• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Scot Drew

Started by Just Sayin, March 12, 2019, 02:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Men's college basketball coaches who make at least $3 million

No. 18: Scott Drew, Baylor: $3,062,445 -- Because Baylor is a private school, Drew's total is the one reported on the school's most recently available federal income tax return, which covers pay for the 2016 calendar year, including benefits and bonuses. The return also said he received just over $11,000 in apparel from Nike. Jay Biggerstaff, USA TODAY Sports

oklahomamick

Wow.....Good for Scott.  Lottich has the same opportunity.  The last two coaches at Valpo are now in p5 making multi millions.  Will Lottich be the 3rd consecutive?  Not very many basketball programs could say that. 
CRUSADERS!!!

humbleopinion

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 12, 2019, 02:23:15 PMNo. 18: Scott Drew, Baylor: $3,062,445 -- Because Baylor is a private school, Drew's total is the one reported on the school's most recently available federal income tax return, which covers pay for the 2016 calendar year, including benefits and bonuses.

It's worth noting that the average American would have to work sixty years to make that much.  The money in big time sports is obscene.
Beamin' Beacons

valpo64

AMEN, Humbleopinion!    I don't care how much money he or his team brings in to the University,  These salaries are ridiculous with major football even worse than basketball.  Wasn't the new football coach at Ohio State the one who last season received a bonus of somewhere around a half a million dollars for serving a "the head coach" for 2 games that U, Meyer was suspended?  No wonder tickets are priced near $!00. And you know what is even more mind-boggling?  The people who BUY the tickets!

GoldenCrusader87

All well-said. It's all supply and demand, I guess. If the market calls for it, then call a spade a spade. It's not stopping anytime soon. Idk where the money from ticket sales goes. But, you're not going to pass up an opportunity to make that kind of cash. I will say, in comparison to some of their former players - these college coaches are only making a fraction of the kind of money too athletes (in some sports) can make. Not to mention endorsement deals. So, from that angle - they're not bringing in anywhere near the $ as the top pro athletes. Like Bryce Harper's $330 million contract lol. But again, if the market demand calls for it and his agent can make it happen - why not?

It's all about perspective. Unfortunately, many of us still run the rat race and buy-into the keeping up with the Jones's never ending cycle of wanting more.

Meanwhile, many of us are part of the 1%.

If you make more than $50,000 a year, you are among the top 1 percent of earners on the entire planet.

Easier said than done, though. Because it's tough to compare ourselves to those who have more ... not less.

crusader05

For me it's the less the money amount vs the pressure and expectations to compete at that level. Which leads to issues related to cheating. When the incentive to cheat is too high, people will do so. Look at the current admissions scandal that is rocking high level universities today.

Rich families wanting their kids to attend elite universities that will keep them in the network and circles that will help them stay rich pay money to cut corners and coaches and other people in charge of safe guarding these admissions networks, who are probably very well paid by any real measure, still can't pass up the money that's flowing their way.

It can completely warp your perspective about everything an creates a sense of anxiety that most people can't even imagine about status and achievement.

Just Sayin

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 12, 2019, 02:39:28 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 12, 2019, 02:23:15 PMNo. 18: Scott Drew, Baylor: $3,062,445 -- Because Baylor is a private school, Drew's total is the one reported on the school's most recently available federal income tax return, which covers pay for the 2016 calendar year, including benefits and bonuses.

It's worth noting that the average American would have to work sixty years to make that much.  The money in big time sports is obscene.

Average people don't have the kind of skills needed to make big bucks.

VU2014

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 12, 2019, 02:39:28 PM

Good for him. He has earned his $ and makes tons of $ for that University and having a top Basketball program like that is a huge selling point for incoming students. His salary is probably also being funded by wealthy alums.

