• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on April 23, 2017, 10:34:28 PMTo be honest I think these scouting ranking are not very accurate and little overrated, but I'm not going to lie I get exited when we land 3 star guys and I think Joe Burton was the first 4 star player we have ever landed. Alec Peters (arguably the greatest player in Valpo's history, definitely on Mt. Rushmore) was an un-ranked player by both Rivals and ESPN. But Scouts gave ranked him a 3 star, but many knew he was a program changing recruit coming in his freshman year, but he definitely surpassed most everyones expectations. Really was a testament to his hard work and the coaching staff developing him. Alec really noticeably got better every single year.
Agreeing with VU2014, recruiting rankings don't really mean a whole lot, but for those MVC fans afraid that VU might be taking a downward trend after Byrce and Alec, the team we put on the floor for the 2018-2019 season will probably be the highest "ranking" team from a recruiting aspect in VU history.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

ISUBird

Quote from: FWalum on April 23, 2017, 10:41:11 PM
Quote from: ISUBird on April 23, 2017, 10:19:57 PMLoyola just got a 4 star recruit as well.  What is this name of your guy?
Ryan Fazekas will be a transfer from Providence with 2 years remaining after sitting next year.  ESPN had him ranked #29 at his position and he was the #4 player coming out of Indiana his senior year 2015.

Sitting out a year is unfortunate.

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on April 23, 2017, 01:20:21 PMAmended: I should have also said that people in Milwaukee get excited about beer, cheese, beer, pretzel rolls, cheese curds, beer, bratwurst, fish fries and beer. There are many options for all of those very close to where UWM plays.

I heard they like to brew beer in Milwaukee too.  ;D

bbtds

Quote from: wh on April 23, 2017, 11:52:06 AMI took your point to be that someone from the Board needs to step up and put some skin in the game.  I'm saying that in order for that to happen, President Heckler first needs to make the business case to the Board that an upgraded ARC is critical to elevating the profile of VU basketball, and in turn an elevated bb profile is critical to elevating the Valpo brand. Recognizing upgrading the ARC as a strategic investment, rather than  cosmetic fluff, could solicit a much more positive response. Unfortunately, mh's background is all at level where intercollegiate athletics is just a sideline. He only knows what he knows.

I'm guessing MH has tried and his vision for athletics is falling on deaf ears. I believe MH will keep trying in the future when other board members expire.

justducky

Quote from: ISUBird on April 23, 2017, 10:54:19 PM
Quote from: ISUBird on April 23, 2017, 10:19:57 PMLoyola just got a 4 star recruit as well.  What is this name of your guy?
Ryan Fazekas will be a transfer from Providence with 2 years remaining after sitting next year.  ESPN had him ranked #29 at his position and he was the #4 player coming out of Indiana his senior year 2015.

I don't mind having one worthwhile transfer sitting out every year. But three? Don't even think about it! Case in point VU 16-17. Started with 10 eligible scholarship players then watched as the seniors one by one fell to the wayside. Thats how you get a walk on logging 22 minutes a game by seasons end. Don't try this at home. It is not Normal.

bbtds

Quote from: ISUBird on April 23, 2017, 10:54:19 PM
Larry Bird sat out the 75-76 season due to transfer. Did anyone say Larry having to sit out a year was unfortunate?

ISUBird

Quote from: VU2014 on April 23, 2017, 10:34:28 PM
Joe Burton is our 4 star guy. He was a RS Transfer this year and he was transferring from Oklahoma State.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/joe-burton--2

Also Ryan Fazekas just announced he's transferring to Valpo from Providence today. He was ranked a 4 star recruiting coming out of HS by ESPN.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ryan-fazekas

To be honest I think these scouting ranking are not very accurate and little overrated, but I'm not going to lie I get excited when we land 3 star guys and I think Joe Burton was the first 4 star player we have ever landed. Alec Peters (arguably the greatest player in Valpo's history, definitely on Mt. Rushmore) was an un-ranked player by both Rivals and ESPN. But Scouts gave ranked him a 3 star, but many knew he was a program changing recruit coming in his freshman year, but he definitely surpassed most everyones expectations. Really was a testament to his hard work and the coaching staff developing him. Alec really noticeably got better every single year.

