• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

So the longer walk from parking is a "BIRCH"?   I don't understand.   :)

VULB#62

That is a great point, WH. I even noticed the same issue for home FB games and the attendance comparison isn't even close.

Now, I might be wrong on this but doesn't the university own a lot of vacant land just north of Brown Field that just sits there unused? I believe a hospital once occupied that area  ::)

A simple grading with a compressed stone surface (not even blacktopped) for a few hundred cars would vastly improve the parking situation close to the ARC.

Acessability and convenience significantly improve the game day experience IMO. I know that if it's easy in and easy out and  closeby, I am more likely to attend an event.  So without even rennovating the ARC, this little improvement might make the difference for a few hundred casual fans each home game. BTW, if they were to take this step, it needs to be part of the pregame publicity build-up.
Quote from: wh on March 28, 2017, 12:25:37 AM
Inexplicably, over the past 3-4 years the university has eliminated every general parking area and all on-street parking in every direction surrounding the ARC, rendering it the most difficult-to-access sports venue I personally have ever encountered - anywhere, any sport, any level.

West:
• The new sorority row has eliminated the vacant lots that provided dozens of parking spots for basketball attendees for many years.
• "No parking" signs were placed on Union Street when the sororities were finished, eliminating numerous parking spots accessed by basketball attendees for generations.
• Parking on the north side of Monroe was eliminated in the middle of this year's bb season, wiping out a block-long area of desperately needed public parking for basketball games.
• As a result of these changes, parking on the south side of Monroe and both sides of Brown is now jammed with cars day and night, eliminating even more parking availability for basketball attendees.

North:

• The former "tennis court" parking lot was eliminated when the track was built, eliminating dozens of parking spots.

East:

• 4 or 5 years ago parking on both sides of McIntyre Court was designated "resident parking only (by permit), eliminating numerous parking spots.
• The parking area in front of the old bookstore has been designated handicap only. By the way, it is marked by an unlighted temporary ground-level sign, and is a constant source of confusion for people desperately searching for general parking. It is also the only area anywhere close to the ARC designated for handicap parking and is always jam packed, meaning some number of handicap vehicles are out of luck.
• The only remaining available parking to the east are the parking lots adjacent to the softball field, a quarter to a half mile away.

South:

• The parking lot across the street from the ARC used to provide prime general parking for early arrivers, but no longer. The first 2 rows have been roped off and designated as "Gold Parking" only, a premium add-on option for season ticket holders. The rest of the lot is jammed before 6p with adjacent dorm parkers, sorority parkers, and who knows who else. I can personally attest to this, as I intentionally came at 6p at the last 2 home games, and was told by a university police officer at the entrance to the lot that it was full. By the way, a police car is always there with lights flashing. This adds to the confusion as people looking for parking naturally gravitate to the flashing lights, thinking the cop is there to direct them in, only to be shooed away. As for the new restricted rows - often no more than half full.

So where are the general admission and regular season ticket holders and casual attendees expected to park?  Not the old hospital parking garage. That's closed and the entrances barricaded. That leaves the parking area to the immediate south of the garage and a limited number of spots across the street to the south. Of course, neither of those lots are close to the ARC, just like the lots adjacent to the softball field are no where close.

Oh, how about the parking next to the building on the west and north sides. All reserved exclusively for Athletic Department staff, university president and trustees, high dollar donors, and players.

To put this in perspective, picture your local Walmart with the best parking spots up against the building reserved for corporate officials who almost never use them and every employee from the store manager down to the janitor. Picture the store parking lot full of cars from adjacent apartment buildings that don't have their own parking. Picture a security guard at the entrance of the "Walmart" parking lot, directing cars to parking lots belonging to other businesses from 1-4 blocks away.

Then picture a group of people with strong ties to that particular Walmart from days gone by wondering on a message board why the customer base has fallen so dramatically in recent times, when the store's products are as good or better than they've ever been. And then proposing solutions like "they need to modernize the inside of the building" or "they need to do a better job of marketing," or "they need to make the building bigger" or "they shouldn't make the building bigger until more customers start showing up." 

Thus is the 800 pound gorilla no one is talking about. What is perceived as an outdated college basketball venue in need of updating is more accurately a completely landlocked, outdated college basketball venue in desperate need of easy-access parking that the university has either eliminated or repurposed for other needs.

jsher3141

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 28, 2017, 10:23:53 AM
That is a great point, WH. I even noticed the same issue for home FB games and the attendance comparison isn't even close.

