• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Kent game

Started by covufan, November 16, 2012, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

Quote from: Smj on November 18, 2012, 04:17:09 PM
QuoteI've never heard broadcasters criticize the refs SO much as the Kent State broadcasters did. While there were a lot of fouls, they were evenly distributed between both teams, so the refs were calling it tight on both ends.

I just thought the refs stopped the flow of the game.   Broadcasters were annnoying about Kevin still being in the game though.   It was like they felt there should be a time limit on how long he could play with 4 fouls.   He stepped back quite often to avoid that 5th foul.
I saw a foul on KSU that they were adamant should have been a travel on Kevin.  To be honest, I couldn't tell one way or the other.

By the way, if players are fouling each other, the refs are *supposed* to stop the flow of the game.  The "flow of the game" is not the refs' responsibility.  Calling proper fouls is.

atkins

Valpo72 and valpopal...you guys are tough on us new posters!  Frankly, I like diversity of opinion.   

I watched the stream, and I think any objective observer would classify this game as "ugly."  Both teams were turnover-prone, and neither team was crisp or sharp.  Valpo looked tired and winded from time to time.  KSU looked like they were sleepwalking for much of the first half.  Oh well...a win is a win. 

So far this year, I have been really impressed by the improvement in Valpo's free throw shooting -- especially Kevin and Buggs -- and by the play of Kenney, who was erratic last year.

valpopal

Quote from: atkins on November 18, 2012, 06:07:07 PMValpo72 and valpopal...you guys are tough on us new posters!  Frankly, I like diversity of opinion. 

I was just noting that anyone saying "Rowdy has not been impressive"—even though he is putting up the same numbers this year as he did last year as conference player of the year (nearly a double-double) despite playing 6 fewer minutes per game thus far—must be difficult to impress. I would have said the same to anyone, but it seemed funny coming as someone's first post to the board.

LaPorteAveApostle

Not saying "I told you so", because it's not really what I meant in the first place--but if Rossi can't crack the rotation when we're shorthanded, how much PT is he going to get starting next month when we're at full strength?

He's an excellent shooter--that was never in doubt--and I don't know if VU even could have said to the NCAA "well, you know, you don't HAVE to grant him the waiver, wink wink", but I still can't help thinking that the Rossi of 2015-16 would be so much better and more valuable than the Rossi of 2012-13.  (Either way we have the Rossi of 2013-14 and 14-15, thank God.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

I guess I agree with Apostle on the Rossi question unless he is still nursing some sort of health issue. He did hit his first seven shots and has missed a total of one so far this year.  Still, the question of playing time today is a good one--why, when we were short handed and in foul trouble--and weren't exactly lighting it up from the 3, didn't Bryce give him any playing time?  I suspect it is defense.

He will get plenty of PT over the next two games and hopefully will learn the defense better by the time of the next challenge.

Speaking of challenges, St. Louis looks like the next one on Dec 2.  It looks like Bobby will be back by then (surgery Nov 1?) but when exactly will Dority be able to lace em up? Classes end Dec 7, but finals end the 14th. We play New Mexico on the 8th. Barring injuries, we will certainly be at full strength when we play Missouri State on the 15th and Murray State on the 29th.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

vu72, Dority can't play until the 15th, after the last final has been administered. The semester isn't final until the last final has been administered.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on November 18, 2012, 06:15:47 PMit seemed funny coming as someone's first post to the board.

yeah, Pal is right...those kind of things have "troll" written all over them.

at least no one mistook him for Saders.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 18, 2012, 07:50:36 PM
Quote from: valpopal on November 18, 2012, 06:15:47 PMit seemed funny coming as someone's first post to the board.

yeah, Pal is right...those kind of things have "troll" written all over them.

at least no one mistook him for Saders.
carry a slight grudge, do we?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on November 18, 2012, 07:58:36 PMcarry a slight grudge, do we?

what?  you mean me?  oh...i guess that's right.  it had totally slipped my mind, until EVERYTHING HE EVER SAYS.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Smj

Kent's post game interview:

Player interview:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ofK1S6ZtoDw

Coach interview:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lIicsfNdmIk

valpotx

I think it is funny that the Cleveland paper says he accidentally tripped Buggs with 4.7 seconds left.  They obviously don't understand basketball in that it was on purpose, since they were up by 3, and would only give up 2 points at the FT line, versus a 3 pt attempt to tie...terrible reporting.
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

Couldn't believe it when I read it. This coming from a major newspaper. It was such a blatant intentional foul. I don't really understand how a sportswriter could report it this way.

hckjag

Quote from: chef on November 18, 2012, 11:32:04 PM
Couldn't believe it when I read it. This coming from a major newspaper. It was such a blatant intentional foul. I don't really understand how a sportswriter could report it this way.

This was right about the same time the Browns were blowing their game against the Cowboys. Reporter probably had two eyes on their phone and well....Cleveland fans love their football

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on November 18, 2012, 11:06:20 PM
I think it is funny that the Cleveland paper says he accidentally tripped Buggs with 4.7 seconds left.  They obviously don't understand basketball in that it was on purpose, since they were up by 3, and would only give up 2 points at the FT line, versus a 3 pt attempt to tie...terrible reporting.
That actually came from the post game interview with the player.  While that was the plan, the player said that it was unintentional at the time it actually occurred.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

chef

I don't think the player is sure of what to say. First it's clear the plan "coach said to foul, and yea I tripped him"...then "it was a bad call"...Huh. You were told to foul, you did foul and it was a bad call. I don't think we can interpret anything from this, because I don't think the player really knows what he's saying. On top of that, he grabbed Buggs in an obvious attempt to do what he was instructed "foul". There was no tripping. Maybe he was saying it was a bad call by the coach to instruct the player to foul, because he couldn't be saying it was a bad call by the official.

MattCarter

Quote from: atkins on November 18, 2012, 06:07:07 PMValpo72 and valpopal...you guys are tough on us new posters!  Frankly, I like diversity of opinion. I watched the stream, and I think any objective observer would classify this game as "ugly.".
Totally agree.  We looked horrible this past week.  Lucky to come away with a win.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

lowposter

Didnt watch the game (Kent), but the Nebraska game was UGLY.  If you folks say the Kent game was ugly then I would tend to agree as this board seems pretty accurate.

Buggs and Kenney are the difference makers on this team, in my opinion.  Ryan and RVW are going to give solid performances on most nights, but these other two seniors are what can tip this team over the ledge and allow games to be won.  Both have the athletism to be difference makers in not only the HL, but their NC schedule.  Their athletism allows them to defend and rebound, keys to winning games.

All in all, not a bad road trip, it came down to finding a way to win one on the road, when defeat was at the door.

lowposter

crusaderjoe

Good win yesterday but concerning at the same time.  When a team shoots near 60% from the field and holds its opponent to the low 40's, you would expect that team to win by near double digits.  You wouldn't expect that it would take a miracle to keep you from losing, especially with free throw attempts being pretty equal.  20 turnovers and 15 offensive rebounds?  That is not what I was expecting coming out of Lincoln.  And I'm sorry, but calling a timeout when we had none which resulted in Kent putting points on the board without the clock running was inexcusable.  Total lack of game awareness on the part of the players and the bench.  Buggs was huge yesterday, probably the player of the game IMO, with Kenny a close second. 

We're four games in and 3-1; however I'm not sure whether I've seen more positives than negatives at this point over those four games collectively.  Although to be fair, VU is not full strength yet in its rotation so maybe it's best to take what you can get until all of the pieces fall into place. Good win though anyway.

Smj

I look at this win and the nebraska loss as flukes...   Should have won the nebraska game and kinda got lucky at the end of regulation of the kent game.   (not taking anything away from kevin - he had an awesome putback but the ball bounces a foot in any direction and we have a different end.)   

I love the win over Kent but we need to study that game to determine how we could lead the entire game and then let them turn a double digit lead into a potential loss.   Usually only expect to see that from a rookie team.   

StlVUFan

QuoteBut just after Valpo crossed midcourt, Kent sophomore Kris Brewer accidentally tripped guard Erik Buggs with 4.7 seconds left. Buggs made the first and missed the second, which Kent's Chris Ortiz seemed to rebound. But the 6-8 Van Wijk got his hands on the ball, and sent the game into overtime.

Um, Matt Kenney got his hands on the ball and batted it to Kevin for the put back, but ... whatever.

Folks, that's the purported Cleveland State Vikings beat writer, though a CSU friend of mine on twitter would smirk at that.  Their coverage of CSU is atrocious.  I'd hardly expect their coverage of a non-CSU game involving Valpo and Kent State to be any better.

Of course, it could be worse.  They could be Loyola and UIC fighting for a table scrap from Chicago's 4 newspapers.  At least the Plain Dealer minimally covers the Lady Vikings.

Pgmado

Elton Alexander was the one who voted Valparaiso 23rd in his preseason poll, giving the Crusaders three votes.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Pgmado on November 19, 2012, 10:44:46 AM
Elton Alexander was the one who voted Valparaiso 23rd in his preseason poll, giving the Crusaders three votes.
Yep.

valpopal

We can't end this thread without acknowledging and appreciating the hard work in practice that Erik has done on free throw shooting, which has shown dividends already. He is 10-14 (72%) in the regular season games. Add on the preseason and he is 12-16 (75%). That is an enormous improvement, and I hope it continues throughout the season.

Having said that, did any of us ever think we'd be overjoyed by seeing Erik miss a free throw in the closing seconds of a tight game!

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpopal on November 19, 2012, 12:37:19 PM
We can't end this thread without acknowledging and appreciating the hard work in practice that Erik has done on free throw shooting, which has shown dividends already. He is 10-14 (72%) in the regular season games. Add on the preseason and he is 12-16 (75%). That is an enormous improvement, and I hope it continues throughout the season.

Having said that, did any of us ever think we'd be overjoyed by seeing Erik miss a free throw in the closing seconds of a tight game!

that's one facet of his game that he's worked on every year. and the improvement has shown every year. glad to see his work is really paying off.