• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: sectionee on May 17, 2012, 05:04:43 PM
Here is your chance to quit dreaming about upgrades and help make it happen...https://www.valpo.edu/givetovu/form/index.php  :thumbsup:  :twocents:

:clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

DMvalpo18

Quote from: sectionee on May 17, 2012, 05:04:43 PM
Here is your chance to quit dreaming about upgrades and help make it happen...https://www.valpo.edu/givetovu/form/index.php  :thumbsup:  :twocents:

And that my friend, always separates the talkers from those who are for real. Yes, I am just a talker too.

wh

In all seriousness now would not be a good time to "put your money where your mouth is," relative to a major upgrade of the ARC.    It is much better to wait until a fundraising campaign is officially announced so you know your gift will be used for it's intended purpose.  Further, you never know but what a major donor will issue a challenge grant.  If that were to happen, your gift would be much more meaningful then than now.  Just some food for thought...

crusaderjoe

Quote from: wh on May 19, 2012, 05:47:45 PM
In all seriousness now would not be a good time to "put your money where your mouth is," relative to a major upgrade of the ARC.    It is much better to wait until a fundraising campaign is officially announced so you know your gift will be used for it's intended purpose.  Further, you never know but what a major donor will issue a challenge grant.  If that were to happen, your gift would be much more meaningful then than now.  Just some food for thought...

Well then there now...somebody gets it.

VULB#62

A well organized, well promoted, and precisely targeted campaign is a necessity. I've been hoping for that to happen and wonder why it hasn't. With four regular season championships this year, now is the time to leverage the success.

sectionee

Just like starting a family: if you wait until you are 100% ready you will never have one. Anyway, you won't be waiting much longer for your campaign.

VULB#62

Quote from: sectionee on May 22, 2012, 08:23:23 PM
Just like starting a family: if you wait until you are 100% ready you will never har any. Anyway, you won't be waiting much longer for your campaign.

Interesting analogy EE.  I like it   :)  I really do.

Playing on that theme.  I look at it as family planning vs. "whoo! hoo! and whatever happens, happens." 

My preference is the former, where there is a specific target for the new house/apartment, etc. , and savings/collecting commensurate with that target to ensure that when the family comes we are ready for it.  Of course there is a fudge factor and unanticipated costs, but you have the family when you feel you are kinda ready.

VS.

Putting money into a big bucket where money is taken for a variety of unspecified needs (some of which are operational) some of of which are immediate (fix something) and hoping there's some there for when the kids finally arrive (whenever they do).

VU would have a lot more of my contributions if they would have dedicated campaigns to support Valpo "athletic family planning."  I contributed to FITT because it was specific and tied to my interests.  Yes, we got a turf field and lights (nice start) and Tennis.  But no track.  But I'm still ticked because VU did not completely follow through on that promise (even if the campaign might have fallen somewhat short).  IMO the lack of a track around the turf field has actually had a negativel effect on Brown Field because of it. And from what I've read from you guys the ARC is an unfinished project as well.

I'm just saying, now's the time for another campaign (or, better, campaigns), but they have to be better conceived and professionally run. I'm just tired of seeing my donations disappear into a black hole.  I also get the feeling that other parts of the university fund raising effort are not approached the same way athletics are and that bothers me too (but then, I'm an ex-jock).

Anyway, EE if you're right about not waiting long for a campaign to emerge, I'm really psyched!  Thanks for that little insight.

P.S.  I also enjoyed the Whoo! Hoo! part too   :thewave:

VULB#62

I was thinking about my track experience and I remember some great meets at Augustana College back in the day, so I Googled Augustana in Rock island, IL.  Some interesting facility-related observations (setshot will gloat):

Augustana 
D-III
2400 enrollment
Ev. Lutheran Church in America
Endowment $88.2 million
21 W & W sports
Full Track (same as used at the US Olympic training facility in San diego) and turf FB field (in midst of studying a full upgrade of FB facilities)
Gym: 1900 capacity (was 3200 until chair backs installed)
http://www.augustana.edu/x353.xml

Valpo
D-I
4016 enrollment
Independent Lutheran
Endowment $140.8 million
19 M&W Sports
No useable track; turf FB field
ARC - 5,500 capacity (no chairbacks)

My question: Why can't Valpo, with a larger enrollment, more expansive campus, closer to a major city and market, and a bigger endowment at least equal tiny Lutheran Augustana in athletic facilities (especially in the light of D-III schools not usually recognizing the concept of a revenue sport)?

