• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on May 01, 2017, 08:36:33 PM
Let me ask this. What seeds did UNI have when those wins occurred? I have zero idea. My point is this:: Valpo may have only two wins with all those appearances but, we never had higher than a 13 seed.
Not so sure about this.

1996  14 seed
1997  12 seed
1998  13 seed
1999  15 seed
2000  16 seed
2002  13 seed
2004  15 seed
2013  14 seed
2015  13 seed

So of our 9 NCAA bids, five have come with a lower than 13 seed.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 02, 2017, 11:42:05 AMTrivia - who was the Valpo player who transferred from Evansville?
I'm stumped.  What era?

usc4valpo

E-Villan

I guess I haven't been a member long enough to be in the cool club that can quote, but I will let a Valpo fan answer the question about what UE player transfered to Valpo.

I will just say I hope he worked out better for you than Bryan Bouchie did for us. I will cut him some slack as I am sure he isn't the first person who barfed at McDonalds though.

VU2014

Quote from: covufan on May 02, 2017, 12:46:13 PM
Let me ask this. What seeds did UNI have when those wins occurred? I have zero idea. My point is this:: Valpo may have only two wins with all those appearances but, we never had higher than a 13 seed.
Not so sure about this.

1996  14 seed
1997  12 seed
1998  13 seed
1999  15 seed
2000  16 seed
2002  13 seed
2004  15 seed
2013  14 seed
2015  13 seed

Guys seedings are a joke. They literally mean nothing. The NCAA doesn't even take them seriously. They had Minnesota as a 5-seed  :rotfl: and Middle Tennessee as a 12-seed. The NCAA just tries to pin interesting match-ups together like Vandy vs Northwestern, etc.

NCAA selection committee also frequently shows the middle finger to mid-majors in terms of match-ups and seeding. Example: When they pinned Wichita State vs Kentucky that year..

vu72

Not so sure about this.

1996  14 seed
1997  12 seed
1998  13 seed
1999  15 seed
2000  16 seed
2002  13 seed
2004  15 seed
2013  14 seed
2015  13 seed

So I wrong about never higher than a 13.  My point is that we have been criticized for not winning NCAA tourney games.  Coming out of the Mid-Con we were given a gift to be a 12. Recently the Horizon has been in the same boat.  The odds of winning from the 13-15 seed are very very low.  When we did win in 98 we did so from the 13 slot but it is really hard to do.  By moving to a better conference, we face a tougher task but if accomplished would more than likely produce a better seed.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 02, 2017, 01:09:41 PM
Not so sure about this.

1996  14 seed
1997  12 seed
1998  13 seed
1999  15 seed
2000  16 seed
2002  13 seed
2004  15 seed
2013  14 seed
2015  13 seed

Guys seedings are a joke. They literally mean nothing. The NCAA doesn't even take them seriously. They had Minnesota as a 5-seed  :rotfl: and Middle Tennessee as a 12-seed. The NCAA just tries to pin interesting match-ups together like Vandy vs Northwestern, etc.

NCAA selection committee also frequently shows the middle finger to mid-majors in terms of match-ups and seeding. Example: When they pinned Wichita State vs Kentucky that year..

They're not a joke to Mid Majors.  The P5 top 12 are legit most years.

Dave_2010

Quote from: covufan on May 02, 2017, 12:48:13 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on May 02, 2017, 11:42:05 AMTrivia - who was the Valpo player who transferred from Evansville?
I'm stumped.  What era?

The only Valpo/Evansville transfer I knew was Bryan Bouchie heading south after 07-08. Same year Haanpaa turned pro. That off-season set us back at least 2 years. 08-09 was going to be a step back without Huff, but losing those two as well doomed us to a disaster.

Don't know of anyone going the other way off hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

The answer - Randy Okrzesik. Actually he was pretty good for some weak Valpo teams

VU2014

I've been sort of monitoring the vibes of the MVC fan bases on twitter and it seems that the Evansville fans are much more supporting of Valpo joining the conference then Indiana State fans... Not sure why that might be. Indiana St fans I'd say (a rough guess) are 50/50 or 60/40 but a sizable amount (40-50%) seem not thrilled at Valpo joining the conference. The Evansville fans seem way more excited for Valpo potentially joining the Conference.

