• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

M

You would be very surprised then who actually recruits these lead donors.

I would think that when the MVC was brought up they probably discussed as a group potential upgrades and maybe dollars and donors.

oklahomamick

Quote from: M on April 30, 2017, 03:07:24 PMIt's not the presidents job to recruit lead donors. It may be his job to help deal the deal. I think those duties are more the AD's...he's probably looking hard, but if they just don't exist it doesn't matter how hard you look.

Doesn't Bryce have a bunch of money....?
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on April 30, 2017, 02:43:01 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 30, 2017, 02:08:25 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 30, 2017, 01:24:59 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 30, 2017, 12:45:10 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 29, 2017, 07:27:47 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 29, 2017, 06:28:27 PM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on April 28, 2017, 05:50:17 PM
There's more people closer than me but thought id share what i heard this week....been hearing that the visit went well, MVC was still disappointed in the facilities but that likely isnt going to be a hold up this time. There is some resistance in the valpo admin, but the feeling is that if a MVC invite comes along that there's enough pull to make it happen. Just thought id pass that info along..this should all be wrapping up in a week or two hopefully

I'm shocked, shocked to find out that gambling is going on in here the MVC is still disappointed in our facilities!

For your friend to suggest such flotsam and jetsam is outright preposterous.

Why?  They clearly won't want another bottom feeder whose facilities obviously are holding them back from landing any talented recruits!!   :o

Boy, that's the last time I reference Casablanca on this board again. Tough crowd.

On a more serious note, some posters advised that facilities had nothing to do with the MVC passing us over last time. But we have a reference to them during this visit. So which is it? They either are part of an overall consideration or they are not.

And no offense, but the fact that VU recruits well with a bad basketball arena does not excuse the fact that we have the worst venue in the HL and will have the worst venue in the MVC if we are invited to join.

Why in the world would we need an excuse?  Your definition of "worst" will soon/has been defined by our opponents as "hardest" to win.  I'll take the intense rafter shaking crowd on top of you environment as opposed to Missouri State's 11,000 seat arena where they draw less than 50% on a Saturday night.
There's also an assumption that there's no trade-offs associated with facilities spending. Perhaps the administration would be a little hesitant to allocate funds for a recruiting trip to Germany had it just dropped a couple of a million dollars on bathrooms and seats.

The University is NOT and will not be paying out of pocket (or taking on debt) to fund major renovations for the ARC for the foreseeable future.

Any future major renovations that will occur are most likely to come from a 'Lead Donor' (which currently does not exist (partially,imo because President Heckler isn't pursuing them)). The Student Rec Center needs to come first and should be the main priority, even ML mentioned that in his interview with Paul and when he sat down with Michael. The Student Rec Center should be a University wide goal/priority. ML even says he has the Blueprints for it in his office but has been unable to find the lead donor for the project yet (seems to me the AD shouldn't be the only administrator pursuing a donor for that project, but thats a discussion for another day).

To be honest I like the ARC because its such a tough place for opposing teams to come play and it has a charm to it. Would I love a new renovated Arena yes, but I don't care about the fan "experience" as much as I do about the product on the floor. Would renovations help with recruiting and attendance? Probably yes, but the most important quality of a good program is the PEOPLE in charge and not the facilities. Hopefully President Heckler & the Board doubles down on one of their greatest marketing/PR tools for the University has available to them one day.

I like the notion that there's a super rich alumni that wants to drop $20 million on athletic facilities for Valpo, but is just waiting for someone (like the president or ad) to ask nicely first.

vu72

Quote from: M on April 30, 2017, 04:45:16 PM
You would be very surprised then who actually recruits these lead donors.

I would think that when the MVC was brought up they probably discussed as a group potential upgrades and maybe dollars and donors.