Now, I might be wrong on this but doesn't the university own a lot of vacant land just north of Brown Field that just sits there unused? I believe a hospital once occupied that area  ::)

A simple grading with a compressed stone surface (not even blacktopped) for a few hundred cars would vastly improve the parking situation close to the ARC.

Quote from: wh on March 28, 2017, 12:25:37 AM
Inexplicably, over the past 3-4 years the university has eliminated every general parking area and all on-street parking in every direction surrounding the ARC, rendering it the most difficult-to-access sports venue I personally have ever encountered - anywhere, any sport, any level.

West:
• The new sorority row has eliminated the vacant lots that provided dozens of parking spots for basketball attendees for many years.
• "No parking" signs were placed on Union Street when the sororities were finished, eliminating numerous parking spots accessed by basketball attendees for generations.
• Parking on the north side of Monroe was eliminated in the middle of this year's bb season, wiping out a block-long area of desperately needed public parking for basketball games.
• As a result of these changes, parking on the south side of Monroe and both sides of Brown is now jammed with cars day and night, eliminating even more parking availability for basketball attendees.

North:

• The former "tennis court" parking lot was eliminated when the track was built, eliminating dozens of parking spots.

East:

• 4 or 5 years ago parking on both sides of McIntyre Court was designated "resident parking only (by permit), eliminating numerous parking spots.
• The parking area in front of the old bookstore has been designated handicap only. By the way, it is marked by an unlighted temporary ground-level sign, and is a constant source of confusion for people desperately searching for general parking. It is also the only area anywhere close to the ARC designated for handicap parking and is always jam packed, meaning some number of handicap vehicles are out of luck.
• The only remaining available parking to the east are the parking lots adjacent to the softball field, a quarter to a half mile away.

South:

• The parking lot across the street from the ARC used to provide prime general parking for early arrivers, but no longer. The first 2 rows have been roped off and designated as "Gold Parking" only, a premium add-on option for season ticket holders. The rest of the lot is jammed before 6p with adjacent dorm parkers, sorority parkers, and who knows who else. I can personally attest to this, as I intentionally came at 6p at the last 2 home games, and was told by a university police officer at the entrance to the lot that it was full. By the way, a police car is always there with lights flashing. This adds to the confusion as people looking for parking naturally gravitate to the flashing lights, thinking the cop is there to direct them in, only to be shooed away. As for the new restricted rows - often no more than half full.

So where are the general admission and regular season ticket holders and casual attendees expected to park?  Not the old hospital parking garage. That's closed and the entrances barricaded. That leaves the parking area to the immediate south of the garage and a limited number of spots across the street to the south. Of course, neither of those lots are close to the ARC, just like the lots adjacent to the softball field are no where close.

Oh, how about the parking next to the building on the west and north sides. All reserved exclusively for Athletic Department staff, university president and trustees, high dollar donors, and players.

To put this in perspective, picture your local Walmart with the best parking spots up against the building reserved for corporate officials who almost never use them and every employee from the store manager down to the janitor. Picture the store parking lot full of cars from adjacent apartment buildings that don't have their own parking. Picture a security guard at the entrance of the "Walmart" parking lot, directing cars to parking lots belonging to other businesses from 1-4 blocks away.

Then picture a group of people with strong ties to that particular Walmart from days gone by wondering on a message board why the customer base has fallen so dramatically in recent times, when the store's products are as good or better than they've ever been. And then proposing solutions like "they need to modernize the inside of the building" or "they need to do a better job of marketing," or "they need to make the building bigger" or "they shouldn't make the building bigger until more customers start showing up." 

Thus is the 800 pound gorilla no one is talking about. What is perceived as an outdated college basketball venue in need of updating is more accurately a completely landlocked, outdated college basketball venue in desperate need of easy-access parking that the university has either eliminated or repurposed for other needs.

Figured I'd chime in on this.

I believe the original plan was to rehab the old hospital parking garage, and make the the main parking for all athletic events.  Work did start on this a few years back on the top two levels.  The lower level was open for parking (I parked in the garage for the home NIT games), until this time last year, when the whole garage was re-closed and work stopped.   The rehab hasn't gone quite as expected (it needed ALOT of work), and may even be dead in the water.

The university put a wide sidewalk from the garage, across the old hospital property, to the NW corner of the ARC.  The lot just east of the garage is still open, with a newly reconstructed entrance along LaPorte Ave. The lot on the north side of Lincolnway just behind the garage, next to La Cabana, is also open for parking.  The walk to the ARC is about 900 feet from the front of the old parking garage. This also happens to be nearly the exact same distance as the walk from the lots by the softball field/tennis courts

I attended the Oakland game this year, and the walk from their garage to the arena entrance (the closest parking I found) was just barely longer the ours, at 1000 feet.  Granted, it's no UIC, where the garage is literally right next door to the Pavilion (BUT with a 5$ charge).

The parking situation is not the same as it used to be, but i think it is far from a dire situation.  Parking exists plentifully near the old hospital garage (just a few hundred feet further than parking on the open old hospital property as was suggested).  People just need to use it. They usually even have a police officer stopping traffic to help people cross LaPorte Ave. The university has been trying to remove traffic from campus for years now, it's nothing new. Hence the attempt to move the main general parking to the old hospital parking garage.

FWalum

Quote from: jsher3141 on March 28, 2017, 10:51:59 AMInexplicably, over the past 3-4 years the university has eliminated every general parking area and all on-street parking in every direction surrounding the ARC, rendering it the most difficult-to-access sports venue I personally have ever encountered - anywhere, any sport, any level.
Asking anyone at the LBAA event this past weekend and they would probably agree that parking was very confusing, especially on Friday when the old Dau/Kreinheder lot was closed to attendees and I guess reserved to university use only.  The event was great again, as usual, and the only complaint was about parking, exacerbated by the fact that it rained all weekend and you would be soaked by the time you walked to the ARC.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

I thought the parking garage on the old hospital property was gto b e used for ARC parking.  Is it not used at all, or partially, or what?

VULB#62

It was condemed as structurally unsafe. Haven't heard if it is repairable at this point.

crusader05

Some of the parking changes were by the city, specifically those in front of the sorority house and mcIntyre street. The plan was to use the parking garage which is not not able to be rehabbed. We have generally parked on Laporte Street and found it easy and at least as quick of a walk as the parking lot near Mueller.  The other issue we are just seeing is increased students which means increased cars as well as an increased commuter population. I'd say parking spaces are the biggest growing points the university is having regards it's enrollment growth. I don't think it' sa huge deal though. I've been coming to Valpo basketball games for years and it's always been known that if you don't get in to one of the closer garages your'e doing some street parking. I remember walking from the law school to the Arc before. It never really bothered me. I do know there is a plan to have at least one other parking garage on campus so hopefully that will help with spots and maybe they can dedicate half of the lot across from the arc as parking for sports events

VULB#62

For die hard fans it's probably no big deal and, like the "how to boil a frog" story, die hards just have gotten used to the inconvenience.  WH says as much in his original post.  He dislikes the current conditions, but he keeps on returning for games.  But the discussion over time has really focused on how do we get new butts in the seats consistently and (a) stop the "decrease" trend and (2) move to an "increase" trend would be greatly facilitated by more, closer, and easier parking.   

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 28, 2017, 12:12:23 PM
It was condemed as structurally unsafe. Haven't heard if it is repairable at this point.

I've heard the old hospital parking garage won't be repaired and is a non-factor at this point.

4throwfan

I agree with WH.

Parking is a SUBSTANTIAL issue for my group, which has had season tickets for 7 or so years, and includes a "seasoned" fan.  So much is that difficulty, that the "seasoned" fan may not be able to come much longer.  To my eye, the easy fix seems to be crushed gravel on the empty lot where the hospital sat.  Put a couple of entrances onto LaPorte, and the problem is substantially (but not fully) solved.

We have not had many sellouts in the last couple of years, but when we do, it's bad.  It is hard to navigate the streets.  Newcomers, out-of-towners, elderly, and folks with very small children should not be asked to park at the Law School.  That's not good marketing.  And, it's just not safe.

wh

So, ml is saying they haven't even talked about facility upgrades. And, the only way anything will happen is through a donor.

I seriously doubt that "what you see is what you get, unless we win the lottery" would pass muster on an MVC questionnaire.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on April 01, 2017, 09:47:42 AM
So, ml is saying they haven't even talked about facility upgrades. And, the only way anything will happen is through a donor.

I seriously doubt that "what you see is what you get, unless we win the lottery" would pass muster on an MVC questionnaire.

Too bad that's the #1-100 reasons a stadium is completed anywhere, anytime. 

