• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-á-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

crusaderjoe

Quote from: elephtheria47 on April 28, 2017, 05:50:17 PM
There's more people closer than me but thought id share what i heard this week....been hearing that the visit went well, MVC was still disappointed in the facilities but that likely isnt going to be a hold up this time. There is some resistance in the valpo admin, but the feeling is that if a MVC invite comes along that there's enough pull to make it happen. Just thought id pass that info along..this should all be wrapping up in a week or two hopefully

I'm shocked, shocked to find out that gambling is going on in here the MVC is still disappointed in our facilities!

For your friend to suggest such flotsam and jetsam is outright preposterous.

vu72

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 29, 2017, 06:28:27 PM
There's more people closer than me but thought id share what i heard this week....been hearing that the visit went well, MVC was still disappointed in the facilities but that likely isnt going to be a hold up this time. There is some resistance in the valpo admin, but the feeling is that if a MVC invite comes along that there's enough pull to make it happen. Just thought id pass that info along..this should all be wrapping up in a week or two hopefully

I'm shocked, shocked to find out that gambling is going on in here the MVC is still disappointed in our facilities!

Why?  They clearly won't want another bottom feeder whose facilities obviously are holding them back from landing any talented recruits!!   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Rather than criticizing the ARC, the MVC search committee might do well to examine why their superior basketball facilities translate into inferior recruiting results when compared to Valpo. Or why tiny Valpo has average crowds nearly as large as the MVC's much larger universities and their higher student enrollments in larger communities.

There's only 3 possible explanations: (1) MVC programs underachieve, (2) Valpo overachieves, or (3) the impact of facilities on results is greatly overstated.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on April 29, 2017, 08:34:12 PM
Rather than criticizing the ARC, the MVC search committee might do well to examine why their superior basketball facilities translate into inferior recruiting results when compared to Valpo. Or why tiny Valpo has average crowds nearly as large as the MVC's much larger universities and their higher student enrollments in larger communities.

There's only 3 possible explanations: (1) MVC programs underachieve, (2) Valpo overachieves, or (3) the impact of facilities on results is greatly overstated.

I'll take (D) All The Above...

But in all seriousness, facility size is a non problem.  But facility finishes / functionality should be improved in the next 7-10 years.

Student Rec Center MUST come first though.

oklahomamick

If uwm and valpo were to leave for greener pastures I doubt HL would be so generous to lallow both schools to park their men swimming teams in the HL. 

There is only one recovery for the HL if they lose valpo and uwm.  That is to join the summit. 

I say this because there are no other easy simple additions like Oakland was. 

IPFW - financial issues
Omaha - prefers the sl over the HL
Iupui- no baseball
Robert Morris - only 3 men's sports that would be sponsored in the HL (not one of them baseball)
Denver - not going to HL and doubt HL presidents would vote for them
Umkc - no baseball and closest school would uic.....

HL will have to abandoned baseball or merge?
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Valley Insider: Odd number makes perfect sense
The Missouri Valley Conference can't afford another disaster
Jim Connell | JCONNELL@NEWS-LEADER.COM
Updated 8 hours ago

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2017/04/30/valley-insider-odd-number-makes-perfect-sense/101073106/

vu72

With Saint Louis and Belmont out — and they surely were the first two calls Valley commissioner Doug Elgin made — there are a couple of acceptable schools in the mix.

I certainly understand why the writer thinks St. Louis was/is the number 1 pick but when he lists Belmont and then says that because they are out the Valley needs to seek out an "acceptable" replacement, I'm a bit lost.  Belmont better fit than Valpo?

He goes on to say what a mistake it was to seek out and take Loyola primarily to gain a TV and big fan base.  That is exactly why they would be thinking Belmont would be the better choice.  Granted Belmont has had much better success in basketball than Loyola but that is it.  Valpo has a better basketball record and draws much better.

I just don't like some of these guys making it sound like Valpo is going to have to be as good as they can do versus seeing us as a great addition.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

72- I agree with your points. They are also off referring Valpo would not hesitate to join - I am sure some status quo-era in the VU administration is not enthusiastic about this. I hope that will not be their letdown. In life you sometimes have to take risks and think big.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 30, 2017, 09:13:02 AM
72- I agree with your points. They are also off referring Valpo would not hesitate to join - I am sure some status quo-era in the VU administration is not enthusiastic about this. I hope that will not be their letdown. In life you sometimes have to take risks and think big.

