• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

bbtds

You, who put down the MVC, know this is what Valpo needed.

Men's basketball attendance

2012โ€“2013 Average Men's Basketball Conference Attendance

Wichita State   10,398
Bradley   7,595
Illinois State   7,260
Missouri State   6,372
Indiana State   6,149
Southern Illinois   5,137
Evansville   5,025
Northern Iowa   4,814
Drake   4,488

The Valley is well known for having some of the most dedicated fanbases in all of college basketball, with several members regularly selling out their large arenas on a nightly basis throughout the year. One member (Wichita State) sold out every single game for the 2006โ€“07 season.
In 2010โ€“11, the Valley maintained its position as the eighth ranked conference in average attendance.[13]
The Valley made history in March 2007 with record attendance for four days at St. Louis' Scottrade Center as 85,074 fans turned out to watch the five sessions of the tournament. The two sellout crowds of 22,612 for the semifinals and final of the 2007 State Farm Tournament set an all-time attendance record for basketball at the arena and also gave The Valley the distinction of having the largest championship crowd for any of the 30 NCAA conference tournaments in 2007.[14]

You also know why Valpo has blown this opportunity. It is making promises instead of actually building what it needed to build. The ring around the football field symbolizes everything that went wrong for Valpo. I suggest that students start running around the football field and pretend there is a track there and pretend they are playing in the MVC.

The biggest disappointment is that the dedication of Bryce Drew and Homer Drew toward Valpo could have brought Valpo into a conference that excels at the sport that Valpo excels at, has been wasted.  A move to the MVC would have brought Valpo the enrollment numbers the board and president wanted much sooner. But that is not the way this board and president wanted to get those numbers. It's a sad truth. We even heard those same promises from one of our own who is affiliated with the athletic department. Well, the MVC people who don't make those promises and actually put people in seats and help their universities excel in other areas didn't believe those promises and yes, it truly hurts. A real missed opportunity.   

valpotx

I wouldn't blame our current President at all.  It would be on the previous administration in my view.  How long has Heckler been at VU now, 6-7 years?  He has done great so far, and I only see it getting better.  We lost many years of possible athletic growth under Harre/Steinbrecher, as they did not see the academic value in having a strong national profile in athletics...
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

I hope everyone appreciates the general principle that you can't build what you can't afford to build.  I have no idea how that applies to VU's situation, but one of the ways in which the playing field is not level in NCAA Division I athletics is that some can afford to build new stadiums/facilities/etc. seemingly at the drop of the hat while others have to spend years hoping to acquire the funds for it.

I find the Darwinism of college athletics very depressing.  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and you are applauded/jeered more based on how much money you have to spend than on your stewardship of what you do have to spend.

:(

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on April 15, 2013, 03:20:24 PM
I wouldn't blame our current President at all.  It would be on the previous administration in my view.  How long has Heckler been at VU now, 6-7 years?  He has done great so far, and I only see it getting better.  We lost many years of possible athletic growth under Harre/Steinbrecher, as they did not see the academic value in having a strong national profile in athletics...

Yes, but Harre didn't have the enrollment goal. What has Heckler (and more importantly the board of directors) actually done, in their last 6-7 years or whatever it is, to build anything significantly for athletics? They have only made promises.

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 15, 2013, 03:28:59 PM
I hope everyone appreciates the general principle that you can't build what you can't afford to build.  I have no idea how that applies to VU's situation, but one of the ways in which the playing field is not level in NCAA Division I athletics is that some can afford to build new stadiums/facilities/etc. seemingly at the drop of the hat while others have to spend years hoping to acquire the funds for it.

I find the Darwinism of college athletics very depressing.  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and you are applauded/jeered more based on how much money you have to spend than on your stewardship of what you do have to spend.

They have started a Welcome Center. They have started no new buildings for athletics. As was stated earlier, Loyola built for academics and other fields along with athletics. Valpo has built no new buildings for athletics. Those decisions were made by the board of directors and the president. The money was there and decisions were made for the money that was there.

Academic buildings: Harre Union, Christopher Library (call it what you want), Gellersen addition, Meteorology addition to Schnabel

Athletics: softball field-minimum needed to keep a softball team

There was money for this and decisions were made for that money. Opportunity was lost.

