• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

bigmosmithfan1

The only problem with that setup (unbalanced schedule with expected top teams avoiding expected cellar dwellers) is that sometimes predictions don't pan out. What happens if a top team has a down year? A lower-division team unexpectedly makes the leap? You could actually be hurting the conference's chances then. Also, I can't see ADs being willing to give up home games vs. top teams (i.e., likely to be their best conference game attendance) more than once every few years.

valpotx

Quote from: ISUBird on April 28, 2017, 10:25:04 PM
Quote from: valpotx on April 28, 2017, 05:21:16 PM
Someone add Illinois State's RPI list.  They have some really cocky fans, and seem to be the most outspoken against adding Valpo...

You're basing this off of what?

Several people on the MVC board that seem to be tied to Illinois State, as well as on your forum.  It seems like Missouri State and Illinois State have the most people doubting our capability to continue our success, and don't like that we are a small school in the middle of NW IN.  You have been cordial, but I have read some bad things from Redbird fans about us, and I really don't understand it.  It reminds me of some of the comments that were being made about us before we joined the HL, before we proceeded to own that league, just as we did the Mid-Con/Summit :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

ISUBird

Quote from: valpotx on April 28, 2017, 11:04:40 PM
Quote from: ISUBird on April 28, 2017, 10:25:04 PM
Quote from: valpotx on April 28, 2017, 05:21:16 PM
Someone add Illinois State's RPI list.  They have some really cocky fans, and seem to be the most outspoken against adding Valpo...

You're basing this off of what?

Several people on the MVC board that seem to be tied to Illinois State, as well as on your forum.  It seems like Missouri State and Illinois State have the most people doubting our capability to continue our success, and don't like that we are a small school in the middle of NW IN.  You have been cordial, but I have read some bad things from Redbird fans about us, and I really don't understand it.  It reminds me of some of the comments that were being made about us before we joined the HL, before we proceeded to own that league, just as we did the Mid-Con/Summit :).

So most outspoken is two or three people max from what I've seen and nothing really negative. And your post is more cocky that most of what I see from any ISU fan.

valpotx

Recently, you would be correct.  However, when we were first mentioned, there were several Missouri State and Illinois State posters that were questioning why we would be considered.  Yes, a lot of people have been positive.  However, the negativity has stuck with me, since I remember that same crap from some of the HL schools when we were first mentioned 10-11 years ago.  Having played against many of the schools in the HL and MVC when we were in the Mid-Con (baseball), I remember that same attitude when we took the field, before we would either win or barely lose versus those teams.  We were always overlooked by the HL and MVC.  My 'cocky' attitude comes from proving others wrong, and relishing when their predictions are incorrect about Valpo.  Even at 35, I still have that underdog mentality ;).
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on April 29, 2017, 02:37:46 AM
Recently, you would be correct.  However, when we were first mentioned, there were several Missouri State and Illinois State posters that were questioning why we would be considered.  Yes, a lot of people have been positive.  However, the negativity has stuck with me, since I remember that same crap from some of the HL schools when we were first mentioned 10-11 years ago.  Having played against many of the schools in the HL and MVC when we were in the Mid-Con (baseball), I remember that same attitude when we took the field, before we would either win or barely lose versus those teams.  We were always overlooked by the HL and MVC.  My 'cocky' attitude comes from proving others wrong, and relishing when their predictions are incorrect about Valpo.  Even at 35, I still have that underdog mentality ;).

If you're 35 then you wouldn't have played in the HL?  I'm 34 and my senior year we were still in the Mid Continent Conference. 

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 29, 2017, 06:23:15 AM

If you're 35 then you wouldn't have played in the HL?  I'm 34 and my senior year we were still in the Mid Continent Conference. 

That's not what he said.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on April 29, 2017, 06:56:00 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 29, 2017, 06:23:15 AM

That's not what he said.

And boom goes the dynamite...

Solid catch, I missed the "played against".

oklahomamick

There are a lot of differences between Oakland and Valpo.  There are similarities too (both had success at mid-con and took their promotion and have succeeded at the next level too, although Valpo's has been greater).  One difference is Oakland is very aggressive in getting better and promoting basketball.  They are not shy about it either.  Does anyone remember this?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7911693/oakland-wants-take-butler-place-horizon-league 

"I think we've proven ourselves," Kampe said. "If you look at the last two years, we'd rank in the top third in the Horizon in attendance and RPI. Basketball is the flagship of that league so I'd think we'd help keep their RPI consistent after they lose Butler. - Kampe

"And from a travel standpoint, we're right in the middle of their footprint. Teams could play Detroit and us on a Thursday and Saturday and wouldn't even have to change hotels." - Kampe

Athletic Director, Tracy Huth, has made it clear that the school is "certainly interested in going to the Horizon League."

Kampe said he has talked to coaches in the Horizon League and all have been supportive of adding his program.

Sometimes I wish we would be a little more aggressive.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 29, 2017, 08:35:52 AM
There are a lot of differences between Oakland and Valpo.  There are similarities too (both had success at mid-con and took their promotion and have succeeded at the next level too, although Valpo's has been greater).  One difference is Oakland is very aggressive in getting better and promoting basketball.  They are not shy about it either.  Does anyone remember this?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7911693/oakland-wants-take-butler-place-horizon-league 

"I think we've proven ourselves," Kampe said. "If you look at the last two years, we'd rank in the top third in the Horizon in attendance and RPI. Basketball is the flagship of that league so I'd think we'd help keep their RPI consistent after they lose Butler. - Kampe

"And from a travel standpoint, we're right in the middle of their footprint. Teams could play Detroit and us on a Thursday and Saturday and wouldn't even have to change hotels." - Kampe

Athletic Director, Tracy Huth, has made it clear that the school is "certainly interested in going to the Horizon League."