I didn't notice your comment about Joe Burton.  It's exciting to have two players at that level.  It looks like good times ahead.

Quote from: justducky on April 23, 2017, 11:15:39 PM
I don't mind having one worthwhile transfer sitting out every year. But three? Don't even think about it! Case in point VU 16-17. Started with 10 eligible scholarship players then watched as the seniors one by one fell to the wayside. Thats how you get a walk on logging 22 minutes a game by seasons end. Don't try this at home. It is not Normal.

That certainly would be bad.  Who do you think will be starting for you guys next year?

Quote from: bbtds on April 23, 2017, 11:18:21 PM
Larry Bird sat out the 75-76 season due to transfer. Did anyone say Larry having to sit out a year was unfortunate?

Why wouldn't that also be unfortunate?  If you know someone is good you obviously would want to have them play right away.

M

It is unfortunate that he will have to sit a year.  Unfortunately he will get to practice with the team and not miss a beat when he becomes eligible.  Unfortunately he will have a year to get stronger and healthier in the weight room.  Unfortunate for our conference foes that he will have to sit a year.

vu72

Quote from: ISUBird on April 24, 2017, 08:37:52 AMWho do you think will be starting for you guys next year?

At this point I would think it is Joe Burton, because he is Joe Burton.  Bakari Evelyn, because our starting point guard is transferring because of Bakari Evelyn.  One of our 7 footers at the 5, (pretty equal, both started games last year), Tevonn Walker (second team all conference last year) and possibly Parker Hazen at the 4.  He is a freshman but is very athletic and is used to playing on the inside.  That would make us 7', 6'8", 6'6", 6'3" and 6'2" for starters.

Coming off the bench we bring in another 7' sophomore, a 6'1" senior, a 6'5" sophomore who started games near the end of last year, a 6'2" explosive sophomore and a 6'7" freshman. again, used to playing on the inside and very athletic or 6'6" Markus Golder who is a JC transfer.  Some have indicated his ability will put him in the starting lineup which would move Hazen to the second team.  That's 11 deep with good size and athleticism.  I'm getting excited!!   :dance:

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: ISUBird on April 24, 2017, 08:37:52 AM
I didn't notice your comment about Joe Burton.  It's exciting to have two players at that level.  It looks like good times ahead.

As noted on another thread, Valpo will have 5 3&4-Star players on next year's roster (6 players > 2):

4-Star Joe Burton 6-6
3.3-Star Ryan Fazekus 6-8 (4 and two 3's)
3-Star Parker Hazen 6-7
3-Star Bakari Evelyn 6-2
3-Star Derrik Smits 7-2
2.5 Star Micah Bradford 6-2

Would you happen to know how that compares with MVC teams?

RacerJoeD

Just a quick update. I am hearing rumor (TIFWIW) about visits this week (Tuesday in Murray, Wednesday in Valpo prior to a BOR meeting).

Have no clue if this is true, but thought you guys might run it down with people you may know.

crusader05

I believe it's pretty much confirmed that the MVC will be on campus this week for Tours/Board Meetings.

Which means that this thread has come full circle and is once again completely relevant/true to it's original title

RacerJoeD

So you guys can confirm that 1) there is a Board meeting for you guys 2) it is wednesday 3) MVC officials will be on your campus?

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: RacerJoeD on April 24, 2017, 10:16:12 AM
So you guys can confirm that 1) there is a Board meeting for you guys 2) it is wednesday 3) MVC officials will be on your campus?

We have a Board Meeting this week and I almost guarantee you that they will privately be addressing the potential switch to MVC.

