• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-á-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

oklahomamick

It's official, ACC presidents voted Wichita St. (its not a state, I looked it up) into the conference.  My phone is on and just waiting for the invite.....

This is will cause big change for midwest mid-majors. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Ok, here's the SI link that announces the bid.  An official announcement will be after paperwork is complete.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/07/aac-conference-adds-wichita-state-shockers

Here is the USToday account.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/aac/2017/04/07/wichita-state-shockers-american-athletic-missouri-valley-conference-change/100127716/

From that article:  "Creighton was quickly replaced by Loyola-Chicago in 2013, and odds are Valparaiso would be a sensible-yet-underwhelming (  :-X  ) fill-in for the void the Shockers leave. But that all but assures the Valley, which sent a whopping four teams to the NCAA tournament in 2006, would be a yearly one-bid league — just another blow to a mid-major conference due to conference realignment."

SO...

Step One -- complete.  WSU to leave MVC and join AAC

Step Two -- MVC meets Sunday

Step Three -- Invite(s) go out -- TBD

Step Four -- Invite(s) accepted

Stay tuned boys and girls.  Same Bat Time. Same Bat Station Channel. (Fixed it)

usc4valpo

usc4valpo

Correct you are, boy blunder - WHO WHO WHo WHO WHO

I just hope the MVC commissioner is not Gordon

valpopal

When this thread was begun years ago and the MVC added Loyola, the other universities considered were UIC, Belmont, UMKC, and Valpo. Other programs likely would be under consideration this time. However, history would suggest that if the MVC adds three universities, Valpo would be an easy choice. In fact, Valpo, Belmont, and UMKC would be a good trio (UIC would be redundant with Loyola already in).

However, if the MVC selects only one team and Valpo isn't chosen, then VU will need to re-evaluate its program. If St. Louis were the one team selected, that would be understandable, and Belmont brings the Nashville market (Omaha and UMKC would also bring large markets). Nevertheless, Valpo has had four years to prepare for another chance at moving to the MVC, and that should have been enough time to make the program attractive. Mark LaBarbera has basically said Valpo is just waiting for a call from the MVC and hoping they find VU appealing. Certainly, on the court the team has done its part. 

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 07, 2017, 10:48:15 AM
Ok, here's the SI link that announces the bid.  An official announcement will be after paperwork is complete.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/07/aac-conference-adds-wichita-state-shockers

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/aac/2017/04/07/wichita-state-shockers-american-athletic-missouri-valley-conference-change/100127716/

From that article:  "Creighton was quickly replaced by Loyola-Chicago in 2013, and odds are Valparaiso would be a sensible-yet-underwhelming (  :-X  ) fill-in for the void the Shockers leave. But that all but assures the Valley, which sent a whopping four teams to the NCAA tournament in 2006, would be a yearly one-bid league — just another blow to a mid-major conference due to conference realignment."

SO...

I'm not sure what "underwhelming" means. No, we can't cure cancer, but we do have more wins over the past 5 years  and a better national reputation than any of the 9 remaining teams in the MVC. We could be the league's standard bearer in 2 years. That's all we can do. The rest is up to the other 9 to stop living off someone else's success and elevate their own program to tournament worthy status. Most of them aren't even close in terms recruiting, scheduling, and in some cases coaching.

FWalum

Quote from: E-Villan on April 07, 2017, 12:10:29 AM
Sorry to invade your board. Good luck, and hopefully when the dust settles, we can renew our long rivalry in a conference setting.
No reason to be sorry E-villan, love to hear from other perspectives. I have a soft spot for UE, my oldest daughter went there and my wife and I were on the Parent's Council during that time. I enjoyed going to games at Roberts Stadium and wished that VU had that kind of attendance. Unfortunately, this was during the Steve Merfeld days so the product on the floor could have been a little better. I often talked to administrators about the similarities between VU and EU and how proud they were of their MVC affiliation, I have to admit that I was a little jealous of their conference affiliation.

From what I know, I would think that EU would lobby pretty hard for VU to join the conference and I hope they get the opportunity to do just that.  I believe that the MVC is currently, and has a better opportunity to remain, a higher caliber Mid-Major Conference than the Horizon League. I also prefer the public-private makeup of the conference.

I don't really see any issues with the slightly longer travel distances to Drake, Northern Iowa and Missouri State because this is somewhat offset by the fact that the MVC has 4 teams within 200 miles of VU and the HL only has 2.

Here's hoping for an interesting next couple of weeks!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

SanityLost17

Quote from: wh on April 07, 2017, 11:54:39 AM

SO...

I'm not sure what "underwhelming" means. No, we can't cure cancer, but we do have more wins over the past 5 years  and a better national reputation than any of the 9 remaining teams in the MVC. We could be the league's standard bearer in 2 years. That's all we can do. The rest is up to the other 9 to stop living off someone else's success and elevate their own program to tournament worthy status. Most of them aren't even close in terms recruiting, scheduling, and in some cases coaching.

UNI clearly IMO has a better national brand than us.  Past that, you are correct. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 07, 2017, 12:11:26 PM
Quote from: wh on April 07, 2017, 11:54:39 AM

SO...

UNI clearly IMO has a better national brand than us.  Past that, you are correct.

Second that

bbtds

Quote from: wh on April 06, 2017, 03:35:04 PMAs to facilities, if the MVC wants Valpo, they should get a commitment in writing from Valpo's Administration to upgrade the ARC as part of the deal. This Administration absolutely loves to have its cake and eat it too.  There is no reason to think they will spend a dime on the ARC, short of having a gun put to their head.   

So sad but so very true!

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 06, 2017, 06:35:07 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 06, 2017, 06:32:53 PM
Not women's T&F?
Oops - fixed that.