What buildings do you want to see when you find yourself on a university campus?

wh

You guys keep having a hard time with this because until now all these conference to conference moves have been merit based.  Anyone other than a blind Loyola loyalist knows that Loyola has done nothing to merit consideration for a move to the MVC (or anywhere else) based on athletic achievement.  This is all about location, and nothing more.  Loyola is simply the warm body that comes closest to "fitting the uniform" - in this case "the uniform" being access to the Chicago market by adding a private school in the area.  As I indicated earlier, this is a heck of a roll of the dice by their commissioner.  It will be interesting to see how it works out.       

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on April 15, 2013, 03:36:38 PM

They have started a Welcome Center. They have started no new buildings for athletics. As was stated earlier, Loyola built for academics and other fields along with athletics. Valpo has built no new buildings for athletics. Those decisions were made by the board of directors and the president. The money was there and decisions were made for the money that was there.
And for all we know, that money was spent appropriately.  Do you want non-athletic spending marginalized in favor of almighty sports?  Did they have enough money to do both?

I'm only asking these questions because there's a lot missing, analytically, from this discussion.  Not being a well-informed insider, and not living in the area, I can't really jump on board with the bashing the VU administration for not improving the ARC.  I have no idea how necessary the Welcome Center was, but I think *all* aspects of a university have a fair claim on resources for improvement.

vu72

Academic buildings: Harre Union, Christopher Library (call it what you want), Gellersen addition, Meteorology addition to Schnabel

There was money for this and decisions were made for that money. Opportunity was lost.

What buildings do you want to see when you find yourself on a university campus?

Some perspective please!  First President Heckler has not been here 6 or 7 years, he came in 2008. Second, the largest campaign in the history of Lutheranism in higher education ($238 million) was concluded in 2009. Since then we have built a new fitness center, the Heritage Hall project, the new Arts and Sciences building and the Welcome Center and the Engineering addition plus a major rehab of the Chapel.

Here's the biggest perspective part: Donor burnout.  Anybody in higher education will tell you that you can't run one major drive right on top of another.  We are now into the fourth year since the end of the 2009 campaign.  My guess is that the time is drawing near for another but it couldn't/wouldn't have worked anytime sooner. Now, remember that the stock market took its second biggest drop in history during 2008/2009 so people also haven't been too excited about giving money away.

We only have so many millionaires in the mix.  The Welcome Center was one donor.  The Chapel renovation was one donor who happened to be the largest donor on the Union as well.  Not sure, but these folks probably need a break or perhaps have no interest in athletics.  Don Fites gave the money for the Engineering building.  He is an engineering grad.  We need to match wealthy donors with athletics.  At an academically focused/religious school like Valpo, it just makes sense that academic giving would be a greater focus.

Now for the final perspective:  The idea that the administration has done nothing to enhance the athletic scene is very wrong and here's why: The acquisition of Porter Hospital.  This was completed in 2011.  It has taken time to finish the new hospital and now to remove bad stuff before it can be torn down.  Miller has been torn down which also needed to be done before the athletic complex can be built.  The ARC renovations can't be done until the Fieldhouse is done.  Where in the world would all the athletes and coaches go if the ARC was out of comission?

It's timing people, that's it.  The time for a major new drive is approaching--it's not here.  The hospital needs to be torn down--it hasn't happened yet.  It will all fall into place and soon.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

Quote from: wh on April 15, 2013, 03:40:57 PM
You guys keep having a hard time with this because until now all these conference to conference moves have been merit based.  Anyone other than a blind Loyola loyalist knows that Loyola has done nothing to merit consideration for a move to the MVC (or anywhere else) based on athletic achievement.  This is all about location, and nothing more.  Loyola is simply the warm body that comes closest to "fitting the uniform" - in this case "the uniform" being access to the Chicago market by adding a private school in the area.  As I indicated earlier, this is a heck of a roll of the dice by their commissioner.  It will be interesting to see how it works out.       

Hit the nail on the head with this one!!!

Commissioner Elgin wanted the Chicago market and Loyola fit the bill based on their demographics. Put Valpo on the Gold Coast of Chicago and I can guarantee that we would have been chosen for the MVC, it has nothing to do with the facilities. The ARC works just fine, yes it's old and dingy but we draw pretty well for our games, the fitness centers are old but have state-of-the-art equipment; the building might not look the prettiest but as long as the equipment is there, that's all that truly matters. We also had the winning tradition to boot, 3 straight 20+ win seasons, compared to Loyola's 20+ wins in three full seasons. Yes, I think it's dumb move on their behalf, getting a team that has only had 4 winning seasons in the last 25 years. If you move Loyola out to a fringe suburb, like Woodstock, IL which is similar size and distance from Chicago to Valpo, it would have probably been UIC instead. For Elgin it was all about the LOCATION, that's why he considered UMKC because it was in KC.