Nobody can confirm that the MVC will be on campus this week or at the Board Meeting. UNIFTW mentioned that he heard someone mention the MVC will be on campus on twitter. Nobody from Valpo is publicly acknowledging the possible MVC visits yet.

It's reasonable to assume that the MVC officials will be taking campus visits to Valpo, Murray State and the other potential schools at some point in the next few weeks.

oklahomamick

Hope we present well and say all the right things. 

MVC - North
Drake
UNI
UWM
Loyola
Valpo
Bradley

MVC - South
Missouri State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Indian State
Evansville
Murray State

Problem is all but one private school in same division.....But regardless the above is much more exciting than current HL
CRUSADERS!!!

ISUBird

Quote from: M on April 24, 2017, 08:38:59 AM
It is unfortunate that he will have to sit a year.  Unfortunately he will get to practice with the team and not miss a beat when he becomes eligible.  Unfortunately he will have a year to get stronger and healthier in the weight room.  Unfortunate for our conference foes that he will have to sit a year.

I disagree, not playing in a real game for a year isn't good.

Quote from: vu72 on April 24, 2017, 08:57:34 AM
  At this point I would think it is Joe Burton, because he is Joe Burton.  Bakari Evelyn, because our starting point guard is transferring because of Bakari Evelyn.  One of our 7 footers at the 5, (pretty equal, both started games last year), Tevonn Walker (second team all conference last year) and possibly Parker Hazen at the 4.  He is a freshman but is very athletic and is used to playing on the inside.  That would make us 7', 6'8", 6'6", 6'3" and 6'2" for starters.

Coming off the bench we bring in another 7' sophomore, a 6'1" senior, a 6'5" sophomore who started games near the end of last year, a 6'2" explosive sophomore and a 6'7" freshman. again, used to playing on the inside and very athletic or 6'6" Markus Golder who is a JC transfer.  Some have indicated his ability will put him in the starting lineup which would move Hazen to the second team.  That's 11 deep with good size and athleticism.  I'm getting excited!!   :dance:

Two players at seven feet could be impressive if they can be your top players.

Quote from: wh on April 24, 2017, 09:27:17 AM
As noted on another thread, Valpo will have 5 3&4-Star players on next year's roster (6 players > 2):

4-Star Joe Burton 6-6
3.3-Star Ryan Fazekus 6-8 (4 and two 3's)
3-Star Parker Hazen 6-7
3-Star Bakari Evelyn 6-2
3-Star Derrik Smits 7-2
2.5 Star Micah Bradford 6-2

Would you happen to know how that compares with MVC teams?

This thread talks about ISU's possible line-up, but I wouldn't know for the rest of the conference.

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 24, 2017, 10:45:03 AM

MVC - North
Drake
UNI
UWM
Loyola
Valpo
Bradley

MVC - South
Missouri State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Indian State
Evansville
Murray State

Problem is all but one private school in same division.....But regardless the above is much more exciting than current HL

If ISU and Bradley don't play each other twice a year there will be endless complaints from both sides.

I'm also not sold on Milwaukee.

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 24, 2017, 10:45:03 AM

MVC - North
Drake
UNI
UWM
Loyola
Valpo
Bradley

MVC - South
Missouri State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Indian State
Evansville
Murray State

You have to Pair IL St and Bradley in the same division. Either way you put the divisions together some schools won't be happy & will need travel more. Unhappy members is never good for the Conf.

North:
-Loyola
-Valpo
-UWM
-Illinois State
-Bradley
-Northern Iowa

South:
-Missouri State
-Murray State
-Evansville
-Indiana State
-Southern Illinois
-Drake

Only thing is Drake would get screwed(& be unhappy)

Or

North:
-Loyola
-Valpo
-UWM
-Illinois State
-Bradley
-Indiana State

South:
-Missouri State
-Murray State
-Evansville
-Southern Illinois
-Drake
-Northern Iowa

Provides the South with a travel partner UNI/Drake

Just posted this in the MVC Fan Board:

The best schools available are Valpo and Murray State. So go 11 teams (play a 20 game Conference regular season) and wait a year or two and make a school like Milwaukee or some other school earn their invite to the MVC. Put on a 1-2 year tryout.

