• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The silence is deafening

Started by IndyValpo, July 10, 2012, 07:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

The fact that the HL has announced nothing to date is disappointing.  With all of the conference changes happening you would have thought a plan would have been in place.  Everyone knew that Butler could leave at any time. 

HorizonLeagueFan

The HL plans to add 3 teams and announce all 3 teams at once.  Don't expect any announcements this summer.  I expect we will hear something around conference tournament time next year.

wh

Quote from: HorizonLeagueFan on July 10, 2012, 08:02:31 AM
The HL plans to add 3 teams and announce all 3 teams at once.  Don't expect any announcements this summer.  I expect we will hear something around conference tournament time next year.
As frustrating as it is to have wait for several more months for an announcement, I can understand the need for it.  After what the HL did to Butler, no one is going to tip their hand early and risk getting dealt out of their conference tournament.

blackpantheruwm

From discussions I've had with friends, boosters and AD employees around the league, I've learned a couple things:

- Detroit's big whigs have told some of their choice donors that they won't step in Oakland's way
- The only reason Oakland isn't officially in the fold is that they're waiting to make a big splash.

I really think we're going to see a three-team add here.  I'd like them to go all the way with my proposal at PantherU, but I understand that would be extremely difficult to pick up.

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 10, 2012, 07:26:16 AM
The fact that the HL has announced nothing to date is disappointing.  With all of the conference changes happening you would have thought a plan would have been in place.  Everyone knew that Butler could leave at any time. 
Announce what, that nothing happens during the summer?  What conference changes have happened in the last month?  It is now July, a new academic year and any announcement should come next spring, after basketball season is over.

IndyValpo

Quote from: covufan on July 11, 2012, 05:25:58 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on July 10, 2012, 07:26:16 AM
Announce what, that nothing happens during the summer?  What conference changes have happened in the last month?  It is now July, a new academic year and any announcement should come next spring, after basketball season is over.
I did not know there was a manual on when announcements could be made, thanks. I could be wrong but it seems like Boston U recently announced a move to the Patriot League.

HorizonLeagueFan

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 11, 2012, 06:15:28 PM
I did not know there was a manual on when announcements could be made, thanks. I could be wrong but it seems like Boston U recently announced a move to the Patriot League.
Boston U announced they were going to the Patroit League June 15. 
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8056322/boston-u-goes-patriot-league-america-east
The fiscal year for most conferences ends at the end of June.  Most conferences mandate that you give 2 years notice when leaving their conference in order to receive the lowest exit fee and you have to make the announcement before the end of your conferences fiscal year.  If schools leave with less than 2 years notice they usually have an increased exit fee.  If schools announce they are changing conferences after the end of their conferences fiscal year, they usually have an increased exit fee too.   If you follow conference chages the last 5 years, most of the changes have been announced between January and June.

IndyValpo

Quote from: HorizonLeagueFan on July 11, 2012, 08:21:42 PMBoston U announced they were going to the Patroit League June 15. 
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8056322/boston-u-goes-patriot-league-america-east
The fiscal year for most conferences ends at the end of June.  Most conferences mandate that you give 2 years notice when leaving their conference in order to receive the lowest exit fee and you have to make the announcement before the end of your conferences fiscal year.  If schools leave with less than 2 years notice they usually have an increased exit fee.  If schools announce they are changing conferences after the end of their conferences fiscal year, they usually have an increased exit fee too.   If you follow conference chages the last 5 years, most of the changes have been announced between January and June.
Ok, Butler left May 2, that left the HL 2 months to complete something before the end of the fiscal year you mentioned. Was the HL caught off guard.....shouldn't have been.

HorizonLeagueFan

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 11, 2012, 08:53:46 PM
Ok, Butler left May 2, that left the HL 2 months to complete something before the end of the fiscal year you mentioned. Was the HL caught off guard.....shouldn't have been.
No, the HL wasn't caught off guard.  The HL is going to replace Butler with the addition of 3 teams and won't make an official announcment until all 3 teams are lined up.  They were not able to line up all 3 teams in that 2 month span.  It doesn't make sense for the HL to make an official announcement until we have all 3 teams lined up.  Any one of the 3 teams by them self is going to look like a downgrade compared to the loss of Butler.  Adding the 3 at once will look like an upgrade.

cmack

So given that we are playing with 9 this year for sure.  I think the question to focus on is whether the league is going to simply delete Butler from the conference schedule and thus hammer Valpo with a rested opponent every road game.   OR will they rework the schedule in some way.

historyman

cmack said:
So given that we are playing with 9 this year for sure.  I think the question to focus on is whether the league is going to simply delete Butler from the conference schedule and thus hammer Valpo with a rested opponent every road game.   OR will they rework the schedule in some way.

