• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

VULB#62

Suddenly, if these figures ($3million) are etched in stone, no way MVC even considers 3 schools.  And now  I am thinking only one at best. This is sobbering.

Quote from: wh on April 15, 2017, 04:52:48 PM
Quote from: agibson on April 15, 2017, 02:27:26 PM
It would be shocking if the Horizon League has left theirs as low as even $100,000.

I found the following post from 2013 by some guy named agibson that answers the question:

Quote from: agibson on April 14, 2013, 08:51:33 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on April 14, 2013, 06:42:20 PM
Just to cover all bases, if Loyola is jumping immediately, I presume they'll be paying a penalty like Butler did (also the teams who left the CAA early to jump to the A-10 last year -- it's all the rage these days)?

I don't know about championships.  It seems a little mean spirited to cut them out of this year's.

But, they're presumably forfeiting their HL NCAA shares. (I wonder if they'll get any of the MVC historical shares?)  And, there's now the $1M Horizon League exit fee, much more than what Butler had to pay.

So, apparently Valpo, Murray State and Belmont are all subject to $1 Million early exit fees.

valpotx

This has to mean that Belmont again turned them down, or they were told that they are not a top choice.  The comment by their AD is going above what you would say if you were thinking of leaving.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on April 15, 2017, 09:54:25 PM
This has to mean that Belmont again turned them down, or they were told that they are not a top choice.  The comment by their AD is going above what you would say if you were thinking of leaving.

I think we've come full circle back to the
Jon Rothstein article from April 7th:

MVC targeting Valpo, Murray State as additions following Wichita State's departure

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/mvc-targeting-valpo-murray-state-additions-following-wichita-states-departure/

wh

Will Football Play a Role in Missouri Valley Conference Expansion?

College Sports Journal
POSTED ON APRIL 15, 2017 BY KENT SCHMIDT

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/will-football-play-a-role-in-missouri-valley-conference-expansion/

vu72

Quote from: wh on April 15, 2017, 11:02:21 PM
Quote from: valpotx on April 15, 2017, 09:54:25 PM

I think we've come full circle back to the
Jon Rothstein article from April 7th:

MVC targeting Valpo, Murray State as additions following Wichita State's departure

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/mvc-targeting-valpo-murray-state-additions-following-wichita-states-departure/

Don't think this has been posted, if not, worth the listen.  This is a podcast by a couple of Murray State guys along the lines of Union Street Hoops (but not as good! ;D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVpaT2sG2wM
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on April 16, 2017, 04:59:22 AM
Will Football Play a Role in Missouri Valley Conference Expansion?

College Sports Journal
POSTED ON APRIL 15, 2017 BY KENT SCHMIDT

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/will-football-play-a-role-in-missouri-valley-conference-expansion/

Whether he nails it or not, Schmidt did an interesting and thorough analysis.

His premise:  MVC goes to 12 members but needs to also maintain balance in the MVFC so they will add 1 FB school and 2 non-FB schools.

His bets: Murray State (FB), Valpo and UMKC (non-FB).  He provides rationale for this. He also almost ignores Belmont -- could be as a result of what Tex pointed out as a pretty firm no from the Belmont AD.

The plot thickens  :coffeetime:

valpotx

I have said it before, but I just don't get why some MVC fans are enamored with UMKC.  They have never proven to draw any type of fan passion/attendance, even when the Mid-Con tourney was in their city!  It is a commuter school, and many people don't even know that they play sports...
"Don't mess with Texas"

RacerJoeD

That's actually me and my buddy doing the podcast. It's a zero budget kinda thing. (As in, we eat lunch together once a week. We should record some of this.) There is another, more polished podcast that spun off of a radio show that I will try to post. I would have posted both, but wasn't sure that you guys would care to hear either.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=T6oJk8mOzJ4

UMKC is Loyola all over again. Though to read their message board, you wouldn't know it. For all the talk about upgrading facilities for you guys, UMKC uses a building from the 1930s (Art Deco, quite beautiful).

oklahomamick

Is omaha a better candidate than umkc? 

At the end of the midwestern mid major conference shake up, umkc will be in a different conference.  The kangaroos will be in either the mvc, (can't believe I said that) back into the summit or in the HL (can't believe I said that either) one thing is certain their time in the WAC is coming to an end
CRUSADERS!!!

Dave_2010

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 16, 2017, 12:53:46 PM
Is omaha a better candidate than umkc? 

At the end of the midwestern mid major conference shake up, umkc will be in a different conference.  The kangaroos will be in either the mvc, (can't believe I said that) back into the summit or in the HL (can't believe I said that either) one thing is certain their time in the WAC is coming to an end

I would think so. Brand new facility and a commitment to stepping up to D1. Omaha has more of a Northern Kentucky feel, while UMKC has proven itself to be more like IUPUI...along for the ride but not really committed.

