• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-á-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

VU2014

Mark Adams facebook post about Murray State: https://www.facebook.com/enthusiadams

https://twitter.com/EnthusiAdams/status/857192026223378432

Murray State Racers Serious Contender to Replace Shockers
(Valpo, Omaha and Milwaukeee also among new member candidates)

By Mark Adams

A source close to the negotiations between the Missouri Valley Conference and potential new members has confirmed that MVC officials are visiting multiple campuses this week, The Murray State Racers from the OVC are the probable top choice to replace Wichita State who left the MVC for the American Athletic Conference earlier this month.

Other site visits have been confirmed for this week as MVC officials will visit Valparaiso University and University of Nebraska-Omaha later this week in addition to the site visit at Murray State which has already occurred on Monday in Murray, KY.

If the MVC decides to expand beyond 10 members (including Murray State) both Valpo out of the Horizon League and Omaha out of the Summit League appear to be the leading candidates to join The Valley. Milwaukee is also being considered and their campus will also be visited this week.

The source indicated that the conference and the potential new members are discussing a relationship that would begin in the 2017-18 season for all sports.
The MVC has a regularly scheduled basketball coaches spring meeting on May 3, 2017. A final decision is expected before mid-May.

wh

Why would Murray State be more attractive than Valpo?

• They are at the very edge of the MVC's footprint. Travel time and expense for every sport for the other 9 schools would be considerably higher than traveling to Valpo.
• Their basketball program has not performed well since they changed coaches 2 years ago. Will they return to their glory years?  Who knows. We have a much better story.
•  The Loyola "we want to break into the Chicago market" thing certainly doesn't apply to Murray, KY.

So what's the tie breaker?  Is "facilities" and "commitment to Athletics" raising its ugly head again?

M

Maybe just be patient and see how it plays out over the next few weeks?

VULB#62

No way do I see Omaha as an invitee.  @Enthusiadams needs to reverify his sources.  His FB post seems to be going against mainstream thought and may just be a way to get a rise out of people and increase his visits. Information gathering visit?  Sure, why not.  Pre-bid visit?  Uh, no.  That would run counter to decades of careful practices by the second oldest and one of the most successful conferences in the country.  Omaha brings nothing now and cannot bring very much in the future (points well developed on both our board and MVCFANS).  The MVC is too experienced at this to extend a bid just to fill a slot, a slot that does not need to be filled in the first place.

Quote from: wh on April 26, 2017, 09:02:49 AM
Why would Murray State be more attractive than Valpo?

• They are at the very edge of the MVC's footprint. Travel time and expense for every sport for the other 9 schools would be considerably higher than traveling to Valpo.
• Their basketball program has not performed well since they changed coaches 2 years ago. Will they return to their glory years?  Who knows. We have a much better story.
•  The Loyola "we want to break into the Chicago market" thing certainly doesn't apply to Murray, KY.

So what's the tie breaker?  Is "facilities" and "commitment to Athletics" raising its ugly head again?

Quote from: M on April 26, 2017, 09:08:40 AM
Maybe just be patient and see how it plays out over the next few weeks?

And we need to consider the source -- a blooger with an opinion.  It serves no good purpose to get our knickers in a bunch over what some "pundit" speculates.  It also does us no good to denegrate MuSU's qualifications at this point in the process (though it was IMO done tactfully).  We already know MuSU received the first visit and we got the second one.  That does not mean that is the selection order, or maybe it is, but that is out of our control.  The main thing is we are in the thick of it and do not have any foggy idea of what criteria and notions are being used to perform the evaluation.  M is quite right -- after all the previous conjecture, now is the time for patience.

Final "Duh" Thoughts: 
If it is 10 -- The announcement will be "we have extended an invitation to ___X_____ and we want to thank all the others for their cooperation and effort."  If it is MuSU they were obviously the first choice.  Same if it is Valpo.  End of story.  If we don't get the bid, we are faced with making nice with our brothers in the HL.

If it is 11 -- The announcement will be that two schools (Valpo/MuSu or MuSU/Valpo)  have been extended invitations but with NO indication of who is the top choice.  So it really doesn't matter who was "first." 

If it is 12 -- 3 schools announced in one single announcement with no first, second or third places announced.  BUT #3 is gonna be pretty much a surprise.

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on April 26, 2017, 09:16:24 AM
Shrinking Missouri Valley Conference to evaluate Nebraska-Omaha during visit

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/shrinking-missouri-valley-conference-to-evaluate-nebraska-omaha-during-visit/

What I just said below.

Plus, there were quite a few wasted words in that article that came down to just: "Oh, BTW, the MVC is also doing an inspection of UNO while they are at it."

vu72

Why Murray over Valpo?  Possibly to replace a public school with a public school. Then again, if they are trying to balance private v. public then Valpo would be the choice.  If they were going to take two then I very much doubt they would add two publics for the balance reason.  Who knows?   ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I trust Rothstein a little more than Adams.  Rothstein indicates that Valpo is the probable first choice.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

The rumor mill on this is driving me to drink and really to just want to shutdown and not do anything until this is all resolved.

