• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

VULB#62

On my iMac this thread goes 48 pages deep.  The list of threads under the topic Valpo Basketball is only 24 pages deep. I can't recall any single thread having this much action. There are 1176 replies and it has been viewed 89,519 times.   It looks like no other thread (digging back only the first 10 pages of Valpo Basketball) comes close to this one in either replies or views.  Just thought that interesting.

VU2014

Paul Oren is about to get on a North Dakota State Radio station talking about Valpo possibly joining the MVC if you want to give it a listen.

http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/KQWBAM

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/854082665800249345

talksalot

Interesting conversation... good job Paul!   Nice plug for USHoops!

valpotx

NDSU has no chance of being invited for all sports.  I didn't listen, but those fans are delusional if they think that will happen any time soon.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: wh on April 17, 2017, 03:14:27 PM
Saw ml at the Post Office. Thought about asking him to blink once if we're staying and twice if we're going; instead, we became ships that pass in the night.

The Murray State Athletic Director went on record this afternoon that MSU has not been invited by the MVC, at least not yet.

RacerJoeD

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on April 17, 2017, 06:37:12 PM
Quote from: wh on April 17, 2017, 03:14:27 PM
Saw ml at the Post Office. Thought about asking him to blink once if we're staying and twice if we're going; instead, we became ships that pass in the night.

The Murray State Athletic Director went on record this afternoon that MSU has not been invited by the MVC, at least not yet.

Ah, but did be say that MSU has no interest in any move and that they committed to the OVC?

wh

Might this news bring us back around to Jimmy Lemke's prediction from April 7th:

The schools. Omaha-UMKC-Valpo. Those are the ones on the docket.

Unless the docket has changed since yesterday, which I suppose is possible

Yes, Jimmy was wrong about UIC going to the MVC instead of Loyola, but I know from following their board that he does have contacts and has a pretty darn good batting average.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on April 17, 2017, 08:11:28 PM
Might this news bring us back around to Jimmy Lemke's prediction from April 7th:

The schools. Omaha-UMKC-Valpo. Those are the ones on the docket.

Unless the docket has changed since yesterday, which I suppose is possible

Yes, Jimmy was wrong about UIC going to the MVC instead of Loyola, but I know from following their board that he does have contacts and has a pretty darn good batting average.

UIC (public) would have likely got the invite if WSU (public) left before Creighton did a few years ago. The MVC was dead set on "getting into" (FAIL) the Chicago Market a few years ago thats why they let in Loyola. (Valpo gets more Chicago sports media pub then Loyola the last 3-4 years) UIC got a serious look a few years ago.

As for UMKC. I wouldn't even want them in the Horizon League (not trying be harsh, just honest...). They are slashing budgets and basketball success is not great or consistent. The market is the only thing appealing about UMKC but the problem is that not many follow them and doesn't get much if any media buzz there. Kansas City is a Professional Sports town and not a college town. Same goes for Chicago. I've been told that DePaul was "bigger" (hotter ticket in town) before the Jordan Bulls years during the Ray Meyer/(early) Joey Meyer years. DePaul has completely and utterly fallen off the Chicago sports scene map.

Omaha is interesting. Rising program but not proven yet. Never even had 20 win season yet. Never made the NCAA tourney yet. Nice facilities. But if Omaha makes that jump and makes the NCAA Tourney its only a matter of time before they lose their coach (Homer type coaches are very rare). They've only had one D1 coach in their basketball history. Some risk with that move and I'm not convinced they'll be able to compete right away at the MVC level. They may struggle with that transition.

I really think Valpo, Belmont and Murray State are the best options.

RacerJoeD

I should point out that Belmont has only had one coach their entire time in D1.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 17, 2017, 03:58:35 PM
On my iMac this thread goes 48 pages deep.  The list of threads under the topic Valpo Basketball is only 24 pages deep. I can't recall any single thread having this much action. There are 1176 replies and it has been viewed 89,519 times.   It looks like no other thread (digging back only the first 10 pages of Valpo Basketball) comes close to this one in either replies or views.  Just thought that interesting.

Albeit half of these posts were in 2013, and half this year.

Still, even as two threads, it's pretty long.

wh

Quote from: bsmith21 on April 17, 2017, 10:47:45 PM
so to conclude we really don't know anything more than we dI'd before this thread blew up. We might or might not be in the MVC next year

...and we might or might not join along with Murray State and/or Belmont, or UMKC and Omaha, or alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

valpo04

Quote from: agibson on April 17, 2017, 09:13:22 PM

The "More Stats" link on the front page confirms it.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo04 on April 18, 2017, 11:23:59 AM
Quote from: agibson on April 17, 2017, 09:13:22 PM

The "More Stats" link on the front page confirms it.

Awesome. I didn't know that "More Stats" page existed. Not surprising to see Recruiting and MVC dominates fan interest.

Was taking a look at the 'Top 10 Posters' and valpotx is the leader but LaPorteAveApostle is a close 2nd place at 4455(!). Where has LaPorteAveApostle been the last year or so since I've joined the forum? It's been a big year for Valpo Basketball. Needs to jump on the message board again. I'm sure he'd have some interesting insight.

Also where has ValpoDad89 gone?

M

VULB#62

I've seen ValpoDad89 listed as having logged in many times.  I think he's backed off commenting and just monitors the goings on.

VU2014

MidMajorMadness is going to be doing a Mailbag piece soon. If you have any Valpo/MVC/HL questions tweet at them.

https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/854413127923924992

VULB#62

Follow the link to the Tennesean article

[tweet]854736551812747265[/tweet]

[tweet]854011600394760193[/tweet]

ALSO.......... On the MVC side of things, it appears like the drift of the expansion thread of their fan forum has moved to questions regarding how this all might impact football (MVFC) and the role that Murray State might fill.  Indiana State is not getting any love, BTW..

http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4679&start=36

crusadermoe

St. Louis U. would be VERY WISE to listen to the MVC overtures. 

Several reasons:
1- Their finances are a mess, including a recent flunk of medical school accreditation.  Big layoffs are coming.
2- Travel for all SLU sports benefit from lowered costs of the 3 hour bus trips or less to several MVC schools and easy trips to Iowa and Chicago
3- St. Louis would become the destination/anchor city/major league city for multiple sports as shown by Arch Madness
4- Travel to Rhode Island, VCU etc. has to be hugely expensive and time consuming.
5- SLU could become a dominant new Creighton and raise the profile of all schools and raise themselves nationally as a "winner" in the process.
6 -Adding Murray and Valpo becomes even more logical as travel pairs with So. Illinois, Loyola, and Evansvile, Terre Haute.
7- They are in MISSOURI for God's sake, not in the "Atlantic"
8 -soccer and baseball are historic strengths in the area

Again, their  finances suck right now and it could throw them a lifeline.

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 19, 2017, 02:00:43 PM
St. Louis U. would be VERY WISE to listen to the MVC overtures. 

Several reasons:
1- Their finances are a mess, including a recent flunk of medical school accreditation.  Big layoffs are coming.
2- Travel for all SLU sports benefit from lowered costs of the 3 hour bus trips or less to several MVC schools and easy trips to Iowa and Chicago
3- St. Louis would become the destination/anchor city/major league city for multiple sports as shown by Arch Madness
4- Travel to Rhode Island, VCU etc. has to be hugely expensive and time consuming.
5- SLU could become a dominant new Creighton and raise the profile of all schools and raise themselves nationally as a "winner" in the process.
6 -Adding Murray and Valpo becomes even more logical as travel pairs with So. Illinois, Loyola, and Evansvile, Terre Haute.
7- They are in MISSOURI for God's sake, not in the "Atlantic"
8 -soccer and baseball are historic strengths in the area

Again, their  finances suck right now and it could throw them a lifeline.

Yes it would be wise but they are dead set on trying to be in a Multi-bid league. I don't think they would even give much if any consideration to an MVC invite. They turned down the MVC when Creighton left a few years ago.

The SLU Pres/AD/Fans/Alum think they are above the MVC. The MVC being a 1-bid league is a complete non-starter for that school. I actually admire that schools commitment to wanting to be in the best league possible. SLU PAYS a BOATLOAD in travel costs ($$$).

Maybe in the future there will be a new Midwest MidMajor that would combine the best of the Midwests Mids. As of now it completely out of the question from everything that has been reported and talked about.

VU2014

A Valpo Student who runs the student radio program on WVUR is saying he has a source who says the MVC might be adding Valpo and Murray State.