Here's your answer:

John Kuka joined Valparaiso University as an associate director of athletics in February of 2013. Kuka is responsible for the advancement operations of the athletic department, including all major gift fundraising and oversight of the Crusader Fund. In his first three years at Valpo, he secured gifts to renovate the Kroencke Hall weight room, the football locker room and several other projects.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

Quote from: vu72 on April 30, 2017, 01:24:59 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 30, 2017, 12:45:10 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 29, 2017, 07:27:47 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 29, 2017, 06:28:27 PM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on April 28, 2017, 05:50:17 PM
There's more people closer than me but thought id share what i heard this week....been hearing that the visit went well, MVC was still disappointed in the facilities but that likely isnt going to be a hold up this time. There is some resistance in the valpo admin, but the feeling is that if a MVC invite comes along that there's enough pull to make it happen. Just thought id pass that info along..this should all be wrapping up in a week or two hopefully

I'm shocked, shocked to find out that gambling is going on in here the MVC is still disappointed in our facilities!

For your friend to suggest such flotsam and jetsam is outright preposterous.

Why?  They clearly won't want another bottom feeder whose facilities obviously are holding them back from landing any talented recruits!!   :o

Boy, that's the last time I reference Casablanca on this board again. Tough crowd.

On a more serious note, some posters advised that facilities had nothing to do with the MVC passing us over last time. But we have a reference to them during this visit. So which is it? They either are part of an overall consideration or they are not.

And no offense, but the fact that VU recruits well with a bad basketball arena does not excuse the fact that we have the worst venue in the HL and will have the worst venue in the MVC if we are invited to join.

Why in the world would we need an excuse?  Your definition of "worst" will soon/has been defined by our opponents as "hardest" to win.  I'll take the intense rafter shaking crowd on top of you environment as opposed to Missouri State's 11,000 seat arena where they draw less than 50% on a Saturday night. 

So, in other words, since we win with the status quo, and since we draw with the status quo, we therefore don't need to make any changes to the status quo.  How many academic buildings would have been built at Valpo over the last 20 or so years with that mentality? 

wh

Attendance has been in decline for several years, despite a product that's as good as it's ever been. I think the fall off can be traced in part to a couple of things. For one prices were raised significantly when we moved to the HL. That may have worked for the wars with Butler and the Detroit bad boys and the dirtiest team in D-1 Cleveland State and stacked Wright State and Milwaukee teams, but those days are long gone.  It's definitely time to shake things up - move to the MVC, get some new blood coming in to the ARC, do some modernization, and find a fix for the self-induced parking fiasco.   

crusadermoe

Agreed.  The Horizon was a step up, but no one seemed to care. 

Does better name recognition of the conference teams mean more fans at the ARC?  At least it should initially. I'll just be silent on the students for now. Nothing to lose and much to gain.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on April 30, 2017, 07:31:39 PM
Attendance has been in decline for several years, despite a product that's as good as it's ever been. I think the fall off can be traced in part to a couple of things. For one prices were raised significantly when we moved to the HL. That may have worked for the wars with Butler and the Detroit bad boys and the dirtiest team in D-1 Cleveland State and stacked Wright State and Milwaukee teams, but those days are long gone.  It's definitely time to shake things up - move to the MVC, get some new blood coming in to the ARC, do some modernization, and find a fix for the self-induced parking fiasco.   

Agreed. I really think it comes to 2 main factors:

1. The HL really isn't as competitive as it use to be. How many times can you watch YSU, Cleveland St, UIC (should be better next year) and UWM getting spanked at the ARC by 10-20 pts every year. People are just tired of the same old uncompetitive HL teams... I really think getting more competitive teams into the ARC should help attendance. Not to mention if you look at the MVC TV scheduling it is way more friendly then the HL scheduling. Not to mention I think the folks at the MVC offices might know better then scheduling rivalry games when students are on campus and not on break.

2. I think there is just more outlets for entertainment these days then there use to be so Valpo Basketball needs to compete with those other outlets. Thats another argument for making some improvements to the ARC. Improve the park situation, bathrooms, more comfortable seating, and bigger concessions. But lets not beat a dead-horse here.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on April 30, 2017, 02:43:01 PM

The University is NOT and will not be paying out of pocket (or taking on debt) to fund major renovations for the ARC for the foreseeable future.

