• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

(13) Valpo vs. (4) Maryland NCAA 'Second' Rd Fri 3/20 4:40 PM EDT TNT

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 15, 2015, 10:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

I didn't say it out loud until after the game was over, but down the stretch I was already thinking this is by far the best tournament performance for this school since 1998, which is not to completely indict some of those other teams since they probably weren't good enough to give this kind of performance.  Overall strength deficiency usually tends to be a double-whammy: not only are you seeded worse, but your opponent is even more intimidating.  But I think 2002 and 2013 stand out as games where I felt like we should be able to hang with our opponent even if we couldn't pull it out.

I'm quite bummed by the sad (and depressing) way it ended, but I was very impressed with the effort and resolve.  I thought they recovered nicely every time they peed down their legs, and they had their fate in their own hands at the end.  That's quite an improvement.  The last time I saw this was the Rhode Island game in 98.

If you weren't there, you missed an even worse name gaffe.  The PA guy at one point called our 6-8 point guard E Jordan Nickerson.   :banghead: :rant:

Quite a few neutral observers who have gained a measure of respectability as commentators argued that Keith Carter should have been on the line shooting 3 FTs.  We were on the opposite side, though as someone pointed out, if the defender got all ball, the ball would not have done what it did, so I trust they are right.  I also did not see the out of bounds play clearly, but nearly everyone who did (and who had no rooting interest bias) jumped up and down about how the refs called it wrong.

By the same token, I think I saw us get away with a few things, though nothing specific springs to mind (I just got back from the evening session from hell -- event staff were finally allowed to go home around 1:40 am).  Dayton fans took over the place, if you're interested.  Albany got a little hosed by the refs, not that it made the difference.  The Providence coach got T'd up for -- I'm not kidding -- knocking over a chair in the huddle during a timeout.

At any rate, if I had to point to one specific reason why this game was so much better than 2013 or 2004 or 2002 or 2000 or 1999, making 12 3s springs to mind.  In those other years, the games seemed dominated by wide open looks that missed (and often horribly).  We had a couple of those today, but a lot more swishes.  It really was a fun game to be at.  A couple of times I felt that nagging feeling like this was going to be just the same kind of depressing game, but it never lasted very long.  Most notably after the 11-2 start I was really worried, but shortly thereafter the game was afoot.

One can be bummed at the loss (and heartbroken too), while also being proud of the team and their performance on the national stage, and that's me today.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on March 21, 2015, 02:12:18 AMAlso, Talksalot had the pleasure of meeting me, without knowing that the loud/annoying kid next to him and his wife, was this guy
If I recall correctly, I think I was sitting a row or two behind you in section 114.  ValpoHoops was a few rows down from you, if I'm right.

Pgmado

I'll put together a post-mortem later this week. I'm going to be spending the next few days working on high school softball! I did want to add something in defense of the broadcasters. I sat right next to Ian and Doug and met with them yesterday. They were given their assignment on Sunday and had eight teams to learn in four days. I highly doubt they watched Valparaiso's recent games. It takes a village to prep for games like this. Aaron Leavitt did a great job prepping both of them (Ian's notes were very detailed). Doug met with Bryce for much of practice yesterday. When I met with them I shared a few anecdotes, likely the same that Aaron or others shared.

I haven't seen the tape, but I can vouch that they spent as much time prepping as they could. I spoke to Ian last night before I left the arena and asked him if he needed anymore Valpo stuff. He said "I've been preparing so much I can't even see straight. I don't even know when those two teams play."

Prepping eight teams in four days isn't ideal. It takes a village.

valpotx

Even Maryland's website mentions the below:

The Crusaders were down 3 with one last chance for coach Bryce Drew to draw up a winning play. He didn't need a length of the court pass as he did when he made the most famous shot in school history back in the 1998 tournament, but Valpo did need a 3.

Keith Carter went up for one in the corner, but Ram reached in and swiped the ball away -- maybe getting some of Carter's arm in the process.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 21, 2015, 02:29:22 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 21, 2015, 02:12:18 AMAlso, Talksalot had the pleasure of meeting me, without knowing that the loud/annoying kid next to him and his wife, was this guy
If I recall correctly, I think I was sitting a row or two behind you in section 114.  ValpoHoops was a few rows down from you, if I'm right.

Yep, I was row S in 114.  Sorry if I stood up too much, but I get excited and worked up when Valpo is playing :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Quote from: Pgmado on March 21, 2015, 02:46:07 AM
I'll put together a post-mortem later this week. I'm going to be spending the next few days working on high school softball! I did want to add something in defense of the broadcasters. I sat right next to Ian and Doug and met with them yesterday. They were given their assignment on Sunday and had eight teams to learn in four days. I highly doubt they watched Valparaiso's recent games. It takes a village to prep for games like this. Aaron Leavitt did a great job prepping both of them (Ian's notes were very detailed). Doug met with Bryce for much of practice yesterday. When I met with them I shared a few anecdotes, likely the same that Aaron or others shared.

