• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

If I remember correctly, once Indiana could begin to relax Covid protocols, VU was working to get the band back. They didn't offer the $500 a member stipend until second semester of 2022-23 academic year. Now that the athletic department has had some time to find a full-time director, or a student director, they can move forward with ways to recruit, get out around campus and the community at-large, and get the music hopping around Brown Field and the ARC again. I'm not sure it was so much about the winning or losing as it was having the director, and being able to return to games post-Covid. In terms of Arch Madness, by the time the band was back to playing again, some of the members had already committed to Spring Break trips with other groups, and they had paid for those prior to knowing they would be in the reformed Pep Band. It will take a little time to rebuild the  band, but I think Dr. Small and President Padilla will make it happen in ways that Mark Heckler limited Mark LaBarbera's ability to grow anything in athletics, including the band.

VULB#62

Here's hoping you are right.  :thumbsup:

Dr. T

Here's what I'm thinking ...

You know you go to a hotel and turn the bathroom vanity light on and are like, "Woah!!!! Is this seriously what I look like on the daily?!?"

Once the shock factor wears off, you're like: "I didn't even know I had a mole there or a scratch here, etc. And, boy oh boy are these wrinkles getting deep!"

The point being: The new lights will cause the powers-that-be to make some low-cost, high-aesthetic impact decisions in the short term that make the ARC a bit more exhilarating—Ex: Some fresh paint ... etc.

wh

In addition to aesthetics, how about a player introduction video that gets the crowd pumped up. Here's what Roger has been part of for the past 5 years (crank up the volume):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DxjcfsXuc0A&feature=share

crusader05

They've already completely repainted the ARC and railings and doors right before changing the lights. It looks like it went from the dingy beige and yellow to white throughout and the railing went from yellow to black
https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1664701678929559552?s=20

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on June 13, 2023, 05:27:02 PM
They've already completely repainted the ARC and railings and doors right before changing the lights. It looks like it went from the dingy beige and yellow to white throughout and the railing went from yellow to black

Jimmy Lemke chimed in with a smart ass comment about our new lights, so I thought I would see how Milwaukee has been doing since we left the HL. Not surprisingly, the answer is absolutely nothing.

Last regular season championship 2011
Last conference tournament championship 2014
Last NCAA tournament appearance

Major metropolitan area, great arena, terrible men's bb program. Steady as she goes, lol.

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on June 13, 2023, 05:27:02 PM

The only thing left to do is get rid of the Bud Light sign.

valpotx

Jimmy is still butt hurt about his Panthers not getting the MVC invite, because they suck :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

The reason that UWM did not get an invite to the MVC is attendance and general interest of their basketball program in Milwaukee.

NativeCheesehead

Never understood the Bud Light hate. It's the perfect drink to pair with anything at Cracker Barrel after a long day shopping at Target.

valpo64

Is there any talk about replacing the sound system?

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on June 14, 2023, 08:43:59 AM
Never understood the Bud Light hate. It's the perfect drink to pair with anything at Cracker Barrel after a long day shopping at Target.

"Modelo Especial, the Mexican lager brewed near Mexico City by Constellation Brands, became the top-selling beer in May, overthrowing Bud Light from the top spot it has held for more than two decades."

A better beer IMHO and a better choice to support President Padilla's initiative to engage the Hispanic community.

VALPO LI

Quote from: wh on June 15, 2023, 07:58:08 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on June 14, 2023, 08:43:59 AM

"Modelo Especial, the Mexican lager brewed near Mexico City by Constellation Brands, became the top-selling beer in May, overthrowing Bud Light from the top spot it has held for more than two decades."

A better beer IMHO and a better choice to support President Padilla's initiative to engage the Hispanic community.

They could be selling Old Style and I'd be thrilled.
I'm just happy they sell BEER!!!!!
Shine on Vu

VULB#62

I asked this on another, non-facility string as kind of an tack-on question. No one responded. So I'll try again here:

Why, since it opened in 1984 (39 years ago), haven't the ARC's south side wood bleacher seats been upgraded to retractable chairbacks to match the north side? 

I'm pretty sure it would only reduce capacity a bit, but insignificantly IMO. It would require no significant renovation or construction while improving the arena's appearance with minimal investment. So, why not add better quality seating that appeals to season ticket holders and also creates a bowl-like atmosphere that helps a bit to differentiate the arena from its biggest criticism — that it's just a big HS gym?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 26, 2023, 10:55:56 AM
I asked this on another, non-facility string as kind of an tack-on question. No one responded. So I'll try again here:

Why, since it opened in 1984 (39 years ago), haven't the ARC's south side wood bleacher seats been upgraded to retractable chairbacks to match the north side? 

I'm pretty sure it would only reduce capacity a bit, but insignificantly IMO. It would require no significant renovation or construction while improving the arena's appearance with minimal investment. So, why not add better quality seating that appeals to season ticket holders and also creates a bowl-like atmosphere that helps a bit to differentiate the arena from its biggest criticism — that it's just a big HS gym?

I'm guessing the cost.  I did a quick look on the internet and found cost run from $100-$500 a seat, plus demolition and installation.  So, if there are 1500 seats that's $150,000-$750,000.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on June 26, 2023, 11:33:04 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on June 26, 2023, 10:55:56 AM

I'm guessing the cost.  I did a quick look on the internet and found cost run from $100-$500 a seat, plus demolition and installation.  Do if there are 1500 seats that's $150,000-$750,000.

