• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

BracketBusters Discontinued

Started by zvillehaze, December 11, 2012, 11:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zvillehaze

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8736253/bracketbusters-event-discontinued-2012-13-season

ESPN discontinuing the BracketBuster after this season.  I assume that Valpo will still be required to return this year's game within 2 years, as well as host LMU in the return game from last year.

Who knows what will happen with Horizon League expansion, but initially at least, this means another game or two for Horizon teams to schedule.

agibson

Interesting!

"Given the evolving college landscape, we felt the event in its present form has run its course. We'll continue to work with our conference partners to develop new, creative events to further grow the sport. Our goal is to maintain the BracketBusters brand in some fashion in the future."

I wonder what they have in mind.  How soon we'll see the name re-envisioned, and in what form.  Maybe something smaller?  Or involving Bubble teams generally, not just those from small conferences?

valpopal

I am sure ESPN will come up with a new marketing strategy to replace the BracketBusters scenario. In fact, I would bet they already had one in mind before announcing the end of the BracketBusters. Corporations like ESPN don't usually end something so big without having an alternate plan.

However, no matter what ESPN devises, I would suggest this is an opportunity for the Horizon League to revisit the idea of a challenge series with another conference, not necessarily to replace the BracketBusters games, but as a regular feature of the non-conference schedule. It would be nice to see such a challenge series announced along with the naming of the league's expansion teams in the spring.

vu84v2

Dissapointing that the Bracketbusters is being discontinued.  Frankly, I would not be surprised to see ESPN introduce something to replace it - but it may be something only involving the high tier non-BCS conferences (A10, MVC, MWC).  That would give them more high profile games (but it would likely exclude conferences like the Horizon League unless the level of play increases.

The suggestion of a "challenge" is a very good one, but it has to be something that adds value.  A challenge series with the Summit League brings no value (and no TV).  MVC would be great, but MAC is probably more realistic.

milanmiracle

I am sure ESPN has something in mind to replace it already. I tend to agree with some other posters that it will likely include teams from the MVC, A10 and others like the WCC. It's all about TV ratings and some of the games just weren't very exciting or relevant.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valporun

Yeah, I could see a "challenge" event for the MVC, MWC, A10, and WCC, as it would definitely garner some ratings, and provide a few mid-major games that actually might garner interest. The only thing that would bring the HL to a challenge even with the MAC is the HL getting the same number of teams as the MAC, otherwise you have a challenge schedule that leaves out a few teams every 2 years or so, and then you run into the years where the best teams in either league might have been pre-determined to be left out for the two good years, and then ESPN or any tv entity loses the ratings that would come from it.

EddieCabot

Doesn't sound like Paul Oren will miss the BracketBuster.  I recall reading that Homer Drew was never a fan of the event either.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/rip-espn-bracketbuster/article_cff491b4-43c8-11e2-beee-001a4bcf887a.html

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on December 11, 2012, 01:34:33 PM
I am sure ESPN will come up with a new marketing strategy to replace the BracketBusters scenario. In fact, I would bet they already had one in mind before announcing the end of the BracketBusters. Corporations like ESPN don't usually end something so big without having an alternate plan.

However, no matter what ESPN devises, I would suggest this is an opportunity for the Horizon League to revisit the idea of a challenge series with another conference, not necessarily to replace the BracketBusters games, but as a regular feature of the non-conference schedule. It would be nice to see such a challenge series announced along with the naming of the league's expansion teams in the spring.

Apparently, someone else has the same suggestion:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20121211/GPG020110/121211048/BracketBuster-series-end-after-2013?odyssey=nav|head

valpopal

Quote from: valporun on December 11, 2012, 04:19:20 PM
Yeah, I could see a "challenge" event for the MVC, MWC, A10, and WCC, as it would definitely garner some ratings, and provide a few mid-major games that actually might garner interest. The only thing that would bring the HL to a challenge even with the MAC is the HL getting the same number of teams as the MAC, otherwise you have a challenge schedule that leaves out a few teams every 2 years or so, and then you run into the years where the best teams in either league might have been pre-determined to be left out for the two good years, and then ESPN or any tv entity loses the ratings that would come from it.

This would give the Horizon League good incentive to add 3 teams and expand to 12 as some of the more persistent rumors suggest.

LaPorteAveApostle

With whom would it make the most sense?  MAC, geographically, but because of FB they fancy themselves too good for us, though hardwood results show otherwise.