Yes, but since it's memorialized in his post should he, FieldGoodie, strike through..........wait, nothing to strike through........and add T&F under WOMEN

Valpower

Quote from: wh on April 07, 2017, 11:54:39 AMI'm not sure what "underwhelming" means. No, we can't cure cancer, but we do have more wins over the past 5 years  and a better national reputation than any of the 9 remaining teams in the MVC. We could be the league's standard bearer in 2 years. That's all we can do. The rest is up to the other 9 to stop living off someone else's success and elevate their own program to tournament worthy status. Most of them aren't even close in terms recruiting, scheduling, and in some cases coaching.
My feeling is that they meant we were "underwhelming" when seen as a replacement for WSU, not necessarily compared to the other, realistic, choices.

bbtds

Quote from: E-Villan on April 07, 2017, 12:10:29 AMSorry to invade your board. Good luck, and hopefully when the dust settles, we can renew our long rivalry in a conference setting.

No worry, we have regular invaders on this board. Great to have your input.

Most of the old timers on this board would love to see Evansville on the schedule twice a year and renew what was a very good rivalry--too bad the old football rivalry couldn't be renewed.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/850414562079887361
https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/850414808226770945

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/mvc-targeting-valpo-murray-state-additions-following-wichita-states-departure/

MVC targeting Valpo, Murray State as additions following Wichita State's departure
By: Jon Rothstein
Posted on Apr 7, 2017

The Missouri Valley Conference is targeting both Valparaiso and Murray State as potential additions following Wichita State's departure to the American Athletic Conference, multiple sources told FanRag Sports.

Those two additions would give the league 11 teams in total which would lead to each team playing twice during the regular season in a 20-game league format, according to separate source.

FanRag Sports reported earlier this week that the MVC presidents and athletic directors would meet on Sunday in Saint Louis to discuss the future of the league.

Wichita State officially joined the American Athletic Conference on Friday.

The Shockers became the 12th basketball program in the league. They join Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane and Tulsa as current conference members.

While operating in the Missouri Valley Conference, Wichita State managed to make six-straight trips to the NCAA Tournament. Since Gregg Marshall became the program's head coach in 2007, the Shockers have an overall record of 261-90. Marshall just finished his 10th season as the head coach of Wichita State.

FanRag Sports will have more on this situation as it develops behind the scenes.

bigmosmithfan1

That would be awesome. Hope that report is correct.

oklahomamick

TONS of MVC talk on BISON 1660 am radio from 11am-1pm right now.
NDSU admin & play by play people really pushing for it.

Thats the biggest difference between our AD and others.  ML is very candid. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

NDSU is not going to be in the MVC for all sports.  Too far away.
"Don't mess with Texas"

SanityLost17

Quote from: VU2014 on April 07, 2017, 01:30:24 PM
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/850414562079887361
https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/850414808226770945

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/mvc-targeting-valpo-murray-state-additions-following-wichita-states-departure/

MVC targeting Valpo, Murray State as additions following Wichita State's departure
By: Jon Rothstein
Posted on Apr 7, 2017

The Missouri Valley Conference is targeting both Valparaiso and Murray State as potential additions following Wichita State's departure to the American Athletic Conference, multiple sources told FanRag Sports.

Those two additions would give the league 11 teams in total which would lead to each team playing twice during the regular season in a 20-game league format, according to separate source.

FanRag Sports reported earlier this week that the MVC presidents and athletic directors would meet on Sunday in Saint Louis to discuss the future of the league.

Wichita State officially joined the American Athletic Conference on Friday.

The Shockers became the 12th basketball program in the league. They join Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane and Tulsa as current conference members.

While operating in the Missouri Valley Conference, Wichita State managed to make six-straight trips to the NCAA Tournament. Since Gregg Marshall became the program's head coach in 2007, the Shockers have an overall record of 261-90. Marshall just finished his 10th season as the head coach of Wichita State.

FanRag Sports will have more on this situation as it develops behind the scenes.

20 conference games is no problem if that means we get to see Murray State twice a year.  Totally reasonable number of conference games.  Makes non-con scheduling easier since the 2 games you take away are against crap teams that kill your RPI or non-D1 teams.    Perfect!   Make it happen MVC!

SanityLost17

2 against UNI, 2 again Murray State, 2 against Missouri State, 2 agains ILLST every year.    We can probably keep a home and home non-con schedule against Oakland so we see them twice a year since Kampe loves playing us.    That is 10 really good to decent RPI games every year.    Cuts out the need for 250+ non-con RPI games or non D1 games.  Throw in a tournament (2 games) every year and a couple of buy games against high majors (2 games) and our schedule would be borderline set. 

VULB#62

If that's a go, does Murray State move over to the MVFC?  Would think so.  That would, with the recent addition of U North Dakota, make 12  MVFC members.  Two divisions and a playoff? 

But would that piss off the Dakota schools?  Would they vote to exclude MSU?  Would that be a deal breaker for BB?

valpopal

Sounds good so far: Valparaiso and Murray State are two of the three I recommended from the very beginning. The third was Belmont. Valpo would be travel partner for Loyola. Come on MVC & Belmont: Belmont could be added as well as a travel partner for Murray State!

MVC targeting Valpo, Murray State as additions following Wichita State's departure[/size]By: Jon RothsteinPosted on Apr 7, 2017

usc4valpo

sorry to bring this up, but could you imagine how Bill Steinbrecher or Alan Harre would handle this situation?

oklahomamick

Not very many mvc fans are happy Valpo is a lead candidate....
CRUSADERS!!!

bigmosmithfan1

To be fair, they've just seen their league poached of its best program. Were we thrilled when Butler and then Loyola left and were replaced with teams from the Summit League and the A-Sun? If we get a "fine, cool" from them we're doing about as well as can be expected, given the situation.

Pgmado