Anyone know of reason why this may be? My only guess is the Public to Private ratio or maybe the Indiana State fans have a superiority complex and think they are better then Valpo (recent history says they aren't).

How heated was the Valpo vs Indiana State rivalry back in the day? Maybe they want to be "Top Dog" from the State of Indiana in the MVC or something. I don't know, just thought it was interesting.

bigmosmithfan1

I think the difference might be as simple as UE beat us the last time we played them a few years back, while we hammered ISU at the ARC last year and beat them in Terre Haute the previous season.

usc4valpo

Valpo and Evansville have played each other 83 times, the third most by an opponent, behind Butler (103) and soon to be defunct St. Joseph's (87). It was a big rivalry for a while - both teams went Division 1 during the 1977-78 season. Evansville took the move up more successfully early and pretty much kicked our butts regularly.

UNIFTW

The public/private split is only a thing because of the  :censored: privates.

They have this sense of entitlement and are scared of anything that might challenge them or cause change. It's why they've been left in the damn dust by the public schools in the conference. Check out SIU beat writer, Todd Heffernan, on twitter from this evening. He laid out his stupid the split is and how dumb it is for the privates to team up like they do to prevent public schools in.

Basically for the MVC NCAA bids over the last 10 years in the 4 sports all teams play (MVB WBB VB and SB) there have been 28 NCAA bids. He public schools have 26 of them.

It's about time the damn private schools wake the hell up and cut the  :censored: that they pull.

Also, rofl at the UE fan earlier. "Oh UNIFTW is a prick. Everything he said is factually correct and we've been a massive boat anchor on the conference in terms of any kind of basketball success (or any other sport) but let's quickly deflect that by saying that he is mean and then talk about basketball success from 6 freaking decades ago"

Are you f-inf kidding me? You want to know who brags about being good in the 1950s and 1960s, especially at the small school level? Schools that have no history since then. Schools that have nothing recent to hang their hat on.

Great UE spends only like 16k less on basketball than UNI at like 2.99m each. What the hell are you spending it on?  You have, strongly rumored, the lowest paid coach in the league. Rumors have him at like 250k. UNI has the highest paid coach in the Valley at 1 million (all 100% paid by private donations). So you have, essentially an extra 750k to spend on that 2.99 million. Where's it going? Rent for your building? That's like 15k a night gone. Recruiting?  Your program loves Euros so maybe that's it. What in the living hell are you spending 2.99 million on and yet have an average finish of like 6th over the last decade?  Talk of all of this tradition from 6 decades ago and how bad UNI was at basketball, yet the school that drew less than a thousand fans a game less than 20 years ago has now accomplished more in the last 14 years than you have since JFK was killed. Brag about your attendance? Your attendance is the biggest farce I've seen. I watch UE games. That place is easily 70-80% empty yet claims of 10k fans are made. GMAFB.

zvillehaze

Quote from: UNIFTW on May 02, 2017, 10:19:36 PM
The public/private split is only a thing because of the  :censored: privates.

They have this sense of entitlement and are scared of anything that might challenge them or cause change. It's why they've been left in the damn dust by the public schools in the conference. Check out SIU beat writer, Todd Heffernan, on twitter from this evening. He laid out his stupid the split is and how dumb it is for the privates to team up like they do to prevent public schools in.

Basically for the MVC NCAA bids over the last 10 years in the 4 sports all teams play (MVB WBB VB and SB) there have been 28 NCAA bids. He public schools have 26 of them.

It's about time the damn private schools wake the hell up and cut the  :censored: that they pull.

Also, rofl at the UE fan earlier. "Oh UNIFTW is a prick. Everything he said is factually correct and we've been a massive boat anchor on the conference in terms of any kind of basketball success (or any other sport) but let's quickly deflect that by saying that he is mean and then talk about basketball success from 6 freaking decades ago"

Are you f-inf kidding me? You want to know who brags about being good in the 1950s and 1960s, especially at the small school level? Schools that have no history since then. Schools that have nothing recent to hang their hat on.