I think if the Horizon can get rid of a bottom feeder, like Loyola who has shown no signs of improvements, for a better team it was a good deal for Valpo. Yes, it sucks that Valpo probably isn't gonna go to the MVC, hopefully LeCrone can get Oakland to agree to come to the HL an and this will work out better on Valpo's behalf. Not the best-case-scenario for Valpo, so long they can get an Oaklandesque team or somehow go to the MVC this summer. So long as it is not the worst-case-scenario I will be content.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: wh on April 15, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Stop.  If football drives the big boy bus at the big boy conference table, what did Rutgers do recently to warrant entry into the Big 10?  What did Utah State or San Jose State do recently to warrant entry into the MWC?   What has Idaho done to warrant entry into the Sun Belt?  Would you call these upward conference changes by these schools as being athletically merited based moves?   I sure wouldn't.  Loyola is not the anomaly that you make them out to be.

And for the record, I'm not having a hard time with this at all.  Is it disappointing?  Sure.  But I knew it was going to take a miracle given our lousy facilities.  12 was the magic number for Valpo, not 10.  Maybe if we would have invested significant dollars in both academics/student facilities and athletics like Loyola did over the last one...no, I mean two...no, I mean three capital campaigns, the end result might have been different for VU.

Has FITT been abandoned yet?  If facilities were the cause for VU's non-entrance to the MVC, I would hope that FITT is scrapped in its entirety for something more workable.  Clearly that campaign didn't work to gain entry into the MVC.

StlVUFan

Thank you, vu72.

Finally, a comprehensive picture of what is going on.  I invite those who disagree with that picture to respond in kind.  This is the kind of thing that helps people like me figure out how I feel about what is going on.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on April 15, 2013, 04:51:13 PM

Some perspective please!  First President Heckler has not been here 6 or 7 years, he came in 2008. Second, the largest campaign in the history of Lutheranism in higher education ($238 million) was concluded in 2009. Since then we have built a new fitness center, the Heritage Hall project, the new Arts and Sciences building and the Welcome Center and the Engineering addition plus a major rehab of the Chapel.

Here's the biggest perspective part: Donor burnout.  Anybody in higher education will tell you that you can't run one major drive right on top of another.  We are now into the fourth year since the end of the 2009 campaign.  My guess is that the time is drawing near for another but it couldn't/wouldn't have worked anytime sooner. Now, remember that the stock market took its second biggest drop in history during 2008/2009 so people also haven't been too excited about giving money away.

We only have so many millionaires in the mix.  The Welcome Center was one donor.  The Chapel renovation was one donor who happened to be the largest donor on the Union as well.  Not sure, but these folks probably need a break or perhaps have no interest in athletics.  Don Fites gave the money for the Engineering building.  He is an engineering grad.  We need to match wealthy donors with athletics.  At an academically focused/religious school like Valpo, it just makes sense that academic giving would be a greater focus.

Now for the final perspective:  The idea that the administration has done nothing to enhance the athletic scene is very wrong and here's why: The acquisition of Porter Hospital.  This was completed in 2011.  It has taken time to finish the new hospital and now to remove bad stuff before it can be torn down.  Miller has been torn down which also needed to be done before the athletic complex can be built.  The ARC renovations can't be done until the Fieldhouse is done.  Where in the world would all the athletes and coaches go if the ARC was out of comission?

It's timing people, that's it.  The time for a major new drive is approaching--it's not here.  The hospital needs to be torn down--it hasn't happened yet.  It will all fall into place and soon.

Again these are ideas and promises that, as stated previously, have not been financed at all. There is another athletics project in the same boat, the track. The board could have pushed the money more to athletics but decided against it. It is what it is. The major donors for Valpo are not athletically inclined. Only Schrage financed anything for athletics and that was only enough for a basketball wing.

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on April 14, 2013, 06:13:53 PMWe have all been ready to move on for more than a year, ever since Butler left, but it is the league office that hasn't made a move. Therefore, I think it is laughable to suggest we should not "push the Horizon League to quickly act to replace Loyola...." The same advice was offered a year ago about replacing Butler, and thus far we can see little as a result of waiting.

