• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

March Madness

Started by vu84v2, March 20, 2022, 12:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

After seeing what Saint Peter's has accomplished this weekend, I cannot help but think how ironic it is that the tournament is trademarked as "March Madness" - but all of the TV emphasis is on the major schools. The tournament became "madness" because each year a few little schools upset major opponents despite having budgets that are a small fraction of the budget of major schools.

Saint Peter's total annual athletic budget is $7.5M, which is less than John Calpari's annual salary. That truly is madness.

elephtheria47

St Peters is projected to get at least 100m in free advertisement so far on this run..why you invest in athletics

usc4valpo

Very well coached team and tough players, unlike our NW Indiana heroes.

vu84v2

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 20, 2022, 01:54:47 PM
St Peters is projected to get at least 100m in free advertisement so far on this run..why you invest in athletics

$100M?  They certainly will get some degree of great advertising, but not that much value.

valpopal

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 20, 2022, 03:11:45 PM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 20, 2022, 01:54:47 PM

$100M?  They certainly will get some degree of great advertising, but not that much value.

Not sure how to measure the value, but the advertising industry reports on 2022 NCAA tournament commercials: "Early games fetch a few hundred thousand dollars, with that figure rising past $2 million for spots during the title game." How much is it worth to St. Peters, which is now guaranteed at least three games, approximately six solid hours of broadcast time, plus all the highlights and mentions on other March Madness programs as well as in television newscasts and newspapers or magazines across the country, not to mention all the positive comments and shared clips across social media?

Additionally, the three guaranteed games means at least three units of payoff to their league, estimated at a minimum total of $12 million. Also, the coach of St. Peters is expected to make quite a bit more since he is rumored to be moving to Seton Hall following the tournament

usc4valpo

Once again, again and again, the Big 10 was way over represented in the tournament.  9 Big Ten teams, 2 are left. 3 conference of champion teams, 2 are left, and if USC didn't get bad calls at the end it could have been 3. Wisconsin basketball was painful to watch and should be outlawed. Illinois is too soft and whiny. Pac12 should have had more teams.

At the end, the conference most impressive is easily the Big12 and not even close.

nkvu

Props to St. Peters. Having a small school  to pull for this late in the tournament is what keeps me excited. I mean who cares which P5 school beats which P5 school?  To me they're all the same. But when a little school gets this far that's what I live for.  Unless I have some reason to pull for a P5 team, they're all the same to me. Like I might pull a little bit for UCLA because of Mick Cronin being a Cinci guy and I've lived in the area a long time.  But if it's North Carolina or Duke v. Kansas in the final, I really don't give a crap who wins. I'll watch, but I don't care who wins.

historyman

Here's one for you. Before they sell one game ticket, all MLB teams will make more than $100M in TV money from National & Local contracts in 2022.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

Painter needed to adjust his team of defense during the game, but the cohesiveness of St. Peter's is something to behold. Fantastic performance. Lottich and the team needs to watch the tapes on their play and learn.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 26, 2022, 09:14:56 AMPainter needed to adjust his team of defense during the game, but the cohesiveness of St. Peter's is something to behold. Fantastic performance. Lottich and the team needs to watch the tapes on their play and learn.
St. Peter's is unique in that they have players who've played together for 3 and 4 years throughout their roster. I think the only transfer on the roster is a guy who came back to Jersey City to play for them. There are very few programs in their situation.

Valpo, as is the case with most teams who have rosters full of guys who believe they are better than any reality would bring, is very unlikely to ever be in this situation.

RiderJake

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 20, 2022, 12:13:08 AMAfter seeing what Saint Peter's has accomplished this weekend, I cannot help but think how ironic it is that the tournament is trademarked as "March Madness" - but all of the TV emphasis is on the major schools. The tournament became "madness" because each year a few little schools upset major opponents despite having budgets that are a small fraction of the budget of major schools. Saint Peter's total annual athletic budget is $7.5M, which is less than John Calpari's annual salary. That truly is madness.

This proves once again that money is not everything in sports. No matter what the salary is, it is often grossly overpaid. And teams with low budgets will continue to surprise, because they want to win :)