Great UE spends only like 16k less on basketball than UNI at like 2.99m each. What the hell are you spending it on?  You have, strongly rumored, the lowest paid coach in the league. Rumors have him at like 250k. UNI has the highest paid coach in the Valley at 1 million (all 100% paid by private donations). So you have, essentially an extra 750k to spend on that 2.99 million. Where's it going? Rent for your building? That's like 15k a night gone. Recruiting?  Your program loves Euros so maybe that's it. What in the living hell are you spending 2.99 million on and yet have an average finish of like 6th over the last decade?  Talk of all of this tradition from 6 decades ago and how bad UNI was at basketball, yet the school that drew less than a thousand fans a game less than 20 years ago has now accomplished more in the last 14 years than you have since JFK was killed. Brag about your attendance? Your attendance is the biggest farce I've seen. I watch UE games. That place is easily 70-80% empty yet claims of 10k fans are made. GMAFB.

Glad the UNI-UE debate has entered the Valpo board ... now I don't have to use Google to find it.  On a side note, the Ford Center in Evansville is a great facility.  Not only do they serve beer, but a full bar is available.  A+ in my opinion.

valpotx

I am loving this MVC fan banter.  I really hope that we get in, so I can continue this fun :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: 78crusader on May 02, 2017, 12:14:18 PM
Some mention on this board that Evansville used to be pretty good.  Probably thinking of the Jim Crews teams of the 1980s-1990s era. 

I just wanted to point out that nobody -- and I mean nobody -- had the kind of success that Evansville had for about 20 years back when there were two divisions of college basketball -- university and college divisions. 

Here is just a sample of the win-loss records Evansville compiled from the late 50s to the early 70s: 20-6, 20-8, 23-4, 21-6, 25-4, 21-6, 29-0, and 26-3.  Not to mention three (or four, I can't recall) national championships.

My dad and I went to multiple VU-Evansville games.  We hardly ever won, although we did knock off the Aces 83-73 in 1966 in the greatest sporting event I have ever seen (Evansville came in with a 25-game winning streak).

Just wanted to give Evansville the recognition they deserve.

Paul

The U of E fans seem to wear their emotions on their sleeves. Those sleeves they had on their uniforms long before other teams wore them--such as the NBA Bulls.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on May 03, 2017, 05:00:38 AM
Some mention on this board that Evansville used to be pretty good.  Probably thinking of the Jim Crews teams of the 1980s-1990s era. 

I just wanted to point out that nobody -- and I mean nobody -- had the kind of success that Evansville had for about 20 years back when there were two divisions of college basketball -- university and college divisions.  http://www.facebook.com/ValpoFanZone

Here is just a sample of the win-loss records Evansville compiled from the late 50s to the early 70s: 20-6, 20-8, 23-4, 21-6, 25-4, 21-6, 29-0, and 26-3.  Not to mention three (or four, I can't recall) national championships.

My dad and I went to multiple VU-Evansville games.  We hardly ever won, although we did knock off the Aces 83-73 in 1966 in the greatest sporting event I have ever seen (Evansville came in with a 25-game winning streak).

Paul

The U of E fans seem to wear their emotions on their sleeves. Those sleeves they had on their uniforms long before other teams wore them--such as the NBA Bulls.

Sleeves?  Heck, I remember Evansville not for sleeves but for the floor length robes they wore during warmups.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2017, 06:10:52 AM
Quote from: bbtds on May 03, 2017, 05:00:38 AM

I just wanted to point out that nobody -- and I mean nobody -- had the kind of success that Evansville had for about 20 years back when there were two divisions of college basketball -- university and college divisions.  http://www.facebook.com/ValpoFanZone

Paul

Sleeves?  Heck, I remember Evansville not for sleeves but for the floor length robes they wore during warmups.

That's because when they sent them to the showers some of those visitor locker rooms were pretty cold.  ;D

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on May 03, 2017, 12:49:05 AMI am loving this MVC fan banter.  I really hope that we get in, so I can continue this fun :)

Me too, I don't think I will hate any of the fans in the mvc as much as my distaste for Oakland. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 03, 2017, 08:54:56 AM
Quote from: valpotx on May 03, 2017, 12:49:05 AMI am loving this MVC fan banter.  I really hope that we get in, so I can continue this fun :)

Me too, I don't think I will hate any of the fans in the mvc as much as my distaste for Oakland.

