• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 35 St. Mary's @ the ARC, Tuesday, March 22; time 6PM CST

Started by Kyle321n, March 18, 2016, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Quote from: nkvu on March 20, 2016, 08:42:46 PM
St. Mary's reminds me a bit of Wright State in that they are disciplined on both offense and defence. Bigger up front maybe not as athletic but maybe better at sharing the ball and hitting the open shot. Their point guard is sneaky good and makes good decisions when to go to the rack and when to dish. We will have to get out and really defend the three.

This will be a challenge.  I hope the travel, playing at our place before a big crowd, and an "A" game from Valpo will give us the margin we need to win.

I was thinking this same thing when watching the game, that they are a carbon copy of Wright State.  They are very unathletic, but pass the ball well, and hit their open shots despite bad shooting form (several players).  Georgia's big man was awful, otherwise this game would have been a lot closer.  They missed many bunnies, which wasn't due to the defense, but rather just shooting short/wide.  They played all home games out-of-conference, except for one true road game at Cal.  I think that they will have some jet lag, and not hit the open shots in our gym, like they do in their gym.  Their gaudy 51% FG and 41% 3-pt are probably more due to having the vast majority of their games at home....

Valpo 72
St. Mary's 61
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

In the post game their Aussie point guard gave props to Valpo's D.  Think I heard they have several Aussie players on their team. Makes me wish we hadn't lost our Aussie connection after Rowdie graduated.  I miss koala's barrack posts for Valpo.

usc4valpo

For the past 40 years in my life I have always got the impression that Purdue fans think their teams, football and basketball, are better than what they really are. I always thought Gene Keady was an incredibly overrated coach and their teams consistently underachieved. Cripe, they have not been in the final 4 since 1980, and they are a Big 10 team in Indiana!

valpo64

Let's hope that after a win tonight the P.A. system blares with Sinatra's rendition of "New York".  GO VALPO!

usc4valpo

vu72

Quote from: nkvu on March 21, 2016, 01:46:14 AM
In the post game their Aussie point guard gave props to Valpo's D.  Think I heard they have several Aussie players on their team. Makes me wish we hadn't lost our Aussie connection after Rowdie graduated.  I miss koala's barrack posts for Valpo.

Yep, six of them.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

St Mary's has had a long Aussie tradition, including Matt "Delly-Trey" Dellavedova (Cavs) and Patty Mills (Spurs) (two other Boomer Olympians, along with our Ryan).  And, yes they have 6 current Aussies.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

agibson

Quote from: valpo84 on March 21, 2016, 11:01:20 AM
St Mary's has had a long Aussie tradition, including Matt "Delly-Trey" Dellavedova (Cavs) and Patty Mills (Spurs) (two other Boomer Olympians, along with our Ryan).  And, yes they have 6 current Aussies.

Geography probably helps - a bit closer to home, maybe more flights from SF area, just the feel of pacific rim, etc. but it would be great if we could reignite our AIS connection.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on March 18, 2016, 01:11:30 PMFrom KenPom I might make St. Mary's 1 point favorites on a neutral court, but obviously the NCAA selection committee had a moderate preference for Valpo (non-conference scheduling?) and gave us the "last four out" nod that gave us the #1 NIT seed.  Figure us for... 4 or 5 point favorites on our home court?

One sports book opened at 2.5, but quickly moved to 5. The others followed suit, opening with Valpo as 4, mostly 5, point favorites.

When's the last time we were dogs? Oregon? Just three games this season?

When I checked this morning there were maybe 1000 seats left on sale upstairs - most of AA was still available for sale, for example. Probably some hundreds in reserve as well (first three rows in mezzanine, much of EE maybe for students, staff, or walk-up sales).

It'd be great fun to sell out the listed inventory in advance!

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on March 21, 2016, 11:54:31 AM
Quote from: agibson on March 18, 2016, 01:11:30 PMFrom KenPom I might make St. Mary's 1 point favorites on a neutral court, but obviously the NCAA selection committee had a moderate preference for Valpo (non-conference scheduling?) and gave us the "last four out" nod that gave us the #1 NIT seed.  Figure us for... 4 or 5 point favorites on our home court?

One sports book opened at 2.5, but quickly moved to 5. The others followed suit, opening with Valpo as 4, mostly 5, point favorites.

When I checked this morning there were maybe 1000 seats left on sale upstairs - most of AA was still available for sale, for example. Probably some hundreds in reserve as well (first three rows in mezzanine, much of EE maybe for students, staff, or walk-up sales).

According to KenPom we were dogs at Oregon St., Oregon and Rhode Island. That's it for him, I don't know about Vegas.

