• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

(13) Valpo vs. (4) Maryland NCAA 'Second' Rd Fri 3/20 4:40 PM EDT TNT

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 15, 2015, 10:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on March 21, 2015, 05:42:39 PM
Has anyone found any video from last night's post game press conference?
On YouTube under March Madness.  I forget the actual URL now.

valpotx

You can tell that if Vashil touched the ball last, that it would have gone a different direction.  It was off Maryland, as I am told many commentators mentioned. 

Dodd got the ball on the block, but he also got arm/shoulder on Skara, with his shoulder.  The call wasn't on the ball, but on the body foul.  He then stood over Skara and didn't back away.  It was an obvious technical foul for standing over an opponent after such a play.  You can do that for a second, but not for 5 seconds like he did.  I was yelling for a technical for a good 2 seconds before they called it.  It was very poor discipline by your player to do such a thing.  Both were the correct calls to make, and you are correct that everyone on Maryland's side was going nuts afterwards, but they were wrong. 

Keith was just plain fouled as multiple publications and other viewers have mentioned.  He might not have made all 3, but we should have had that chance.  I did also think that the ball went out of bounds on that play, so we should have at least had the ball for a chance at a catch and shoot.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Does the NCAA make apologies for such a blatantly missed call on a last second shot, or do they just ignore it like it didn't happen?  Also, that SI article mentions an interesting point about Dorsey being a Big 10 referee for several games.  He was the ref standing just a few feet away from Ram's foul on Keith, and swallowed his whistle...
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo18

Quote from: valpotx on March 21, 2015, 10:50:53 PMYou can tell that if Vashil touched the ball last, that it would have gone a different direction.  It was off Maryland, as I am told many commentators mentioned. 

They showed an angle at the very end of the review and it looked as if MD hit the ball, but the tips of Vashil's fingers were still on the ball. They showed it and the end and only once, but I thought it was a clear angle.

Quote from: valpotx on March 21, 2015, 11:43:01 PMDoes the NCAA make apologies for such a blatantly missed call on a last second shot, or do they just ignore it like it didn't happen?  Also, that SI article mentions an interesting point about Dorsey being a Big 10 referee for several games.  He was the ref standing just a few feet away from Ram's foul on Keith, and swallowed his whistle...

I'm okay with ref's not calling every bit of body contact at the end, but you can't foul a shooter like that. In real time I didn't think it was a foul (clearly it was). There were missed calls on both ends, but we should have been on the line at the end. TBH, I doubt he hits all three, but you never know.

valpotx

Right, we still might have lost, as making all 3 would be tough in a situation like that.  We can say that we put ourselves in that situation by missing a few bunnies and FTs, but the simple fact is that we were still in position to tie the game on a last second shot, in spite of these other misses.  We deserved the opportunity to take those 3 FTs, as it looks like he had all arm, and absolutely no ball.  I would feel much better today if he made 2 of 3, rather than not even having the chance.  Then we could solely blame missed opportunities, rather than missed calls.

Also, the fact that Ram says that he got it cleanly shows that he is a poor sport as well.  Knowing that they can't make a call after the game finishes, I would have just said 'no comment,' as he obviously would have known that he did smack the crap out of Keith's arm.
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoHoops

Quote from: Valpo18 on March 21, 2015, 11:51:52 PMQuote from: valpotx on March 21, 2015, 11:43:01 PM
Does the NCAA make apologies for such a blatantly missed call on a last second shot, or do they just ignore it like it didn't happen?  Also, that SI article mentions an interesting point about Dorsey being a Big 10 referee for several games.  He was the ref standing just a few feet away from Ram's foul on Keith, and swallowed his whistle...

I'm okay with ref's not calling every bit of body contact at the end, but you can't foul a shooter like that. In real time I didn't think it was a foul (clearly it was). There were missed calls on both ends, but we should have been on the line at the end. TBH, I doubt he hits all three, but you never know.

Dorsey is also the official who had the block call and the charge call on Alec. I have yet to watch the TV broadcast of the game, but neither seemed right in person. Especially the fact that he gave Wells shots on the first one. Wells had thrown the ball 20 feet into the air well before he hit Alec it seemed.

But again...we had many chances to not be in that position, so anywhere we look has to start with the mirror.

truth219

When we got to the nationwide arena and found out no beer was served. ....I was sad.

vu72

"We wish we could play tomorrow and kick the crap out of somebody to make it feel better," said sophomore Alec Peters, the likely front-runner for Horizon League Player of the Year in 2016. "The reality is, it's going to be six months or whatever before we can take out our aggression." 
                       --Alec Peters--
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2015, 09:14:24 AM"We wish we could play tomorrow and kick the crap out of somebody to make it feel better," said sophomore Alec Peters, the likely front-runner for Horizon League Player of the Year in 2016. "The reality is, it's going to be six months or whatever before we can take out our aggression."