Pretty much what Rothstein reported on April 7.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/854773476825194500
https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/854773686070640640

crusaderjoe

Quote from: VU2014 on April 19, 2017, 02:52:55 PM
A Valpo Student who runs the student radio program on WVUR is saying he has a source who says the MVC might be adding Valpo and Murray State.

So we've completely circled back now on the prospective additions.

Here's what I think.  If we don't hear anything in the next 10 or so days, I don't think anyone will be moving anywhere for the 2017-2018 season, and the MVC will just sit pat at nine teams at least for a year, IMO. 

While it is true that when Butler moved to the Atlantic 10, they "left" at the end of May, this was due to a response by the HL enjoining them from earning conference championships for their last year in the league after giving the League a year's notice, IIRC.   (Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.)  A late move like this would be due to special circumstances, but not because of a late announcement by the MVC, IMO.

If Valpo is in fact moving to the MVC, there is no way that we will announce with a year's notice either given the past Butler precedent that was levied by the HL when they left (if my recollection is correct), IMO, unless we are allowed to compete for championships. 

If Valpo and/or Murray State are teams #10 and #11 respectively, I still can't see how Murray can leave the OVC this year.  Their football schedule is already set for this fall.  Perhaps the MVC is looking to get to 10, 11 or 12 teams incrementally over the next year or two.  That would make more sense than having Murray and Valpo move now, unless the OVC will allow Murray to stay as a football only member.  Otherwise, if not, Valpo (or whomever is a leading candidate for #10) potentially could move this year and MSU could then move in a year or two as soon as their football issue is settled.  Or, both could move at once next year.  I guess we will know soon enough.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteHL enjoining them from earning conference championships for their last year in the league after giving the League a year's notice, IIRC.   (Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.)  A late move like this would be due to special circumstances, but not because of a late announcement by the MVC, IMO.

That was Butler's spin on it. Butler was told they wouldn't be allowed to *host* any conference championships, i.e. their basketball teams weren't eligible to play on their homecourt in the HL tourney. That was enough to get them to bolt a year earlier than expected in a huff, and lead their media sycophants in Indy and Ft. Wayne to go with the exaggerated version of events.

Doubt any parties are concerned with the fall football schedule, especially since MVFC is technically a separate entity. Murray could join basketball for next year, then join MVFC for football the following fall. Similar setups have happened a lot in recent years with all the conference shuffling (I believe a couple of the new members of the Big Ten and ACC went this route). Lame-duck football seasons are pretty routine since schedules are set so far in advance.  Way easier for a conference to have every team find two new hoops opponents the next winter than have eight teams scrambling for a game four months out from kickoff -- there just aren't enough teams who'll have an opening on their schedule at this point.

vu72

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 19, 2017, 03:31:18 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 19, 2017, 02:52:55 PM

So we've completely circled back now on the prospective additions.

Here's what I think.  If we don't hear anything in the next 10 or so days, I don't think anyone will be moving anywhere for the 2017-2018 season, and the MVC will just sit pat at nine teams at least for a year, IMO. 

While it is true that when Butler moved to the Atlantic 10, they "left" at the end of May, this was due to a response by the HL enjoining them from earning conference championships for their last year in the league after giving the League a year's notice, IIRC.   (Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.)  A late move like this would be due to special circumstances, but not because of a late announcement by the MVC, IMO.

If Valpo is in fact moving to the MVC, there is no way that we will announce with a year's notice either given the past Butler precedent that was levied by the HL when they left (if my recollection is correct), IMO, unless we are allowed to compete for championships. 

If Valpo and/or Murray State are teams #10 and #11 respectively, I still can't see how Murray can leave the OVC this year.  Their football schedule is already set for this fall.  Perhaps the MVC is looking to get to 10, 11 or 12 teams incrementally over the next year or two.  That would make more sense than having Murray and Valpo move now, unless the OVC will allow Murray to stay as a football only member.  Otherwise, if not, Valpo (or whomever is a leading candidate for #10) potentially could move this year and MSU could then move in a year or two as soon as their football issue is settled.  Or, both could move at once next year.  I guess we will know soon enough.

Not sure if you missed an earlier conversation or not.  The Missouri Valley Conference doesn't play football.  If Murray State joined they would be playing football in a different conference, presumably in the OVC.  Later, as you suggest, when football scheduling isn't an issue, they might join the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

http://www.valley-football.org/

http://www.mvc-sports.com/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015