I haven't seen the tape, but I can vouch that they spent as much time prepping as they could. I spoke to Ian last night before I left the arena and asked him if he needed anymore Valpo stuff. He said "I've been preparing so much I can't even see straight. I don't even know when those two teams play."

Prepping eight teams in four days isn't ideal. It takes a village.

Preparation and lack of respect are different.  I watched the first half and had to listen to the national radio broadcast for most of the second half.  The radio broadcasters were much more balanced.  I was particularly disappointed when the television announcer excused the taunting that resulted in a technical.  It seemed that someone must have gotten in his ear to tell him that his opinion was way off, because he backed off a bit.  They certainly were prepped enough to know Alec is our key player, but they failed to mention that he was called for his second foul in the first half, while we were continually informed of stats for the Md players. 

Of course, we all we're tracking our players performance, and we appreciate their effort yesterday and throughout the season.
Beamin' Beacons

Smj

I am so happy with this team.   Best team in years and way better than I expected...   Just a couple different situations and we make the next round.   However, I need to say. ...

1. We got hosed by the selection committee (seeding sucked)
2. Why have replay if you are still going to get the call wrong (the ball was obviously out on Maryland)
3. If at the end of a game a foul keeps a player from even attempting to put the ball in the air YOU MUST CALL IT.

Wow - we looked like a great team.  Near the end I was thinking that this team was about to make some noise. ..   I know it is just a game but - I just really wanted the win for these kids.    They would have loved how the media responds to a win at this level.

Flinger29

Terps fan here.   First off, great game...you have one heck of a 3 point shooting team.   If you have most of your players coming back, you are going to a force next year.  Your team showed a lot of fight and kept coming back and didnt back down - much respect for your team.   Peters is a stud, plays with a lot of grit, and from the other side he made a couple of borderline dirty plays...but that's basketball.  Looks like a future pro.

As far as the officiating goes, there is no debate on this point - you all got fouled on the last shot of the game. No question.  Ref has to make that call.  However, the rebound play that got tipped out of bounds, both players hit that ball at the same time.  Don't know how u can say that was obviously off Maryland.  Also, how about MD's starting center Dodd who picked up his third and 4th foul on the clear block and then subsequent tech foul when Peters tried to dunk on him early in the 2nd half.  Peters was clearly not fouled, then fell to the feet of Dodd who stared down at him when he just laying there at his feet.  Trust me - MD fans were losing their sht after that play.  Lost our starting C for most of the 2nd half bc of an awful ref call.

Anyway - great game...marred by some awful calls on both sides.  This is how MD has won games all year.  Think I said that earlier in this thread.  We don't blow out anyone...they just find a way with Trimble, Wells and good FT shooting.  Good luck next year for u guys. No doubt we'll see u back in the big dance.

Btw- Bryce Drew seems like a class act.  But do have to question his decision to run clock all the way down at the end of the game just to shoot a 3 at the end. Oh well.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Flinger29 on March 21, 2015, 06:31:48 AMAlso, how about MD's starting center Dodd who picked up his third and 4th foul on the clear block and then subsequent tech foul when Peters tried to dunk on him early in the 2nd half.  Peters was clearly not fouled, then fell to the feet of Dodd who stared down at him when he just laying there at his feet. 
First of all, that was Skara (maybe "they all look alike" to you).

Second of all, it wasn't a block if he got hands rather than ball.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

4. Just saw the end again and the ball goes out of bounds after "the foul" and we should have gotten the ball with about a second left.

LaPorteAveApostle

[tweet]579070242086727680[/tweet]

Says it all right there.  Also some dude lost his @#$ on that and was all calling him out for "not supporting his conference."

As if MD belongs in the B1G.  And as if Robbie should care.  (He played so long at Purdue when he got there Penn State wasn't even in the B1G yet. ...ok that's a lie.  but Nebraska wasn't.)

Check out the conversation:
https://twitter.com/RobbieHummel/status/579070242086727680

Robbie's only response:
[tweet]579085276129071104[/tweet]
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpofan00

Can't believe this season is already over. We should of won that game refs suck. Ugh this is depressing but the future is bright. I hope we don't redshirt Relvao he looks like a stud. Maybe another Vashil? He's an inch shorter but I think a longer wingspan I'm not sure. We get Lexus back. More improved current players. Hopefully smits provides some down low scoring and hammink looks like a complete stud. Do we have any scholarships left? If not maybe someone transfers? We could really use another shooter. Alec peters 2.0

Valpo18

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 21, 2015, 07:43:43 AM
Quote from: Flinger29 on March 21, 2015, 06:31:48 AMAlso, how about MD's starting center Dodd who picked up his third and 4th foul on the clear block and then subsequent tech foul when Peters tried to dunk on him early in the 2nd half.  Peters was clearly not fouled, then fell to the feet of Dodd who stared down at him when he just laying there at his feet.
First of all, that was Skara (maybe "they all look alike" to you). Second of all, it wasn't a block if he got hands rather than ball.

