• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Record Watch

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, November 24, 2012, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Winston Garland, SW MO St, 1986-87

Clinton Smith, Cleveland State, 1985-86

agibson

Hilltop counts, presumably?  Larry Bird played there?  Against Valpo?

covufan

While looking up players that played in the NBA from our mid-con days, I found Sherell Ford, from UIC, 1993 and 1994 he would have played at the ARC.  He played 36 games in the NBA:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/fordsh01.html

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 17, 2015, 11:37:17 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 17, 2015, 11:33:29 AM
Here's a trivia question.  Has the ARC ever hosted a top 25?

Oh yeah, my Sophomore year, 2007 they hosted Marquette and Butler in back to back games. I believe they were both top 25, but I know Butler was.

At the risk of re opening an old (but recent!) question while a new one's taken off.

I wonder how many times Butler visited,while ranked , in our mutual Horizon league years.  Seems like us remember if we won such a game.  A missed opportunity ?

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 17, 2015, 01:12:04 PM

Oh yeah, my Sophomore year, 2007 they hosted Marquette and Butler in back to back games. I believe they were both top 25, but I know Butler was.

At the risk of re opening an old (but recent!) question while a new one's taken off.

I wonder how many times Butler visited,while ranked , in our mutual Horizon league years.  Seems like us remember if we won such a game.  A missed opportunity ?

To answer my own question: Butler was ranked at the ARC in 2008, 2009, and 2010.  All Valpo losses, alas.  So, indeed, a missed opportunity.

The Butler-Marquette homestand looks to have been in the fall of 2006.  Both losses.  Still, must have been quite a pair of games!

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on February 17, 2015, 01:28:12 PM

To answer my own question: Butler was ranked at the ARC in 2008, 2009, and 2010.  All Valpo losses, alas.  So, indeed, a missed opportunity.

The Butler-Marquette homestand looks to have been in the fall of 2006.  Both losses.  Still, must have been quite a pair of games!

That Marquette game was a thriller too. They had to hit a 3 at the buzzer to win. I just checked out the box score. For a Monday night in November we had 4,935 people there. That's more than the championship game in 2013 and any game this season.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 17, 2015, 01:38:16 PM

That Marquette game was a thriller too. They had to hit a 3 at the buzzer to win. I just checked out the box score. For a Monday night in November we had 4,935 people there. That's more than the championship game in 2013 and any game this season.

That whole core felt way better than they actually were. The next year they had a lead against Wisconsin at half, played #1 Duke (or someone like that) close, and should have beat Butler (Lloyd airballed the front end of a 1 and 1), but looking back, they actually ended up 9-9 in conference with a ~100 RPI. At the time they felt amazing because it was the first year in the new league. But maybe the whole league was a bit better back then.

talksalot

and a little cross-over on the two questions...

#19 Cincinnati came to the ARC in Fall '03... (and won 68-49)   NBA'er Tony Bobbitt was a bearcat.  Under Head Coach Bobbie Huggins.

talksalot

Nate Huffman, Central Michigan 2002

FWalum

I can remember seeing #3 De Paul in Hilltop February of 1980.
Aguirre and Cummings
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Gary Talton.... wait... Does the D-League count? XD

talksalot

Grant Long, Eastern Michigan 1988

talksalot

Rawle Marshall - Oakland 2003-2005

talksalot

Jermaine Taylor, Central Florida 2008-09

talksalot

ok... that's all I can find...that played for the Opposition in the ARC...

humbleopinion

Adrian Dantley  for Notre Dame -- 1974 or so?
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

I didn't get into the Hilltop Gym games...

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on February 17, 2015, 02:15:21 PM
Gary Talton.... wait... Does the D-League count? XD

I was looking at the D-league just recently.  I noticed Ron Howard _didn't_ play in the All-Star game, but one of his Ft. Wayne colleagues, of similar age, did.

bbtds

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 17, 2015, 01:38:16 PM

Dominic James played for Marquette in that game and made the winning shot.

historyman

Jack Sikma - Illinois Wesleyan, not sure of the year. I believe they barely beat us in an upset.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Dave Corzine - DePaul. It was DePaul's last visit to Hilltop.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

nkvu

Austin Carr - Notre Dame  Fall of 69 my Freshman year.   Seems like he had  about 30 by halftime and didn't take a shot more than 5 ft from the basket. Didn't even play in the second half.

ml2

Here is the final play from the 2006 Marquette game.
http://youtu.be/TeiMnw05mDA

valporun

talksalot, didn't Jason Maxiell play for Cincinnati in Fall 2003, and go on to the NBA?

talksalot

Quote from: valporun on February 18, 2015, 08:45:31 PMtalksalot, didn't Jason Maxiell play for Cincinnati in Fall 2003, and go on to the NBA?

Yes, Yes he did... and TODAY is his 33rd birthday !   (Basketball Reference.com knows all)