• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-á-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 19, 2017, 02:00:43 PM
St. Louis U. would be VERY WISE to listen to the MVC overtures. 

Several reasons:
1- Their finances are a mess, including a recent flunk of medical school accreditation.  Big layoffs are coming.
2- Travel for all SLU sports benefit from lowered costs of the 3 hour bus trips or less to several MVC schools and easy trips to Iowa and Chicago
3- St. Louis would become the destination/anchor city/major league city for multiple sports as shown by Arch Madness
4- Travel to Rhode Island, VCU etc. has to be hugely expensive and time consuming.
5- SLU could become a dominant new Creighton and raise the profile of all schools and raise themselves nationally as a "winner" in the process.
6 -Adding Murray and Valpo becomes even more logical as travel pairs with So. Illinois, Loyola, and Evansvile, Terre Haute.
7- They are in MISSOURI for God's sake, not in the "Atlantic"
8 -soccer and baseball are historic strengths in the area

Again, their  finances suck right now and it could throw them a lifeline.

SLU president says "Show Me."

crusaderjoe

Quote from: vu72 on April 19, 2017, 04:03:06 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 19, 2017, 03:31:18 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 19, 2017, 02:52:55 PM
A Valpo Student who runs the student radio program on WVUR is saying he has a source who says the MVC might be adding Valpo and Murray State.

Pretty much what Rothstein reported on April 7.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/854773476825194500
https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/854773686070640640

So we've completely circled back now on the prospective additions.

Here's what I think.  If we don't hear anything in the next 10 or so days, I don't think anyone will be moving anywhere for the 2017-2018 season, and the MVC will just sit pat at nine teams at least for a year, IMO. 

While it is true that when Butler moved to the Atlantic 10, they "left" at the end of May, this was due to a response by the HL enjoining them from earning conference championships for their last year in the league after giving the League a year's notice, IIRC.   (Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.)  A late move like this would be due to special circumstances, but not because of a late announcement by the MVC, IMO.

If Valpo is in fact moving to the MVC, there is no way that we will announce with a year's notice either given the past Butler precedent that was levied by the HL when they left (if my recollection is correct), IMO, unless we are allowed to compete for championships. 

If Valpo and/or Murray State are teams #10 and #11 respectively, I still can't see how Murray can leave the OVC this year.  Their football schedule is already set for this fall.  Perhaps the MVC is looking to get to 10, 11 or 12 teams incrementally over the next year or two.  That would make more sense than having Murray and Valpo move now, unless the OVC will allow Murray to stay as a football only member.  Otherwise, if not, Valpo (or whomever is a leading candidate for #10) potentially could move this year and MSU could then move in a year or two as soon as their football issue is settled.  Or, both could move at once next year.  I guess we will know soon enough.

Not sure if you missed an earlier conversation or not.  The Missouri Valley Conference doesn't play football.  If Murray State joined they would be playing football in a different conference, presumably in the OVC.  Later, as you suggest, when football scheduling isn't an issue, they might join the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

http://www.valley-football.org/

http://www.mvc-sports.com/

I understand that they are separate entities.  You mentioned the word "presumably."  However, I think there is a bit of a larger presumption on this board that the OVC would simply let Murray keep their football in the OVC if they announced that they were moving to the MVC next fall.  I don't think that's a given at all.

Does the OVC allow for affiliate conference football membership?  We know that the OVC allows for non football playing members (i.e. Belmont) to join their league for other sports, but does the OVC allow for affiliate football membership only?  If the answer is no, please tell me where Murray would play their football next fall if they move to the MVC in 2017, and whether their football team could play for a conference championship or qualify for the FCS tournament when they do so. 

I suppose Murray could play their scheduled football games as an FCS Independent in 2017, but the point I'm trying to make is that there are signed contracts for OVC conference football games already in place now for Murray, and if they simply leave the OVC now in all sports, they could potentially breach those contracts with other OVC football playing schools, resulting in some monetary damages without a conference to play in for 2017.

FWalum

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 19, 2017, 02:00:43 PM
St. Louis U. would be VERY WISE to listen to the MVC overtures. 

