• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Memes

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, November 06, 2012, 08:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

I think they have embraced the villain role the fans around the league have given them. I say good for them, it's more fun beating the villain.

humbleopinion

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 27, 2013, 07:18:02 PM

If Valpo wipes his figurative ass off the court in March (by winning convincingly on the scoreboard), perhaps he will finally reflect on an opportunity to learn a hard lesson.  Of course, that means Valpo (or some other team) has to do it.

I hope we are never either figurative or literal "ass-wipes." I think we could do some figurative ass-wooping...
Beamin' Beacons

StlVUFan

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 27, 2013, 09:47:59 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 27, 2013, 07:18:02 PM

If Valpo wipes his figurative ass off the court in March (by winning convincingly on the scoreboard), perhaps he will finally reflect on an opportunity to learn a hard lesson.  Of course, that means Valpo (or some other team) has to do it.

I hope we are never either figurative or literal "ass-wipes." I think we could do some figurative ass-wooping...
I sit corrected  :-[

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 27, 2013, 09:47:59 PMass-wooping

i dunno.  speaking of corrected, it's usually "whooping", but that must be a "correction" of "whupping", which is itself a corruption of "whipping".

All this to say, in literal terms, it would seem an "ass-whooping" would more accurately be a euphemism for flatulence.

so let's not whoop from our asses.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 27, 2013, 10:39:54 PM"ass-whooping" would more accurately be a euphemism for flatulence.

Nope, that just doesn't make that much sense and is not really that funny. Sorry, Apostle. I just think people should be honest with you.

I never thought of ass-whooping as anything but a beat down or convincing win over another team. And I have heard that phrase many times before. Just my opinion.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

humbleopinion

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 27, 2013, 10:39:54 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on January 27, 2013, 09:47:59 PMass-wooping

i dunno.  speaking of corrected, it's usually "whooping", but that must be a "correction" of "whupping", which is itself a corruption of "whipping".

I first typed "whooping," then I thought to myself, "Isn't that a type of cough?" I chose to spell phonetically.
Beamin' Beacons

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on January 28, 2013, 12:12:46 AMI never thought of ass-whooping as anything but a beat down or convincing win over another team. And I have heard that phrase many times before. Just my opinion.

While I appreciate your honesty, I'm not going for humor here (the preponderance of polysyllabic vocabulary is the clue).  of course we've all heard that phrase many times before.  i just stopped and wondered whence it came.

And I think it must be a "correction of a corruption": the original phrase was "an ass-whippin'" which corrupted (first step) to "an ass-whuppin'", due either
--to reticence to use such an obviously harsh-sounding phrase (cf. G-D to "goshdarn" or "goldurn" etc.) OR
--to country grammar being what it is (i.e. the past tense of "to whip" = "whup") OR
--simply the inflection of a country dialect in the present tense of "whip" (cf. how in parts of the Hoosier state our first president's name is "Warshington"--things get changed around.)

So now we are at "whup".  But that doesn't look like any word we know.  So the correction (the second step) of the corrupted word was to make it look like a word we do know and use.  However, the pronunciation won out over the definition (after all, spoken language predates written), and so rather than change it back to "whip" it was changed to "whoop".  (Kind of the equivalent of today's "putting something in Google translate, then putting it back through Google translate and see what it now says")

And here we have it.  But, as we all know, "to whoop" means "to emit a loud sound; to cry out".  And so, when you pair it with the slang term for the buttocks...you have an interesting phrase when you think about it.

(And curse you for making me pollute this thread of hilarity with my ruminations on philology and etymology :))
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 28, 2013, 08:52:30 AM
Quote from: historyman on January 28, 2013, 12:12:46 AMI never thought of ass-whooping as anything but a beat down or convincing win over another team. And I have heard that phrase many times before. Just my opinion.
While I appreciate your honesty, I'm not going for humor here (the preponderance of polysyllabic vocabulary is the clue).  of course we've all heard that phrase many times before.  i just stopped and wondered whence it came. And I think it must be a "correction of a corruption": the original phrase was "an ass-whippin'" which corrupted (first step) to "an ass-whuppin'", due either --to reticence to use such an obviously harsh-sounding phrase (cf. G-D to "goshdarn" or "goldurn" etc.) OR --to country grammar being what it is (i.e. the past tense of "to whip" = "whup") OR --simply the inflection of a country dialect in the present tense of "whip" (cf. how in parts of the Hoosier state our first president's name is "Warshington"--things get changed around.) So now we are at "whup".  But that doesn't look like any word we know.  So the correction (the second step) of the corrupted word was to make it look like a word we do know and use.  However, the pronunciation won out over the definition (after all, spoken language predates written), and so rather than change it back to "whip" it was changed to "whoop".  (Kind of the equivalent of today's "putting something in Google translate, then putting it back through Google translate and see what it now says") And here we have it.  But, as we all know, "to whoop" means "to emit a loud sound; to cry out".  And so, when you pair it with the slang term for the buttocks...you have an interesting phrase when you think about it. (And curse you for making me pollute this thread of hilarity with my ruminations on philology and etymology :) )

But in truth the term is really "donkey loud noise." And many would say we're making donkeys out of ourselves for making such a "loud noise" about it.   ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on January 28, 2013, 10:45:14 AM"donkey loud noise"

that...is my next band name.  brilliant.

KL31NY

As someone who's not good at taking pictures, I find this funny. I thought about making this before, but after seeing it on the Loyola/Detroit rebroadcast, I finally caved in

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpopal

valpopal

Now we know where Ben learned his moves.

talksalot

Pal:  THAT's GREAT !! thanks for the laugh this morning!

valpopal

Quote from: talksalot on February 05, 2013, 08:11:35 AM
Pal:  THAT's GREAT !! thanks for the laugh this morning!

Thanks! I thought Ben's moves looked frighteningly familiar, and I also liked the relevance of the basketball hoop in the background behind Pee Wee.

valpopal

Now we know where Bobby learned his moves.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on February 08, 2013, 07:55:45 PMNow we know where Bobby learned his moves.

PLUS ALL THE POINTS

LaPorteAveApostle

be gentle i'm rounding back into form

valpopal

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2013, 07:04:24 PM

Under escalation of commitment:

Impression Management. Impression management explanations of escalation behavior focus on a decision maker's need to justify her past choices to others. The outcome of an investment is rarely free from external scrutiny, and a decision maker may escalate commitment to her original investment to avoid admitting to others that the venture was a failure or that her decision was flawed. Such admissions might cause others to doubt her competence. Furthermore, people tend to punish decision makers for inconsistency. For example, the term "flip flopper" was effectively used to negatively brand the democratic candidate John Kerry in the 2004 U.S. presidential election when he updated his views on the second Iraq War. When a decision maker switches from her originally endorsed course of action, observers may take it as a sign of weakness or lack of confidence. Thus, even when a decision maker knows that escalation is not the best option, she may choose to escalate commitment to avoid appearing inconsistent.

This coming Sat. will be yet another missed opportunity to showcase our winning tradition on national TV.  Before the season ever started Bryce needed to tell ml and the sports marketing technicians "Look, make as many BB banners as you want, hang them anywhere you want, blend them in the middle of a bunch of minor sports banners if you want - as long 1 each of the conf. championship and NIT banners get hung above the chairbacks where they belong."

Instead, the tail continues to wag the dog.

wh

Quote from: wh on February 10, 2013, 08:04:07 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2013, 07:04:24 PM

Under escalation of commitment:

Impression Management. Impression management explanations of escalation behavior focus on a decision maker's need to justify her past choices to others. The outcome of an investment is rarely free from external scrutiny, and a decision maker may escalate commitment to her original investment to avoid admitting to others that the venture was a failure or that her decision was flawed. Such admissions might cause others to doubt her competence. Furthermore, people tend to punish decision makers for inconsistency. For example, the term "flip flopper" was effectively used to negatively brand the democratic candidate John Kerry in the 2004 U.S. presidential election when he updated his views on the second Iraq War. When a decision maker switches from her originally endorsed course of action, observers may take it as a sign of weakness or lack of confidence. Thus, even when a decision maker knows that escalation is not the best option, she may choose to escalate commitment to avoid appearing inconsistent.

This coming Sat. will be yet another missed opportunity to showcase our winning tradition on national TV.  Before the season ever started Bryce needed to tell ml and the sports marketing technicians "Look, make as many BB banners as you want, hang them anywhere you want, blend them in the middle of a bunch of minor sports banners if you want - as long 1 each of the conf. championship and NIT banners get hung above the chairbacks where they belong."

Instead, the tail continues to wag the dog.

Titans raise banner before first Horizon League match-up:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/sports/titans-will-raise-banner-before-first-horizon-league-matchup

(Click on video)

As eddiec said previously, 'Apparently they don't have a hallway.'

StlVUFan

Winning the auto-bid on national TV this year will do just fine for my tastes.

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on February 10, 2013, 07:58:17 PM

Isn't Ryan looking at Will, who is the one on the team who is bald, in this picture?

valpopal

Oops, typo corrected: thanks for the catch historyman!

valpopal