Any future major renovations that will occur are most likely to come from a 'Lead Donor' (which currently does not exist (partially,imo because President Heckler isn't pursuing them)). The Student Rec Center needs to come first and should be the main priority, even ML mentioned that in his interview with Paul and when he sat down with Michael. The Student Rec Center should be a University wide goal/priority. ML even says he has the Blueprints for it in his office but has been unable to find the lead donor for the project yet (seems to me the AD shouldn't be the only administrator pursuing a donor for that project, but thats a discussion for another day).

To be honest I like the ARC because its such a tough place for opposing teams to come play and it has a charm to it. Would I love a new renovated Arena yes, but I don't care about the fan "experience" as much as I do about the product on the floor. Would renovations help with recruiting and attendance? Probably yes, but the most important quality of a good program is the PEOPLE in charge and not the facilities. Hopefully President Heckler & the Board doubles down on one of their greatest marketing/PR tools for the University has available to them one day.

It's probably too late to influence a go/no-go decision on the part of the Valpo Board.  By now it's done.  HOWEVER, there is something that can be done with respect to all subsequent decisions regarding the athletic program.

Fellow Valpo posters, as far as I can tell, we, as a group, are good at analyzing strengths and weaknesses of players, coaches, administrators, facilities and anything that relates to athletics.  And when an issue is raised among us there is a ton of strong opinions, most based on deep thought.  We are vocal and that's great.  But to whom do we express those strong opinions? Answer:  To ourselves, our fellow posters.  The AD occasionally monitors the forum, but I'm positive MH and the Board never consult us nor take the pulse of Valpo fandom.

People in positions of leadership can be influenced, but not by a fan board they don't read. There are a number of current major athletics issues where the AD, the University administration and the VU board need to hear DIRECTLY from alumni (especially alumni), friends of the university, and Valpo sports fans.

The first should have been an overwhelming flood of emails, correspondence and phone calls voicing support of a move to the MVC.  Probably too late for the vote, however, but important nevertheless.

The second relates to that and what is so much a part of the fiber of this forum on the MVC move -- improved facilities to support the move to the MVC.  While many of us have some different ideas on exactly what and how extensive, we all agree that after 33 years the interior of the ARC is desparately in need of an upgrade to piggyback on  the improvements to the floor and scoreboard.  This is a capital investment in a physical asset.  While applying a fiscally responsibe approach, much can be done if the leadership views this as good stewardship of existing physical assets. 

My point is this.  Complaining and moaning to the choir (us on the forum) does little than provide a place for venting -- you may feel better after unburdening yourself, but nothing is accomplished by it and the the job doesn't get done.

But we are still in the early stages of this MVC process.  I urge every one of us who has an opinion on the MVC move and the need to upgrade the ARC, to send an email to MLB AND MK expressing how you feel as an alumni or friend of the university.

I did that Monday and I did not get struck dead by lightning (I also haven't received any replies -- yet, but that's to be expected given the events of this past week).  Besides expressing a positive opinion on the MVC move, there were two things I suggested to them which I'd like to share with all of you.

1)  I stated that I understood that funds were tight, but within that restriction, I suggested that a move to the MVC would be the ideal moment to replace the seating in the ARC as well as add permanent retractable chairback seating on the east baseline (I even attached some screen shots of reasonable possibilities).  I believe this is a great way to not only announce the move but visually indicate to the college basketball world that this is TRULY a new era in Valpo basketball -- although it might only be an interim move.  I also mentioned that I was note alone on this (i.e., hopefully, I have stated the sentiments of most/all of those on the forum).

