• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33245856/government-view-fbs-college-football-players-division-mens-women-basketball-players-school-employees-according-advocacy-group-complaint

With the movement for players ton control their NIL, I had thought that this would be the next step that could be pursued. A labor movements that argues that college athletes in sports that generate a lot of revenue are employees.

As the article states, this may take years to unravel. But if these athletes are considered employees, then it could dramatically change the nature of college sports.
-Programs could pay whatever they wanted to pay. What is interesting here is that greater pay may come with signing a contract. If a player comes out of high school and signs a four year contract and then develops rapidly, does an NBA team have to buy out the contract if they want him before four years have expired?
-If players are employees, do they need to be students? Restated, if NCAA enforcement is eliminated, some schools may choose to totally ignore academics. In the extreme case, this would make men's basketball look like a minor league to the NBA.

valpotx

I truly hope that fails.  I am much more interested to see the development of sports at HBCUs, now that you have athletes taking those offers over P5 programs.  That would be much more of a hit to the large programs, versus this BS lawsuit.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Vu84v2 - reading this and seeing the "guaranteed" NIL deals players are getting particularly at SEC schools(e.g., Texas A&M), it just shows how useless the NCAA has become. Also, with the one and done rule, allowing athletes  easy transfer from schools to promote themselves to higher levels of competition (like a baseball player going from AA to AAA), and providing bogus degree programs, NCAA basketball has already become a minor league to a large extent.

JD24

Juwan Howard may soon be available.

What a buffoon.

elephtheria47

Doubt he gets fired but completely unacceptable.

JD24

Quote from: elephtheria47 on February 20, 2022, 06:54:15 PMDoubt he gets fired but completely unacceptable.
We can't have the coaches starting fights. There were at least a few players also involved after Howard was pulled away including one Michigan player who looked as if he threw multiple punches.

It is a fire-able offense but, I agree, he won't be fired. It's doubly concerning because he had an issue last year which received no discipline from the Big 10 when he got into it with Mark Turgeon. 

Just Sayin

Quote from: JD24 on February 20, 2022, 07:26:22 PM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on February 20, 2022, 06:54:15 PMDoubt he gets fired but completely unacceptable.
We can't have the coaches starting fights. There were at least a few players also involved after Howard was pulled away including one Michigan player who looked as if he threw multiple punches.

It is a fire-able offense but, I agree, he won't be fired. It's doubly concerning because he had an issue last year which received no discipline from the Big 10 when he got into it with Mark Turgeon.

He's not a good representative of The University of Michigan but because he's black, they will ignore doing the right thing and terminating him.

JD24

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 20, 2022, 08:45:22 PM
Quote from: JD24 on February 20, 2022, 07:26:22 PM
We can't have the coaches starting fights. There were at least a few players also involved after Howard was pulled away including one Michigan player who looked as if he threw multiple punches. It is a fire-able offense but, I agree, he won't be fired. It's doubly concerning because he had an issue last year which received no discipline from the Big 10 when he got into it with Mark Turgeon.
He's a good representative of The University of Michigan but because he's black, they will ignore doing the right thing and terminating him.
Likely so but it has to be considered that we seemed to be one more punch away from Malice at the Palace II....started by a coach.....who was upset at a timeout called......one year following a similar incident in which Howard was reportedly heard shouting that he'd kill Mark Turgeon.

Let's think about that.

NativeCheesehead

"Because he's black"? Are you kidding me? It's bad enough that thought entered your head. Doubly bad you thought it worthy of putting on here.

I agree they'll keep him, but they'll keep him because he wins and he's an alum. This is the kind of s*** that parents of recruits read on our board and say "No thanks".

valpo64

I agree he will not be fired but he should be already gone.  However, because of a number of factors, he will continue as the head coach.  Disgusting!

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpo64 on February 21, 2022, 09:37:14 AM
I agree he will not be fired but he should be already gone.  However, because of a number of factors, he will continue as the head coach.  Disgusting!