Give the man credit, he's speaking openly and honestly.  Let's applaud improved communication.  I seriously doubt that a drowning (purposely overstated) HL or MVC will be able to dock points because there aren't enough schools Loyola size to take up a glaringly vacant spot.

usc4valpo

This response is a whacked out brainstorm.

If a significant renovation is required, which I think so, how can we help to accomplish this. Can we all get together and "build" this, similar to the community building the chapel in the movie Lilies in the Field? Ok, perhaps the pain medications are doing something to my brain, but what if there was an opportunity for the Valpo community to build at a piece of this to move this need forward? Think of how people would perceive this if we could place our effort, monetary and non monetary, into this. Find an architect for the project, find leaders and move forward. a grass roots result would be a cool story.

Again, I am on pain mess after surgery, so take this a thought.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 01, 2017, 10:05:14 AM
Quote from: wh on April 01, 2017, 09:47:42 AM

Too bad that's the #1-100 reasons a stadium is completed anywhere, anytime. 

Give the man credit, he's speaking openly and honestly.  Let's applaud improved communication.  I seriously doubt that a drowning (purposely overstated) HL or MVC will be able to dock points because there aren't enough schools Loyola size to take up a glaringly vacant spot.

ML's statement didn't appear in a vacuum. There have been ARC facility upgrade discussions ad nauseam long before you arrived on the scene. For instance, some on this board have left the impression that an ARC upgrade initiative is part of a long term plan, but only after a multi purpose facility is built. Then there was this comment made by ml2 (son of ml and former AD staff member) when the MVC came calling in 2013:

Quote from: ml2 on April 10, 2013, 11:54:48 PM
Quote from: wh on April 10, 2013, 04:52:16 PMI'm sure that whoever represented Valpo conveyed how they have big plans for facility improvements in the future, but why would anyone believe them. Excuses and promises don't make for a very convincing presentation.

I think an effective response to a question like this could be made. One possible example would go something like this: "Over the last 20 years this University has said that it would build a Center for the Arts, a Library, a Student Union, an Arts & Sciences Building, a Welcome Center and an addition to the Engineering Building. Now all of these buildings are here, just like we said. So when we say that in X years projects Y and Z will be complete, you can rest assured that it will happen."

Apparently, the university had a story to tell the MVC back then about plans for facility improvements - at least that's the impression ml2 gave.  So, here we are 4 years later, and not only has the University made no progress on improvements in the past 4 years, ml is now saying there are in fact no such plans to do anything - they haven't even talked about it. The term retrogression comes to mind.

I will agree with you about 1 thing. It is good that ml is being open and honest. Now we know this whole thing is a facade. Valpo basketball is what it is; there is no upward trajectory - real or imagined. 

valpo64

For some reason, I can't help but thinking that somewhere behind the scenes something is going on regarding ARC renovation.  Whether it is a potential big individual donor or whatever, I just think that this elephant in the room(ARC) has been recognized and something will be done in the next few years.  (On a side note, this stuff I have been drinking is pretty darn good.)

VU2014

It's little disturbing that President Heckler and the Board do not realize the moral boost the Men's Basketball program has on the Alumni base... it truly disheartening they don't see this...

ARC renovations are not just about improving fan experience. It's about taking a step up in College athletics. Better facilities lead to better recruits and attracting/retaining coaching talent. All this leads to a better/more consistent product on the court which means increased alumni morale/pride which leads to many more donations and a more active alumni base which is what they want! This is not just pie in the sky stuff.

It's is just completely disheartening hearing there is not even a semblance of a plan... I want to be clear I'm not disappointed in athletics department leadership, but instead very disappointed in the Administrative leadership and President Heckler.

VU2014

It is completely and utterly pathetic that President Heckler and the Board doesn't realize that many people outside the Midwest know Valparaiso University BECAUSE of the BASKETBALL TEAM!!

Valpo is very well respected from within the Midwest for its academics but when you get out of the Midwest Valpo has name recognition from Basketball. Would it not be wise to invest in one of your Greatest marketing and PR products you have to reach folks outside the Midwest!?

Would anyone know Gonzaga, Belmont, Creighton, St. Mary's, etc outside their respected regions without their respected Basketball programs?

I have been in Job interviews outside the Midwest and when they see Valpo on my resume they often ask me about the basketball team and comes up in conversation. I know I'm not the only one of friends that has experienced this.

Take notice President Heckler.

usc4valpo

2014 - you are so correct! In the eighties when I moved to LA, very few people ever heard of Valparaiso. when I interviewed for engineering positions, one asked me if Valpo was an accredidated school!