WITH WHAT SCHOOL?? So last year if we pushed to replace Butler with Oakland, Loyola would be thinking twice about this? That's just absurd. There were reports that the HL was targeting Murray State and Belmont. Both aren't budging. Both aren't even interested in the MVC. Sorry I'm beating this dead horse, but it's just ridiculous everyone is attacking the Horizon League for their inaction, but never explain what the desired action should be. Why would they rush to add Oakland if they were targeting Belmont/Murray State or even Evansville to get back to 10 members? Is Oakland still available? Yes. Are they going anywhere else? No. Will any school departing/arriving in the Horizon base their decision based on Oakland being in the league? No way.

Remember, Oakland is like that mediocre looking girl that you can take to the prom because she's really into you. She has a date, but would immediately ditch him for your loving arms... but why not keep pushing for that hot girl in your biology class. Last year we were sitting at 9. I feel we were holding out hope for someone better looking, but now prom is coming up and soon we'll have to settle on good ol reliable.

If Loyola leaving is true, the Horizon could add Oakland to bring the league back to 9, or they can stay at 8 for another year (baseball won't be affected yet) and still try to get Murray State and Belmont. I don't think sitting at 8 would be all that unreasonable. Maybe if you add Oakland you could still end up with Belmont/Murray State. Please argue WHAT SCHOOL you want to replace Butler and, if it's Oakland that's going to bring you up to 9, why it's more important to have a 9 team league immediately, rather than holding out hope for a Murray State/Belmont combination to bring us to 10 (or an Oakland to keep it an even number). I'm not arguing one way or the other whether or not we should have 8 or 9 teams next year, but if you're going to criticize the league office for some action they haven't taken, at least explain what exactly they should have taken.

classof2014

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 15, 2013, 06:34:10 PM

Paul Oren spoke to LeCrone.  http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/lecrone-speaks-on-horizon-league-realignment/article_67823760-a5fe-11e2-ac32-0019bb2963f4.html  Borrowing a quote from Sergeant Schultz, LeCrone stated "I know noTHING!"

Agree with LeCrone.. I'll believe when it comes officially... Rumors can spread like wildfire and this still is just a RUMOR!!! Yes, it probably is true but let us not forget this is just a rumor...

Does anybody know the first source to break the news anyways? From what I've read most of the sources have pretty much said the same thing. I will wait till the MVC, Loyola, or the Horizon releases something on realignment before a 100% believe it.

historyman

It sounds like LeCrone is still holding out for a school besides or along with Oakland.  Or maybe a better school than Oakland with a baseball program. Loyola's leaving seems to have necessitated a move with the addition of at least 2 schools.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

Quote from: motowntitan on April 14, 2013, 07:29:19 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on April 14, 2013, 06:11:34 PM
Quote from: wh on April 14, 2013, 03:32:51 PMMy hands aren't wringing at all. At this same time next year, the 2 conferences will be essentially equals (especially if they take both UIC and Loyola) and Valpo will be in a position to thumb its nose at a future invitation. I look forward to the day.
I also don't see any difference between the MVC and the Horizon. As 78crusader pointed out, Loyola will now face travel to Wichita, etc., while Valpo will continue to manage their budget by having a league that allows bus travel. It hasn't been mentioned anywhere, but given all these facts, maybe Valpo wasn't snubbed ... maybe they told the MVC they weren't interested.
There is a big difference- Average Attendance. MVC= 7512; HL= 2893. My guess is that the MVC is estimating that the Chicago market will fill either UIC or Loyola arenas full of visiting (MVC) fans that live in Chicago. That being said (even as a guess), UIC makes more sense because The Pavilion holds @ 7k and only sold 46% of capacity this year. If this is the reason, then possible Loyola is finally willing to make a commitment to build a bigger arena. Side Note: If we lost Butler/Loyola and replace them with Oakland- then LeCrone should be fired, unless all of the Presidents are as clueless as him.
I truly hope Valpo did not pass if the MVC provided them an offer.  That would have been wimpy and growth restrictive.  I think Valpo's administration would be smarter than that.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on April 15, 2013, 02:47:28 PMI don't understand this at all! One of the articles acclaimed to Loyola's winning tradition??? 4 seasons with +.500 records since their last NCAA tourney bid all the way back in 1985!!!!! That is pathetic! One of the worst basketball programs in the country during that time span.

Maybe so, but I'm fairly certain that if we had ever won the national title we would still be bragging about it, even if it dated back to early Pleistocene. 

If you're only going to have 5 bids in your history, a national title plus two more sweet 16s is a winning tradition.  think how much mileage we've gotten out of our one.

I used to think there was a 10-year grace period for any coach winning a national title, and then Philip Fulmer.  (Then Gene Chizik!!! but that's another story).