2)  I am a great believer that if someone has a gripe, when that gripe is expressed, it should come with a recommended solution.  So I questioned the "lead donor" approach for this particular effort stating that this is an extraordinary moment in time for VU that requires out-of-the-box thinking.  I encouraged a strategy that would, for once, bring development out of the shadows, and publicize a specific campaign dedicated to raising funds for the seating replacemment that would appeal to all alumni, not just some guy with deep pockets.  There is certainly a place for the lead donor role in development, but it has long been my opinion that there are many alumni and friends who would give something to a specific campaign for a specific thing, but due to the "lead donor" philosophy that keeps those needs out of the limelight, many alumni only give moderate amounts to general stuff.  I reinforced this approach to MMLB and MK with a specific pledge (I'm retired, so it wasn't a whole hell of a lot  ;) ) if they do just that -- Announce an ARC seating upgrade project. At worst it could uncover a new lead donor.

Regardless of your specific views, I encourage every Valpo alum, friend or fan reading this to do something, whatever it is,  along the same line and give the athletic department and the Valpo administration direct feedback and input from concerned individuals.  One email won't do it, but a flood of mails from many alumni and friends of Valpo cannot be ignored. 

valpotx

Many MVC teams have a gaudy record against us because of our pre-1993 basketball, but that would change if we join.  The HL teams had the same gaudy record against us before we joined, and we changed that quickly :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusader05

I really hope to see attendance jump up next year among the students whether we stay or go. I will  say that this year's schedule was a rough one in regards to dates and times that I hope wont' be repeated last year.

Another piece, is that the Valpo Athletic Department had some turn over in pretty devoted/long-standing members moving on to newer things and a new coaching team focusing on their development with other issues. I do feel like this year the general marketing to the campus body was not as well done as the last few years which contributed to it as well. I hope that is something that is rectified in the future now that everyone, hopefully, has their sea legs.

VU2014

MVC Insider, Harry Schroeder was just on a Murray State radio station and he mentioned that the people he's talked to seem to think that we may get an announcement by May 7 or May 8.

The 10 teams vs 12 teams got brought up again, he hinted that he thinks they are going 12. Valpo and Murray State are Tier A and Tier B is UWM and Omaha, but there is a pretty big drop off from Valpo and Murray State and there are no obvious 12th team.

I sort of hope they go 11 so they can play a 20 game round robin conference regular season. Then have a 1-2yr tryout for the 12th team to make sure they get it right and not settle. Maybe in a year or 2, Belmont changes its mind or another mystery school pops up. Maybe the MVC's Pipe-dream school SLU moves back to the MVC (highly unlikely). You get 1-2 more years of results/track record from the UWM's basketball team (i like their coach, but their AD is a mess. UWM is in the middle of a rebuild). I would far and away prefer UWM over Omaha. I'm not sold with the Omaha's young bball program and I'm not sold they can competitively fund their basketball team, especially with the news that the schools is losing $ on their new Basketball arena.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Fingers crossed we get an invite and at least go to 11.

oklahomamick

I kind of hope UWM gets in (As long as we do) so it hurts LeCrone and the HL......Sorry I said it.
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 01, 2017, 09:55:59 AM
I kind of hope UWM gets in (As long as we do) so it hurts LeCrone and the HL......Sorry I said it.
I can't imagine what is going on in the Horizon League offices this week. These guys have got to be going nuts because they have no control over the scenario.  Do we lose.... one  :(, two  >:(, or none ::)

With the current position of the HL any loss might be worse than losing Butler. In its current state the HL is still slightly better than the OVC and Summit, but without VU that changes dramatically.  For what reason would a team now want to move to the Horizon other than IUPUI or IPFW for travel cost savings???
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

To my friend FWalum, when you say IPFW, do you mean Purdue University-Fort Wayne or  Indiana University-Fort Wayne? ;)

valpotx

If the HL loses both Valpo and Milwaukee, it would put them in trouble of losing the auto-bid in baseball again.  They can operate at 5 schools for 1 or 2 seasons, but they have to find a 6th.  Since IPFW isn't a slam dunk to stay D-1 with the school's changes, they will have to get creative.
"Don't mess with Texas"

RacerJoeD

Hey all. Our play by play guy, the "Voice of the Racers", Neal Bradley is back after some health issues with his take on the Murray State to MVC talks. Here is the link.

http://www.1340wnbs.com/episode/the-neal-bradley-show-monday-may-1-2017/

a3uge

As down as I am on UWM, the MVC should take 2 HL teams just to maintain a pecking order of Midwest mid major basketball. The HL would have to add another team, and they'll probably raid the Summit or OVC.