Nice!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-st-0322-20150321-story.html

BrownTown

Even as I watched the game end, I couldn't be disappointed.  All I wanted to see out of this game was for us to make it a game; to keep it close, to play hard, to NOT LET NERVES OVERCOME US and to play our game, the way we have all season.  Even though we were on the losing end of the score, it's very difficult to not consider this the biggest moral victory since placing 3rd at the Great Alaska Shootout in 1999, or the 1997 Boston College loss.  If we can keep this group together, we will be a force to be reckoned with next season, for sure.  We'll be a marked team, but we were marked in the HL Tourney anyway and won despite injuries to significant players.  Additionally, if Smits and Relvao develop as quickly as Tevonn and Skara have... look out!

I've heard a lot of talk about "how free throws killed us".  Well, yes; they've been this way all season, we just have never seen the missed-FT issue cost us a ballgame. 

I've heard a lot about the two calls at the end of the game that "decided it".  There were a few calls that went our way earlier in the game that absolutely should not have, so I'm not sold on those two calls deciding the game.  For one, I'd say Maryland's post defense decided the game (or our lack of being able to penetrate that defense).  Or, yes, free throws.  Those two things.

Would it have been nice to win?  Absolutely!  But, let's not forget how special 1998 was, and that they were a senior-laden bunch with an All-American player.  Expecting 1998 every time we make the tournament is foolhardy.  But again, taking into consideration how young we are and how close we came... there is absolute reason to be happy!  Imagine if we had allowed the nerves to get to us, or had Peters or Tevonn not hit shots all game.  We'd have been blown out and we'd yet again have to deal with the national Valpo-doesn't-belong-in-the-conversation label.  At the very least, we showed up, we played respectfully with a top-10 team on the national stage... and came up just a bit short.  Admit it: it was a VERY good season.  Better than any of us expected. 

And, in looking at this team, and how well they play together, there's now a reasonable expectation we can notch another NCAA win within the next few years.

Thanks guys!  So proud of all of you!  Proud to be a Crusader fan!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on March 22, 2015, 10:19:41 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2015, 09:14:24 AM"We wish we could play tomorrow and kick the crap out of somebody to make it feel better," said sophomore Alec Peters, the likely front-runner for Horizon League Player of the Year in 2016. "The reality is, it's going to be six months or whatever before we can take out our aggression."

Nice!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-st-0322-20150321-story.html

Any doubt where the leadership is coming from?

valpo64

Love Alec's comments...I think the biggest thing that happened this season was that in the Tourney, we FINALLY found out that we can play with anybody.  Disappointing? Yes, but up to this year it always appeared that our guys were overwhelmed and intimidated by "big name" programs.  Butler's success was always that they felt they could play with anybody...and they did... with confidence.  I'm hoping that this last game will finally be a start to getting us to that level also.  Great season for a great group of kids and an outstanding coaching staff.  Let's get the 2015-16 season started!!

a3uge

Quote from: valpo64 on March 22, 2015, 01:26:25 PM
Love Alec's comments...I think the biggest thing that happened this season was that in the Tourney, we FINALLY found out that we can play with anybody.  Disappointing? Yes, but up to this year it always appeared that our guys were overwhelmed and intimidated by "big name" programs.  Butler's success was always that they felt they could play with anybody...and they did... with confidence.  I'm hoping that this last game will finally be a start to getting us to that level also.  Great season for a great group of kids and an outstanding coaching staff.  Let's get the 2015-16 season started!!

First, I'll say that the idea of success some Valpo fans have (the ability to beat a handful of teams from certain conferences while completely ignoring how good the actual teams we play are and showing the amount of respect for mid majors that you'd find from Kansas fans) and the unrealistic expectations (that we turn the program into the next Wichita State, which was a FF program and a team that had an undefeated season... or a Butler, you know, the team that made back-to-back championship game runs and is now in the Big East with athletic budgets 3 times our size) makes me want to quit watching basketball forever.

But I do think this team has the confidence we haven't really see before. The 2013 team at times got rattled, would go extremely long stretches without scoring, and turned the ball over at alarming rates. I thought Valpo played with a lot of swagger Friday, throwing alley oops (okay maybe some didn't work out too well), Skara trying to posterize Wells, Nickerson draining the deep 3 to tie the game late, running traps in a 2-3 zone (something we didn't even see in conference too much), Alec and Walker taking it right to the rack consistently... We actually won the turnover battle and had  more offensive rebounds. We played with confidence because we could physically play with a top 3 Big 10 team. You couldn't say that about a Valpo team since 1998, and even then we would be extremely undersized and physically inferior.

valpopal

Quote from: BrownTown on March 22, 2015, 11:44:11 AM
I've heard a lot of talk about "how free throws killed us".  Well, yes; they've been this way all season
The poor free throw shooting is the one thing I have never understood, especially for a team coached by Bryce Drew in the city of Valparaiso, home of the Valpo method of foul shooting used by many of the best free-throw shooters in Crusader history: Bryce, Casey Schmidt, Rob Cavanaugh, Mike Jones, David Redmon, etc.

talksalot

Quote from: valpotx on March 21, 2015, 02:59:12 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on March 21, 2015, 02:29:22 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 21, 2015, 02:12:18 AMAlso, Talksalot had the pleasure of meeting me, without knowing that the loud/annoying kid next to him and his wife, was this guy
If I recall correctly, I think I was sitting a row or two behind you in section 114.  ValpoHoops was a few rows down from you, if I'm right.