So if the grace period for a school winning a national title were, say 50 years...[checks data]...whoops.  time expired. :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Quote from: classof2014 on April 15, 2013, 06:56:01 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on April 15, 2013, 06:34:10 PM

Paul Oren spoke to LeCrone.  http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/lecrone-speaks-on-horizon-league-realignment/article_67823760-a5fe-11e2-ac32-0019bb2963f4.html  Borrowing a quote from Sergeant Schultz, LeCrone stated "I know noTHING!"

Agree with LeCrone.. I'll believe when it comes officially... Rumors can spread like wildfire and this still is just a RUMOR!!! Yes, it probably is true but let us not forget this is just a rumor...

Does anybody know the first source to break the news anyways? From what I've read most of the sources have pretty much said the same thing. I will wait till the MVC, Loyola, or the Horizon releases something on realignment before a 100% believe it.

Pretty sure that if Indiana State's AD is saying it is so...that it is true
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 14, 2013, 06:11:34 PMIt hasn't been mentioned anywhere, but given all these facts, maybe Valpo wasn't snubbed ... maybe they told the MVC they weren't interested. 
We have no idea what all was viewed, paperwork exchanged, topics discussed, and numbers tossed about; at, during or after the MVC visit. The numbers to justify a jump to the MVC had to work and maybe those exit and entrance fees, the lost HL NCAA tournament units with their attached revenues, plus the projected additional travel expenses just added up to be way too much. Maybe the only answer we could give them was no or no under the terms offered. So maybe they left VU with the door still slightly cracked open? Might UIC have been trying to work a negotiated deal with the MVC when Loyola stepped up and accepted the Valleys original terms? Obviously somebody from UIC thought it was going to happen.

Perhaps the biggest deciding factor for Loyola was a deep pocketed donor on a first name basis with most of their key decision makers, who made a few phone calls saying that if the math concerning the jump was close he could sign another check. This is just speculation but who knows?

valpopal

Quote from: a3uge on April 15, 2013, 05:48:57 PM
Quote from: valpopal on April 14, 2013, 06:13:53 PMWe have all been ready to move on for more than a year, ever since Butler left, but it is the league office that hasn't made a move. Therefore, I think it is laughable to suggest we should not "push the Horizon League to quickly act to replace Loyola...." The same advice was offered a year ago about replacing Butler, and thus far we can see little as a result of waiting.

WITH WHAT SCHOOL?? So last year if we pushed to replace Butler with Oakland, Loyola would be thinking twice about this? That's just absurd. There were reports that the HL was targeting Murray State and Belmont. Both aren't budging. Both aren't even interested in the MVC. Sorry I'm beating this dead horse, but it's just ridiculous everyone is attacking the Horizon League for their inaction, but never explain what the desired action should be. Why would they rush to add Oakland if they were targeting Belmont/Murray State or even Evansville to get back to 10 members? Is Oakland still available? Yes. Are they going anywhere else? No. Will any school departing/arriving in the Horizon base their decision based on Oakland being in the league? No way.

Remember, Oakland is like that mediocre looking girl that you can take to the prom because she's really into you. She has a date, but would immediately ditch him for your loving arms... but why not keep pushing for that hot girl in your biology class. Last year we were sitting at 9. I feel we were holding out hope for someone better looking, but now prom is coming up and soon we'll have to settle on good ol reliable.

If Loyola leaving is true, the Horizon could add Oakland to bring the league back to 9, or they can stay at 8 for another year (baseball won't be affected yet) and still try to get Murray State and Belmont. I don't think sitting at 8 would be all that unreasonable. Maybe if you add Oakland you could still end up with Belmont/Murray State. Please argue WHAT SCHOOL you want to replace Butler and, if it's Oakland that's going to bring you up to 9, why it's more important to have a 9 team league immediately, rather than holding out hope for a Murray State/Belmont combination to bring us to 10 (or an Oakland to keep it an even number). I'm not arguing one way or the other whether or not we should have 8 or 9 teams next year, but if you're going to criticize the league office for some action they haven't taken, at least explain what exactly they should have taken.

It is not my job to identify schools for the Horizon League. That is what the folks in the league office are getting paid pretty good salaries to do. Give me their salaries and I will do their jobs. Every other conference with openings has been able to entice top teams from lower conferences. Every other league that has lost members has acted to replace those schools. In fact, they all were proactive, aggressive, and positive in comments to the media even before picking schools.  However, in the past year since Butler left there has been nothing public from the Horizon League.