Nice way to put it USC.  The author said something about crawling on hands and knees to St. Louis to sign a contract.  Not sure that is either accurate or a fair statement. But it is not what a writer thinks that matters -- it's what the MVC committee and university presidents think.

valpopal

Since the Board of Directors were scheduled to meet Friday and Saturday, we should be able to conclude a decision has been made by Valpo, perhaps similar to that made by the Murray State board. The longer the silence, the more likely the outcome is a move to MVC. If the VU board had decided to rebuff any invitation by the MVC or it was apparent an invitation was not coming, Valpo would need to get out in front with statements about looking forward to the future of the Horizon League. This is part of Public Relations 101.

Also, could be coincidence, but the Northwestern game was leaked the morning of the MVC directors' meeting and the Purdue game is leaked at the conclusion of the Valpo board meeting. With Northwestern and Purdue apparently added as non-conference games in the fall, the MVC has to feel assured about Valparaiso's ability to carry a strong schedule and contribute to the stature of the conference.

Finally, notice that the leaks about games with Northwestern and Purdue originated with Jon Rothstein, who was also the one who said the MVC was targeting Murray State and Valpo. Again, coincidence?

crusaderjoe

Quote from: vu72 on April 29, 2017, 07:27:47 PM

Why?  They clearly won't want another bottom feeder whose facilities obviously are holding them back from landing any talented recruits!!   :o

Boy, that's the last time I reference Casablanca on this board again. Tough crowd.

On a more serious note, some posters advised that facilities had nothing to do with the MVC passing us over last time. But we have a reference to them during this visit. So which is it? They either are part of an overall consideration or they are not.

And no offense, but the fact that VU recruits well with a bad basketball arena does not excuse the fact that we have the worst venue in the HL and will have the worst venue in the MVC if we are invited to join.

Dave_2010

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 30, 2017, 12:45:10 PM

On a more serious note, some posters advised that facilities had nothing to do with the MVC passing us over last time. But we have a reference to them during this visit. So which is it? They either are part of an overall consideration or they are not.

My hunch is that they decided for a handful of (foolish) reasons that they wanted Loyola and "facilities" was the most convenient/believable excuse they could muster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

Okjoe - I think Valpo can resolve the facility situation. My concern is the administration, not Heckler but the others still living the I Like Ike days.

the  basketball program has done more for the university than vice versa and it is time to pay the pauper and think growth.

vu72

Boy, that's the last time I reference Casablanca on this board again. Tough crowd.

And no offense, but the fact that VU recruits well with a bad basketball arena does not excuse the fact that we have the worst venue in the HL and will have the worst venue in the MVC if we are invited to join.

Why in the world would we need an excuse?  Your definition of "worst" will soon/has been defined by our opponents as "hardest" to win.  I'll take the intense rafter shaking crowd on top of you environment as opposed to Missouri State's 11,000 seat arena where they draw less than 50% on a Saturday night. 

oklahomamick

Quote from: vu72 on April 30, 2017, 01:24:59 PM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on April 28, 2017, 05:50:17 PMThere's more people closer than me but thought id share what i heard this week....been hearing that the visit went well, MVC was still disappointed in the facilities but that likely isnt going to be a hold up this time. There is some resistance in the valpo admin, but the feeling is that if a MVC invite comes along that there's enough pull to make it happen. Just thought id pass that info along..this should all be wrapping up in a week or two hopefully
I'm shocked, shocked to find out that gambling is going on in here the MVC is still disappointed in our facilities! For your friend to suggest such flotsam and jetsam is outright preposterous.
Boy, that's the last time I reference Casablanca on this board again. Tough crowd. On a more serious note, some posters advised that facilities had nothing to do with the MVC passing us over last time. But we have a reference to them during this visit. So which is it? They either are part of an overall consideration or they are not. And no offense, but the fact that VU recruits well with a bad basketball arena does not excuse the fact that we have the worst venue in the HL and will have the worst venue in the MVC if we are invited to join.
Why in the world would we need an excuse?  Your definition of "worst" will soon/has been defined by our opponents as "hardest" to win.  I'll take the intense rafter shaking crowd on top of you environment as opposed to Missouri State's 11,000 seat arena where they draw less than 50% on a Saturday night.

Well put.  I would rather have an old high school gym that is difficult for opponents to win in.  Let's keep our home court advantage and uniqueness.   
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Has anyone noticed there's a MVC podcast on itunes?
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

There's also an assumption that there's no trade-offs associated with facilities spending. Perhaps the administration would be a little hesitant to allocate funds for a recruiting trip to Germany had it just dropped a couple of a million dollars on bathrooms and seats.

VU2014

Quote from: a3uge on April 30, 2017, 02:08:25 PM

There's also an assumption that there's no trade-offs associated with facilities spending. Perhaps the administration would be a little hesitant to allocate funds for a recruiting trip to Germany had it just dropped a couple of a million dollars on bathrooms and seats.

