• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zvillehaze

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 07, 2018, 07:38:18 AM
If that's the case then their small minded program is the Belmont of the West coast and they have no business competing with the likes of Gonzaga. If the Gaels are turning down resume enhancing opportunities like Nevada and Rhode Island because they're afraid to go on the road or are counting on their games against Gonzaga and BYU to bouy their resume then they're part of the problem and are a negative influence on their conference. But you bet they'll cry foul with the P5 and the committee about how hard scheduling as a mid major can be. 

On the CBS podcast today ( https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/cbssportscom-eye-on-college-basketball-podcast/e/53606609?autoplay=true ), Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander discuss St. Mary's in depth at the 16:20 mark.  Norlander discusses the Rhode Island rumor I mentioned above.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 06, 2018, 04:20:43 PMAnother solid Mid-Major will not get an at-large.  St. Mary's. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2018/02/08/march-madness-2018-ncaa-tournament-bracketology/318678002/

Saint Mary's is on their bracket and Lunardi said they'd get an at large as well.

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on March 07, 2018, 11:24:23 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 06, 2018, 04:20:43 PMAnother solid Mid-Major will not get an at-large.  St. Mary's. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2018/02/08/march-madness-2018-ncaa-tournament-bracketology/318678002/

Saint Mary's is on their bracket and Lunardi said they'd get an at large as well.

It's kinda strange.  At the time I posted that link back on the 6th, the lead story in the article was St. Mary's being knocked out of contention for an at large bid due to their loss to BYU in the WCC tournament combined with their OOC RPI of greater than 200.  That same link has been updated since then and a number of iterations have been released.  Those reading it today are essentially reading a totally different article.

So, I looked for some post-WCC articles that were frozen at that time and corroborated the theme of the initial USAToday release and came up with these:

https://herosports.com/college-basketball/bracketology-saint-marys-ncaa-tournament-prayer-cncn

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/3/6/17084572/bracketology-2018-college-basketball-bubble-saint-mary-s-byu-syracuse-notre-dame-gonzaga

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/06/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch-2018-teams-updates

Interesting to note in the SI article in a comparison of bubble teams almost every "True Bubble" competitor to St. Mary's has a SOS of between 5 (Alabama) and most the low 20s up to a couple in the 80s and 90s.  St. Mary's was 195.

VULB#62

On another NCAA basketball topic and just FYI becaause the University of San Siego is a fellow PFL member, it appears that the MBB program took a jolt with the resignation of their HBB coach, Lamont Smith.  Pretty steamy story.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/usd-coach-lamont-smith-resigns-after-avoiding-domestic-violence-charges/ar-BBK0dxU?OCID=ansmsnnews11

valpopal

All together, Valparaiso basketball administrators and fans: "We told you so." ::)

"...eyes don't lie, and the Horizon League didn't come to close to packing the place – even the reconfigured place, which included a curtained-off upper bowl. Even for the hometown team with the biggest fan base, Oakland, which played two games...."

[tweet]972251886526128128[/tweet]

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on March 09, 2018, 06:26:38 PM
All together, Valparaiso basketball administrators and fans: "We told you so." ::)

"...eyes don't lie, and the Horizon League didn't come to close to packing the place – even the reconfigured place, which included a curtained-off upper bowl. Even for the hometown team with the biggest fan base, Oakland, which played two games...."

[tweet]972251886526128128[/tweet]

Let it go please.  You look like a bratty kid to outsiders talking smack.

usc4valpo

There are a lot of upset DePaul alums and fans with their AD Jean Lenti Ponsetto. She pretty much said that their program does not reflect a "junior NBA team" but competes in the Big East which has top level talent. She also stressed patience after 10, yes 10, dismal losing seasons where apathy with students is at an all time high.

In the 80s DePaul basketball was arguably the hottest sports team in Chicago, now no one gives a crap. Very sad, Ray Meyer must be rolling in his grave.

valpotx

Everyone watch out, as FG05 is now the de facto Valpo Fans Forum fun police.  We are not allowed to be bitter at any past slights, or talk bad about anyone except ourselves.  We always have to look forward...oh yeah, Buck Futler, Petros sucks, and screw ORU 8-)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 09, 2018, 06:59:22 PM
Let it go please.  You look like a bratty kid to outsiders talking smack.

Next time I will add "[sarcasm]" just for you, though I thought the rolling-eyes emoji I included would do the trick.

usc4valpo

Petros is great and one of few supporters for the little school north of Watts.

usc4valpo

USC faces Arizona tonight in what should be a tremendous matchup in the PAC 12 conference of champions championship. We also get the honor to hear Bill Walton share his infinite wisdom throughout the game,

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on March 09, 2018, 08:57:52 PM
Everyone watch out, as FG05 is now the de facto Valpo Fans Forum fun police.  We are not allowed to be bitter at any past slights, or talk bad about anyone except ourselves.  We always have to look forward...oh yeah, Buck Futler, Petros sucks, and screw ORU 8-)

Heck yeah you are, I'm certain I'm just as much of a hypocrite as the next guy.

I just felt that the HL gave us a heck of a spring board into the MVC.  Why should we hate on them.  I think it's all mute though because Valpo Pal is implying a degree of sarcasm in the original post.  So clearly I misread his intention  ???

I hope that Oakland, NKU and other HL members are on our schedule as soon as a few years out (post law suit).  And I really hope a neutral site tourney works for them wherever that may be.  These onsite tournaments are for lesser conferences, of which I don't think the HL is long term.  I think some of us are a little misguided in our anger towards the Detroit location, but that's just me.

Sheriff FG05 signing out!?!?

VU2014

Depaul alums bought out ad space in the Chicago Sun Times to promote firing their AD lol. I can't blame them to be honest. Jean Lenti Ponsetto is awul at her job and has been there long enough to prove the case. I have a uncle who went to Depaul back in the day and he despises the Depaul athletics department.

https://twitter.com/OSD_DePaul/status/972574589871116289

usc4valpo

With the FBI investigation going on, there is discussion going on that Adam Silver and the NBA will remove the "one and done" rule, where a players must participate in one year of college competition. Watching the USC-Arizona conference title game last night, a great reason to get rid of the rule is Deandre Ayton. If there is a better player in the NCAA better than him, I would like to know. I am pretty sure that Ayton has no intention of the overalll college experience, and he is at Arizona to play and wait , get accolades and move on. This guy needs to be in the NBA now.

VU2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 11, 2018, 09:42:27 AM
With the FBI investigation going on, there is discussion going on that Adam Silver and the NBA will remove the "one and done" rule, where a players must participate in one year of college competition. Watching the USC-Arizona conference title game last night, a great reason to get rid of the rule is Deandre Ayton. If there is a better player in the NCAA better than him, I would like to know. I am pretty sure that Ayton has no intention of the overalll college experience, and he is at Arizona to play and wait , get accolades and move on. This guy needs to be in the NBA now.

To be honest if I'm the NBA owners there would be no way I'd get rid of the "1 and done" rule. It helps scouts and GMs evaluate talent. 1 year of college experience is very valuable in helping evaluate NBA talent against a higher level of competition then just high school. High school basketball is a bit of a joke because a lot of very athletic players can dominate at that level it becomes tough to evaluate who is going to succeed. When you are committing millions of dollars to a teenager you'd want that extra year to evaluate. Only very few kids actually have the ability to be productive and compete coming out of high school to the NBA.

I'm not the biggest fan of the NBA "1 and done" rule because it does seem to have some negative affects on the sport of college basketball but it's the NBA owners right to enforce that rule. Kids don't have to play college basketball if they don't want to. If they are talented enough you can go play pro for a year in Europe. Nobody is stopping them. For the upper-echelon few kids that are going to NBA lottery picks you can make the case they actually benefit from the 1 year in college as opposed to going overseas, because they'll receive top level coaching and they'll get way more exposure to build their brands then then they ever would playing overseas. Also let's be honest. The top recruits in college basketball are already getting paid behind closed doors.

bigmosmithfan1

A national outlet finally stumbles upon something we've known here for a long time.... Butler fans are ranked the second-most obnoxious in all of college hoops:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/worst-college-basketball-fans

zvillehaze

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 11, 2018, 03:38:56 PM
A national outlet finally stumbles upon something we've known here for a long time.... Butler fans are ranked the second-most obnoxious in all of college hoops:

The number of Xavier references in the blog post (not quite a "national outlet") tells me all I need to know.  X fans are incredibly insecure about never making a Final Four.