Just wondering.

valpospartan

No chairback seats in the ARC?????  Gee I wonder what has been supporting my back all these years.

sectionee

With a larger student body more money is needed for things to support those students (dorms, financial aid, more faculty, etc..).  If you do some math with those numbers you get Augustana has $36,750/student while Valpo is at $35,059/student (Endowment/Enrollment). 

The no chairbacks in the ARC comment was pretty funny.  :o

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 23, 2012, 09:00:20 PM
I was thinking about my track experience and I remember some great meets at Augustana College back in the day, so I Googled Augustana in Rock island, IL.  Some interesting facility-related observations (setshot will gloat):

Augustana 
D-III
2400 enrollment
Ev. Lutheran Church in America
Endowment $88.2 million
21 W & W sports
Full Track (same as used at the US Olympic training facility in San diego) and turf FB field (in midst of studying a full upgrade of FB facilities)
Gym: 1900 capacity (was 3200 until chair backs installed)
http://www.augustana.edu/x353.xml

Valpo
D-I
4016 enrollment
Independent Lutheran
Endowment $140.8 million
19 M&W Sports
No useable track; turf FB field
ARC - 5,500 capacity (no chairbacks)

My question: Why can't Valpo, with a larger enrollment, more expansive campus, closer to a major city and market, and a bigger endowment at least equal tiny Lutheran Augustana in athletic facilities (especially in the light of D-III schools not usually recognizing the concept of a revenue sport)?

Just wondering.

Here are the endowment figures for the end of 2011.  Valpo at 164 million and Augustana at 119.  They seem to be very well endowed!   :o

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/research/2011_NCSE_Public_Tables_Endowment_Market_Values_Final_January_17_2012.pdf

I noticed a couple of things on their site.  This comment about the track was particularly interesting: During the summer of 1992, a new bright blue nine-lane track was installed from money raised mostly by donations from the Augustana College track alumni.  So come on 62, get "your alumni group" moving!!

They do have some very nice looking playing fields.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

This is related to the current attendance string, but I didn't want to hijack it and turn it back into another facilities discussion, so I went back to the spring of this past year and grabbed a couple of quotes from this one.

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 17, 2012, 12:39:12 PM
I have watched the posts dealing with the inadequacy of the ARC across a number of strings.  I'm sorry, but could someone simply list the ARC shortcomings for those of us who have not/cannot attend home games there.  From pictures and watching it on TV it looks nice.  And when I made my last of the very few visits I have made to the campus, I walked around the main floor and and thought it was OK.
Quote from: Valpo89 on May 17, 2012, 12:48:56 PM
I think the biggest complaint is that the ARC just feels more like a high school gym than a college environment.
Main beef is that the east end of the floor is not enclosed and there is a concession stand just to the north, behind the basket, that is suppose can be visible on TV.
The bleachers aren't overly comfortable, but they are the "newer" style with a slight curve instead of just straight old wooden bleachers. I think some people believe the lower bleachers behind the team benches should also be chairbacks.
The floor is new, the scoreboard is new. Sound system needs improvement.
I think some people just believe VU needs something "more pretty" to show recruits.
Quote from: vu72 on May 17, 2012, 01:20:50 PM
Another problem is the track which passes through the south side. As a result those sitting in the lower part of the upper deck have views obstructed by people walking around.  The other issue is the restroom situation which is pretty bad and only two concession stands, one on the main floor and the other in the hall upstairs if I'm not mistaken.

What you saw on TV, say, for the Horizon tourney games, had good sized temporary bleachers added on the east end which made it feel more "bowl" like. Just a guess as I wasn't in attendance.  Chairbacks in the entire lower area would be nice.  The student section is great.

The atmosphere is no doubt fantastic when the place is packed.  A definite home court advantage.

There is a need to provide additional locker and support facilities to current teams. There are seating and accommodation issues.  I recall someone mentioning that the ARC was designed with expansion in mind. I was looking at the seating chart in light of the comments above and the attendance string.  It appears that the two places where the ARC could be popped out are the North wall behind sections F-J and maybe the west wall behind the Valparaizone.  I'm not saying that this means expansion to say 8K seats (more like a nicely comfortable 6,000-6,500) but by pushing out the building to the north with two levels of support facilities (below grade and at grade) beneath a new upper deck, along with redesigning and renovating the existing interior, wouldn't that be something that would add to the college (as opposed to HS) atmosphere, and stimulate attendance?