Several reasons:
1- Their finances are a mess, including a recent flunk of medical school accreditation.  Big layoffs are coming.
2- Travel for all SLU sports benefit from lowered costs of the 3 hour bus trips or less to several MVC schools and easy trips to Iowa and Chicago
3- St. Louis would become the destination/anchor city/major league city for multiple sports as shown by Arch Madness
4- Travel to Rhode Island, VCU etc. has to be hugely expensive and time consuming.
5- SLU could become a dominant new Creighton and raise the profile of all schools and raise themselves nationally as a "winner" in the process.
6 -Adding Murray and Valpo becomes even more logical as travel pairs with So. Illinois, Loyola, and Evansvile, Terre Haute.
7- They are in MISSOURI for God's sake, not in the "Atlantic"
8 -soccer and baseball are historic strengths in the area

Again, their  finances suck right now and it could throw them a lifeline.

Not sure that a school with at 1.02 Billion dollar endowment is thinking that a change in athletic conferences really has much impact on their financial situation let alone "throw them a lifeline".  A return to the MVC might be a prudent move by SLU, but it doesn't look like one they will be considering unless athletics take a prominent spot in the budget cutting process.

While they are currently the only US medical school on probation, this is not an uncommon occurrence. Other excellent schools, such as Baylor and George Washington universities, have been on probation in recent years. Perception may not be the best when accompanied by some of the other issues, but I just can't see them lowering expectations on the basketball program.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

I only hope that any forthcoming offer from the MVC contains specific caveats that Valpo must upgrade the ARC to certain minimum standards within a given time frame, including financial penalties for failure to comply. It's the only way to ever know if the current administration is truly committed to elevating the profile of the men's basketball program, beyond accepting another gift laid in its lap (the Drews being gift #1).       

VULB#62

The MVC fan board is in the midst of discussing the same sticking point.  They kind of concluded that because of the FB contracts (both on the OVC and the MVFC side) being already signed going out 2 years that the OVC would allow MSU to stay as a football associate for those 2 years and the MVFC will wait those two years for MSU, just like they are waiting for North Dakota to join in 2020.  Here is a scrape off their board:

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea
Postby uniftw » April 18th, 2017, 12:38 pm

MVFC schedules are set through 2019. It's why UND isn't joining the MVFC until 2020 even though they are joining The Summit in 2018

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 19, 2017, 04:28:21 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 19, 2017, 04:03:06 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 19, 2017, 03:31:18 PM
A Valpo Student who runs the student radio program on WVUR is saying he has a source who says the MVC might be adding Valpo and Murray State.

Pretty much what Rothstein reported on April 7.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/854773476825194500

So we've completely circled back now on the prospective additions.

Here's what I think.  If we don't hear anything in the next 10 or so days, I don't think anyone will be moving anywhere for the 2017-2018 season, and the MVC will just sit pat at nine teams at least for a year, IMO. 

While it is true that when Butler moved to the Atlantic 10, they "left" at the end of May, this was due to a response by the HL enjoining them from earning conference championships for their last year in the league after giving the League a year's notice, IIRC.   (Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.)  A late move like this would be due to special circumstances, but not because of a late announcement by the MVC, IMO.

If Valpo is in fact moving to the MVC, there is no way that we will announce with a year's notice either given the past Butler precedent that was levied by the HL when they left (if my recollection is correct), IMO, unless we are allowed to compete for championships. 

If Valpo and/or Murray State are teams #10 and #11 respectively, I still can't see how Murray can leave the OVC this year.  Their football schedule is already set for this fall.  Perhaps the MVC is looking to get to 10, 11 or 12 teams incrementally over the next year or two.  That would make more sense than having Murray and Valpo move now, unless the OVC will allow Murray to stay as a football only member.  Otherwise, if not, Valpo (or whomever is a leading candidate for #10) potentially could move this year and MSU could then move in a year or two as soon as their football issue is settled.  Or, both could move at once next year.  I guess we will know soon enough.

Not sure if you missed an earlier conversation or not.  The Missouri Valley Conference doesn't play football.  If Murray State joined they would be playing football in a different conference, presumably in the OVC.  Later, as you suggest, when football scheduling isn't an issue, they might join the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

http://www.valley-football.org/

http://www.mvc-sports.com/

I understand that they are separate entities.  You mentioned the word "presumably."  However, I think there is a bit of a larger presumption on this board that the OVC would simply let Murray keep their football in the OVC if they announced that they were moving to the MVC next fall.  I don't think that's a given at all.