Some guy over there was wondering why we would leave as The Horizon was a better academic conference!!!!!   :rotfl:

valpopal

Mark Adams has updated and amended his information. He still claims sources indicate Valpo as the 10th member of the MVC, but he now says additional sources suggest other teams could be added later:

"Other invitations could come later after the addition of a 10th member as per other school and conference sources."

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpopal on May 03, 2017, 09:19:00 AMMark Adams has updated and amended his information. He still claims sources indicate Valpo as the 10th member of the MVC, but he now says additional sources suggest other teams could be added later: "Other invitations could come later after the addition of a 10th member as per other school and conference sources."

I hope other "invitations" are UWM and Murray St while "later" means next week. 
CRUSADERS!!!

M

^^I like this post^^  As much as I don't care for PantherU and would love to hit the unfollow button...I do like going to watch a game in Milwaukee every year.

VU2014

Bummer to hear a few MVC beat reporters get laid off todays. Jim Connell of the Springfield News-Leader (Missouri State) and Daniel Allar of the Evansville Courier & Press (Evansville).

We are incredibly lucky to have two great guys covering our team in Paul Oren and Michael Osipoff. There isn't exactly a lot of great dedicated Beat Reporters in the Horizon League and we have two of them!

One of the things I was looking forward to about possibly moving to the the MVC is the amazing quantity of dedicated beat reporters for those schools teams. They have a lot of great beat reporters but bummer to see those guys go.

UNIFTW

Oh...one more thing on the public/private split in the MVC that was brought to light by Todd Aaron Golden - ISUb's beat writer - on twitter yesterday. The private's have contributed NOTHING to the MVC in terms of NCAA bids since 2010. Here is his full Twitter string on it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twitter storm warning. Let's talk about the MVC's public-private split for a few minutes. I did a bit of research and it's kind of shocking.

MVC writers have written ad nauseum about the MVC's public-private split. How one camp or another doesn't want to be marginalized.

We write about it because it's a decisive factor in MVC realignment. One camp will prevent the other from having too much voting influence.

Here's the thing ... what on Earth are the MVC private schools doing competitively to justify their voting power? Virtually nothing.

There are four MVC sports where all of the existing nine MVC schools participate in: men's and women's basketball, softball and volleyball.

Here's the public-private split in terms of NCAA Tournament appearances since 2010 from those nine schools

In men's basketball, the remaining five public MVC schools account for four NCAA appearances since 2010. The four private schools had zero.

In women's basketball, the five MVC publics have four NCAA Tournament appearances. The four privates account for one appearance.

In softball, the five MVC publics have six NCAA Tournament appearances since 2010. The privates have one NCAA tournament appearance.

In volleyball? The five MVC publics have 12 -- I repeat -- 12 NCAA Tournament appearances since 2010. The privates have zero.

That's a 26-2 split in favor of the remaining public MVC schools versus the private MVC schools in sports in which they directly compete.

It's long past time for MVC privates to flex their muscles on the court/field instead of just in the board room when it comes time to vote.

We hear a lot about MVC schools not carrying their weight. A 26-2 public-private NCAA split says it all about who the guilty parties are.

Four of the five public schools in the MVC has had NCAA Tournament appearances in at least two sports save Southern Illinois since 2010.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End string

The two private school NCAA bids?
Drake womens basketball this year - an auto bid and UNI got an at large
Bradley softball in 2014

That's it. That is 100% of the private schools NCAA bids in the 4 sports that every MVC school plays (MBB, WBB, VB, SB)

To be fair to the privates, of the 26 public school bids I think like at least 13 of them belong to just one public school - UNI. So it's not like the publics are doing much, across the board, outside of UNI.

UNI has 6 (I think) VB bids, 3 MBB bids, 3 WBB bids and 1 SB bid since 2009/2010. For schools left in the conference that is 75% of the MBB bids, I think all but 2 or 3 VB bids, and half of the WBB bids.