That block on Skara was definitely a block. He had all ball and minimal body contact. It was a bad call by the ref. The tech wasn't though.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo18 on March 21, 2015, 08:32:24 AMThat block on Skara was definitely a block.
Got the hand and the wrist. 

It's easier to see if you had the color guy on mute.

bbtds

Quote from: Valpower on March 20, 2015, 11:51:42 PMbut the Stevenson parallel escapes me.

Actually there are a lot of Laporte's comments that escape me so you have company in that regard but you gotta love his thinking and creative ability!

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 20, 2015, 11:43:26 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 20, 2015, 11:33:55 PMWe need somebody who is a true post player and is a threat to score every time he gets a touch in the post.

Rik and Derrik were very visible at the game. I noticed Rik had to sit on top of the seat arms sometimes so he had enough room for his legs. OTOH, Mrs. Smits had no issues with the seats.  :)

Smj

The skara foul/block was not at the ball it was the body. ...

Flinger29

Quote from: Smj on March 21, 2015, 09:07:07 AM
The skara foul/block was not at the ball it was the body. ...

LOL. Ok.  I'm sure if that was Wells driving for a dunk, and Skara clearly blocked it with his hand on the ball, you would be claiming it was the right call  bc he got him "with the body".    Give me a break. 

You guys played a great game, but believe it or not...Valpo benefitted from some bad ref calls too.  But if in your minds, u want to blame the refs as the reason u all lost, so be it.  It's not going to change anything. Next time don't be down 3 points at the end of the game where a ref call can decide it.

Valpo18

Quote from: Smj on March 21, 2015, 09:07:07 AMThe skara foul/block was not at the ball it was the body. ...

I'd have to see it again, but it didn't look like there was that much body contact when they were showing the replays and even live.

valpopal

An interesting article at Sports Illustrated about the Drews, especially Homer, which includes this revealing paragraph about "The Foul": "After the Valpo loss, Bryce stood against the wall in the hallway of Nationwide Arena. Four men in suits surrounded him, school and conference officials from Valpo and the Horizon League. They held their IPhones out showing both still shots and video evidence of Ram's obvious foul. Drew shook his head in disbelief at one point, asking who he should complain to that a Big Ten official—Dorsey does games in the league— ended up officiating in an NCAA tournament game with a Big Ten team. When approached by a reporter on the topic of the call, he summed up his feelings pithily: 'I'm not going to say anything about the refs.'"

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/20/homer-drew-bryce-scott-georgia-state-baylor-valpo-maryland

ValpoHoops

The call on Skara was questionable, but its ALWAYS called. The non-call on Keith is not. It was a foul.

As far as the technical, it appeared he said something to Skara on the floor and stood over him. I wish more officials would call this, to be honest.

That said, I don't think anyone here is blaming the officiating. We had a chance and didn't execute.

There were two possessions in particular...both of which we were down one. On the first, Darien took a terrible three and got yanked, on the second, we didn't block out and Wells got the and-one.

Those were the key points, to me.

[Photos by Kirk Irwin/Getty Images]

wh

For anyone in NWI, you might want to pick up a Times newspaper to see their coverage of last night's game. There are numerous articles starting with the lead story on the front page accompanied by numerous color pictures. The online version doesn't do it justice. Congratulations to Paul Oren on a great job of writing multiple stories from different perspectives!

For the record I haven't yet seen the Post Tribune. It could be good, also. I just haven't seen it.

agibson

Quote from: gamelord on March 20, 2015, 04:09:23 PM
This game time delay is killing me lol. Unfortunately I don't have cable right now so am resorting to listening to wvur on tunein radio. Listening to Todd is well worth it anyway.

Ah, did it wind up on TuneIn?  WVUR had originally said it wouldn't be there.  Glad to hear Todd had a shot at a national audience.  It was pretty noisy in the Union, and, you know, national broadcast.  So I was checking in on a small radio at timeouts.  Was running maybe 30 seconds ahead of the TV.

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on March 20, 2015, 06:56:37 PM
One wrong call and one no call really hurt us at the end. Ball was definitely out off of Dodd and not Vashil on the out of bounds where they went to the monitor. Even good old Doug Gottlieb couldn't figure out how they came up with that one.  As my wife always says "referees should have to take a physics class".

I was definitely thinking about the physics watching the replays (and watching the last play).  On the out of bounds, it was very clear that the UMD player provided most of the impulse.  But, that's not the call.  It's who touched it last.  And, after several replays, I decided I'd have to see several more.  Vashil has such big hands.  Did it graze his pinky on its way out of bounds?  Might have.  And, I'm not exactly sure how the replays work- is it like football, ruling on the court stands without incontrovertible evidence?  From the TV replays, I wasn't -sure- it missed Vashil.

I'd have liked to see Dodd foul out earlier, which one of the commentators was calling for. Always tough in those multi-contact situations.