Does the OVC allow for affiliate conference football membership?  We know that the OVC allows for non football playing members (i.e. Belmont) to join their league for other sports, but does the OVC allow for affiliate football membership only?  If the answer is no, please tell me where Murray would play their football next fall if they move to the MVC in 2017, and whether their football team could play for a conference championship or qualify for the FCS tournament when they do so. 

I suppose Murray could play their scheduled football games as an FCS Independent in 2017, but the point I'm trying to make is that there are signed contracts for OVC conference football games already in place now for Murray, and if they simply leave the OVC now in all sports, they could potentially breach those contracts with other OVC football playing schools, resulting in some monetary damages without a conference to play in for 2017.

valpotx

The reason that I rarely comment on Facilities discussions, is because it is so overdone, especially when we can't fill the current setup.  Switch out the benches for chairbacks in the lower bowl, and be done with it.  No addition to capacity until our fans prove that they can fill the current amount.  It has been since I was in school, when that was the case....
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

WH, I scraped this post today on the MVC board by your brother.  Thought you'd like to know.  ;)

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea
Postby Redhawk » April 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm

If the rumors on Valpo and Murray State are true I hope they come with some provisions:

Valpo: Upgrade and enlarge the High School gym they play in.

Murray St: Commit to MVFC football

Entire Valley: Reinstate the OOC schedule mandate

Quote from: wh on April 19, 2017, 04:32:54 PM

I only hope that any forthcoming offer from the MVC contains specific caveats that Valpo must upgrade the ARC to certain minimum standards within a given time frame, including financial penalties for failure to comply. It's the only way to ever know if the current administration is truly committed to elevating the profile of the men's basketball program, beyond accepting another gift laid in its lap (the Drews being gift #1).     

a3uge

I hope that if we join the MVC, we put stipulations on other MVC members to improve their basketball teams.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: a3uge on April 19, 2017, 06:00:20 PM
I hope that if we join the MVC, we put stipulations on other MVC members to improve their basketball teams.

Enlarging the gym does squat.  The days of selling out because locals have nothing else to do are GONE!!!

It's more important to have a great atmosphere. 

bigmosmithfan1

Quoteespecially when we can't fill the current setup

That's the wrong metric. There are reasons why we can't fill the current setup that a more modern facility with better amenities would help alleviate. I personally know a number of fans who'd probably be season ticket holders, except sitting on the bleachers on the mezzanine side is an uncomfortable proposition to spend money on. So they come to 3-4 games per year instead. Also, it's likely that we'll draw better in a conference with more familiar names and bigger and better traveling fanbases. (And a conference that likely won't schedule games against our top conference rival while students are on break).

QuoteEnlarging the gym does squat.

Actually, enlarging the arena gives you the opportunity to make more money and sets you up for future growth. No one's saying expand to 10,000 seats or anything like that. But a renovation and smart expansion to a capacity of 6,500 is reasonable and smart.

You knock out the wall behind the chairbacks, add a small mezzanine with a layer of suites on top (which help attract more corporate support of the program). New concessions, restrooms and entry lobby behind it. Practice court and other player creature comforts underneath. Replace bleachers on other side with chairbacks, re-angling the seats so you don't lose much capacity (the track is wasted space). Chairbacks behind east basket, since you don't need the concession stand and souvenir stand there anymore (relocate it to new lobby). Do something about the floor so it isn't as hard as concrete.

"But we won't fill it every night?" Maybe not at first, but over time the goal is to grow into it, like a new home. And you have an extra 1,000 seats plus suites to increase revenue when you do. And a much better fan experience (so more fans buy tickets, helping, ta-da, *to fill the seats you have*). And no worries about your facility being used against you in recruiting.