Thanks 72.  That might also account for not doing it in the first place — a corner to cut to reduce initial cost — even at 1984 prices. But, of course, winning will put butts on bleacher seats just as they would chairbacks I guess. 

Yet, if the envisioned new arena is, say, realistically 5-8+ years down the road, an upgrade now might be worth the investment over that time. For instance, it might be fun to put together packages that might, as a part of the contract, guarantee the same seat in the new arena (@ a premium now, but a savings later) that would help, in part, pay for the upgrade.  Just spitballing.......   ::)

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: valporun on June 11, 2023, 11:16:28 AM
If I remember correctly, once Indiana could begin to relax Covid protocols, VU was working to get the band back. They didn't offer the $500 a member stipend until second semester of 2022-23 academic year. Now that the athletic department has had some time to find a full-time director, or a student director, they can move forward with ways to recruit, get out around campus and the community at-large, and get the music hopping around Brown Field and the ARC again. I'm not sure it was so much about the winning or losing as it was having the director, and being able to return to games post-Covid. In terms of Arch Madness, by the time the band was back to playing again, some of the members had already committed to Spring Break trips with other groups, and they had paid for those prior to knowing they would be in the reformed Pep Band. It will take a little time to rebuild the  band, but I think Dr. Small and President Padilla will make it happen in ways that Mark Heckler limited Mark LaBarbera's ability to grow anything in athletics, including the band.

Before the start of every home game, Homer would walk over to the student section and applaud the students and then applaud the band separately. Some coaches just know intuitively the importance of expressing their gratitude to students who go the extra mile in supporting their program.

https://twitter.com/LSUfootball/status/1692165631955853665?s=20

VULB#62

And I'd add that Vashil always seemed to wind up in the student section after the final buzzer. Win or lose, the players and coaches need to express their thanks to the students.

The more they do it the more students will show up.
The more students that show up, the more raucous the atmosphere.
The more raucous the atmosphere, the more pressure on opponents.
The more pressure on opponents, the tougher it is for them to get into rhythm.
The more.... Well you get my drift.

vu84v2

wh and vulb make some really good points here. The important thing to note is that, beyond winning and then getting good opponents at home, everything else related to (re)building a strong program is associated with doing many things that seem little - but cumulatively build identity. The coach and players recognizing and welcoming the students and other fans is just one of these many little (but important) things.

Dr. T

I agree with the sentiments expressed concerning the seating. Honestly, the chairbacks are far from comfortable. I've yet to make the move paying quite a btit extra for the chairback season tickets comparative to bleacher seating. Why? I bring cushions and, quite honestly, it makes it more comfortable than the chairbacks in general. Granted, it's crammed in the bleachers. Even walking up and down the stairs of the chairback section, they're rickety & wobbly. Not quite sure how they're deemed safe, tbh.

That said, there's really not many seats/sections that are super ADA compliant in my humble opinion (at least for him). I have a parent who would like to come but has a very difficult time doing so given the overall "meh" arrangement.

David81

Quote from: wh on June 13, 2023, 05:15:46 PMIn addition to aesthetics, how about a player introduction video that gets the crowd pumped up. Here's what Roger has been part of for the past 5 years (crank up the volume):
&feature=share

Ya know something, that highlight video speaks volumes about the humongous difference between getting Coach Powell right after Bryce left vs. getting him today, for he now understands in close detail what it takes for a mid-major to be consistently relevant in March. He returns to VU fully aware -- in living color -- of the huge contrasts between Gonzaga and our current situation, yet he believes that VU can become a presence in the NCAA tournament.

Furthermore, while the new facility being discussed is an exciting prospect, both Coach Powell and Dr. Small understand that putting the energy back into whatever building the team calls home is a huge key to that success.

In one of the VU General Discussion items, some of us have discussed the galvanizing effect that O.P. Kretzmann had on the small VU community in 1940, when he gave his inaugural address in the Hilltop Gymnasium. Among other things, he invited people to envision a university much better and more influential than its current, very modest condition. In his own way, Coach Powell is breathing that kind of life into the MBB program. It's hardly a guarantee of success, but I don't think we could've landed a better guy to answer the question of whether VU can beat the odds as a mid-major trying to outpunch its weight in the current NCAA environment.

VULB#62

Ya know, it's kinda disturbing to have Purdue - Fort Wayne's athletic facilities include an on-campus, 90,000 square foot indoor field house, office complex and locker facilities named The Lutheran Health Field House

It's a bit embarrassing. Wouldn't you think Valpo could better generate a Lutheran-connected sponsor for its facilities?  Maybe not Lutheran Health cuz that sounds like a Ft. Wayne local/regional healthcare provider, but how about Thrivent?

Just asking for a friend.  ;)

valpo64

I agree with you VULB#62...I wonder if the  University has ever pursued the ideas of sponsorship with Thrivent, including that of  being  a major donor to a new Arena project.  I would think we have tried that route but who knows.  With the expanded role Thrivent has taken regarding those eligible to purchase products from Thrivent I would think their expanded market would lend itself well to sponsorship in a broad based "Lutheran" university like Valpo.