Speaking of KenPom we're 3 point favorites, 65-62. If it is that low scoring I think that definitely favors us.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 21, 2016, 12:59:40 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 21, 2016, 11:54:31 AM

According to KenPom we were dogs at Oregon St., Oregon and Rhode Island. That's it for him, I don't know about Vegas.

Speaking of KenPom we're 3 point favorites, 65-62. If it is that low scoring I think that definitely favors us.

Just checked the seating chart and found 267 seats available in AA, 67 in BB, 65 in CC and 137 in DD for a total for sale of 536.  That's over 40 sold in the last 1.5 hours.  With the weather forecast calling for 62 and cloudy, if the students and faculty show up in force it could be standing room only!  Let's hope so!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 21, 2016, 01:35:16 PMJust checked the seating chart and found 267 seats available in AA, 67 in BB, 65 in CC and 137 in DD for a total for sale of 536.  That's over 40 sold in the last 1.5 hours. 

And like 500 sold in the last six hours.

We're talking back 4-6 rows in BB, CC, DD available, and only about half of AA. Had to predict the pace, but it looks like the available tickets could sell out today.

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on March 21, 2016, 10:13:34 AM
Let's hope that after a win tonight the P.A. system blares with Sinatra's rendition of "New York".  GO VALPO!

The next NIT game against St Marys is Tuesday ?

Correct?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Kyle321n

Yeah I mean it's been in the title of the thread the entire time  ::)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VULB#62

For me it will be Wednesday as I am in Shanghai, China, but I finally connected to the interweb out here and caught up on the posts.

After my long 14 hour flight from LA, the SMC  Aussies would not blink about a quick hop from LA or SFO to ORD if we got another one like Ryan -- believe me.  Also having commuted weekly to and from the west coast from MKE for over a year last year, there is no appreciable jet lag involved in the two hour time change. It'll come down to the quick turn around coupled with all the logistical hassles that are associated with that AND not being able to adjust to our claustrophobic (said lovingly) arena AND a full house that will make it very hard for them to play to their optimum.

From the People's Republic of China -- GO VALPO!!!

vu72

Right now, 340 seats for sale.  Amazing.  Haven't seen this sort of demand since Butler visited before they became fearful.   ;D

valpotx

If we win this game, I am going to the Final Four of the NIT at MSG.  We have an office at 5 Penn Plaza, literally just across the street from MSG.  I can still work each day that way, and attend the games afterwards (assuming that they are at night) :thumbsup:
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on March 21, 2016, 06:06:09 PM
If we win this game, I am going to the Final Four of the NIT at MSG.  We have an office at 5 Penn Plaza, literally just across the street from MSG.  I can still work each day that way, and attend the games afterwards (assuming that they are at night) :thumbsup:
Although I am just about traveled out (for basketball), I *wish* I could go to that.  Never been to MSG before.

Unfortunately, I have to travel for work to Arlington, Texas  >:(

vu72

Now 299 left, with 216 in AA. Only seats in ZZ (top row) available in CC and DD.  Amazing.  Expect standing room only!!

ValpoDad89

I was waiting on a couple buddies to get back to me and finally bought tix in Section AA RowTT. I COUNTED there are around 200 left. As far as St. Mary's a team comparable to us, disciplined but we need to make them feel out of their element . Hopefully the crowd and oil Crusaders can do That!!!!!

Start spreading the news.....

wh

I can picture a lot more walk-ups than we have tickets remaining. A lot more. I hope we don't have to turn people away, but doesnt every venue have a capacity set by the fire inspector?

govalpogo

I think the max that the ARC can officially have is 5,432 based on that exact attendance being posted after a couple of games (Butler, Purdue?) while I was in school.  Of course, I'm sure there are those with insider info on the board who could give a less speculative answer.  Time to defend as the last #1 seed in the NIT. 

koala

You know I am still here and we still follow Valpo from afar  :thumbsup:   

The Assistant Coach at St Mary's was Ryan's coach at The Australian Institute Of Sport so it all makes sense them having so many Aussies on the team.

You know if I found another Rowdy I'd send him to Valpo, we are still looking  :)

Good luck to the team, we will be watching  ;)

nkvu

Quote from: koala on March 21, 2016, 10:30:20 PM
You know I am still here and we still follow Valpo from afar  :thumbsup:   

The Assistant Coach at St Mary's was Ryan's coach at The Australian Institute Of Sport so it all makes sense them having so many Aussies on the team.

You know if I found another Rowdy I'd send him to Valpo, we are still looking  :)

Good luck to the team, we will be watching  ;)

Great to hear from you koala!  Still following Rowdy and hoping he gets an nba shot real soon.