Kampe said he has talked to coaches in the Horizon League and all have been supportive of adding his program.

Sometimes I wish we would be a little more aggressive.

Not sure what you are looking for.  Kampe is a self-promoter and loves the media.  Bryce certainly didn't have that personality and my guess is Matt doesn't either.  Now, Kampe has certainly been "aggressive" in seeking talented but troubled transfers.  I doubt Valpo would typically seek out players like Nunn and Clark to name two.  Kampe has also had a tough time getting the talent he has to play like a team.  Oh, there is talk on the oakland board that Clark may leave. "Not fitting in". 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo49

UNI fan here.  I have enjoyed trolling on your board since the Wichita departure.  I only know what I read on the different boards, but it seems like the conference is doing a good job and may not screw this one up.  My dad graduated from Valpo on the GI Bill after WWII, so I have always had a tie and fond spot for Valpo, and yes, I'm old.

I don't think you should get too worked up about posts questioning adding you guys, even I wasn't sure right away, but after learning a little more about your program I am really excited about the possibility of you guys joining, as are most mvc fans.  It's a process even for the fans, and most everybody is still feeling that the MVC screwed up the last addition, though Loyola's recruiting looks pretty solid lately.  Much worse things were said about UNI when we joined the conference.   

I also am intrigued with Milwaukee as well.  I feel like the combination and Valpo, Milwaukee and Loyola will increase the Mo Valley's ability to recruit at a high level in Chicago.  I don't have delusions about the average fan being interested, but commits will be able to have a large number of games in or close to Chicago family and friends.

Give me Valpo, Murray St. and UWM and I think the conference is as stronger than it was last year with Wichita. 

wh

Quote from: Valpo49 on April 29, 2017, 11:38:57 AM
    UNI fan here.  I have enjoyed trolling on your board since the Wichita departure.  I only know what I read on the different boards, but it seems like the conference is doing a good job and may not screw this one up.  My dad graduated from Valpo on the GI Bill after WWII, so I have always had a tie and fond spot for Valpo, and yes, I'm old.

I don't think you should get too worked up about posts questioning adding you guys, even I wasn't sure right away, but after learning a little more about your program I am really excited about the possibility of you guys joining, as are most mvc fans.  It's a process even for the fans, and most everybody is still feeling that the MVC screwed up the last addition, though Loyola's recruiting looks pretty solid lately.  Much worse things were said about UNI when we joined the conference.   

I also am intrigued with Milwaukee as well.  I feel like the combination and Valpo, Milwaukee and Loyola will increase the Mo Valley's ability to recruit at a high level in Chicago.  I don't have delusions about the average fan being interested, but commits will be able to have a large number of games in or close to Chicago family and friends.

Give me Valpo, Murray St. and UWM and I think the conference is as stronger than it was last year with Wichita. 

"Valpo 49" in memory of your Dad is very cool and thanks for your vote of confidence! Welcome to the board!

IndyValpo

Some interesting things...our women's soccer team aparently played in the MVC in the 90's according to Wikipedia. Also there are only 3 schools that play men's tennis. Those schools will play in the Summit next year. Murray does not have it either. I mention this because currently it is probably our best sport. It will be curious to see what we do with it. Nor is men's swimming a sport in the MVC.

usc4valpo

wh, I have a bad feeling the Valpo administration will think small and reject an invite to the MVC when given one. The university owes the basketball program some serious love after all these years.

C'mon Valpo administration, please for all of us do not mess this up.

usc4valpo

In reallity, what reason do ISU and MoSt fans have a right to be uppity? What have they done recently? Seriously?

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 29, 2017, 08:35:52 AMOne difference is Oakland is very aggressive in getting better and promoting basketball.  They are not shy about it either.  Does anyone remember this?

From the article
"I think an Oakland-Detroit rivalry would be huge in southeast Michigan," he [Kampe] said. "When we played, there would be full houses, we'd be on the front page of the Detroit News and Free Press. There also would be television exposure that would help both schools and the Horizon.

I wonder how that's worked out for them?

valpotx

MoSt used to kick our butt back in the Mid-Con days, when they were known as SW Mo St.  People on their board still remember that time, versus our recent 4-0 record over them in the last 6-7 years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Kampe might be good at promoting his program, but they haven't had a top 100 RPI season for 6 straight years now.

usc4valpo

I kind of like the Kampmeister, he reminds me of Dick Fick and that used car salesman approach. sometimes a little show biz is good.

M

Guy in the White House agrees 🤐

Back to basketball we go...imagine we hear something sometime this next week.

VUME

Is there anyway Valpo can remain an affiliate member of the HL in mens tennis / swimming ?

cornonthe

Quote from: VUME on April 29, 2017, 04:41:41 PM
Is there anyway Valpo can remain an affiliate member of the HL in mens tennis / swimming ?
Yes, additionally, they could be an affiliated member wherever they apply and are accepted...just seems easier to keep the tennis and swimming programs where they are...

M

I wonder if keeping some programs in the HL like those mentioned above decreases the exit fee.

ISUBird

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 29, 2017, 01:32:43 PM
In reallity, what reason do ISU and MoSt fans have a right to be uppity? What have they done recently? Seriously?

I already addressed this, I think you should go back and read it.  Uppity would also be an exaggeration.

oklahomamick

Kampe's approach has led the HLT to Detroit (garantuee he uses that in his recruiting pitch).  Using this approach he gathered his resources and relationships to find Olympia and then sell it to LeGrone. 

You guys are crazy if you don't think the mvc fans and supporters wouldn't despise us if we walked in and finagle the tournament to be in Chicago. 
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

Thank you ISU bird for the update. All schools, including Valpo, have their uppity fans.

But I'm still pissed that you guys defeated my beloved Trojans back in 1985!