• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

usc4valpo

VULB#62

I would say so. Last night they beat Minn-Duluth 3-2 for the NCAA Frozen Four championship.  National Champs!

VULB#62

Anybody know when the emergency MVC leadership meeting is scheduled to end?

SanityLost17

Just a thought for VU2014.  It is nice to have a Valpo fan on twitter keeping up with everything and asking lots of questions to potential sources.  However, the combination of your Twitter name "Valpo_Hoops" and your logo, which is the official crusader logo, might be a bit much.  Makes it look like you are a representative of the University in some form when you are not.

I would change the logo.  People need to know that you are a fan and in no way have a relationship with the University.  Right now I could see people getting confused.  Just my opinion.   

valpotx

I would say that if we aren't added this go-around with the MVC, then we need to close the door on leaving for the MVC in the future.  If they only take Belmont, they will have demonstrated that they only care about adding schools based in a large city.  Belmont has been pretty good over the last 10 years, but they do not have any following, whatsoever.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

You could say that Belmont is the Loyola of Nashville, especially with all the Tennessee and Vanderbilt fans. Except that Belmont has better basketball than Loyola.

wh

If the Belmont rumor pans out, I will not be surprised to learn that we withdrew our name from consideration.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 09, 2017, 01:32:48 PM
Just a thought for VU2014.  It is nice to have a Valpo fan on twitter keeping up with everything and asking lots of questions to potential sources.  However, the combination of your Twitter name "Valpo_Hoops" and your logo, which is the official crusader logo, might be a bit much.  Makes it look like you are a representative of the University in some form when you are not.

I would change the logo.  People need to know that you are a fan and in no way have a relationship with the University.  Right now I could see people getting confused.  Just my opinion.

Like your contributions a lot VU2014, and I agree.  I made this remark to Mick that you do great for the forum.  But I was concerned that recruits that don't know you could mistake you for a representative of the university.

Keep up the awesome contributions!

valpolaw

I appreciate his insight for sure but I honestly thought his twitter was affiliated with the actual university and/or vu basketball team. I consider myself a pretty big fan so I'm sure many others think that as well.

I hope we get the invite but I'm not going to hold my breath on it.

valpotx

It should also be pointed out that Cory Curtis is a reporter in Nashville, and everyone already knows that Belmont is of interest to the MVC.  Therefore, he really isn't saying anything specific to today's meeting, other than the fact that everyone in the world knew that they would be discussed.

I can confidently say that he probably has no inside information.  If you look at his continued posts afterwards, he talks about how Saint Louis would strongly be considered and is a good market.  This guy has no clue over anyone else.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

The MVC meeting has ended and we wait for leaks of information. One earlier rumor suggested the MVC might not add anyone this year. However, the Missouri State President says following the meeting: "There are exciting days ahead for the Missouri Valley." I can't imagine him saying that if they were simply staying at 9 teams.

valpotx

It is going to be a several week process, I would imagine.  I wasn't expecting an announcement this week.  They have dozens of schools that have expressed interest, and will take their visits.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Apparently not a no-brainer like the AAC where the obvious was obviously confirmed obvoiusly by both parties the same day.

I find the MVC approach curious. The MVC knew WSU was leaving and that it was a slam dunk that the AAC would invite them and they would accept. Why weren't the ducks lined up in anticipation of this event? The MVC commissioner's office I think would have already contacted potential candidates and briefed them on the possible votes by the presidents and ADs, no?

~  No replacement -- IMO a HL move that would result in a loss of all momentum for achieving a score.
~  One replacement -- also a HL move that would dig a hole that they would need to dig out of
~  Two replacements  -- and a very long conference schedule that still involves their lower rated members
~  Three replacements -- shoring up the overall conference RPI

usc4valpo

We are talking academia, not business. In academia you have to have your martinis and enjoy the mahogany trim in the office,then talk about irrelevant stuff, then discuss the issue, then propose more campus buildings for safe space, then maybe reach a decision.

A business environment is more efficient. If a university were defined as a business it would upset shareholders and fail.

valpopal

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on April 09, 2017, 08:48:47 PM
[tweet]851239415267635200[/tweet]

This is of course a guess, but no decision today may mean multiple team invite. Or it may be as mentioned before that it's a slow process.

I still believe that we are better off only in a multiple team addition scenario.  Otherwise stay the course in the HL.

E-Villan

Dave Reynolds stated that UE would be announcing within a week a move back to the Horizon.

That was about 4 years ago..............................

Wouldn't read too much into anything he tweets.

VULB#62

Quote from: E-Villan on April 09, 2017, 11:00:55 PM
Dave Reynolds stated that UE would be announcing within a week a move back to the Horizon.

[Edit: BUT] That was about 4 years ago..............................

Wouldn't read too much into anything he tweets.

This got me thinking (even though it was 4 years ago).  Here's a bit of an imaginary conundrum for Valpo. 

WHAT IF..... the HL announces the addition of two new, well-qualified (<150 RPI, within the HL footprint, etc.)  members BEFORE the MVC completes their due diligence? What would we do? Can't ever imagine LeCrone pulling that off (and I certainly don't even have a guess which two schools would even fit into that scenario), but it sure would make for an interesting quandary, wouldn't it?

NativeCheesehead

Now I hope we join the MVC just for some back and forth with E-Villan. I like that level of snark.  :thumbsup:

Dave_2010

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 10, 2017, 09:38:51 AM

WHAT IF..... the HL announces the addition of two new, well-qualified (<150 RPI, within the HL footprint, etc.)  members BEFORE the MVC completes their due diligence? What would we do? Can't ever imagine LeCrone pulling that off (and I certainly don't even have a guess which two schools would even fit into that scenario), but it sure would make for an interesting quandary, wouldn't it?

It's an interesting thought experiment for sure, but one without many good answers. The absolute perfect solution would be Murray State and Belmont, but we've been saying that since the league was down to 8. Since it didn't work then, I can't imagine it now seeing as how the HL's standing has declined since then.

Robert Morris in Pittsburgh was intriguing a couple of years ago (perhaps paired with one of the private, Buffalo schools) but the bloom seems to be off the rose after consecutive rough seasons.

None of the top tier Summit schools are worth it as far as I'm concerned, and we certainly want nothing to do with IUPUI (or UMKC - WAC, but the point stands).

An intriguing possibility is an MVC raid to land a pair of public (InSt, IlSt,UNI) or private (E'Ville,Loyola,Drake) schools spooked by Wichita's exit. There are dozens of reasons why this Durant happen, not the least of which are the HL's lack of media money/exposure, cache, and leadership needed to pull off anything that bold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oklahomamick

InSt, IlSt,UNI or private E'Ville,Loyola,Drake are not at all interested in playing in motor city madness.  That alone is enough to keep them away from the HL. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Did the leak just before the MVC meeting about Valpo playing Northwestern next year help its case for the MVC leadership and in selling Valpo to MVC fans, or was that just a coincidence.  ::)

valpo64

With this forum so quiet regarding the MVC thing and a lack of info coming from any of the principals potentially involved just adding to the intrigue, I wonder if it means that there is something going on regarding a potential move for us.