• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Federer 178-0 when leading 2 sets to love... no more!

Started by valpo04, June 29, 2011, 11:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

Roger Federer was 178-0 when leading a match 2 sets to love, but he collapsed today vs. Tsonga for his first loss.  Pretty incredible stat and a great run!  I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of Federer's amazing career.

vuweathernerd

is nadal far behind? they seemed to rise up at about the same time, if i'm remembering correctly.

valpo04

Quote from: vuweathernerd on June 29, 2011, 07:10:33 PM
is nadal far behind? they seemed to rise up at about the same time, if i'm remembering correctly.

Federer turns 30 in August, Nadal is only 25.  It is quite an interesting debate when discussing the two.  Many claim that Federer is the greatest of all time, which is understandable... but he can't seem to beat Nadal (who may end up better.) 

Crusader03

Quote from: valpo04 on June 29, 2011, 08:23:04 PM

Federer turns 30 in August, Nadal is only 25.  It is quite an interesting debate when discussing the two.  Many claim that Federer is the greatest of all time, which is understandable... but he can't seem to beat Nadal (who may end up better.) 

In my opinion, the head-to-head record is a bit misleading.  Nadal leads Federer 17-8, but 12 of those wins have come on clay.  Nadal is arguably the greatest clay court player of all time.  So, he has been in his element in most of their matchups.  On other surfaces, Federer leads 6-5.

Either way, we have been lucky to have two of the all time greats playing in this era...and Djokovic is adding a third strong force to the game as well.

rlh

It seems there are always different eras in tennis....Laver/ Rosewall, Borg/McEnroe, Agassi/Sampras...and many others....they are both hall of famers, whether or not they are the best of all time is up for discussion...it's tough to compare eras....just enjoy all of them if you are a tennis fan

agibson

I'm not a tennis fan, but it is on the news regularly in Switzerland because of Federer.  It seemed that Federer had young-Tiger Woods type dominance for a number of years, except on clay where Nadal regularly beat him (e.g. French Open).  In the last year or two it seemed like Nadal was starting to come level even on non-clay surfaces.  I assumed that Nadal was the heir apparent,
but I'm not sure what role this Djokovic character (now world #1) will play.