Yep, I was row S in 114.  Sorry if I stood up too much, but I get excited and worked up when Valpo is playing :)

Row S was certainly the Happenin' row at Nationwide... I did look behind me to see if they were standing before I did...everytime I looked, they were already standing.... What I missed the most was not being to stick around and cheer for the team like we did in Saint Louis 17 years ago... that was magical.... but they needed to empty that arena in a hurry.  I almost felt sorry for the Session 2 fans waiting outside to get in...almost sorry.

VU2624

I have no particular feelings for or against Maryland but I didn't appreciate Turgeon's remarks at halftime which seemed dismissive of Valpo. Most coaches, no matter the score, will say the other side is tough and playing great and we know they'll be coming at us. Something along those lines.  Turgeon basically said they hadn't played very well and Valpo made some shots they apparently weren't supposed to make. No credit at all to the opponent. If I was Bryce, I'd have called timeout and showed it to the team.

sliman

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 21, 2015, 05:57:28 PM
Has anyone been able to locate the post-game video?  I didn't see it in the YouTube collection, but perhaps I missed it.

Valpo89

Quote from: valpopal on March 22, 2015, 07:31:18 PM
The poor free throw shooting is the one thing I have never understood, especially for a team coached by Bryce Drew in the city of Valparaiso, home of the Valpo method of foul shooting used by many of the best free-throw shooters in Crusader history: Bryce, Casey Schmidt, Rob Cavanaugh, Mike Jones, David Redmon, etc.
I'm going to tell you why, in the city of Valparaiso, free throw shooting has been a problem at the university.
No one knows how to PROPERLY TEACH the Valpo Free Throw Method.
The two best teachers of the method are Virgil Sweet and Skip Collins. Bryce, I'm guessing, never was taught the method by those two.
Other good teachers would include Lew Rhinehart, who was an assistant when Bryce was at VHS.
The only way for it to translate to VU would be for Bryce to spend serious time with Mr. Sweet or Mr. Collins. Learning how to TEACH the method.
Then there's the other problem of convincing a Division I basketball player to change the way he's shot free throws his entire life.
It doesn't do any good to "shoot a lot of free throws in practice" if the method you are using is wrong. Vashil may practice a lot, but he's not practicing them the right way.

truth219

Lew Rhinehart was my childhood next door neighbor.  My dad still plows his driveway every winter. Hmmm...Lew time to to pay up for all that free plowing

StlVUFan

Quote from: sliman on March 23, 2015, 10:40:04 AM
Has anyone been able to locate the post-game video?  I didn't see it in the YouTube collection, but perhaps I missed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqt93iVOFnY&index=17&list=PLXCWZ2G0LOauIvJL6MMWzH1cUlNEiX0Wg

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on March 21, 2015, 02:59:12 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on March 21, 2015, 02:29:22 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 21, 2015, 02:12:18 AMAlso, Talksalot had the pleasure of meeting me, without knowing that the loud/annoying kid next to him and his wife, was this guy
If I recall correctly, I think I was sitting a row or two behind you in section 114.  ValpoHoops was a few rows down from you, if I'm right.

Yep, I was row S in 114.  Sorry if I stood up too much, but I get excited and worked up when Valpo is playing :)
Wow, I was in row T.  Strangers in the night ...

usc4valpo

VU2624, I think you are over interpreting this. The game was very competitive and I would leave it at that.

a3uge

I like how half of us were at the game, probably chatted with each other at some point, and still nobody has any idea who anybody is ><

VULB#62

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 23, 2015, 03:45:15 PM
Quote from: valpopal on March 22, 2015, 07:31:18 PM
I'm going to tell you why, in the city of Valparaiso, free throw shooting has been a problem at the university.
No one knows how to PROPERLY TEACH the Valpo Free Throw Method.
The two best teachers of the method are Virgil Sweet and Skip Collins. Bryce, I'm guessing, never was taught the method by those two.
Other good teachers would include Lew Rhinehart, who was an assistant when Bryce was at VHS.
The only way for it to translate to VU would be for Bryce to spend serious time with Mr. Sweet or Mr. Collins. Learning how to TEACH the method.
Then there's the other problem of convincing a Division I basketball player to change the way he's shot free throws his entire life.
It doesn't do any good to "shoot a lot of free throws in practice" if the method you are using is wrong. Vashil may practice a lot, but he's not practicing them the right way.

Great points. FT shooting comes to some players naturally. Others not so much. A tried and true METHOD can work, especially with coachable kids like the guys we go after. Chuck Kriston in the 62-64 time frame was a VHS grad and a Sweet protege and sunk freebies at over 90%.

sliman

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 23, 2015, 04:46:25 PM
Quote from: sliman on March 23, 2015, 10:40:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqt93iVOFnY&index=17&list=PLXCWZ2G0LOauIvJL6MMWzH1cUlNEiX0Wg

Thanks for the link.  Was interested to hear if Maryland showed us any respect.