What I can say is that Omaha is a very real possibility. Everything I'm hearing indicates Valpo, Murray and Omaha (in no particular order) are the three top choices. Milwaukee is also in the mix. Then again, these are just rumors and confirming concrete facts on any of this is next to impossible. I wouldn't be shocked if Omaha is added. Not shocked at all.

a3uge

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on April 26, 2017, 09:02:49 AMWhy would Murray State be more attractive than Valpo? • They are at the very edge of the MVC's footprint. Travel time and expense for every sport for the other 9 schools would be considerably higher than traveling to Valpo. • Their basketball program has not performed well since they changed coaches 2 years ago. Will they return to their glory years?  Who knows. We have a much better story. •  The Loyola "we want to break into the Chicago market" thing certainly doesn't apply to Murray, KY. So what's the tie breaker?  Is "facilities" and "commitment to Athletics" raising its ugly head again? •

Valpo also has more sports sponsored by the conference.
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

Quote from: Pgmado on April 26, 2017, 10:19:52 AMI wouldn't be shocked if Omaha is added. Not shocked at all.

ya know what?   Omaha is on the banks of the MISSOURI RIVER.   therefore, they are in the MISSOURI VALLEY region.
so too,  is Kansas City...

Murray is on Clarks River which flows into the Ohio River just south of where the Missouri flows into Mississippi River.

sorry,

Valpo is on "Salt Creek" that flows into Lake Michigan.

valpopal

Since we are talking rumors, I am hearing that many in the MVC would not be satisfied with only one team being added to replace Wichita State since no single team mentioned would be as strong, and that would appear to be a let down. There is some support for adding two teams, which also would satisfy those who want to keep a true round-robin conference schedule (though it would mean 20 games in conference). If two are added, they would be Murray State and Valparaiso. Finally, there is thinking that a three-team addition with divisions would create excitement, though some would not like the scheduling. If three teams are added, the third team would be either Omaha or Milwaukee, and surprisingly Omaha seems to be gaining momentum. Anyway, these are just rumors heard from people who usually are somewhat in the know, but who admit to not being directly involved or having no specific personal knowledge this time, so I'm not sure this clarifies much. Nevertheless, the speculation is fun, especially when Valpo is in the mix.

oklahomamick

Which one has been more stressful and antagonizing?

Bryce Drew rumors of leaving last year

Valpo rumors on joining the MVC
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

I find this more stressful. We knew Bryce was leaving at some point.

valpotx

MVC rumors are more stressful, as that is the pinnacle of our long-term home, barring any Midwestern private school conference that forms, a la the Big East. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

bigmosmithfan1

This is way more stressful. Bryce was going to keep getting mentioned for Power 5 jobs and everyone knew it was a matter of time before he got an offer too good to refuse. This will feel like a gigantic missed opportunity to elevate the program long-term if it doesn't come to pass.

oklahomamick

In the 60 pages of this thread, I'm sure I can find it, but someone know what percentage of mvc presidents have to vote pro Valpo in order to get an invitation? 

I'm sure we would get Drake, Bradley and Evansville vote.....But thats only 3 of 9
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

I believe 7 of 9.  I can't find the post either.

VUBBFan

Quote from: talksalot on April 26, 2017, 10:33:39 AM
Quote from: Pgmado on April 26, 2017, 10:19:52 AMI wouldn't be shocked if Omaha is added. Not shocked at all.
ya know what?   Omaha is on the banks of the MISSOURI RIVER.   therefore, they are in the MISSOURI VALLEY region. so too,  is Kansas City... Murray is on Clarks River which flows into the Ohio River just south of where the Missouri flows into Mississippi River. sorry, Valpo is on "Salt Creek" that flows into Lake Michigan.
Technicality I believe that the campus is just south of the St Lawrence continental divide that runs through Valparaiso. North side of town go to the Atlantic, South side goes to the Mississippi. So VU is part of MVC. Sorry I just couldn't let this go. LOL

cornonthe

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 26, 2017, 12:35:29 PM
In the 60 pages of this thread, I'm sure I can find it, but someone know what percentage of mvc presidents have to vote pro Valpo in order to get an invitation? 

I'm sure we would get Drake, Bradley and Evansville vote.....But thats only 3 of 9

3.3.1.3 Be elected by a three-fourths (3/4) vote of the Presidents Council of the Conference at any regular or special meeting called to consider such action.

.75 x 9 = 6.75 = 7

http://www.mvc.org/manual/constitution.pdf

wh

UWM considering move to Missouri Valley Conference

"It's unclear at this point how a potential move would shake out. One possible scenario would be the Missouri Valley adding one school for the 2017-'18 academic year and then two more for 2018-'19. If that were the case, it's likely UWM would be part of that second round of expansion in 2018-'19 should it get the nod."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uwm/2017/04/26/uwm-considering-move-missouri-valley-conference/100937130/

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on April 26, 2017, 05:25:50 PM

"It's unclear at this point how a potential move would shake out. One possible scenario would be the Missouri Valley adding one school for the 2017-'18 academic year and then two more for 2018-'19. If that were the case, it's likely UWM would be part of that second round of expansion in 2018-'19 should it get the nod."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uwm/2017/04/26/uwm-considering-move-missouri-valley-conference/100937130/

If UWM gets the invite and not VU it's for reasons outside of the basketball product I would think.

a3uge

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 26, 2017, 05:32:10 PM
Quote from: wh on April 26, 2017, 05:25:50 PM

If UWM gets the invite and not VU it's for reasons outside of the basketball product I would think.
"UWM considering move to Missouri Valley Conference"

Lol, that headline.