SanityLost17

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 12, 2019, 03:13:24 PM
All well-said. It's all supply and demand, I guess. If the market calls for it, then call a spade a spade. It's not stopping anytime soon. Idk where the money from ticket sales goes. But, you're not going to pass up an opportunity to make that kind of cash. I will say, in comparison to some of their former players - these college coaches are only making a fraction of the kind of money too athletes (in some sports) can make. Not to mention endorsement deals. So, from that angle - they're not bringing in anywhere near the $ as the top pro athletes. Like Bryce Harper's $330 million contract lol. But again, if the market demand calls for it and his agent can make it happen - why not?

It's all about perspective. Unfortunately, many of us still run the rat race and buy-into the keeping up with the Jones's never ending cycle of wanting more.

Meanwhile, many of us are part of the 1%.

If you make more than $50,000 a year, you are among the top 1 percent of earners on the entire planet.

Easier said than done, though. Because it's tough to compare ourselves to those who have more ... not less.

Well dang....Appears I will never achieve the top 1%.  I knew I should have picked a different career path.  11th year teaching in Indiana and I am yet to eclipse $39,000.  Supply and Demand I suppose.  Everybody wants their kids to be educated but nobody wants to pay taxes, I mean unless it is tax money going towards D1 public sports programs (coaches, facilities, etc.).  That represents a fine way to use tax dollars.   Sigh....     

Just Sayin

How Much Money Do The Top Income Earners Make?

What The Top 1%, 5%, 10%, 25%, and 50% Make In America
Based on the Internal Revenue Service's 2010-2015 database below, here's how much the top Americans make:

Top 1%: $380,354

Top 5%: $159,619

Top 10%: $113,799

Article:
https://www.financialsamurai.com/how-much-money-do-the-top-income-earners-make-percent/

More recent:

Income Category     2016 AGI         Percent of All Income   Percent of Income Taxes Paid
Top 1%                    Over $480,804               19.7%                                37.2%
Top 5%                    Over $197,651               35.2%                                58.2%
Top 10%                    Over $139,713               46.6%                                69.5%
Top 25%                    Over $80,921               68.4%                                86.0%
Top 50%                    Over $40,078               88.4%                                97.0%
Bottom 50%            Below $40,078               11.6%                                  3.0%
Source: Internal Revenue Service data

oklahomamick

This is not going to be a popular opinion....But

Remove multi-million athletic programs from higher learning institutions.  NCAAF and NCAA hoops have become minor leagues and farm systems.  Why are they attached to higher education?  We are the only country in the world that does this. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

It's SCOTT DREW, not SCOT DREW!!!!!  Stop with the misspelled names!!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on March 13, 2019, 10:41:37 AM

$cott Drew.      got it!

bbtds

Temper, temper. If the moderator cares then he will fix it. Not your job.

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 13, 2019, 10:36:11 AM
This is not going to be a popular opinion....But

Remove multi-million athletic programs from higher learning institutions.  NCAAF and NCAA hoops have become minor leagues and farm systems.  Why are they attached to higher education?  We are the only country in the world that does this. 

Very true. The best football/soccer teams in the world have academies that start with youth at the age of 7, sometimes even younger, and try to develop them into national team footballers. They educate them, give them training facilities, travel, meals, etc. It was interesting when I followed Jesse Lingard of Manchester United from the age of 13. He started at the age of 7 for the Man U academy.

https://www.manutd.com/en/players-and-staff/detail/jesse-lingard

Jesse Lingard had to wait for his chance to make a first-team impression at the club he's been at since the age of seven but, boy, has his patience paid off.

How did you balance your school and your football?
"Quite well. Back then it was Tuesdays and Thursdays we used to train, so after school we'd go home, get changed, have a bit of food and then go straight down the motorway to Manchester. I was very patient and obviously United told me to be patient. I listened to the words of the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson. He always said I was a late developer, so 'be patient and your time will come'."

He now plays for the England National team.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on March 22, 2019, 02:31:50 PM

Temper, temper. If the moderator cares then he will fix it. Not your job.

Actually the originator of the string has merely to change the subject line by modifying their initial post subject line and I believe all following titles will be changed.