MVC, philosophically, but in BB they too might fancy themselves too good for us...and lately, they'd be right :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 11, 2012, 07:24:22 PM
With whom would it make the most sense?  MAC, geographically, but because of FB they fancy themselves too good for us, though hardwood results show otherwise.

MVC, philosophically, but in BB they too might fancy themselves too good for us...and lately, they'd be right :/

I'd tend to agree. Minus Butler, they're out of our league. (pun intended)
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpo84

Time to add DePaul, Villanova and St Johns, major media markets and teams that don't have football or that doesn't matter either. :)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Pathfinder

The MVC probably would want a challenge with the A-10 or Mountain West, or possibly the WCC. I don't know if they'd go for us.

The MAC makes sense, but Horizon and MAC teams already play 20 or more games a year against one another (24 this year). You almost have to see how the other conferences shake out. The Colonial or Conference USA might be more realistic. The OVC might be a step down but would be better than the Summit.

wh

Quote from: Pathfinder on December 11, 2012, 10:51:46 PM
The MVC probably would want a challenge with the A-10 or Mountain West, or possibly the WCC. I don't know if they'd go for us.

The MVC is in the last year of a 4-year Challenge agreement with the Mountain West.  Apparently, the MVC will be looking for a new partner next year:

Missouri Valley associate commissioner Mike Kern said the challenge with the Mountain West will not continue once the original four-year contract expires after next season (2012). Instead the Valley is exploring other potential scheduling arrangements with other leagues or select teams in other leagues.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/mountain-west-missouri-valley-challenge-won-t-showcase-194507160.html

Now would seem like a good time to see if they have any interest in a Challenge with the HL.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpo84 on December 11, 2012, 09:39:23 PM
Time to add DePaul, Villanova and St Johns, major media markets and teams that don't have football or that doesn't matter either. :)

Brutal, just brutal.  Villlanova was FCS champions a few years ago.  YSU would like to have a word with you.

valporun

Yeah, the odd consideration that most people don't pay attention to is that both Villanova and Georgetown have FCS football, and I'm not sure either one of them would want to drop down. DePaul, while it would be a major drop for them, would be a better fit in the HL because they would be a high profile program. It would get more people in Chicago to pay attention to Horizon League basketball, as they would have natural rivalries with Loyola, UIC, and potentially Valpo or UW-Milwaukee. Plus, their best recruiting point to Chicago proper kids who have parents or AAU coaches who want to see them play is that most of the games in the Horizon League are a 1-day drive, compared to flights out East. It would also bring some nice crowds to the ARC, and would be a good draw of Valpo fans/alums in the Chicago area to see them play at AllState Arena once a year.

valpo84

Sounds like the Big Least is disintegrating. The Horizon should take the 7 Catholic Schools and go to 16 teams.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo84 on December 13, 2012, 07:56:18 PM
Sounds like the Big Least is disintegrating. The Horizon should take the 7 Catholic Schools and go to 16 teams.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo84

Very serious!! Valpo (and the Horizon) need(s) to make sure it.they are/is exploring and taking advantage of the best opportunities, and this "Catholic" conference would be major markets, similarly "missioned" schools. It could have a national reach (Gonzaga rumored to be exploring this to the East Coast) and would be non-football. It should have some stability. We just need to have them make it a little "c" "catholic" conference. Then again, we didn't leave the Catholic church, we were kicked out! Likewise, the Horizon could absorb all 7 schools (Butler wanted the A-10, they can stay there), and would establish a solid 16 school conference.

LaPorteAveApostle

And I'm sure that the Rascals would have loved to have opened for the Beatles too.

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on December 14, 2012, 08:32:09 AM
Very serious!! Valpo (and the Horizon) need(s) to make sure it.they are/is exploring and taking advantage of the best opportunities, and this "Catholic" conference would be major markets, similarly "missioned" schools. It could have a national reach (Gonzaga rumored to be exploring this to the East Coast) and would be non-football. It should have some stability. We just need to have them make it a little "c" "catholic" conference. Then again, we didn't leave the Catholic church, we were kicked out! Likewise, the Horizon could absorb all 7 schools (Butler wanted the A-10, they can stay there), and would establish a solid 16 school conference.
My guess is those seven wouldn't want to join or be absorbed by the Horizon.  However, they might offer to the Horizon the name that they may take with them - The Big Eastern Horizon!