My only concern with Omaha would be them dealing with the same issues UWM has in relation to Marquette...no matter what they do, they'll always be little brother to Creighton. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

let's go outside of the box here - how about Stephen F. Austin? Good academics, beautiful campus,  success in basketball, lots of alums...

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 16, 2017, 04:34:21 PM
let's go outside of the box here - how about Stephen F. Austin? Good academics, beautiful campus,  success in basketball, lots of alums...

[/quote

Um, #76 ranked regional university in the West.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Be careful, as I believe that his wife graduated from SFA :).

Belmont seems to be out of the equation, which helps us a lot.  They either stay at 9 for now, or someone gets matched up with Loyola (hopefully us, and not UIC).  The HL will add UMKC in place of whoever leaves.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Ok, I will let that discussion go. I will still sat that Brad Underwood will be a better college coach than Bryce Drew, unless the Illinois alums or administration mess it up

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 16, 2017, 04:34:21 PM

Also outside the MVC footprint.  ::). But the FB stadium is great.  ;)

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 14, 2017, 04:50:46 PM
In all seriousness, just the fact the MVC has so far managed to have zero substantive leaks on this process makes me want to join them.

Maybe there's no leaks because nobody cares enough to dig into the situation and pry information out of people...

VU2014

Quote from: a3uge on April 17, 2017, 10:11:00 AM

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 14, 2017, 04:50:46 PM
In all seriousness, just the fact the MVC has so far managed to have zero substantive leaks on this process makes me want to join them.

Maybe there's no leaks because nobody cares enough to dig into the situation and pry information out of people...

Nah there are plenty of beat reporters in the MVC (WAY more then the HL) trying to break the story. Quite a few fans from the MVC and the potential schools want to know as well.

It really is a bit shocking that there hasn't been a single leak yet. The MVC office and the MVC schools Athletic Departments have really kept this tight lipped.

wh

Does the MVC have an entry fee that Valpo will also be required to pay?  As one example, Oakland paid $882,000 to join the Horizon League:

https://twitter.com/PaulKampe/status/331890575383093248

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on April 17, 2017, 11:14:21 AM
Does the MVC have an entry fee that Valpo will also be required to pay?  As one example, Oakland paid $882,000 to join the Horizon League:

[Note: Please be aware that this is kind of a snarky question with no basis in fact, just what's been speculated or mentioned on this string.]  When you add up the possible HL exit fee and the possible MVC entry fee, that comes to maybe almost $2 million.  What would $2 million in improvements to the ARC get us?

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 17, 2017, 11:44:06 AM
Quote from: wh on April 17, 2017, 11:14:21 AM

[Note: Please be aware that this is kind of a snarky question with no basis in fact, just what's been speculated or mentioned on this string.]  When you add up the possible HL exit fee and the possible MVC entry fee, that comes to maybe almost $2 million.  What would $2 million in improvements to the ARC get us?

Good question but $2 million would probably be for "Minor" improvements. Would take much more money to renovate the ARC the way they'd like to in the future.

Also one thing to keep in mind is that I'd have to think Mark Labarbera & President Heckler have had a few donors they could call about the possibility of changing Conferences. We almost made that jump a few years ago (when the costs were lower) but they should have known this could be a real possibility so I'd hope they've planned to make this leap financially if it was the right move.

agibson

Quote from: wh on April 15, 2017, 04:52:48 PMI found the following post from 2013 by some guy named agibson that answers the question:

Nice! Maybe some day he'll learn to cite his sources.

bigmosmithfan1

If I had to guess, I'd suspect that negotiations are ongoing and all parties are operating under an NDA, hence the lack of leaks. One would assume that if the MVC presidents had decided to stand pat at 9 teams during their emergency meeting over a week ago, that would've been announced/leaked by now, since there'd be no reason not to disclose that - in fact, it'd be preferable to them to do so if that was the decision. 

bigmosmithfan1

I've also wondered if the Easter holiday played into the lack of any news last week, since two of the rumored targets are religiously-affiliated schools that were closed on Friday. Might have pushed back the timeline a few days.

wh

Saw ml at the Post Office. Thought about asking him to blink once if we're staying and twice if we're going; instead, we became ships that pass in the night.

vu72

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on April 17, 2017, 12:32:37 PM
I've also wondered if the Easter holiday played into the lack of any news last week, since two of the rumored targets are religiously-affiliated schools that were closed on Friday. Might have pushed back the timeline a few days.

Hey!!  If our athletes can play on Easter then our administrators can negotiate on Easter!!   ;)