In contrast, the Horizon League has given an impression of being reactive, passive, and timid, including in its reticence to speak to the press the past twelve months. Whether or not a team were added in the past (or if good teams are soon announced to replace Butler and Loyola), everyone knows it is detrimental to remain basically silent for a year while impressions of ineffectiveness and weakness build. These impressions are reflected in comments on the message boards of every team in the Horizon League.

Even now with high officials at Loyola and in the MVC openly acknowledging Loyola is leaving the HL, LeCrone acts surprised and appears indecisive in his interview with Paul Oren today. His attitude is not credible and hurts his standing. Anyone involved with public relations will advise that spokespersons get out in front of a story, offer reasons for others to have confidence, and give the appearance of directing events rather than being controlled by others. The Horizon League has violated all those guidelines.

I have complimented the Horizon League officials for their efforts in other areas, such as the online broadcasting of games and the management of the playoffs; however, in its actions since the loss of Butler and in announcements about possible realignment during the past year, they have been inept at public relations. 

wh

Missouri State's President, who was on the search committee, is saying that Loyola was an easy choice over us and others.

http://blogs.news-leader.com/msu/2013/04/15/smart-loyola-a-unanimous-choice-for-the-valley/

Sounds like Loyola blew us away.  Facilities definitely was a major factor in the decision.  It seems pretty apparent now that our lack of commitment to athletic facility improvement cost us any chance we might have had.   

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on April 15, 2013, 10:20:50 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 15, 2013, 05:48:57 PM

It is not my job to identify schools for the Horizon League. That is what the folks in the league office are getting paid pretty good salaries to do. Give me their salaries and I will do their jobs. Every other conference with openings has been able to entice top teams from lower conferences. Every other league that has lost members has acted to replace those schools. In fact, they all were proactive, aggressive, and positive in comments to the media even before picking schools.  However, in the past year since Butler left there has been nothing public from the Horizon League.

This is a disappointing response. You're assuming there's a dozen magical schools in the Midwest that are in crappy conferences but are ready for prince charming to sweep them off their feet if the commissioner does some public sweet talking. These schools don't exist. There's only 3 decent enough schools from lower conferences that fit geographically and would have a positive impact on the Horizon. There's not a school out there that has said "well, gosh, I wish the Horizon League commissioner would have spoken better in a quick chat with Paul Oren and rushed last year to add Oakland University, then I would have definitely joined the Horizon by now!" Saying Loyola wouldn't have left if Oakland / IPFW / IUPUI had quickly been added is absurd.

I'm glad we're not giving you a salary to identify replacement schools for the Horizon because you can't even throw out a single name on an Internet forum, let alone argue why they would make a decent replacement for Butler. I've even given you the names of the two most logical schools worth adding, and outside of 'have better public relations' I haven't heard a single idea of how exactly these schools are supposed to come on board to the Horizon when they are either 1. Declining the MVC or 2. Holding out for the MVC. The Horizon League does not have any leverage with these schools, and implying that some public statements make the difference in the situation is ignorant to the entire conference switching situation.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on April 16, 2013, 12:17:09 AM
Missouri State's President, who was on the search committee, is saying that Loyola was an easy choice over us and others.

http://blogs.news-leader.com/msu/2013/04/15/smart-loyola-a-unanimous-choice-for-the-valley/

Sounds like Loyola blew us away.  Facilities definitely was a major factor in the decision.  It seems pretty apparent now that our lack of commitment to athletic facility improvement cost us any chance we might have had.

A number of posters on this board have repeatedly remarked about the missed opportunity and the lack of investment by the university the past 15 years to capitalize on the national attention by the basketball team's run to the Sweet Sixteen with "The Shot" by Bryce. We have warned this would come back to haunt us at some time. The following two comments by Missouri State's president contrasting Loyola with other schools visited seem to validate those recurring comments of warning and should cause embarrassment for Valparaiso's administration:

"The school is extremely strong academically and they had by far the best athletic facilities of any school we looked at."

"They were more financially committed to putting money into athletics than any other school we looked at and have a plan to do that," Smart said.

Having said that, I still believe that a major factor was "location, location, location": the MVC desired a presence in the Chicago market.

a3uge

As far as the facilities discussion goes - I think we all should come to the conclusion that our rich donors aren't all that into sports. They would rather have their money go to an academic building rather than to a track team they probably didn't know we had.

I blame all of you guys reading this. You guys could be out there trying to make millions if you weren't so busy reading this and posting responses on this forum! Now go out there and make (win?) some money, but don't forget to sign that multi million dollar check for the new field house :p