• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Turn back the clock

Started by usc4valpo, January 03, 2019, 03:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Suggestion box entry:

Have a game with throwback unis from the late 70s-early 80s. Have the game at Hilltop if feasible. and for those who remember, have the Michael Stanley Band play after the game! bring back old cheer unis, Earth Wind and Fire music from the pep band, etc.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 03, 2019, 03:31:36 PM
Suggestion box entry:

Have a game with throwback unis from the late 70s-early 80s. Have the game at Hilltop if feasible. and for those who remember, have the Michael Stanley Band play after the game! bring back old cheer unis, Earth Wind and Fire music from the pep band, etc.

;D  Fun idea, but unfortunately I believe the bleachers above the south side of the ARC would need to be totally reversed so they would face toward Hilltop instead of the ARC. You could do all the other things in the ARC however.

usc4valpo

Do the bleachers at Hilltop still exist?

usc4valpo

To celebrate over 40 years of Divsion 1 basketball, we can also invite the all time greatest team and leaders during that span, or those who had impact on the program.

VUGrad1314

This might be a good idea for the Vandy game when I presume the Drews will be in attendance? I know it's not just the Drews but they've obviously had a huge impact and would need to be consulted\included in an event like this.

VALPO LI

USC that is an awesome and fun idea. :thumbsup:  I think it is a great investment opportunity for the university book store as well, for this event will help them liquidate a lot of their current merchandise.
Shine on Vu

VULB#62

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 03, 2019, 04:16:04 PM
This might be a good idea for the Vandy game when I presume the Drews will be in attendance? I know it's not just the Drews but they've obviously had a huge impact and would need to be consulted\included in an event like this.

Isn't Vandy supposed to fulfill a schedule obligation to play at Valpo?  That's the game to pull out all the stops and do it ! Lovethe idea  :thumbsup:

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 03, 2019, 05:58:53 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 03, 2019, 04:16:04 PM

Isn't Vandy supposed to fulfill a schedule obligation to play at Valpo?  That's the game to pull out all the stops and do it ! Lovethe idea  :thumbsup:

Yes, we have been told that Vanderbilt is coming to the ARC during the 2019-20 season. It has been mentioned that Bryce wanted it this way so that all of his former players will for sure be gone from the Valpo program, including the players he recruited, before the game will be played.

usc4valpo

I am not sure about the Vanderbilt connection for a turn back the clock game as that would be a separate event. I propose facing Western Michigan, who I believe was our first Div. 1 opponent.

talksalot

First D1 in the ARC.  Don't look at the score... the Notre Dame dedication game was later

usc4valpo

Who was the first opponent we played as a Div.1 team?

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 04, 2019, 01:36:51 PM
Who was the first opponent we played as a Div.1 team?

I scraped this together from the Valpo All Time Results page on the Basketball website as well as a couple of Google/Wikipedia searches.

In 1982 Valpo was part of the start up of the AMCU, later called the Mid-Con and then ultimately the Summit League.  As an AMCU D-I team that first season, the first opponent on the schedule was Illinois Tech, but they probably weren't a D-I team.  We then played Butler (and beat em) followed by a 50-94 drubbing at Illinois (our first legit D-I opponent as a D-I team). Before 1982, it looks like we were an independent under Tom Smith and Ken Rocklitz (as we no longer were competing in the Indiana Collegiate Conference) from the 78-79 season to the 81-82 season.  Throughout this period we played a ton of legit D-I teams (ND, Loyola, Bradley, Northwestern, etc).

In the dedication season of the ARC (88-89) under first year coach Homer Drew, we played the following leading up to the ND home win:
@ Butler (L)
Evansville (L)
@ W Mich (L)
Illinois Tech (W)
Air Force (L)
@ Montana (W)
Vs. Centenary (@ Montana) (L)
Ball State (L)
Notre Dame (W - OT)

I don't know if this helps in sorting out a great matchup for a Turn Back the Clock game though.

zvillehaze

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 04, 2019, 04:31:54 PM
In the dedication season of the ARC (88-89) under first year coach Homer Drew, we played the following leading up to the ND home win:
@ Butler (L)
Evansville (L)
@ W Mich (L)
Illinois Tech (W)
Air Force (L)
@ Montana (W)
Ball State (L)
Notre Dame (W - OT)

The ARC opened for the 1984-1985 season ... I think the dedication game was in December of 1984.

VULB#62

Quote from: zvillehaze on January 04, 2019, 06:07:08 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on January 04, 2019, 04:31:54 PM
@ Butler (L)
Evansville (L)
@ W Mich (L)
Illinois Tech (W)
Air Force (L)
@ Montana (W)
Ball State (L)
Notre Dame (W - OT)

The ARC opened for the 1984-1985 season ... I think the dedication game was in December of 1984.

You are absolutely correct zville. Thanks.  I confused our Miracle Game with the dedication game.

In the dedication season here are the games prior to the ND dedication game.  It was our 3rd season in the AMCU:

W Mich. (L)
Ill Tech (W)
@ Butler (L)
St. Xavier (L)
ND (L 57-88)

usc4valpo

Valpo went division 1 in 1977-78. Their first opponent was Western Michigan. That IMO would be the ideal opponent, especially if it can be done at Hilltop (is that feasible?).

Norte Dame, now that they compete in the prestigious ACC,  is too pompous to even play at Valpo; if a DePaul won't do it then certainly Notre Dame will not.

This can be fun; they can bring back the old logo, play Kansas, Chicago, Parliament and EWF during the timeouts. The old score boards can be used. bring back the original team at half, including Coach Rochlitz. Female students can wear Farrah and Dorothy Hamill wigs, male students can find rugby shirts, izods for former Pikes, and Members Only jackets. We can sit in the old bleachers and get splinters in our behinds. It will be a beautiful thing.

VULB#62

Just a nit, but we still were in the ICC in 77-78. It was the next season that we were independent (or something) cuz the All-Time Results has no conference affilliation listed. I don't know if we were actually D-I for those four years though. WMU was the first D-I game on the schedule in 78-79, however.

usc4valpo

62 - not true - Valpo was an independent in 77-78. There were some handwritten stats that were can be googled which shows IIC, but that was incorrectly written.

usc4valpo

Ok, so much for my insane idea of having the game at Hilltop - it looks like all the seating has been removed after googling for pictures. The gym looks great however, and I am sure the dead spots have been removed.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 04, 2019, 09:36:21 PM
62 - not true - Valpo was an independent in 77-78. There were some handwritten stats that were can be googled which shows IIC, but that was incorrectly written.

Just going by the official Valpo Athletic Website MBB  page for All-Time Results. It lists Valpo as finishing 3rd of 5 teams in the ICC in 77-78. Take it up with Aaron. .

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 04, 2019, 07:33:30 PMThat IMO would be the ideal opponent, especially if it can be done at Hilltop (is that feasible?).

Sure is, as long as there aren't more than about 100 folks at the game.  There are no bleachers left at Hilltop.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Yes you are correct. my bad.

That being said, I now think a Turn back the clock event can be done with Vandy. I think it can be fun.

valpopal

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 05, 2019, 08:57:35 AM
Yes you are correct. my bad.

That being said, I now think a Turn back the clock event can be done with Vandy. I think it can be fun.

A game with Vandy will be an automatic sellout. A special promotion event of any kind would be better saved for a game where attendance needs a boost.

VULB#62

usc4valpo

Agreed. Thank goodness we have the shot clock for a game like this so we don't have to experience the 9 minute last second shot through the brilliance of coach Tom Smith.

VULB#62

Or the Dean Smith 4-corner offense.    :o