I'm thinking that this has been the plan all along -- am I reasonably close?  Just wondering.  You vets who've been around the campus and the program these last two decades would have a better sense of this.

We've discussed striking while the iron is hot.  If when we go to the dance this is gonna be that time.  Of course this doesn't happen over night.  But we've gotten some very good national press.  Bryce is upgrading the schedule. There are some great local Indiana and Illinois prospects coming in.

vu72

62, you are pretty much on target as the north wall was always designed for ultimate expansion.  The original plan called for adding seats that matched the seats on the south side, bringing capcity to about 10,000.  That won't happen (just my opinion--no insider stuff here).

As has been stated by  President Heckler, the plan is to build the fieldhouse which will no doubt include a larger indoor track.  The fieldhouse will also allow for some team locker rooms to moved there as well. So once that happens look for a total renovation of the ARC. My guess is that that will include removal of the track and and reconfiguring of seats to gain a bowl like setting, added rest rooms and concession stands and no doubt chairback seating in the lower level.  Many have said how they like the look of the new Loyola arena and that is what they have--chairback in lower and bleacher seating in upper.

The Arc is a very comfortable place which can become very exciting when packed.  Having fans "on top" of the court is fantastic and I hope will never change.

As for Augustana v. Valpo, other than D1 v, D3 and their much smaller basketball court, here's the big difference: at their most recent game against Miliken, which they lost, the attendance was (are you ready??) 347.  so with a capacity of 1900 that's what 18%?  If Valpo had the same turnout it would be about 900.

We all know that Valpo is a basketball school and all agree that the facilities are lacking.  It is a matter of priority and I seriously think there is a mindset in place to get things moving sooner rather than later.  ;)

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on February 21, 2013, 06:28:43 PMIf Valpo had the same turnout it would be about 900.
Would that be the Smith years?

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on February 21, 2013, 06:28:43 PM
The original plan called for adding seats that matched the seats on the south side, bringing capcity to about 10,000.  That won't happen (just my opinion--no insider stuff here).

As has been stated by  President Heckler, the plan is to build the fieldhouse which will no doubt include a larger indoor track.  The fieldhouse will also allow for some team locker rooms to moved there as well. So once that happens look for a total renovation of the ARC. My guess is that that will include removal of the track and and reconfiguring of seats to gain a bowl like setting, added rest rooms and concession stands and no doubt chairback seating in the lower level.  Many have said how they like the look of the new Loyola arena and that is what they have--chairback in lower and bleacher seating in upper.

The Arc is a very comfortable place which can become very exciting when packed.  Having fans "on top" of the court is fantastic and I hope will never change.

As for Augustana v. Valpo, other than D1 v, D3 and their much smaller basketball court, here's the big difference: at their most recent game against Miliken, which they lost, the attendance was (are you ready??) 347.  so with a capacity of 1900 that's what 18%?  If Valpo had the same turnout it would be about 900.

We all know that Valpo is a basketball school and all agree that the facilities are lacking.  It is a matter of priority and I seriously think there is a mindset in place to get things moving sooner rather than later.  ;)
Agree that 10K is way too many for little Valpo.  Like all of the lower level arena ideas

The ARC, in my mind, is the top priority,  so I was thinking of a two stage ARC time line more like:

STAGE 1
1)  build an addition off the north wall to bring some sports (i.e., football and future space for baseball and softball) into the locker/support complex and add additional rest rooms and concessions for the arena.  This could be done any time and if it takes a year, that's OK.
2)  Once the shell is complete, in offseason #1, pop out the north wall above that new space for moveable bleachers (like AA-EE) to achieve the semi-final capacity (adding about 1500 bleacher seats would bring interim capacity to about 7,000, and it provides another gym floor for non game days).  This would leave the current arena undisturbed and fully available.
3)  start building the field house for other sports and for the indoor track
STAGE 2 (offseason #2)
4)  renovate lower arena for chair back bowl configuration and achieve final capacity down to 6500.
5)  With football in the ARC, construct the baseball stadium and practice facility across Union.

By doing it this way the in season games will not be disturbed.  Eight months to redo the lower arena should suffice.

BTW I clipped the Augustana piece out of the quotes from the original discussion from way back  -- thinking that it was really not relevant to this discussion.

VULB#62

I was watching the coach interviews that were taped by the HLN this afternoon (or maybe yesterday) for the Friday night games.  The ARC actually looks ready for prime time.  This is the first time I've had a chance to see the ARC from that angle. I really like the color choices.  The chair-back seats look good. From 1000 miles away it appears to look like a D-I university arena (at least mid-major).  Most of the New England "mid majors" play in band boxes.

