• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-á-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 30, 2017, 11:10:45 AM
First thought on this is no thanks, MVC without Wichita is dying. But it seems more and more every year the Horizon is bleeding players to transfer, coaches to bigger jobs (Brennen(sp?) already being talked about). I know part of this is the life of a mid major but it seems to be escalating more here. If MVC brings in us and Belmont, keeps ISU from leaving we could see a really good and competitive mid major conference form.

"Help us, Atlantic 10, you're our only hope."

The MVC isn't "dying" but it is a shell of itself just a few few years ago. I get what you mean though.

The Horizon League may have close the gap competitively to the MVC but its still imo probably a more consistently competitive league to what the Horizon League will be in the future. Almost just as importantly is that the MVC makes more $ then the HL and also gets its games on regional sports networks more frequently then the Horizon League.

The Pipe-dream scenario would be forming a new conference but that most likely won't happen. I wish we could get a bid to the A10 but that conference is already pretty bloated and I don't see us getting a bid. I keep asking myself why SLU is in the conference... they are no where near those other schools.

I think the only way ISU leaves the MVC is to possibly join the MAC to try and make that jump to FBS football. It's not secret they want to go FBS. They'd essentially be screwing their BBall program to try and elevate the football team. But seems pretty much par for the course for schools these days.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on March 30, 2017, 11:21:31 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 30, 2017, 11:10:45 AM
First thought on this is no thanks, MVC without Wichita is dying. But it seems more and more every year the Horizon is bleeding players to transfer, coaches to bigger jobs (Brennen(sp?) already being talked about). I know part of this is the life of a mid major but it seems to be escalating more here. If MVC brings in us and Belmont, keeps ISU from leaving we could see a really good and competitive mid major conference form.

"Help us, Atlantic 10, you're our only hope."

The MVC isn't "dying" but it is a shell of itself just a few few years ago. I get what you mean though.

The Horizon League may have close the gap competitively to the MVC but its still imo probably a more consistently competitive league to what the Horizon League will be in the future. Almost just as importantly is that the MVC makes more $ then the HL and also gets its games on regional sports networks more frequently then the Horizon League.

The Pipe-dream scenario would be forming a new conference but that most likely won't happen. I wish we could get a bid to the A10 but that conference is already pretty bloated and I don't see us getting a bid. I keep asking myself why SLU is in the conference... they are no where near those other schools.

I think the only way ISU leaves the MVC is to possibly join the MAC to try and make that jump to FBS football. It's not secret they want to go FBS. They'd essentially be screwing their BBall program to try and elevate the football team. But seems pretty much par for the course for schools these days.

Ask Creighton or even Butler why in the world they would be part of the Big East.  Easy answer.  Has nothing to do with the good of the student athlete.  It is about exposure and money.  I would love to be part of the A10.  The academic makeup is so much better than the Horizon  and if we were part of their conference it would more than likely be a three bid league.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

Quote from: VU2014 on March 30, 2017, 08:49:23 AM
Anyone else seeing the rumors that Missouri State is strongly considering making the move to the Sun Belt Conference to reduce travel cost after this Wichita State move to the AAC. Been reading it on some message boards.

Some of the schools in the MVC are really not happy with the direction of the conference after the Creighton/WSU moves.

I'd wager that Missouri State would make a move to the Sun Belt (if offered) to gain FBS football status, not necessarily because of travel considerations.

oklahomamick

I bet the MVC with Belmont and Valpo would be appealing to SLU.  I understand they are in the better A10 conference, but viewing it from SLU's eyes they will reduce travel budget for all sports and might win ARCH Madness.  They have better chance being successful in MVC than the A10. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 30, 2017, 12:14:00 PM
I bet the MVC with Belmont and Valpo would be appealing to SLU.  I understand they are in the better A10 conference, but viewing it from SLU's eyes they will reduce travel budget for all sports and might win ARCH Madness.  They have better chance being successful in MVC than the A10. 

SLU has said in the past that they want less travel but that school (fans/AD/President) has a massive ego and they are willing to pay big travel costs to be in better A10 and have done for over a decade now. They want to be in the Big East and everyone knows it. They may get that invite in future (probably not the near future).

I just see the downside for SLU moving to the MVC unless you get more really good contending teams to come along with them to the MVC. SLU wants to be in a multi-bid league and SLU would not just move to the MVC by itself.

VU2014

"A great university needs to be nationally recognized in at least one sport" - O.P. Kretzmann

Great article on how Gonzaga was really helped by the basketball program. Wish our President and Board go the extra mile in investing in the team (not that the program isn't already very well supported by Mid-Major standards).

I also am sort of a skeptic though about dumping millions into athletics departments, particularly D1 football programs. It's mind boggling how much $ goes towards big time college football and many of the schools don't see a return on investment. It brings intangible value to schools by way of reputation and prestige of being a sports school but for many higher education institutions it just isn't logical. For smaller private school it is much more logical to focus resources on a Men's Basketball program where you can get the "prestige" factor. My buddy who went to Butler said Butlers applications skyrocketed after they went to the NCAA Finals those back to back years. It was great Pub for the University and also caused way more donations to the University from Alumni.     

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 30, 2017, 12:49:12 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/119205/how-the-basketball-program-helped-gonzaga-university-flourish

VULB#62

Check out the "Sports Talk" thread and the "ESPN Article on Gonzaga" topic.  There are already 8 replies to this topic but the topic just focuses on this article.

BTW there are a number of MVC BB members that do not even play football and Drake is in the PFL.  No concerns about having to upgrade FB.  We would stay in the PFL.

NativeCheesehead

"A great university needs to be nationally recognized in at least one sport" - O.P. Kretzmann

"Ahem. Is not our bowling team ranked?" - Mark Heckler

VU2014

https://twitter.com/si_ncaabb/status/847639244545732611

Sources: Wichita State in talks to join AAC as soon as 2017-18

PHOENIX – The American Athletic Conference is engaged in talks to add Wichita State, according to multiple sources. The conversations have advanced to where a timeline for potential membership has emerged, including the possibility of Wichita State playing in the AAC as soon as next season.

There's strong mutual interest between both sides, and sources said that a final decision could be made within the next month or in as few as the next two weeks. Any decision would need to be approved by the American Athletic Conference's presidents, but the mutual interest is strong enough where neither side sees any looming issues.

The biggest lingering detail remains when Wichita State would leave the Missouri Valley Conference to begin play in the AAC. Sources said there's a strong chance that the Shockers could play in the AAC in the 2017-18 season, as both sides would prefer Wichita State avoiding playing a lame duck year in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Valley officials are prepared for the move, as one told Sports Illustrated on Thursday night: "We understand that this is in the works and that it's a strong possibility."

Wichita State would join the American as a non-football member. The league is currently an 11-member basketball conference, giving Wichita State a natural spot as the 12th team. The Shockers would join in other non-football sports as well, including the school's perennially strong baseball program.

The potential move appears mutually beneficial on paper. For Wichita State, it helps bolster their strength of schedule and national profile. For the AAC, it injects another program that's immediately competitive nationally to increase its national competitiveness.

Two weeks ago, Missouri Valley Commissioner Doug Elgin expressed his worry over a potential move to Sports Illustrated: "It wouldn't be a genuine response if I said we weren't concerned," Elgin said prior to the start of the NCAA tournament. "We want them to stay. Losing Creighton was a blow to the league. Losing Wichita State would be the same."

https://twitter.com/Matt_Fox10/status/847341548685541376

valpotx

If we were offered a spot in the MVC, we shoot take it in a heartbeat.  I like being in a conference that has more than one other private school.  We have Detroit in the HL, but they really aren't similar in regards to academic profile, like an Evansville, Drake, Loyola, or Bradley would be for us.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Tx - I completely agree about going to the MVC, but please clarify your statement to Detroit's academic profile. Detroit has some excellent programs if I am not mistaken.

elephtheria47

The MVC may generate more money and exposure now, however, that would all change significantly when the conference gets shook up. Long term? Still likely it would over the HL but the league seems to be unstable lately.

The MVC was a one bid league this year. Is that the new normal? If you have to win the league to get to the NCAAT, is it better to stay in the horizon? (Think gonzaga style)

Is there money to make the move? I believe Butler had to forfeit their NCAAT win shares when they switched, which is paid out over 6 seasons. Thats a lot of money to initially forfeit along with increased travel for all sports(although could be offset if the new league has multiple teams in NCAAT or makes a run)

usc4valpo

What revenue has Valpo made recently on the tournament and tournament wins?  Valpo needs to think this through and fast. This may also benefit the overall athletic and campus culture at Valpo - bringing the rivalry back with Evansville and Indiana State sounds enticing.

NativeCheesehead

I think you make the move. I've said above i'm not sure the MVC is that much better than Horizon witout WSU, but I think the much outlined lack of confidence in Horizon leadership makes this a no brainer. I would love the A-10, but that call isn't coming. Arch Madness anyone?

usc4valpo

If details like these are critical to a possible conference move, then stick with the Horizon conference. If you want to grow, and if it in the university charter to grow and get better, then the MVC enables this.  Thousands in tournament revenue and traveling insignificantly longer distances is pocket change compared to the big picture.

Take a chance to be better!

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 31, 2017, 06:13:11 AM
Tx - I completely agree about going to the MVC, but please clarify your statement to Detroit's academic profile. Detroit has some excellent programs if I am not mistaken.

Valpo, Drake, Bradley, Evansville and Northern Iowa all rank higher than Detroit in the US NEWS rankings.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Rogobob77

Detroit Mercy is in the top quartile of the Midwest in USN&WR, not bad when you consider they take a lot of kids from some pretty challenged high school systems. #24 ranking is not materially different than #20 Northern Iowa.

wh

Kolpack: Key departures closing the gap between Summit and Valley

The word out there is the Valley will consider adding Belmont in Nashville, Tenn., Valparaiso and Texas-Arlington. That doesn't exactly look sexy on the top line of a league website.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4240837-kolpack-key-departures-closing-gap-between-summit-and-valley

valpotx

I don't care as much about the multi-bid, as I do in competing against schools with a similar profile to Valpo.  I don't get geared up to play Cleveland State, Youngstown State, Wright State, etc.  For some reason, I just like the idea of competing against other private schools on a more consistent basis.  I think that we will have more rivalries in the MVC, versus what we have in the HL with only Oakland.  We had a fling with Detroit, but that died down quickly.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

If the MVC invites, Valpo should accept. The conference is a step up even without Wichita St. The MVC is wealthier than the Horizon League. As has been mentioned, many of the schools more closely align with Valparaiso as private universities ranked high academically. Arch Madness easily tops Motor City Madness, and I personally prefer St. Louis to Detroit, especially in March when St.Louis normally would be significantly warmer and without snow. An invitation to the MVC would be accompanied by expectations of facilities upgrades that VU would have to make sooner than now planned. Recruiting should be enhanced. Valpo football can remain in the Pioneer League. Finally, there is no love lost between Valparaiso and the Horizon League.  ;)

Now, if I were the MVC, I'd try hard to replace Wichita St. with three schools instead of one. I'd do my best to get Valparaiso, Belmont, and ideally St. Louis, who should be intrigued by less travel and the idea of hosting the tournament. If not, perhaps Murray St. or a top tier team from the Horizon League or Summit League. Then split the MVC into two six-team divisions to accommodate travel even more and create a pair of fights for first place during the regular season to add even more excitement.

Perhaps we will see a preview of Valpo in the MVC environment when the baseball team plays Wichita St. this weekend while they are still MVC members.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on March 31, 2017, 10:12:22 AM

Kolpack: Key departures closing the gap between Summit and Valley

The word out there is the Valley will consider adding Belmont in Nashville, Tenn., Valparaiso and Texas-Arlington. That doesn't exactly look sexy on the top line of a league website.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4240837-kolpack-key-departures-closing-gap-between-summit-and-valley

I'm not sure Belmont is going to leave the OVC (even though it may be the best LT move). They have already turned down the MVC in the recent past. They were offered the join the conference before Loyola got the invite.

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 31, 2017, 06:45:52 AM
The MVC may generate more money and exposure now, however, that would all change significantly when the conference gets shook up. Long term? Still likely it would over the HL but the league seems to be unstable lately.

The MVC was a one bid league this year. Is that the new normal? If you have to win the league to get to the NCAAT, is it better to stay in the horizon? (Think gonzaga style)

Is there money to make the move? I believe Butler had to forfeit their NCAAT win shares when they switched, which is paid out over 6 seasons. Thats a lot of money to initially forfeit along with increased travel for all sports(although could be offset if the new league has multiple teams in NCAAT or makes a run)

Yes there is more $ and exposure in the MVC and it really isn't comparable. The MVC also has better overall athletics when you include other sports.

We are not a position to pull the Gonzaga type school in the Horizon. Gonzaga's massive budget and administrative backing allows them to consistently dominate their conference. We just are not in a position to pull that role in the Horizon League. Belmont is also trying to pull that "dominate" a bad conference model in the OVC and it backfired on them this season.

In the current climate of Conference shifting Teams need to go to where they think the Conference will be the consistently (Key word: consistently) competitive and not experience down years. The MVC going to be a "one-bid" league most years now but will have an outside chance of being "2-bid" in great years.

Everyone needs to realize there is no "safe" move or "obvious" move up to a "2-bid" league (unless its to the A10). The MVC offers more for Valpo the Horizon League does even if its not the "obvious"  move up to a 2-bid league. The deck is stacked against mid-majors these days and we have to best position ourselves.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on March 31, 2017, 10:16:22 AM
I don't care as much about the multi-bid, as I do in competing against schools with a similar profile to Valpo.  I don't get geared up to play Cleveland State, Youngstown State, Wright State, etc.  For some reason, I just like the idea of competing against other private schools on a more consistent basis.  I think that we will have more rivalries in the MVC, versus what we have in the HL with only Oakland.  We had a fling with Detroit, but that died down quickly.

Oakland has to be high on the MVC list too.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 31, 2017, 10:37:07 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 31, 2017, 10:16:22 AM

I haven't seen any public connection/speculation to Oakland yet. OU has seen recent basketball success but not really a history.

oklahomamick

Quote from: VU2014 on March 31, 2017, 10:40:23 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 31, 2017, 10:37:07 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 31, 2017, 10:16:22 AMI don't care as much about the multi-bid, as I do in competing against schools with a similar profile to Valpo.  I don't get geared up to play Cleveland State, Youngstown State, Wright State, etc.  For some reason, I just like the idea of competing against other private schools on a more consistent basis.  I think that we will have more rivalries in the MVC, versus what we have in the HL with only Oakland.  We had a fling with Detroit, but that died down quickly.
I haven't seen any public connection/speculation to Oakland yet. OU has seen recent basketball success but not really a history.

I question the success......I don't think they have finished in the top 100 rpi in the last 10 years.  If so, maybe once or twice. 

Detroit location is not in the footprint of MVC. 

Oakland loves the HL.  They have one foot in LeCrones office and enjoy the tournament being held in their backyard.  I bet Oakland AD would prefer the HL over the MVC. 
CRUSADERS!!!