There never was a schedule publicly announced with Butler in the Horizon League for 2012-13. Maybe there was a schedule in someone's computer somewhere but never publicly announced. Therefore there was no need to scrap any schedule with Butler and Valpo as travel partners. The Horizon League simply started working on a schedule without Butler for 2012-13 as soon as it was announced that Butler was moving to the A-10 a year earlier than originally planned. Whether the Horizon League keeps the travel partners it had previously and allows Valpo or another school to go without a travel partner or scraps the travel partners all together is up to the people in power in the HL. We won't know until the HL schedule is publicly announced.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: cmack on July 12, 2012, 10:51:48 AM
Good point about always having to face a rested opponent.  I wonder how the league handled this before we came on board?

vu72

Quote from: wh on July 12, 2012, 12:48:59 PM
Good point about always having to face a rested opponent.  I wonder how the league handled this before we came on board?

I'm sure panther or others can clarify this issue, but the fact is that before we came on board the league had 9 members with only one in Indiana.  Same exact place we are at now.  I doubt it is an issue.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: vu72 on July 12, 2012, 01:05:09 PM

I'm sure panther or others can clarify this issue, but the fact is that before we came on board the league had 9 members with only one in Indiana.  Same exact place we are at now.  I doubt it is an issue.

Sure can!

The travel partners are done. We're going back to the format of 06-07 and before.  It's basically a how-can-we-make-it-most-even-with-an-odd-number kind of setup.

I thought it was pretty fair, although we ended up with Butler or Green Bay at home during break every year. Hopefully this changes.

dylanrocks

Quote from: vu72 on July 12, 2012, 01:05:09 PM

The league had 9 members with only one in Indiana.  ...  I doubt it is an issue.

-- signed Tod Kowalczyk

zvillehaze

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on July 12, 2012, 05:55:14 PM
I thought it was pretty fair, although we ended up with Butler or Green Bay at home during break every year. Hopefully this changes.

I can guarantee that will change.  ;)

agibson

Quote from: wh on July 10, 2012, 11:09:12 AMAfter what the HL did to Butler, no one is going to tip their hand early and risk getting dealt out of their conference tournament.

Whoah!  I totally missed this.  That's what I get for dropping off the message board for a while.

Anyone care to briefly summarize?  Butler announced they were leaving for the A10 in 2013.  And then... within two months or so Butler, the Horizon, and the A10 sort of jointly announced that it would be effective this season instead?

And there's some assumption that the Horizon gave Butler the boot?  Or is it better documented than that?

vu72

Quote from: agibson on July 14, 2012, 03:20:28 PM
Quote from: wh on July 10, 2012, 11:09:12 AMAfter what the HL did to Butler, no one is going to tip their hand early and risk getting dealt out of their conference tournament.

Whoah!  I totally missed this.  That's what I get for dropping off the message board for a while.

Anyone care to briefly summarize?  Butler announced they were leaving for the A10 in 2013.  And then... within two months or so Butler, the Horizon, and the A10 sort of jointly announced that it would be effective this season instead?

And there's some assumption that the Horizon gave Butler the boot?  Or is it better documented than that?

The Horizon announced that Butler teams would be ineligible for any championships, thus, no shot at an NCAA birth in anything.  The A10 then said they would be happy to accept Butler a year early.  Presumably there is a bigger penalty for leaving without 2 year notice but the risk of losing out on a potential payday made the grcision easy for Butler.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Fascinating!  Here's one ESPN piece.  At the time exactly what happened was apparently unconfirmed.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7984779/butler-bulldogs-move-atlantic-10-now-set-season

historyman

This line in the story actually answers some of the questions that have been asked on this board about how the HL will do things since Butler has left the league for the coming season of 2012-13:

Meanwhile, LeCrone said the Horizon League will play 16 basketball games next season with nine teams instead of 18 with 10. LeCrone said the league will have a true-round robin schedule and be fine next season. He said the league will look at expansion but made not overtures as to what direction the Horizon League would move in the near future.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: historyman on July 15, 2012, 10:50:43 PM
Re: The silence is deafening
« Reply #20 on: Today at 10:50:43 PM »
Quote (selec
Quote from: historyman on July 15, 2012, 10:50:43 PM
This line in the story actually answers some of the questions that have been asked on this board about how the HL will do things since Butler has left the league for the coming season of 2012-13:

Meanwhile, LeCrone said the Horizon League will play 16 basketball games next season with nine teams instead of 18 with 10. LeCrone said the league will have a true-round robin schedule and be fine next season. He said the league will look at expansion but made not overtures as to what direction the Horizon League would move in the near future.

The question isn't who would play - we knew a true round robin would happen - the question is how will travel and the like work out.