• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

McCafferty Trophy

Started by covufan, April 30, 2013, 12:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Anyone else see the irony in this:

Loyola Leads McCafferty Trophy Standings Heading Into Spring Championships

We need every team, especially Milwaukee, to beat Loyola this spring!  Well done Crusader Men's Golf!

valpotx

They haven't won any Spring championships as of yet, I don't believe: M/W golf, M/W tennis, M/W basketball, they don't have baseball, softball should be blocked from championships because of move in 1 1/2 months (since the HL was going to block Butler from championships if they played this year), etc.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

I don't believe that they will be blocked from the championship.  I really don't think that would be fair to the athletes.  Butler was a completely different situation that happened at least two months before the fall sports even started.  Not sure you should block teams that are more than half way through their season.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

The whole point of the HL blocking Butler from championships was to prevent a team leaving the conference from being able to say that they went out champions in various sports.  This is the same thing that the CAA was going to do with VCU.  It had nothing to do with not allowing time for schedule preparation, or any other reason I can think of.  I would have to think that would apply to Loyola as well for these remaining sports.  Butler still had to pay a fee to leave the conference early, as Loyola will have to do, so it isn't like Butler's fee was reduced because they would have had to play their sports without the chance for a title.  This is a much worse situation in my view, in that Loyola told the HL that they are leaving 2 months in advance of starting play in the MVC.  Butler was willing to play out the full athletic year if they would have been allowed the chance to win titles, but that was taken away, leading to them making the move earlier than anticipated.

Edit: Loyola did take part in the M/W golf championships this last week.  I really don't understand why Butler was told they can't win championships, while Loyola is being given the opportunity to do so after their announcement.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on April 30, 2013, 05:39:06 PMI really don't understand why Butler was told they can't win championships, while Loyola is being given the opportunity to do so after their announcement.

Something to do with Loyola's season already being underway?  It would seem particularly unfair to say "You've already started the season, you've played half your games.  But, now we're going to change the rules, because of your university's actions, and bar you from competing in the conference tournament."

wh

It was widely reported that the HL did not want Butler's men's basketball to take a victory tour in its last year.  The entire season would have been about Butler instead of the league it was leaving behind. You don't give a ticker tape parade to a snotty employee on their way out the door.

valporun

This was supposed to be Butler's last season in the HL, that was the reason for penalizing them. Loyola is leaving July 1, 2013, and it was announced after the spring sports seasons started. You can't penalize a team, when they weren't the immediate reason for the school leaving the conference/league. I mean it wasn't the students in the Loyola athletics program that voted on this, it was the MVC and HL school presidents. Why penalize the student-athletes, when Loyola did things the right way, rather than taking the Mariano Rivera farewell tour for a year, when they didn't have anything real competitive in most sports the HL sponsors?

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Quote from: valporun on May 03, 2013, 03:00:03 PM
This was supposed to be Butler's last season in the HL, that was the reason for penalizing them. Loyola is leaving July 1, 2013, and it was announced after the spring sports seasons started. You can't penalize a team, when they weren't the immediate reason for the school leaving the conference/league. I mean it wasn't the students in the Loyola athletics program that voted on this, it was the MVC and HL school presidents. Why penalize the student-athletes, when Loyola did things the right way, rather than taking the Mariano Rivera farewell tour for a year, when they didn't have anything real competitive in most sports the HL sponsors?

Run, Butler would have played this season out if the HL didn't take away the possibility of titles.  Their situations are the exact same, except that Loyola is saying up front that we are leaving in 1 1/2 months, whereas Butler was saying they would leave after the next athletic year initially.  In my opinion, Loyola's lack of notice is much worse than what Butler was going to do, before the HL forced their hand to join the A-10 immediately...
"Don't mess with Texas"