• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Mosier and the Sooners beat possible MVC school, UTSA, 96-44.
CRUSADERS!!!

bb33

UTSA would be a horrible add for the non basketball sports.  Unless they are planning to fly the non revenue sports, which means significant expenses, this add would be a nightmare.  The MVC has a midwest identity.  I don't get it. 

UIC Murray State or Wright State makes much more sense.

wh

Belmont is up on Drake 40-33 at halftime - ESPN 2.

IndyValpo

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 18, 2021, 12:51:08 PM
Mosier and the Sooners beat possible MVC school, UTSA, 96-44.
UTSA is joining the AAC

wh

Quote from: wh on November 25, 2021, 07:22:42 PM
Belmont is up on Drake 40-33 at halftime - ESPN 2.

Belmont 74 Drake 69 FINAL

Drake's first loss.

VALPO LI

A quick rundown of where future and potential MVC teams stand.
(And yes the season is very early).
Belmont 4-2
Beat Evansville and Drake.  They play a good one tonight vs. Iona who just beat #10 Alabama.
Murray St.  5-1
Beat Illinois St.
Kansas City 3-2
Beat Missouri, lost to Minnesota and Iowa.
UTA 1-4
Only win vs non D-1
NKU 2-2
UIC 2-3
Beat Valpo, lost to Loyola
Milwaukee 1-4
Wright St 1-5
Only win vs. non D-1
Oakland 5-2
Beat Toledo, Oklahoma St.
St. Thomas 3-3
New to D-1.
Shine on Vu

oklahomamick

1.  Oakland is not a potential MVC player
2.  Sample size should be last 5 years, not last 5 games
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

Also, SFA is 4-2 after losing to SLU by 11. Let's not forget they should be in the mix if UTA is.

usc4valpo

In other college hoops news...
USC is 5-0 after defeating St. Joseph and the proud undefeated conference of champion member faces San Diego St. tonight.

It has been awhile, but we finally anticipate a great DePaul Loyola matchup next week.
I will be at the Valpo Drake game, enjoying dinner and beverages at the University Library before the game.

covufan

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 26, 2021, 08:39:46 AM
1.  Oakland is not a potential MVC player
2.  Sample size should be last 5 years, not last 5 games
I'd take Oakland and Kampe way before UMKC.

Like way before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu84v2

usc4valpo

SFA would be a better MVC member than UTA or UTSA or UMKC. The axers love their sports

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 27, 2021, 12:00:07 PM
SFA would be a better MVC member than UTA or UTSA or UMKC. The axers love their sports

Their students love their alcohol, as well ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSWIM08-12

AJ Green had 35 and UNI upset #16 St. Bonaventure on the road!

usc4valpo

Once again TD, what's wrong with working hard and playing hard? I know you're having fun with me which I appreciate, but there are some ultra conservatives thinking that beer and a great academic experience don't mix. It's narrow minded IMHO. Not saying everyone should drink, of course not - but a school shouldn't be ripped because of a party atmosphere.

Duke has insane parties - and academically it's pretty good.

Just Sayin

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 27, 2021, 08:34:13 PM
Once again TD, what's wrong with working hard and playing hard? I know you're having fun with me which I appreciate, but there are some ultra conservatives thinking that beer and a great academic experience don't mix. It's narrow minded IMHO. Not saying everyone should drink, of course not - but a school shouldn't be ripped because of a party atmosphere.

Duke has insane parties - and academically it's pretty good.

Don't conflate conservatism with fundamentalism.

usc4valpo

I stand mistaken. I loathe when folks rip a school for a strong social atmosphere. Alcohol free does not imply great academics. SFA academically is similar to UNI, Missouri State and Indiana State.

usc4valpo

USC is 6-0 after defeating TJ state.... Ranked 24 but moving on up baby!

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 28, 2021, 10:44:47 AM
I stand mistaken. I loathe when folks rip a school for a strong social atmosphere. Alcohol free does not imply great academics. SFA academically is similar to UNI, Missouri State and Indiana State.

You need to understand that when I was in HS/college, growing up in TX, SFASU was widely viewed as a party school.  It was not known for academics, though it probably had some good programs.  It has probably changed in the last 20 years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

"Butler, slated for sixth place (BE), brings back 10 of its top 11 scorers, including six fifth-year players." 

No wonder we have a labor shortage.

JD24

Good day for Alabama. In addition to the football win over Georgia, Tide beat Gonzaga in basketball.

SanityLost17

Just Saw LSU was playing.   Commentators praising head Coach Will Wade....

How in the hell is Will Wade still a coach after the audio was releases a few years back proving he paid players?!?!?! 

VUGrad1314

I think because the infraction he committed isn't an infraction anymore they're probably not going to go after those claims even though judging by the rules of the time it was technically an offense. I also think it's very possible that NIL only passed because actually following the rules that were in place at the time would have embroiled too many P5 schools in scandal and barred them from the tournament and possibly shattered the myth of P5 superiority held by the Selection Committee and many pundits. Moreover, it also would have potentially (even probably) accelerated a potential split between the P5 and the rest of D1 which might still be a possibility one day. Once you give autonomy to certain members of an organization it's only a matter of time before the system you set up becomes a true reality where they are truly separate.

usc4valpo

LA right now is the college hoops hotspot with conference of champions members UCLA and USC both ranked in the top 10. I wonder where KenPom ranks them.

Just Sayin

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 30, 2021, 04:22:30 PM
LA right now is the college hoops hotspot with conference of champions members UCLA and USC both ranked in the top 10. I wonder where KenPom ranks them.

USC 19
UCLA 10

Based primarily on their performance and strength of schedule, not their W-L record.