• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

3 in football since Nixon was president. More than Notre Dame or Texas. The COC also has insanely strong Olympic sports success, far more than any other conference.

valpotx

Conference of Champions in the sports that no one cares about, and Conference of Consolation in all others
"Don't mess with Texas"

Just Sayin

After Wooden in basketball, the COC hasn't done much at all in basketball. It seems the other teams in the COC have been riding on the coattails of success of UCLA+Wooden  as their entire claim to fame. That's kinda like Valpo's claim to fame was one Sweet 16 appearance many, many years ago.

usc4valpo

correct me if I am wrong, when the was last time a Big 10 team won a NC in basketball?

Just Sayin

Who is talking about the Big 10?

usc4valpo

also the that the COC has the best eye candy, a lot of beautiful people, and the most beautiful campuses in natural settings. There are no truck stops!

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 17, 2022, 01:51:58 PM
also the that the COC has the best eye candy, a lot of beautiful people, and the most beautiful campuses in natural settings. There are no truck stops!

Lord no.  Tons of uglies in CA :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

Someone may be happy to hear that Grand Canyon University lost it's first conference game to none other than......wait for it......wait for it.......
Stephen
Fuller
Austin
State
University

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/gcu/2022/01/20/grand-canyon-basketball-routed-stephen-f-austin/6604263001/

All joking aside I am happy to see Bryce succeeding with the Antelopes in Phoenix.  I'll be rooting for them come March!
Shine on Vu

usc4valpo

Sorry, I love my wife more than Bryce and taking care of me during Covid  - Axe 'Em Jacks!

vu72

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 21, 2022, 05:59:49 AM
Someone may be happy to hear that Grand Canyon University lost it's first conference game to none other than......wait for it......wait for it.......
Stephen
Fuller
Austin
State
University

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/gcu/2022/01/20/grand-canyon-basketball-routed-stephen-f-austin/6604263001/

All joking aside I am happy to see Bryce succeeding with the Antelopes in Phoenix.  I'll be rooting for them come March!

I caught a GCU game the other day and it was bizarre!  The gym was packed, the kids were wearing multiple colored shirts and not a mask in sight! clearly a very right wing group!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Did they think their loss to SFA was rigged?  ::)

Valpo89

Bryce is out with Covid (again) and didn't coach last night.

usc4valpo

PomPom rankings

Loyola 21
Murray St 40
Mo st 63
Belmont 65
Drake 105
UNI 101
Bradley 111
SIU 128
SFA 129
Illinois St 165
Indy St 167
Valpo 196
uTA 228 - wow a better candidate than SFA?
uIC 272 (wow that really sucks)

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 22, 2022, 11:14:25 AMPomPom rankings Loyola 21 Murray St 40 Mo st 63 Belmont 65 Drake 105 UNI 101 Bradley 111 SIU 128 SFA 129 Illinois St 165 Indy St 167 Valpo 196 uTA 228 - wow a better candidate than SFA? uIC 272 (wow that really sucks)

Given a choice nobody would have picked UTA over SFA the point is SFA was never really on the board for the MVC. I said this in the expansion thread and on the MVC Board as well but I'll repeat it here: UIC sucks at basketball now but they could be really good in a few years if they commit to getting better. They have a real incentive to do so now with strong brands and regional rivals and definitely have the means to do so given the size of their endowment and athletics budget. If they choose to focus on basketball they can be a slam dunk for the MVC.

humbleopinion

Sounds like containing Neese has already been accomplished -- out for the game.
Beamin' Beacons

JD24

Just another day in the conference of champions:

QuoteUCLA freshman forward Mac Etienne was arrested and cited with assault after allegedly spitting on Arizona fans at the conclusion of Thursday's Pac-12 basketball game.

allegedly appears to be a loose term here as there is video of the event widely circulating.

usc4valpo

To get respect, USC needs to step up against Zona today.

Just Sayin

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 05, 2022, 09:23:59 AM
To get respect, USC needs to step up against Zona today.

That's a high bar.

Just Sayin

USC gave AZ all they could handle and then some. USC was hungry. But they lost.

oklahomamick

Usc could hang with zona.  Just need to hire coach K and have him bring his team over.  Sign a couple of them to NIL with dr. Dre beats company.  :lol:
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

Yep, maybe if the OU asked Riley about joining the riches of the pompous SEC, the mass exodus to the ultimate conference of champion school would not have happened.

oklahomamick

Probably more to it than just moving to the SEC.  But the program is larger than one coach and his opinion on which conference he wants.  ML may take note.....programs are larger than one player.

If usc doesn't dominate the pac12 something is wrong. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

This hire signals that USC football is back Book it And that pains me to say as a UW support but that program hasn't been the same since Peterson stepped down anyway

valpo64

Has anyone noticed how the Green Bay program has tanked?  They are 3-10 in the HL and 4-18 overall.  The last couple of years have not been much better.  Even their women's program has regressed.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpo64 on February 07, 2022, 03:06:10 PMHas anyone noticed how the Green Bay program has tanked?  They are 3-10 in the HL and 4-18 overall.  The last couple of years have not been much better.  Even their women's program has regressed.

Yeah financial issues have really hit them hard given their small enrollment and endowment. That and they made a pretty headscratching decision firing their coach a few years ago who was unspectacular but doing a solid job. Sometimes the grass isn't greener when you make a coaching change.