Look, I know this will take commitment, and lots of money. But if Valpo wants to remain competitive at the level they imagine themselves, this is not a "nice to have," it's a near-term imperative. We can think that will continue to win into infinity with the outdated building we have, but the track record of the top non-P5 programs around the country says otherwise. The fact that fans of *another mid-major conference that we've more than held our own against recently* want something in writing before potentially inviting us should wake you up to the fact that keeping the ARC as-is is an untenable proposition.

valpo64

No question that when we fill the ARC, or come very close to doing it, the ARC provides a great atmosphere for mid-major college basketball.

vu72

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on April 19, 2017, 08:20:11 PM

That's the wrong metric. There are reasons why we can't fill the current setup that a more modern facility with better amenities would help alleviate. I personally know a number of fans who'd probably be season ticket holders, except sitting on the bleachers on the mezzanine side is an uncomfortable proposition to spend money on. So they come to 3-4 games per year instead. Also, it's likely that we'll draw better in a conference with more familiar names and bigger and better traveling fanbases. (And a conference that likely won't schedule games against our top conference rival while students are on break).

Actually, enlarging the arena gives you the opportunity to make more money and sets you up for future growth. No one's saying expand to 10,000 seats or anything like that. But a renovation and smart expansion to a capacity of 6,500 is reasonable and smart.

You knock out the wall behind the chairbacks, add a small mezzanine with a layer of suites on top (which help attract more corporate support of the program). New concessions, restrooms and entry lobby behind it. Practice court and other player creature comforts underneath. Replace bleachers on other side with chairbacks, re-angling the seats so you don't lose much capacity (the track is wasted space). Chairbacks behind east basket, since you don't need the concession stand and souvenir stand there anymore (relocate it to new lobby). Do something about the floor so it isn't as hard as concrete.

"But we won't fill it every night?" Maybe not at first, but over time the goal is to grow into it, like a new home. And you have an extra 1,000 seats plus suites to increase revenue when you do. And a much better fan experience (so more fans buy tickets, helping, ta-da, *to fill the seats you have*). And no worries about your facility being used against you in recruiting.

Look, I know this will take commitment, and lots of money. But if Valpo wants to remain competitive at the level they imagine themselves, this is not a "nice to have," it's a near-term imperative. We can think that will continue to win into infinity with the outdated building we have, but the track record of the top non-P5 programs around the country says otherwise. The fact that fans of *another mid-major conference that we've more than held our own against recently* want something in writing before potentially inviting us should wake you up to the fact that keeping the ARC as-is is an untenable proposition.

Don't disagree.  Just know that the "concrete" floor was replaced a couple of years ago.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

smitty

Quote from: VU2014 on April 18, 2017, 11:38:26 AM
Quote from: valpo04 on April 18, 2017, 11:23:59 AM
Quote from: agibson on April 17, 2017, 09:13:22 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 17, 2017, 03:58:35 PMOn my iMac this thread goes 48 pages deep.  The list of threads under the topic Valpo Basketball is only 24 pages deep. I can't recall any single thread having this much action. There are 1176 replies and it has been viewed 89,519 times.   It looks like no other thread (digging back only the first 10 pages of Valpo Basketball) comes close to this one in either replies or views.  Just thought that interesting.
Albeit half of these posts were in 2013, and half this year. Still, even as two threads, it's pretty long.
The "More Stats" link on the front page confirms it.
Awesome. I didn't know that "More Stats" page existed. Not surprising to see Recruiting and MVC dominates fan interest. Was taking a look at the 'Top 10 Posters' and valpotx is the leader but LaPorteAveApostle is a close 2nd place at 4455(!). Where has LaPorteAveApostle been the last year or so since I've joined the forum? It's been a big year for Valpo Basketball. Needs to jump on the message board again. I'm sure he'd have some interesting insight. Also where has ValpoDad89 gone?

Who is LaPorteAveApostle?

valpotx

Uh oh, is Saders back in the form of 'smitty?'  Saders old buddy, how ya been? :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

smitty

Nope just a fan. My son went to Valpo. Just check in from time to time. Just sort of a casual fan.

Really enjoy the message board talk. The Valpo Forums are so much more rational and educated then the typical fan boards. Keep up the great work guys!

oklahomamick

Maybe Smits has a really good experience at Valpo and Dad donates some NBA money to the Crusaders Basketball program.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: smitty on April 19, 2017, 09:51:18 PM
Nope just a fan. My son went to Valpo. Just check in from time to time. Just sort of a casual fan.