VU2014

It's probably an Xavier fan but I'd have to agree that Butler fans are pretty darn obnoxious with "The Butler Way" at times.

vu72

Just was watching a show with Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim.  They all agreed the one and done needs to go.  Let the kids play as long or as little as they want including not at all.  They agreed also that college basketball will be fine and will adjust.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on March 11, 2018, 02:50:33 PM

To be honest if I'm the NBA owners there would be no way I'd get rid of the "1 and done" rule. It helps scouts and GMs evaluate talent. 1 year of college experience is very valuable in helping evaluate NBA talent against a higher level of competition then just high school. High school basketball is a bit of a joke because a lot of very athletic players can dominate at that level it becomes tough to evaluate who is going to succeed. When you are committing millions of dollars to a teenager you'd want that extra year to evaluate. Only very few kids actually have the ability to be productive and compete coming out of high school to the NBA.

I'm not the biggest fan of the NBA "1 and done" rule because it does seem to have some negative affects on the sport of college basketball but it's the NBA owners right to enforce that rule. Kids don't have to play college basketball if they don't want to. If they are talented enough you can go play pro for a year in Europe. Nobody is stopping them. For the upper-echelon few kids that are going to NBA lottery picks you can make the case they actually benefit from the 1 year in college as opposed to going overseas, because they'll receive top level coaching and they'll get way more exposure to build their brands then then they ever would playing overseas. Also let's be honest. The top recruits in college basketball are already getting paid behind closed doors.
The NBA should (eventually will) allow 18/19 year olds to sign with D-League teams before getting drafted. This will help the D-League gain more traction, sell more tickets, etc.

usc4valpo

USC truly got hosed. The NCAA truly hates the little school north of Watts.

VULB#62

A national outlet finally stumbles upon something we've known here for a long time.... Butler fans are ranked the second-most obnoxious in all of college hoops

At least they are ranked and have fans. i.e., a rowdy student section and raucous white haired septugenarian fanatics.

Why is that?

Why isn't Valpo abnoxious?

Why isn't Valpo intense?

Valpo  is a small college aching to be big-time. Why aren't we doing everything possible to get there? At least from an environment perspective.

justducky

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 11, 2018, 08:24:00 PMUSC truly got hosed. The NCAA truly hates the little school north of Watts.

We are sorry with you  :'(   :'( and for your disappointment.  :'(  BUT Maybe they got this one right.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 11, 2018, 08:27:07 PM
A national outlet finally stumbles upon something we've known here for a long time.... Butler fans are ranked the second-most obnoxious in all of college hoops

At least they are ranked and have fans. i.e., a rowdy student section and raucous white haired septugenarian fanatics.

Why is that?

Why isn't Valpo abnoxious?

Why isn't Valpo intense?

Valpo  is a small college aching to be big-time. Why aren't we doing everything possible to get there? At least from an environment perspective.

There is a difference between being intense/having a rowdy student and being obnoxious.

I'm sure our former Horizon League member consider us "obnoxious". I'm sure all Horizon League fans pre-2012 remember Butler fans attitude. I'm just so damn tired of hearing the butler way BS. No there is no way. They hired amazing coach in Brad Stevens and caught fire and road that momentum to a invite to the big east. I'm not taking anything away from them because they do have a strong program.

VULB#62

Screw the obnoxoius stuff.  That was not my point.

To be obnoxious or even intense you hsve to have bodies in the stands. BU does it. We generally do not.

So what did we exhibit this year?  A half full "HS gym" with questionable  intensity, little game experience-atmosphere and excitement and few reasons to come back after attending for, maybe, one game.

Face it, we don' t understand how to promote at this level and we have to learn damn fast.

It is not just the BB program tbat needs to sort it out, it is also the athletic department and the university.

Most of this comes down to money. Investment. Faith that investment will produce  the return that was originally anticipated. Until the higher ups finally realize that the MVC is THE vehicle not just  another step we have a problem.

Are we there or is this suddenly a shock?