• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MAC out byes the Horizon

Started by wh, August 18, 2011, 09:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Starting this season the MAC will award the top 2 seeds TRIPLE byes into the semi-final round.  The 3 and 4 seeds will recieve DOUBLE byes into the quarterfinal round.  The other 8 teams will have to play 5 games to win the championship.  The new format applies to both men's and women's basketball.

http://www.mac-sports.com/News/tabid/969/Article/136246/MAC-Announces-New-Basketball-Tournament-Format.aspx

ValpoHoops

It's really the same set-up as the HL, just with the 1/2 seeds being an "extra" round between the semi and the final.

The small conferences are seeing what Butler, VCU, etc. have done the last couple of years and everyone is doing whatever it takes to make sure that their best teams get in.

dylanrocks

Next thing you know, they'll rise from the nation's 20th-ranked conference and have a member make an NCAA tournament run.

wh

Quote from: ValpoHoops on August 19, 2011, 02:25:40 PM
It's really the same set-up as the HL, just with the 1/2 seeds being an "extra" round between the semi and the final.

Acutally, there is a significant difference in the reward system between the two formats.  In the MAC the 3 and 4 seeds receive 2 byes - a huge advantage over the 5-12 seeds.  There is a big difference in fundamental fairness between 4 of 12 (1/3 of the field) and 2 of 10 (20% of the field) having a realistic opportunity to compete for a championship.    

motowntitan

Yea, this isn't really news.  they have two divisions of 6, so they are going to be different.

Also, their tourney is usually at Quicken loans.  Which ALWAYS helps schools like Kent State and Akron.

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on August 20, 2011, 10:25:25 AM

Acutally, there is a significant difference in the reward system between the two formats.  In the MAC the 3 and 4 seeds receive 2 byes - a huge advantage over the 5-12 seeds.  There is a big difference in fundamental fairness between 4 of 12 (1/3 of the field) and 2 of 10 (20% of the field) having a realistic opportunity to compete for a championship.   

Interesting to see how the WCC format is being altered with the addition of a 9th team (BYU).  http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/west/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2012Bracket.pdf  The HL could easily modify this format by adding a 7-10 first round game.  Then #5/#6 would get 1 bye, #3/#4 would get 2 byes and #1/#2 would get 3 byes.  I would like this format, but I don't see it happening.

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on August 20, 2011, 02:06:47 PM
Quote from: wh on August 20, 2011, 10:25:25 AM

Acutally, there is a significant difference in the reward system between the two formats.  In the MAC the 3 and 4 seeds receive 2 byes - a huge advantage over the 5-12 seeds.  There is a big difference in fundamental fairness between 4 of 12 (1/3 of the field) and 2 of 10 (20% of the field) having a realistic opportunity to compete for a championship.   

Interesting to see how the WCC format is being altered with the addition of a 9th team (BYU).  http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/west/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2012Bracket.pdf  The HL could easily modify this format by adding a 7-10 first round game.  Then #5/#6 would get 1 bye, #3/#4 would get 2 byes and #1/#2 would get 3 byes.  I would like this format, but I don't see it happening.

I like this, as well.  At first glance it seems to have a lot of upside.  Maybe the League will consider it now that another league has adopted it.   

dylanrocks

Guys, I just wrote on our board that I really like this format.

It rewards all teams for regular-season performance. No reason a No. 3 seed should have to play a fourth game against a team with 10 fewer league wins.

Add a rest day between the second-round games and semifinals and put me down.

blackpantheruwm

I am also a person who favors the WCC Format.  Here's a rough idea of what I'd do, to be expanded later on PantherU:

Tuesday
1. #10 vs. #7 - Campus Site #7
2. #9 vs. #8 - Campus Site #8

Move to Single Site - Top Seed

Thursday
3. Game 1 winner vs. #6
4. Game 2 winner vs. #5

Friday
5. Game 3 winner vs. #4
6. Game 4 winner vs. #3

Saturday
7. Game 5 winner vs. #1
8. Game 6 winner vs. #2

Tuesday
9. Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner

However, IF the Horizon League were to see MARKED IMPROVEMENT in ROAD attendance - as in the amount of fans hitting the road and following their teams across the conference - I would lobby to move the Thursday-Saturday games to move up one day and allow the championship to be played on Saturday.  If that irks people, allow Saturday as a day off and play the championship on Sunday.  Whatever works best for television and attendance will win out.  A central location would be preferred, so I would rule out Indy or Columbus.  Fort Wayne, IMO, doesn't have the amenities to bring people in, so I would prefer Chicago - all the pull, the home of the tournament - since the B10 wants to stay in Indy.  Central location is key as long as the city is actually, well, desirable.

rlh

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on August 23, 2011, 03:52:43 PM
I am also a person who favors the WCC Format.  Here's a rough idea of what I'd do, to be expanded later on PantherU:

Tuesday
1. #10 vs. #7 - Campus Site #7
2. #9 vs. #8 - Campus Site #8

Move to Single Site - Top Seed

Thursday
3. Game 1 winner vs. #6
4. Game 2 winner vs. #5

Friday
5. Game 3 winner vs. #4
6. Game 4 winner vs. #3

Saturday
7. Game 5 winner vs. #1
8. Game 6 winner vs. #2

Tuesday
9. Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner

However, IF the Horizon League were to see MARKED IMPROVEMENT in ROAD attendance - as in the amount of fans hitting the road and following their teams across the conference - I would lobby to move the Thursday-Saturday games to move up one day and allow the championship to be played on Saturday.  If that irks people, allow Saturday as a day off and play the championship on Sunday.  Whatever works best for television and attendance will win out.  A central location would be preferred, so I would rule out Indy or Columbus.  Fort Wayne, IMO, doesn't have the amenities to bring people in, so I would prefer Chicago - all the pull, the home of the tournament - since the B10 wants to stay in Indy.  Central location is key as long as the city is actually, well, desirable.
As long as ESPN demands it, the championship game will be on Tuesday to fit their schedule.  You need to work whatever schedule you have around that.....by the way, I kind of like the triple bye format...it has some rewards for the top 4 teams in the conference, which is good....