• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

For those of us who grew up in Indiana and are a little familiar with some of the more well-known high school venues in this State,  there a number of large high school arenas that make many college facilities look like grade school gyms.....how about New Castle for example that seats nearly 10,000     I don't believe that Cameron at Duke is anything to brag about and it  only seats about 6,000 or whatever

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on October 27, 2013, 12:49:28 AMMaybe the 5,500 seats come in bowl format  :)

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 27, 2013, 08:33:35 AMIf the lower area was to be reconstructed to be all plush seats but fewer and the upper level expanded, that could account for a net 500 seat gain.  Wouldn't look like a HS gym then.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. It sounds like the administration is trying to get by on the cheap for ARC expansion and again athletic facilities will not get anything like what academic facilities will be getting. I sure would like to hear more details.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on October 27, 2013, 12:58:19 PMFor those of us who grew up in Indiana and are a little familiar with some of the more well-known high school venues in this State,  there a number of large high school arenas that make many college facilities look like grade school gyms.....how about New Castle for example that seats nearly 10,000     I don't believe that Cameron at Duke is anything to brag about and it  only seats about 6,000 or whatever

NEW CASTLE HIGH SCHOOL

I have to admit the bowl seating sure makes the facility look a lot better.

CAMERON INDOOR ARENA
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

Let's face it, it is the total overall package that makes the difference....proximity , noise, big time home court advantage, not necessarily a large, plush venue

Valpofan00

Valpo might as well start fresh....The ARC will be a pretty big mess to clean up.

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on October 27, 2013, 12:58:19 PM
For those of us who grew up in Indiana and are a little familiar with some of the more well-known high school venues in this State,  there a number of large high school arenas that make many college facilities look like grade school gyms.....how about New Castle for example that seats nearly 10,000     I don't believe that Cameron at Duke is anything to brag about and it  only seats about 6,000 or whatever

The New Castle Fieldhouse is a great symbol of a time past when Hoosier Hysteria was Hoosier Hysteria.  To build something like that today would be considered a tax-funded boondoggle, and would never fly at the local level.  Thankfully, there is a growing sentiment among the 50% of us who actually pay taxes that we are taxed enough already...

historyman

Quote from: wh on October 27, 2013, 04:06:56 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on October 27, 2013, 12:58:19 PMFor those of us who grew up in Indiana and are a little familiar with some of the more well-known high school venues in this State,  there a number of large high school arenas that make many college facilities look like grade school gyms.....how about New Castle for example that seats nearly 10,000     I don't believe that Cameron at Duke is anything to brag about and it  only seats about 6,000 or whatever
The New Castle Fieldhouse is a great symbol of a time past when Hoosier Hysteria was Hoosier Hysteria.  To build something like that today would be considered a tax-funded boondoggle, and would never fly at the local level.  Thankfully, there is a growing sentiment among the 50% of us who actually pay taxes that we are taxed enough already...
Actually New Castle Fieldhouse was paid for with mostly donated money.

QuoteThe good folks of New Castle welcome visitors. Heck, go at noon, and dozens of citizens will join you, walking the track that circles the top of the fieldhouse. The school opens the gym for such recreation, and it's only proper, since the locals made the arena possible, having raised $1 million in donations and bond sales for the construction in the 1950s after the local school board decided not to fund a new gym.

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/a-cathedral-to-high-school-hoops-the-fieldhouse-at-new-castle-indiana.33695/

historyman

I was reading a story on installing hand rails in New Castle Fieldhouse in the local paper which gave some details about the original funding of the fieldhouse.

QuoteBowman brought the issue to the forefront earlier this year, saying many of New Castle's most dedicated basketball fans were older now and having difficulty navigating the steep steps of the fieldhouse aisles. She emphasized many of these people were involved in the original "Gym Now" campaign that helped raise $200,000 to help build what is now a nationally-known facility.

Bowman has emphasized she has someone locally who will pay for the project. "It isn't going to cost the school anything," Bowman said.
http://www.thecouriertimes.com/Main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=4&ArticleID=282374

valpo04

Cameron Indoor seats over 9,000.

milanmiracle

Heck, go down the street to Michigan City and see one of the Top 20 largest gyms in the country. I am just sad the Wigwam closed.  :'(
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

bbtds

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 03, 2013, 08:35:34 PM
Heck, go down the street to Michigan City and see one of the Top 20 largest gyms in the country. I am just sad the Wigwam closed.  :'(

The Final home game at the Anderson Indians' Wigwam against Indy Chatard

Anderson Indians (Indian and Maiden Dance/Pre-Game) HD - 2/24/2011

This was in 2011 when they merged Anderson Highland High School (the Scotsmen) and Anderson High School and shut down the older school. Today Anderson High School is in the previous Anderson Highland building but they kept the Indian mascot because it was the older and more traditional symbol of Anderson athletics.

valpospartan

Quote from: bbtds on November 03, 2013, 09:49:35 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on November 03, 2013, 08:35:34 PM

The Final home game at the Anderson Indians' Wigwam against Indy Chatard

Anderson Indians (Indian and Maiden Dance/Pre-Game) HD - 2/24/2011

This was in 2011 when they merged Anderson Highland High School (the Scotsmen) and Anderson High School and shut down the older school. Today Anderson High School is in the previous Anderson Highland building but they kept the Indian mascot because it was the older and more traditional symbol of Anderson athletics.