VU2014

Quote from: a3uge on May 01, 2017, 11:01:38 AM
As down as I am on UWM, the MVC should take 2 HL teams just to maintain a pecking order of Midwest mid major basketball. The HL would have to add another team, and they'll probably raid the Summit or OVC.

I say just wait a 1-2yrs and see how the UWM hire works out and see if UWM can get their attendance up (far worse attendance then Valpo & Murray St) and see if their AD can get her act together. UWM won't be going anywhere and if the MVC could pick them up again in year or two.

I'm not sure their is any other school "worthy" of poaching from the OVC other then Belmont (if Murray State left with us to the MVC) and Belmont is not leaving for the HL. Also what is the cost benefit for schools to want to leave for the HL? Better League? Yes, but when you factor in the $1M exit-fee and then also the one time $882,000 Horizon League entry-fee (that was the entry fee for Oakland back in 2013), is really worth it? Also the OVC schools have to give up their shares without a 2yr notice, not to mention the OVC is really low travel costs and any school coming from the OVC would see greater travel costs. Also factor in the fact that HL revenues are pretty meager.

The HL would be poaching from the Summit. LeCrone is rumored to covet of Omaha and is interested in Denver. The HL was seriously considering move to 12 even if we stayed apparently. I could see them replacing whatever schools are lost and remain at 10 and then expanding to 12 at some point in the next 2 yrs. I wouldn't be exactly thrilled of the prospects of IPFW or IUPUI joining the HL (Although IUPUI has picked up some solid transfer recently, but regardless I don't want to be in a conference with them).

78crusader

Not sure if all our coaches would be completely thrilled with a move to the MVC.  Volleyball, for instance, would be facing much tougher competition in the MVC, with reduced chances of winning a conference title and making the NCAA field.

Paul

VU2014

Quote from: 78crusader on May 01, 2017, 11:39:05 AM
Not sure if all our coaches would be completely thrilled with a move to the MVC.  Volleyball, for instance, would be facing much tougher competition in the MVC, with reduced chances of winning a conference title and making the NCAA field.

Paul

Don't coaches want to compete against the best? I'd personally would rather see our teams compete against the better competition then beat on a league that we've already proven we can be the best of.

"Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive." - Andy Grove

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on May 01, 2017, 11:01:38 AM

If Valpo and Milwaukee leave, does the Horizon look to merge with either the Summit or OVC?  That might be their only path as why would a Summit League team leave for The Horizon with no Valpo or Milwaukee?  I haven't looked at how a merger might stack up but with the raiding going on a merger would ensure stability even if a couple of other schools leave.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteNot sure if all our coaches would be completely thrilled with a move to the MVC.  Volleyball, for instance, would be facing much tougher competition in the MVC, with reduced chances of winning a conference title and making the NCAA field.

With all due respect to volleyball, non-revenue sports should have zero bearing on this decision whatsoever. Also, what 2014 said: play the best to be the best.

VUOR63

Quote from: 78crusader on May 01, 2017, 11:39:05 AMNot sure if all our coaches would be completely thrilled with a move to the MVC.  Volleyball, for instance, would be facing much tougher competition in the MVC, with reduced chances of winning a conference title and making the NCAA field.

The other teams will have to get better then.  Frankly, this shouldn't be a concern, though.  Valpo is a special place (with or without the facility upgrades) and attracts a special kind of athlete.  If a coach is going to shy away from "tougher competition" then the AD should fire them yesterday.

bigmosmithfan1

Also, I haven't looked at the numbers but I'd be stunned if there was a significant funding difference for Olympic sports between the MVC and HL (outside of maybe baseball). Outside of the P5 (and even at a few P5 schools), these non-football/basketball programs are all pretty much run on a shoestring.