping it down to Dickinson and then everyone watching him. He'll make a few but too often it's just nothing. No movement. That ball has to come out of the post much quicker than it is which was the problem with Smits.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 30, 2021, 07:06:42 PM
How about the Cotton Bowl game against Texas tech?

1995?  That Texas Tech team was 6-4 going into that game.  Beating Tech is the equivalent of beating your friend's little brother that tries hard to fit in, but can't quite get there :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

I needed some consolance after that game last night - wow, what a fantastic performance by the Zags, although it would be great to humble that Timme dude. But Fight On! USC had a great season.

Congrats to Bill Walton and the UCLA Bruins for making the Final 4! 

valpopal

The Final Four match-ups couldn't make it easier for me to know which teams to support. There are two private religious schools facing two public universities. Baylor is Baptist with an undergrad enrollment of 14,000 and Gonzaga is Catholic with only 5,000 undergrads, while Houston and UCLA have undergrad populations of 37,000 and 31,000 respectively. Of course, Gonzaga has Roger Powell on its coaching staff, while Baylor has Scott Drew and Jared Nuness. Plus, if Baylor gets the championship, I win my brackets pool.  Go Baylor and Gonzaga...but especially Baylor!  :thumbsup:

VUGrad1314

Gonzaga facing the hottest team in the country right now. They'd better be ready. I'm rooting for them and for Baylor in that order (I have been a Gonzaga fan since I was a kid almost as long as I've been a Valpo fan). If either of them wins then I'll be very happy. I expect Baylor to make the final and I hope we get a Gonzaga vs Baylor final. That would be a terrific game and one I think this season deserves.

nkvu

UCLA was fortunate in that they are really a (Cronin) Midwest style team with one superstar that got to play another Midwest team (Michigan) with none. For UCLA to have a chance against Gonzaga, they have to keep the game in the low 60's, and I will be shocked if they can do that. As for Baylor v Houston, they are basically the same type of team, only Baylor players are slightly better. I will always pull for the smaller school over the bigger one, so I'm hoping for a Gonzaga v Baylor final.

usc4valpo

1314 - you are puzzling me. If UCLA wins over Gonzaga, are you saying that they are not worthy to play in the championship game, or it would not be deserving for viewers? give me a break dude. If UCLA wins, it will be a tremendous upset. They would most certainly be deserving, and they are a great story.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 01, 2021, 06:09:31 AM
1314 - you are puzzling me. If UCLA wins over Gonzaga, are you saying that they are not worthy to play in the championship game, or it would not be deserving for viewers? give me a break dude. If UCLA wins, it will be a tremendous upset. They would most certainly be deserving, and they are a great story.

Ein Wagner-Drei hätte die UCLA aus dem Turnier werfen können.

IrishDawg

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 01, 2021, 06:09:31 AM

Whoever beats Gonzaga will be deserving of whatever opportunity comes next, and with UCLA only being given a 10-15% chance of victory by the predictive metrics, it would be an incredible upset.  As for the great story, if you're in the Final 4 and the media isn't able to extract a "great story" out of you, there must really be something wrong.

Also, I really hope the games are enjoyable to watch.  Watching Houston as a casual fan is rough, and shooting in a massive arena like Lucas Oil is really difficult for any team (including Gonzaga).  I'm actually really glad I didn't see the UCLA-Michigan game, because unless you have a rooting interest, 51-49 is not a fun watch.

I'm hoping for a Gonzaga-Baylor final and a Zag national title just so we don't have to constantly hear about the 1976 Indiana team having been the last team to do it.  It's been long enough.

valpopal

Word is that Roy Williams is retiring as coach at North Carolina, considered by many to be the best coaching position in college basketball. The coaching transfer portal becomes a bit more interesting.

usc4valpo

I am rooting for UCLA and Baylor. Timme is a dork, but great.

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on April 01, 2021, 06:15:48 AMEin Wagner-Drei hätte die UCLA aus dem Turnier werfen können.

Warum schreibst du ihm auf Deutsch? Seltsam....
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Just Sayin

Dank Google Translator kann jeder in jeder Sprache schreiben.

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on April 01, 2021, 06:24:00 PM
Quote from: bbtds on April 01, 2021, 06:15:48 AMEin Wagner-Drei hätte die UCLA aus dem Turnier werfen können.

Warum schreibst du ihm auf Deutsch? Seltsam....

Franz Wagner ist Deutsch aber er hat es wirklich vermasselt, all diese Schussversuche verpasst zu haben.

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on April 01, 2021, 07:19:21 PMFranz Wagner ist Deutsch aber er hat es wirklich vermasselt, all diese Schussversuche verpasst zu haben.
Ah so
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

I think Hogans will Heroes is on some channel on Dish...

valpolaw

Moser to Oklahoma is being reported now

JD24

Quote from: valpolaw on April 02, 2021, 04:43:11 PMMoser to Oklahoma is being reported now
Sun Times reports it as done.

Surprising at the location.

valpopal

In a just world Cameron Krutwig would receive a percentage of Porter Moser's Oklahoma bonanza. On another note, I notice Sister Jean has entered the transfer portal.

mj

Now the Loyola transfers make sense in light of the Moser news.
I believe that we will win.