This video reminded me of when I attended a hall of fame exhibition at the Wigwam, that Valparaiso, Anderson, Anderson Highland and another high school played.  The two Anderson schools played each other and the pregame indian dance was spectacular.  The funny thing was the Indian and the highlander's Scotsman standing on opposite sides of the center circle, back to back, ramrod straight, while their teams warmed up.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on November 03, 2013, 09:49:35 PMToday Anderson High School is in the previous Anderson Highland building but they kept the Indian mascot because it was the older and more traditional symbol of Anderson athletics.
At least until white people who are outraged at Native Americans' lack of outrage at the Anderson mascot will force them to change it, sure.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 04, 2013, 08:59:23 AM
Quote from: bbtds on November 03, 2013, 09:49:35 PMToday Anderson High School is in the previous Anderson Highland building but they kept the Indian mascot because it was the older and more traditional symbol of Anderson athletics.
At least until white people who are outraged at Native Americans' lack of outrage at the Anderson mascot will force them to change it, sure.
In truth it's only the NCAA that has gone after Native American mascots (Chief Illiniwek at Illinois, UND Fighting Sioux, Stanford's change from Indians to Cardinal in 1975 and many others). The NFL still lets the Redskins use that nickname and many many high schools have the nicknames of Indians, Braves, Redskins, Tribe Names etc.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on November 04, 2013, 12:50:45 PMThe NFL still lets the Redskins use that nickname
fer now...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Indiana has 12 of the largest 13 HS gyms in the country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_high_school_gyms_in_the_United_States

Here is a list of Indiana HS gyms:

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/gyms.htm

valpotx

Good lord.  I am very surprised that Native American communities haven't said something about that routine.  I would imagine that neither dancer is a true Native American?  I don't agree with the changes in mascots (except possibly Redskins), but you would think someone would be all over this if they know about it.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

I had never heard about Heritage Court at the Sanford Pentagon before.  Looks pretty cool:

A perfect example of how a small building (seats 3,200) can still look/feel like something more than a HS gym.

http://www.sanfordpentagon.com/page/show/871372-heritage-court

wh

VULB#62

Second that.  Plenty of room on the baselines for a student section.

78crusader

In Dubuque today so I took a photo of the football stadium at the University of Dubuque.  They play in the Iowa Conference.  This conference consists of schools such as UD, Loras, Central, Luther, Wartburg, Buena Vista, Simpson, Coe, and Cornell.  I'm missing a school or two in there.  I've been to most of the stadiums.  The one pictured here at UD is not the nicest one in the conference -- they are almost all really nice stadiums.  So, before anyone else says that we must upgrade the ARC before Brown Field, keep in mind this picture and that it serves as a reminder what a challenge our new football coach will have in building a winning tradition.  I think we have a great AD, but we need a new stadium. 

Paul

http://imageshack.com/a/img34/1084/1apl.jpg

VULB#62

Nice pic 78.  Though smallish (4000 capacity) it has a big-time permanent stadium feel.  Press box is quite sizable and I did a Google Maps fly-over to find out that the main grandstand is integrated with the their arena.  Lighting is really good.  No mistaking that for a typical high school stadium like Brown Field.

The link below to the DU athletic facilities website shows an ariel view.  Impressive.  Even more impressive for a 1600 student institution

http://www.dbq.edu/athletics/facilities/chalmersfieldanddouglasjmillertrack/

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 20, 2013, 06:05:20 AMThe link below to the DU athletic facilities website shows an ariel view.
indeed

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpotx on November 05, 2013, 12:40:22 AM
Good lord.  I am very surprised that Native American communities haven't said something about that routine.  I would imagine that neither dancer is a true Native American?  I don't agree with the changes in mascots (except possibly Redskins), but you would think someone would be all over this if they know about it.

IF, and that's a big IF I remember correctly, the dance was taught to the school by Native Americans...so I don't think they have a problem with it.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

bbtds

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 24, 2013, 04:44:50 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 05, 2013, 12:40:22 AM

IF, and that's a big IF I remember correctly, the dance was taught to the school by Native Americans...so I don't think they have a problem with it.

I know this annual powwow is held in Anderson. I don't know if that means they taught the AHS dancers their dance routine.

http://www.andersontownpowwow.org/PDF/2005PressReleaseMarthaHall.pdf

http://www.andersontownpowwow.org/dance.html

Also Mounds State Park in Anderson has held some Native American events.

Which probably goes back to why AHS adopted the nickname Indians many years ago. 

EDIT: After reading through the Andersontown Powwow website I noticed that Anderson is named after Chief Anderson, who was the tribal leader of a tribe of Delaware Indians, on the White River, in a village called Kikthawenund, located within the city limits of Anderson.