Really enjoy the message board talk. The Valpo Forums are so much more rational and educated then the typical fan boards. Keep up the great work guys!

Tom Smith??  Todd Smith??   ;)  :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

There is an entire thread on the mvc forum promoting the Dakotas or at least two of the Dakotas for membership into the mvc. 

Summit League will pass MVC if you take Murray & Valpo over NDSU & SDSU. you can save this post. :Bam:

RPi's without (WSU,Creighton)

Past five years(average RPI)
NDSU: 86.8(33 best RPI, 125 worst)
SDSU: 95.4(28, 155)

UNI: 88(14, 162)
ISU: 92.4(33, 136)
Evansville: 144.6(93, 216)
ISUB: 148(72, 233)
SIU: 193.2(138, 276)
MSU: 196.4(87, 248)
Loyolla: 211.6(123, 292)
Drake: 245.6(144, 326)
Bradley: 254.8(191, 306)

VALPO RPI average last 5 years is 83.8

16-17   79
15-16   31
14-15   56
13-14   195
12-13   58

Not only is the best out of the HL, but it's also the best out of the current mvc members.  Oh yes, it's also better than the Dakotas and all the other potential candidates.   :-X
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

I saw that part of the discussion.  It was driven by one Bison fan.  Great job showing how Valpo compares!

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 20, 2017, 08:56:56 AM
There is an entire thread on the mvc forum promoting the Dakotas or at least two of the Dakotas for membership into the mvc. 

Summit League will pass MVC if you take Murray & Valpo over NDSU & SDSU. you can save this post. :Bam:

RPi's without (WSU,Creighton)

Past five years(average RPI)
NDSU: 86.8(33 best RPI, 125 worst)
SDSU: 95.4(28, 155)

UNI: 88(14, 162)
ISU: 92.4(33, 136)
Evansville: 144.6(93, 216)
ISUB: 148(72, 233)
SIU: 193.2(138, 276)
MSU: 196.4(87, 248)
Loyolla: 211.6(123, 292)
Drake: 245.6(144, 326)
Bradley: 254.8(191, 306)

VALPO RPI average last 5 years is 83.8

16-17   79
15-16   31
14-15   56
13-14   195
12-13   58

Not only is the best out of the HL, but it's also the best out of the current mvc members.  Oh yes, it's also better than the Dakotas and all the other potential candidates.   :-X

Here's another telling metric for Mid Majors -
Top 100 RPI finishes in the past 5 years:

5 Top 100 Finishes - None
4 Top 100 Finishes - Valpo, Belmont
3 Top 100 Finishes - N. Iowa, N. Dakota State, S. Dakota State
2 Top 100 Finishes - IL State, IN State, Green Bay
1 Top 100 Finishes - Evansville, MO State, Murray State, Cleveland State, Detroit, NKU
0 Top 100 Finishes - Loyola, Bradley, Drake, UMKC, Omaha, Oakland, Milwaukee, UIC, YSU, Wright State

And for the MVC brain surgeons who think UMKC is a good idea:
RPI
2016-17  184
2015-16  286
2014-15  296
2013-14  249
2012-13  284

One of the worst programs in D-1 over the past 5 seasons, "...but they have nice facilities and bring a new market into play!"   

Maybe they're talking about a new supermarket chain?? ::)

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on April 20, 2017, 10:44:09 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on April 20, 2017, 08:56:56 AMThere is an entire thread on the mvc forum promoting the Dakotas or at least two of the Dakotas for membership into the mvc. Summit League will pass MVC if you take Murray & Valpo over NDSU & SDSU. you can save this post. :Bam: RPi's without (WSU,Creighton) Past five years(average RPI) NDSU: 86.8(33 best RPI, 125 worst) SDSU: 95.4(28, 155) UNI: 88(14, 162) ISU: 92.4(33, 136) Evansville: 144.6(93, 216) ISUB: 148(72, 233) SIU: 193.2(138, 276) MSU: 196.4(87, 248) Loyolla: 211.6(123, 292) Drake: 245.6(144, 326) Bradley: 254.8(191, 306) VALPO RPI average last 5 years is 83.8 16-17   79 15-16   31 14-15   56 13-14   195 12-13   58 Not only is the best out of the HL, but it's also the best out of the current mvc members.  Oh yes, it's also better than the Dakotas and all the other potential candidates.   :-X
Here's another telling metric for Mid Majors - Top 100 RPI finishes in the past 5 years: 5 Top 100 Finishes - None 4 Top 100 Finishes - Valpo, Belmont 3 Top 100 Finishes - N. Iowa, N. Dakota State, S. Dakota State 2 Top 100 Finishes - IL State, IN State, 1 Top 100 Finishes - Evansville, MO State, Murray State 0 Top 100 Finishes - Loyola, Bradley, Drake