There is no question that the basketball program has done more for Valparaiso University overall than what university has done for the basketball program.

One issue I counter on is that student and alumni engagement needs improvement. Again, when attendance drops for a game results due to Frat rush, that excuse is unacceptable - with a quality team, would other schools have that bogus excuse?

crusadermoe

The issue of leveraging basketball has been a MASSIVE blind spot for Valpo leadership since the 1998 Sweet Sixteen miracle. For some reason the new basketball-driven notoriety was almost feared by the academics and leadersip. Consequently it was hidden under a bushel like the little gospel light.s

The university now has its new library, new union, and new chapel renovations, and new academic building, new sorority building, new dormitory.  All were good strategic moves.  But time doesn't wait for you to capitalize in marketing windows.

Seemingly it cost us an MVC bid already. If you are an MVC committee member touring the buildings on the campus and then you walk into the ARC, you can't miss the unspoken message about prioirities no matter what else we say.

M

Facilities did not cost Valpo a MVC bid, you have to let that go.

Edit: I'm not saying it won't cost them the next time around.

VU2014

Quote from: M on April 01, 2017, 08:01:46 PM

M is right that the facilities weren't the real reason we didn't get the invite over Loyola.

The MVC gave the invite to Loyola because of the market. They thought if they gave the invite to Loyola then suddenly the MVC would be getting higher ratings in the Chicagoland area. Huge mistake. Valpo no joke get more pub from the Chicago media then Loyola.

I think the MVC understands it probably wasn't the best move for the Conf.

From everything ive seen and heard is that the MVC is strong considering going 12 teams. And Valpo and Belmont are likely targets. I'm really hoping the facilities don't stand in the way of an invite.

NativeCheesehead

Past and current administrations at Valpo have clearly sent a message: When something is a priority we get it done.

The ARC is not a priority. End of story.

a3uge

Will the MVC make the same mistake twice, going with facilities over a team that would actually bring them success?

wh

Sorry, but "Facilities" was in fact a major consideration in the decision.

From the President of Missouri State University and member of the search committee:

Smart: Loyola a unanimous choice for the Valley
Apr 15th, 2013 @ 01:24 pm

Missouri State president Clif Smart said today that Loyola of Chicago – which is expected to formally accept an invitation to join the Missouri Valley Conference on Friday – was a unanimous choice by the Valley nine-person president's council in a vote taken last Friday.

Smart, in a telephone interview from California where he's on university business, said Loyola was "an easy choice" from a group of schools considered to replace Creighton as a Valley member. Smart was part of a fact-finding committee that visited prospective members.

He didn't confirm the other schools considered, though it's been reported by multiple outlets that Valparaiso, UMKC and Illinois-Chicago were the other finalists.

After visiting Loyola, Smart said he saw the potential the school could bring to the Valley.

"I had never been to that campus before we went on our site visit. It is incredibly impressive," Smart said of Loyola, on Chicago's north side with Lake Michigan nearby. "The school is extremely strong academically and they had by far the best athletic facilities of any school we looked at."

Loyola has a new athletics building connected to a recently renovated basketball arena with a new student union also a part of the connected complex.

While Loyola has a storied men's basketball history, most of its success goes way back. The Ramblers were NCAA champs in 1963, in an upset over Cincinnati, but have had just one 20-win season in the last 10 years and just six winning seasons since 1985.

Smart said Loyola is showing a renewed commitment to its basketball program with hiring of Porter Moser – a former head coach at Illinois State – before last season. The school made a splash over the weekend by hiring former Sheryl Swoopes, a former All-American at Texas Tech and star WNBA player, as its new women's basketball coach.

"They were more financially committed to putting money into athletics than any other school we looked at and have a plan to do that," Smart said. "In the next three years, they plan to have an athletic budget of $15 million, which is more than ours."

In addition to basketball, Loyola fields teams in men's and women's cross country, soccer, golf, track and field, volleyball  and women's softball.

Getting a foothold into the Chicago market also was a major factor. Smart said an annual opportunity to connect with MSU's alumni base at sporting events "is huge" as it is for the Valley in terms of earning new sponsorship opportunities from that area.

"So all of those factors made it an easy choice," Smart said.

Expansion likely is done for now, but Smart said the league could take a serious look at adding two more teams in the "next couple of three years."

Creighton announced last month it was leaving the Valley to join the new Big East Conference. This will be the first time the Valley has expanded since adding Evansville in 1994.