Maybe Belmont changes their mind or maybe the A10 slips (a team or 2 gets poached) and SLU or Dayton look else where. For SLU or Dayton to even consider the MVC is for the need improve and add the best basketball schools possible (both Valpo/Murray St) and show that the MVC can still be a 2-bid league. Still unlikely the MVC lands SLU or Dayton. Valpo/Murray St are a shot in the arm and programs like IL St/UNI need to keep the success going and SIU, Bradley, E-ville, IN St, MO St need to get back to historical success. The bones are there for those programs. Loyola hasn't been great, but they have stacked together back to back good recruiting classes and they will be better and surprise some fans.

UNIFTW

I want to clear up a couple things about my twitter

1. I'm not a journalist. I have no reputation at stake. I'm not a super secret inside source. I could be a billion percent wrong. However, I am really good at putting messages from a bunch of people together - and asking the right people behind the scenes. I heard similar enough stories privately that made me want to go with it.

2. I have 168 followers, about 15 of which from this weekend. I have a decent track record on smaller things but don't take anything I say as absolute insider knowledge.

3. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Sorry. I am an opinionated fan. Never claimed to be correct. I'll admit I was wrong and in a couple weeks no one will remember me because I'll be unfollowed by the new followers and my timeline will fill up with my tweets so fast that finding what I said will be hard.

oklahomamick

Maybe I'm pushing and hoping for Milwaukee only to screw LeCrone.....and the HL.
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: UNIFTW on April 24, 2017, 10:55:43 AM
I want to clear up a couple things about my twitter

1. I'm not a journalist. I have no reputation at stake. I'm not a super secret inside source. I could be a billion percent wrong. However, I am really good at putting messages from a bunch of people together - and asking the right people behind the scenes. I heard similar enough stories privately that made me want to go with it.

2. I have 168 followers, about 15 of which from this weekend. I have a decent track record on smaller things but don't take anything I say as absolute insider knowledge.

3. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Sorry. I am an opinionated fan. Never claimed to be correct. I'll admit I was wrong and in a couple weeks no one will remember me because I'll be unfollowed by the new followers and my timeline will fill up with my tweets so fast that finding what I said will be hard.

No worries. I think we all appreciate you for sharing what you hear. I think everyone knows what you are relaying isn't "fact" but more or less what you are hearing.

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 24, 2017, 10:57:10 AM
Maybe I'm pushing and hoping for Milwaukee only to screw LeCrone.....and the HL.

The OU fans are in a bit of panic right now. They left the Summit to come to the HL and join us and now we're possibly on the way out and maybe MKE is on the way out also.

The potential replacement list for the HL are not pretty. Omaha, maybe Denver and IPFW and IUPUI... (by no means would I want to be a conference with IPFW or IUPUI). I highly recommend the HL don't take the latter two.

UNIFTW

Also, UNI/Drake won't be split if there is divisions - and no reason to go to divisions with 11.

Bradley/ISUr and Drake/UNI are two games that won't be messed with going forward. Those must be played twice per year. As much as Drake's RPI hurts UNI that is a non-negotiable.

Dave_2010

What about an East/West split?

UWM
Loyola
Valpo
Indiana St
Evansville
Murray St

Bradley
Illinois St
So Illinois
No Iowa
Drake
Missouri St

As an aside, if we're bringing a second HL school with us, I'd prefer Green Bay, Wright State, or even Oakland to UWM. In no way is this a rumor, just my $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2014

Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 24, 2017, 11:51:49 AM
What about an East/West split?

UWM
Loyola
Valpo
Indiana St
Evansville
Murray State

Bradley
Illinois St
So Illinois
No Iowa
Drake
Missouri St

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not the most Cost Effective Travel doing East vs West divisions.