I do occasionally go to Boston College BB and hockey events and have attended events in the Boston University Agganis Center (Hockey is the BIGGIE). Both are 8000-8500 seats and all (except for floor-side for BB) are chair backs.  Looking at the Valpo venue on tape, I am far from embarrassed.  But, I acknowledge that in the Hoosier state some HS gyms are palaces (and I know some HS football stadiums are far above VU's -- and were talking IN, not TX, TX).

Regardless -- it's so great to bring the HL tourney to 46383

:popcorn:    This is a BTW:  Did all of you know that "Hoosiers" is a DEMONYM ?  I didn't know there was a word for it (but I do now).

A demonym (pron.: /ˈdɛmənɪm/), also referred to as a gentilic, is a name for a resident of a locality, and is usually, though not always, derived from the name of a locality;[1] the demonym for a resident of Britain is Briton, and the demonym for a resident of Canada is Canadian. Yet the most common English language demonym for the people of the Netherlands is Dutch (though the word Netherlander is also used).

Indianan?  Nah, Hoosier (like the Dutch).

okinawatyphoon

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but according to a new Torch article, ARC renovations may be around the corner.

"Changes to the Athletics-Recreation Center will be made to add more seating, and possible classroom renovations in the Neils Science Center."

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_5a54cc80-3d7d-11e3-aa55-0019bb30f31a.html
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpopal

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on October 26, 2013, 09:21:42 AM
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but according to a new Torch article, ARC renovations may be around the corner.

"Changes to the Athletics-Recreation Center will be made to add more seating...."

This agrees with information told to me by a Valpo official at the Homecoming football game, though he said he had no idea of the timetable.

valpotx

It looks like he must have listened to feedback from the MVC about the need to improve some facilities, with us finally adding a track, and expanding the ARC to 5,500 seats?
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

I think that would fantastic to have the ARC renovated and some more seats added. I just hope whatever they do to the ARC it doesn't quiet down the atmosphere because when that place is full... It is probably one of the most intimidating places to play for opposing teams.

Anybody know when these renovations are set to take place? This summer? or some undetermined time in the future?

VULB#62

Quote from: classof2014 on October 26, 2013, 05:06:12 PM
I think that would fantastic to have the ARC renovated and some more seats added. I just hope whatever they do to the ARC it doesn't quiet down the atmosphere because when that place is full... It is probably one of the most intimidating places to play for opposing teams.

Anybody know when these renovations are set to take place? This summer? or some undetermined time in the future?

This IMHO is typical of Valpo.  We get fairly firm projections on academic buildings, dorms, welcome centers, etc.  But when it comes to athletic facilities it is in the foggy distant future -- less commitment, more dream.  And has there been a press release that has firmly stated that the track will be be built before the start of the 2014 spring season?  No one, to my knowledge, has posted a direct release from the university on the start date for construction.  As a result I remain a skeptic.

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 26, 2013, 06:52:42 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on October 26, 2013, 05:06:12 PM

This IMHO is typical of Valpo.  We get fairly firm projections on academic buildings, dorms, welcome centers, etc.  But when it comes to athletic facilities it is in the foggy distant future -- less commitment, more dream.  And has there been a press release that has firmly stated that the track will be be built before the start of the 2014 spring season?  No one, to my knowledge, has posted a direct release from the university on the start date for construction.  As a result I remain a skeptic.

While I agree that the administration is foggy about athletic program details, I don't think they are particularly forthcoming about other campus buildings either. The official university construction page hasn't been updated in over a year (where's the info about the residence hall?). The residence hall updates have been made on the Residential Life Facebook page, but that project is having a real impact on that part of campus. Hopefully we will see a press release on the track soon.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on October 26, 2013, 04:40:24 PMIt looks like he must have listened to feedback from the MVC about the need to improve some facilities, with us finally adding a track, and expanding the ARC to 5,500 seats?

Where did the info come from that the ARC would only be expanded by 500 seats?

What good does adding 500 seats to the ARC do for recruiting?

500 seats will not allow the coaches to be able to tell recruits that they will play in a facility that doesn't look like a high school gym!

Come on! That's ridiculous!

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Maybe the 5,500 seats come in bowl format  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

If the lower area was to be reconstructed to be all plush seats but fewer and the upper level expanded, that could account for a net 500 seat gain.  Wouldn't look like a HS gym then.