The University is NOT and will not be paying out of pocket (or taking on debt) to fund major renovations for the ARC for the foreseeable future.

Any future major renovations that will occur are most likely to come from a 'Lead Donor' (which currently does not exist (partially,imo because President Heckler isn't pursuing them)). The Student Rec Center needs to come first and should be the main priority, even ML mentioned that in his interview with Paul and when he sat down with Michael. The Student Rec Center should be a University wide goal/priority. ML even says he has the Blueprints for it in his office but has been unable to find the lead donor for the project yet (seems to me the AD shouldn't be the only administrator pursuing a donor for that project, but thats a discussion for another day).

To be honest I like the ARC because its such a tough place for opposing teams to come play and it has a charm to it. Would I love a new renovated Arena yes, but I don't care about the fan "experience" as much as I do about the product on the floor. Would renovations help with recruiting and attendance? Probably yes, but the most important quality of a good program is the PEOPLE in charge and not the facilities. Hopefully President Heckler & the Board doubles down on one of their greatest marketing/PR tools for the University has available to them one day.

bbtds

Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 28, 2017, 03:22:46 PMnot sayin, just sayin

not saying "just sayin" or not "sayin, just sayin" or not saying just "sayin"?

M

It's not the presidents job to recruit lead donors. It may be his job to help deal the deal. I think those duties are more the AD's...he's probably looking hard, but if they just don't exist it doesn't matter how hard you look.

VU2014

Quote from: M on April 30, 2017, 03:07:24 PM
It's not the presidents job to recruit lead donors. It may be his job to help deal the deal. I think those duties are more the AD's...he's probably looking hard, but if they just don't exist it doesn't matter how hard you look.

I'm sorry but it is part of the President's job to help recruit lead donors to major buildings and projects of the University. That is not the primary role of a University President but that is definitely in the unspoken job description.

valpopal

Quote from: M on April 30, 2017, 03:07:24 PM

Just a thought, but when the president and athletic director met with the Board of Directors, which I believe numbers about 35, and addressed them about the possibility of a move to the MVC (including concerns the MVC might have about facility renovation), I'm guessing that would be the ideal audience to initiate discussions and to begin networking about seeking donors for needed upgrades. In fact, having listened to the Murray State board meeting and their inclusion of future funding for a potential conference change, I can't imagine the Valpo discussion did not run parallel and also include proposals for future directions in funding of athletics if entering a new conference.

ISUBird

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 29, 2017, 05:23:06 PM
Thank you ISU bird for the update. All schools, including Valpo, have their uppity fans.

But I'm still pissed that you guys defeated my beloved Trojans back in 1985!

That's okay.

Fun fact, ISU does not have a losing record against either USC or Valpo.

Quote from: wh on April 29, 2017, 08:34:12 PM

What's wrong in this case?  For as much as I hear Valpo fans saying they are upset the MVC would ask them to upgrade I hear Valpo fans stating that some change needs to be made.

Loyola said they would do something with their athletics, and unfortunately I don't remember specifics, but they have not and if anything, they have gone down in attendance 300-440 since their last year in the Horizon.  Why would the MVC want that to happen again?

Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 30, 2017, 12:55:22 PM

My hunch is that they decided for a handful of (foolish) reasons that they wanted Loyola and "facilities" was the most convenient/believable excuse they could muster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt that.  Loyola needs to continue upgrading their facilities.

usc4valpo

We all know Valpo needs to renovate the ARC. Clean it up, make it look 21st century. Add seats to the one end, maybe expand the north wall to 6500 seats,  and for crying out loud sell beer at the games. We have a player from Germany, let's make him feel welcome.

VU2014

The MVC was either going to invite Loyola or UIC regardless. Yes they took visits to Valpo (strongly consider us) and a few other places but the "market" was the primary driver for the MVC last time when they were replacing Creighton. "Market" beat out best basketball school last time around.

They chose Loyola (private) over UIC (public) because they wanted to maintain private replacing private. If Wichita State left before Creighton then we very likely could have seen UIC leaving over Loyola. Loyola facilities were just a way to spin it to fans and media. The MVC was pretty dead set on trying to penetrate the Chicago Market last time around. Loyola so far hasn't really added much to the MVC competitiveness since joining, although they should be better next season after putting together 2 nice recruiting classes. Even if with the possibility of Loyola being more competitive next season they still won't get much Chicago sports media attention unless they have an (last year) ISUr type season or start making the Tourney on a frequent basis.

I kid you not that Valpo has received more love and media attention from Chicago's media market the last 6-7 years then Loyola has.