Howard is an angry black man with a chip on his shoulders. He's behaved like a thug before. This is not his first instance. Howard threatened Maryland coach Mark Turgeon before he was ejected during a game last year. No action was taken. He thinks he can say and do anything he wants without any consequences. He's right. They will not do what should be done. Fire him. Oh, but he wins games.
Ha! If a white coach had threatened the life of a black coach and a few months later slapped a black coach in a handshake line, many of you guilty white liberals (not you 64) would be howling racism and demanding that he be fired. But no, we can't hold a black man to the same standard. It is taboo to criticize any black man for bad behavior. Spare me the faux outrage for having the audacity of criticizing a black man who obviously has anger issues and is so arrogant that he thinks he can slap another coach and thinks he doesn't have to exercise self-control; thinking because he is black, he's entitled to act in ways that would get any other human being fired.

valpo04

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 21, 2022, 10:26:12 AM
Quote from: valpo64 on February 21, 2022, 09:37:14 AM

Howard is an angry black man with a chip on his shoulders. He's behaved like a thug before. This is not his first instance. Howard threatened Maryland coach Mark Turgeon before he was ejected during a game last year. No action was taken. He thinks he can say and do anything he wants without any consequences. He's right. They will not do what should be done. Fire him. Oh, but he wins games.
Ha! If a white coach had threatened the life of a black coach and a few months later slapped a black coach in a handshake line, many of you guilty white liberals (not you 64) would be howling racism and demanding that he be fired. But no, we can't hold a black man to the same standard. It is taboo to criticize any black man for bad behavior. Spare me the faux outrage for having the audacity of criticizing a black man who obviously has anger issues and is so arrogant that he thinks he can slap another coach and thinks he doesn't have to exercise self-control; thinking because he is black, he's entitled to act in ways that would get any other human being fired.

Ok that's enough. A lot of insinuation, accusation, and racial overtones that are not backed by any fact.

Quotehe thinks he can slap another coach and thinks he doesn't have to exercise self-control; thinking because he is black, he's entitled to act in ways that would get any other human being fired.

You have no clue what he thinks, so stop.

And all of this, without even knowing what his consequences will be...

Just Sayin

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

justducky

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 21, 2022, 10:58:05 AM

Ok. And my thinking is that in my dozen or more years on this board you are undoubtably the most narrow and close minded individual with whom I have interacted. If you want to meet tonight at half time and discuss this further PM me before 5:00.

Also.     My thanks to valpo04.  Late is better than never and I am tired of losing long time posters because of this in fighting.

Just Sayin

Quote from: justducky on February 21, 2022, 11:13:29 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on February 21, 2022, 10:58:05 AM

Ok. And my thinking is that in my dozen or more years on this board you are undoubtably the most narrow and close minded individual with whom I have interacted. If you want to meet tonight at half time and discuss this further PM me before 5:00.

Also.     My thanks to valpo04.  Late is better than never and I am tired of losing long time posters because of this in fighting.

Bravo, Bravo. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Valpo89

Look up Jason Whitlock's column from today.
Just Sayin  has a nationally-recognized black columnist on his side.
Sorry justducky.

Just Sayin

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 21, 2022, 02:50:02 PM
Look up Jason Whitlock's column from today.
Just Sayin  has a nationally-recognized black columnist on his side.
Sorry justducky.

I just finished reading Jason Whitlock's column. And I can tell you that we are definitely on the same page. Closed minds think alike.  ;)
But only one of us is a racist according to the modern woke mind expressed by some on this board. Me, because I am white and have no right to criticize a black person even if it is justified and appropriate. Nor can I have an opinion on what might have motivated him. How dare I express an opinion which differs from the Book of the Woke.

Open mind too far and brains fall out.

Here's Jason's tweet which includes a link to his article. Spot-on.

https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/1495803768843157511

NativeCheesehead

This has nothing to do who was right about or who started the scrum. You turned the conversation to race, not me. You deliberately choose "angry black man" & "thug" in your description. My guess is you were someone who defending all of Bobby Knights antics back in the day as well. I would never call someone I've never met a racist. But that comment was.

I've enjoyed participating in this board, but when even this has descended into tribalism and name calling, it's time to take a break. I wish you all the best and I'll see you in October.

Just Sayin

It is about race. You don't get it.  Read the article by Jason.
He is an angry black man and his actions were thuggish don't you think? Pointing that out is a racist comment?  :rotfl:

NotBryceDrew

A 5 game suspension... that almost seems like a reward

JD24

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 21, 2022, 06:35:40 PMIt is about race. You don't get it.  Read the article by Jason. He is an angry black man and his actions were thuggish don't you think? Pointing that out is a racist comment?  :rotfl:
Jason Whitlock is a writer, much like Candace Owens, who get their attention from taking the viewpoint that a substantial number of white people who not think a black person would and thus get a great deal of "see....even the black person agrees with me!" love in these types of cases.

Anyone is free to read and react to whoever they wish but we also need to be careful of what the motive is.

JD24

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on February 21, 2022, 06:58:26 PMA 5 game suspension... that almost seems like a reward
By the time I got to the end of today I was expecting a suspension through the regular season which this is.