Where are the HL teams?
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 20, 2017, 10:52:15 AM
Quote from: wh on April 20, 2017, 10:44:09 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on April 20, 2017, 08:56:56 AMThere is an entire thread on the mvc forum promoting the Dakotas or at least two of the Dakotas for membership into the mvc. Summit League will pass MVC if you take Murray & Valpo over NDSU & SDSU. you can save this post. :Bam: RPi's without (WSU,Creighton) Past five years(average RPI) NDSU: 86.8(33 best RPI, 125 worst) SDSU: 95.4(28, 155) UNI: 88(14, 162) ISU: 92.4(33, 136) Evansville: 144.6(93, 216) ISUB: 148(72, 233) SIU: 193.2(138, 276) MSU: 196.4(87, 248) Loyolla: 211.6(123, 292) Drake: 245.6(144, 326) Bradley: 254.8(191, 306) VALPO RPI average last 5 years is 83.8 16-17   79 15-16   31 14-15   56 13-14   195 12-13   58 Not only is the best out of the HL, but it's also the best out of the current mvc members.  Oh yes, it's also better than the Dakotas and all the other potential candidates.   :-X
Here's another telling metric for Mid Majors - Top 100 RPI finishes in the past 5 years: 5 Top 100 Finishes - None 4 Top 100 Finishes - Valpo, Belmont 3 Top 100 Finishes - N. Iowa, N. Dakota State, S. Dakota State 2 Top 100 Finishes - IL State, IN State, 1 Top 100 Finishes - Evansville, MO State, Murray State 0 Top 100 Finishes - Loyola, Bradley, Drake

Where are the HL teams?

I went back and added them - just for you.   ;)

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on April 16, 2017, 10:28:36 AM
I have said it before, but I just don't get why some MVC fans are enamored with UMKC.  They have never proven to draw any type of fan passion/attendance, even when the Mid-Con tourney was in their city!  It is a commuter school, and many people don't even know that they play sports...

Since then they got some decent publicity from a television show called Switched at Birth that was set in Kansas City. It was about a former Kansas City Royals baseball player whose daughter was switched at birth with the daughter of an Hispanic lady from the inner city of KC. The daughter that the Hispanic lady ends up with is deaf. The show has the actor Marlee Matlin, a deaf actress who has influenced the show greatly to somehow show what it is like to be deaf in the midwest. The other more popular actor is Lea Thompson from the Back to the Future series of films. She played Michael J Fox's mother in the Back to the Future movies. Lea Thompson plays the wife of the KC Royals' former player. UMKC was, for a period, used quite extensively as a location for this TV show. Even once having a football program which everybody in the midwest knows they don't actually have. But, of course, if Hollywood says you have a football team, even for a short period, you have a football team. :-)

justducky

HL had 2 this year with NKU at RPI 85. Only VU in 15-16 at 31.  Us at 56 and GB at 60 in 14-15. GB at 69 and CSU at 91 in 13-14.   2012-13   ???  Can't find it. Did we have any top 100 HL company that year?

Oakland finished at 102 this year and 105 in 15-16. Close--- But no cigar!

FWalum

Found this interesting from the MVC forum.  Could this be the first leak....  Document seems to be legit, I just wonder why they are giving to the news media?
QuoteSee item # 4 on the attached Agenda for tomorrow's special meeting of the Murray State Board of Regents
http://www.murraystate.edu/Libraries/Board_of_Regents/MediaAnnouncement42117.pdf
Topic: Intercollegiate Athletics*

*(Requires Board of Regents Action)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show