• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 12: Missouri State 12/19

Started by VULB#62, December 12, 2015, 09:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2015, 01:34:12 PM
Maybe I'm old fashioned and naive but I care more about scoring more points instead of the showboating that leads to blown easy lay-ups or lay-ins. The goal should not be slamming balls home but getting the points recorded.

Kudos to Darien Walker who many times takes his good old sweet time when he could be slamming it home and carefully lays in the ball so he doesn't blow it.

I also don't want to see the bench showboating by doing crazy dances on the sidelines. I guess it goes against the grain of the way my coaches taught me as a kid and I'm not happy with it. Of course now the players will want an apology from me----"how can you take away our fun?"

Those antics might account for Monmouth's R/V  this week because of all the press coverage that brought (not taking away their 2 quality wins though)

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on December 22, 2015, 03:03:43 PMWhy would a lay-in be easier there?

How many blown lay-ins can you think of as compared to blown dunks?

HC

Shuuuuuut up...bench celebrations keep those guys in the game and are fun for 99% of the crowd to watch. I showed my bench guys highlights of the Monmouth bench before our last game. They loved it. On court celebrations are basically the same. As long as you aren't doing something derogatory or taunting an opponent during a blowout, go have your fun!

HC

I'm thinking he's joking about layups over dunks...he's gotta be joking.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2015, 01:34:12 PMOf course now the players younger posters will want an apology from me----"how can you take away our fun?"

I assume we are of different generations. To each their own. I was expressing an opinion.

The lay-in thing is true. It's why coaches such as Wooden, Knight, Gene Bartow, Keady, etc. didn't allow it on their teams.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on December 24, 2015, 10:35:40 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2015, 01:34:12 PMOf course now the players younger posters will want an apology from me----"how can you take away our fun?"

I assume we are of different generations. To each their own. I was expressing an opinion.

The lay-in thing is true. It's why coaches such as Wooden, Knight, Gene Bartow, Keady, etc. didn't allow it on their teams.

Far be it from me to poke such legends, but it depends on what kind of dunk.  If you're trying to impress judges with lots of style, obviously a layup is better.  If you go up with the no-nonsense approach, I still think dunking is better.  Less margin for error.

oklahomamick

Would like to know if Valpo plays Missouri St. at Springfield, MO next year? 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 27, 2015, 05:15:49 PMWould like to know if Valpo plays Missouri St. at Springfield, MO next year? 
We will play a return game somewhere.

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 27, 2015, 12:51:11 AMFar be it from me to poke such legends, but it depends on what kind of dunk.  If you're trying to impress judges with lots of style, obviously a layup is better.  If you go up with the no-nonsense approach, I still think dunking is better.  Less margin for error.
You are only partially correct. The shorter and less athletic you are the more things that can and do go wrong. Players will jump too soon, too late, off stride or indecisively leading to those long bounces off the rim that are sometimes turned into quick points for the other team. That is what the coaches really hate.

StlVUFan

Quote from: justducky on December 27, 2015, 05:41:10 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on December 27, 2015, 05:15:49 PMWould like to know if Valpo plays Missouri St. at Springfield, MO next year?
We will play a return game somewhere.

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 27, 2015, 12:51:11 AMFar be it from me to poke such legends, but it depends on what kind of dunk.  If you're trying to impress judges with lots of style, obviously a layup is better.  If you go up with the no-nonsense approach, I still think dunking is better.  Less margin for error.
You are only partially correct. The shorter and less athletic you are the more things that can and do go wrong. Players will jump too soon, too late, off stride or indecisively leading to those long bounces off the rim that are sometimes turned into quick points for the other team. That is what the coaches really hate.
I'm talking about standing there in front of the basket, whether square or on either side, jumping up with 2 hands and dropping the ball through, not anything with a lot of testosterone behind it.

Then again, maybe those opportunities are few enough that my point is immaterial ;)

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on December 24, 2015, 10:35:40 PM

Why do you think Wooden and Knight didn't allow dunking?   I think they both liked the high percentage shot.

If you watch games from about 1968 through 1976, including IU's NCAA championship game, you might be misled into thinking they didn't like the dunk, but the dunk was illegal during those years (Lew Alcindor rule)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk