• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-á-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

bbtds

Two things I'd like to know about before making a move to the MVC.

Will the Valpo board actually make a committment to funding the Valpo athletic dept needed for competing at the top level of the MVC?

What plans does the HL have if any for HL expansion for 2013-14 and beyond?

usc4valpo

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 03, 2013, 10:49:37 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on April 03, 2013, 10:05:11 AM
Quote from: vu72 on April 02, 2013, 09:36:56 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 02, 2013, 08:32:10 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 02, 2013, 06:00:15 PMWhat would your dad say? 'in making a decision this big, it's best to make lists of the pros & cons:' please add/subtract improve Pros 1) Better (top 10) conference for MBB competition 2) Bryce would probably be more likely to stay (á la Stevens @ TSDS) 3) Increased attendance both home and away Cons 1) Costs a lot of money. (exit fee; losing Butler FF $$$$; increased travel budget) 2) Best for MBB, probably, but what about non-revenue sports? 3) Having to start over creating rivalries in most cases 4) Trading cities like Chicago/Detroit/Milwaukee/Cleveland for towns like Peoria/Wichita/Waterloo/Normal (yeesh.) Basically a wash 1) The public/private makeup of both conferences; the size disparities 2) Maybe the conferences end up pretty much same anyway--the #9 MVC, minus Creighton and possibly WSU, vs. the #12 HL?
Pro 4) Increased potential for quicker facility upgrades. Con 5) Potential conference split if MVC FCS schools move to FBS football. Wash 3) Geography/Travel.
This, I don't understand at all. The Missouri Valley football conference is completely different than the Missouri Valley in everything else. Drake, for example, plays in the Pioneer, as does Valpo. I don't see football, versus other sports as any issue in this discussion.
I would hope that football should have no factor in making this decision. Drake is in this conference and they will never go big time. Same goes for Indiana State and Illinois State.
I was not specifically alluding to Drake in that concern. The concern rests with the scholarship FCS programs. We're simply discussing potential pros and cons. The worry about having more than one FCS football playing school move to FBS does not exist in the HL. How do you know those schools won't go to big time football? Maybe they won't now, but what about 5 or 10 years from now? Given that the Big Ten has already stated that they will no longer schedule FCS schools and schools like Appy St. and GA Southern have made the move up, you have to at least take potential movement into consideration, IMO.
Indiana State and Illinois State have small stadiums and I am sure they are not thinking about expanding and going big time FBS.  As for Drake, there is no way, they are in the same mode as Valpo, providing football as a feature in their overall portfolio.  Also, the MVC does NOT have a football conference, as Indiana State, Illinois State and Northern Iowa play in the Gateway conference.  Regarding football that is way above Valpo's league (actually so is the Pioneer if you think about it).

wh

Quote from: bbtds on April 03, 2013, 07:39:00 PM
Two things I'd like to know about before making a move to the MVC.

Will the Valpo board actually make a committment to funding the Valpo athletic dept needed for competing at the top level of the MVC?

What plans does the HL have if any for HL expansion for 2013-14 and beyond?

I hereby make a $10 pledge to get us started!  ;)

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 03, 2013, 09:14:52 PM
Indiana State and Illinois State have small stadiums and I am sure they are not thinking about expanding and going big time FBS.  As for Drake, there is no way, they are in the same mode as Valpo, providing football as a feature in their overall portfolio.  Also, the MVC does NOT have a football conference, as Indiana State, Illinois State and Northern Iowa play in the Gateway conference.  Regarding football that is way above Valpo's league (actually so is the Pioneer if you think about it).

Not quite accurate.  They play in the separate Missouri Valley Football Conference (MVFC) that includes the scholarship FCS schools in the MVC plus North Dakota State (Summit in everything else), USD (Summit in everything else), SDSU (Summit in everything else), Youngstown State (HL in everything else), and Western Illinois (Summit in everything else).

hckjag

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 03, 2013, 09:14:52 PMIndiana State and Illinois State have small stadiums and I am sure they are not thinking about expanding and going big time FBS.  As for Drake, there is no way, they are in the same mode as Valpo, providing football as a feature in their overall portfolio.  Also, the MVC does NOT have a football conference, as Indiana State, Illinois State and Northern Iowa play in the Gateway conference.  Regarding football that is way above Valpo's league (actually so is the Pioneer if you think about it).

Was just at ISU a few weeks ago and they are currently making major upgrade to their football stadium. Visitor bleachers used to be worse than Valpo's but will now be the staple of the stadium with press box, suites, and concessions. ISU has shown investment in their sports teams (with their football stadium and Redbird arena) however I don't too anxious to move up a level in any of their sports. They seem to fit in well within the community. I'm not too familiar with the MVFC but I don't feel like football is the sport everyone cares about at ISU unlike Youngstown St.

Artist Rendition of Hancock Stadium Flythrough

usc4valpo

Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2013, 06:05:24 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on April 03, 2013, 05:05:06 PMEven if Valpo joins the MVC, there will be nothing preventing Valpo from holding their student athletes to a high standard in academics. Just because the MVC doesn't seem to hold their students to as high of standards as the Horizon, there is no reason why Valpo still can't hold their student athletes to high academic standards.
You are correct. What I fear is those who don't see athletics as a means to further Valpo's enrollment goal will use this as a reason not to up our conference affiliation.
What?  There are some good schools in the MVC adademically.  Drake and Bradley maintain high academic standards for their student athletes.  Regarding academics, they are in the pretty much in line with the HL.

classof2014

Apparently yesterday Bryce Drew was coaching LaVonte on some of his shooting. I know that there isn't anything unusual about that but what was unusual Bryce was in a suit! Wonder who he was trying to impress???

wh

IF (and I know it's a big if) the HL were still able to add say Oakland, Murray State and Belmont as we have discussed previously, I would much prefer to stay in the HL.  On paper the HL with that composition would leapfrog the MVC absent Creighton and immediately gain a new level of respect.  More, there wouldn't be any reason for anyone to want to jump ship in the future, which could stabilize things for the HL and let the turbulent sea of seemingly never ending change play out somewhere else.  If I can see this as a fan, I still have some small glimmer of hope that The HL Commissioner's has been and still is working toward that end.  Maybe just maybe, he hasn't fumbled the ball as I accused him of earlier.  Maybe this is all going to work out.  Maybe just maybe...

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on April 04, 2013, 09:10:18 AM
Apparently yesterday Bryce Drew was coaching LaVonte on some of his shooting. I know that there isn't anything unusual about that but what was unusual Bryce was in a suit! Wonder who he was trying to impress???

Meanwhile, Larry Eustachy was teaching his Colorado State boys how to shoot while wearing his T.G.I. Fridays uniform. They all went out and got hammered afterwards.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on April 04, 2013, 09:26:14 AMMeanwhile, Larry Eustachy was teaching his Colorado State boys how to shoot while wearing his T.G.I. Fridays uniform. They all went out and got hammered afterwards.

Probably the funniest post on this board.  Thank you.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

well :censored: is (finally) getting real.

for those of you who gave up twitter for Easter, Jimmy the Panther is saying UIC to MVC and some other HL dude saying Oakland to HL.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

I'm not sure of his sources, but if PantherU is correct and UIC will be moving to the MVC with two other schools for a total of 12, I see Valpo a logical choice to accompany UIC. I can't see the MVC selecting two Chicago teams competing with one another for attention; therefore, that would take Loyola out. In addition, Valparaiso is a better basketball program and could provide a travel partner for UIC.

classof2014

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 04, 2013, 12:13:21 PM
https://twitter.com/PantherU/status/319842954837647360

If this is true wouldn't be surprised to see Loyola, UIC, and Valpo to go then. Make the conference up to 12 and get the Chicago market involved.

LaPorteAveApostle

Eh...anyone consider that maybe the HL wanted UIC to go?

Look, they've been to the NCAA all of three times, none since GWB's first term.  Never won a game.

Great facilities, sure, but their athletic budget and basketball budget are smaller than ours.

They don't really have anyone left (no more Talton, Barnes, Crittle) but Humes.  They've averaged 10 wins the last four years.  Their 6-year rolling RPI is 226!

IT'S AN INSIDE JOB PEOPLE.  NOW IF WE COULD JUST PAWN MILWAUKEE OFF ON THEM TOO

RS

I really would be surprised if VU goes to the MVC. Still think our facilities would be a stumbling block. My concern will always be the Horizon League keeping automatic bids open to all sports. UIC would be another loss for baseball. Still not crazy about the extra traveling that would be needed. Horizon League Commish had better start being PRO-ACTIVE. Perhaps a 12 team MVC would be ok if it was separated into divisions. Just now need to wait and see what is officially announced.

valpopal

Just heard from a usually reliable source that PantherU is correct, UIC moving to the MVC is all but announced, perhaps waiting for the confirmation of additional teams (perhaps Valpo). A rumor on the Wright State board also says that Oakland, UMKC, and Denver might be headed to the HL. My source says Oakland is in the HL, but would only add that those other two teams are being considered seriously by the HL.

milldew72

Quote from: valpopal on April 04, 2013, 01:09:52 PM
Just heard from a usually reliable source that PantherU is correct, UIC moving to the MVC is all but announced, perhaps waiting for the confirmation of additional teams (perhaps Valpo). A rumor on the Wright State board also says that Oakland, UMKC, and Denver might be headed to the HL. My source says Oakland is in the HL, but would only add that those other two teams are being considered seriously by the HL.
I can live with Oakland, but if UMKC and Denver are inbound, I'd jump at a chance to join the Valley.
If the Valley is courting UIC and NOT Valpo, though, that's sketch.

valpopal

Quote from: classof2014 on April 04, 2013, 12:42:09 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on April 04, 2013, 12:13:21 PM
https://twitter.com/PantherU/status/319842954837647360

If this is true wouldn't be surprised to see Loyola, UIC, and Valpo to go then. Make the conference up to 12 and get the Chicago market involved.

I would be happy with that and I believe so would the Valpo athletics folks.

wh

All but announced?  The AD doesn't make the decision to switch athletic conferences, not even the president does.  Only the governing board of the university would have that authority.  I suppose the MVC could be on the verge of announcing that they are going to invite them, but even then I doubt that would be an overnight decision. It sounds to me like low level people in the athletic dept talking to low level buds outside the dept.  That said, frankly I don't care whether they stay or go.

vu72

Quote from: milldew72 on April 04, 2013, 01:50:58 PM
I can live with Oakland, but if UMKC and Denver are inbound, I'd jump at a chance to join the Valley.
If the Valley is courting UIC and NOT Valpo, though, that's sketch.

Denver is a very high class private university with great resources and recent basketball success.  Not sure they would be a fit geographically but I wouldbe happy otherwise to have them in the HL.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

Quote from: RS on April 04, 2013, 01:00:31 PM
I really would be surprised if VU goes to the MVC. Still think our facilities would be a stumbling block. My concern will always be the Horizon League keeping automatic bids open to all sports. UIC would be another loss for baseball. Still not crazy about the extra traveling that would be needed. Horizon League Commish had better start being PRO-ACTIVE. Perhaps a 12 team MVC would be ok if it was separated into divisions. Just now need to wait and see what is officially announced.

Candidly, I would be surprised as well.  Facilities are Valpo's Achilles heel, IMO.  But I think a move to 12 by the MVC helps VU tremendously.  That not withstanding, if we take everything that has been said as true, let's look at things, particularly the number 11.

--UIC to MVC.  MVC at 10.  HL at 8.

--OU to HL.  MVC at 10.  HL at 9, except UMKC and Denver are being mentioned as strong possibilities as well. 

Why the need to get to 11 right now by the HL?  This would be inconsistent with earlier reports indicating an outright move to 12. And a three school move now when it was mentioned at the tournament that the HL would expand in two years?  If the conference has to expand, you would think that the HL would either expand to 9 to remain at status quo or move to 10, but not 11.  Right? 

IMO, either the HL is moving to 11 because the MVC is moving to 12, or the HL is moving to 11 because the MVC is staying at 10 and someone else is leaving the HL. I could be way off as this is just fun conference reshuffling speculation.  It will be very interesting to see what happens.

a3uge

UIC to the MVC all but a done deal?

April Fools?

wh

Quote from: a3uge on April 04, 2013, 02:36:19 PM
UIC to the MVC all but a done deal?

April Fools?

I think we all know that UIC would not be the one and only addition to the MVC.  Picture their commissioner rolling that out for the university presidents.  "Well gentlemen, after a long exhaustive search, we have finally come up with the perfect replacement for our recently departed top athletic program, Creighton University.  I give you UIC."  That might be the shortest meeting in the history of athletic conferences.