• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Scott Drew

Started by vu84v2, January 17, 2013, 09:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

Does anyone have any thoughts on what has happened with Scott Drew?  I saw the Baylor - Kansas game on Monday and his coaching was extremely poor.  They really never ran any offensive sets and kept trying to pound the ball inside all night.  Scott made no adjustments at halftime, despite having 10 shots blocked in the first half.  At Valpo, I thoght that his game coaching was qutie good - and I heard Rich Zvosec on the radio yesterday say that he can't understand why Baylor does not run offensive sets for their good shooting guards...because they were very good at that when he coached against Valpo.

Additionally, Scott seems to have developed some questionable ethics.  He was suspended for two games this season due to recruuting violations (too much contact with recruits) and his longtime assistant (Mark Morefield) is banned from coaching for a year by the NCAA.

I would be interested in different opinions because (1) Scott never did those things at Valpo, and (2) the rest of his family, in my opinion, are incredibly virtuous.

valpotx

Scott has never been an X's and O's guy.  Many stories out there refer to him as an excellent recruiter, but not much in regards to in-game coaching of that talent.  He has been very fortunate at Baylor to have some extraordinary athletes who were able to rely on Isolation/one-on-one play, and bigs that could rebound and put back any misses. 

In regards to violations, there have also been many stories out there about his ethics.  Bobby Knight was not a fan of his, because he would send out mailings bashing other programs abilities to get the recruits he gets.  He seems like a nice guy, but you do hear quite a few other stories out there about his recruiting ethics...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Just a hypothesis, before the same crowd that bashed whichever P-T columnist dared question him this past spring chimes in--

Scott was always a driven person and excellent recruiter.  As regards both the coaching aspect and the ethics aspect, perhaps being in the Valpo "bubble" helped insulate him to such things--with his father around and all.  Let's face it--he was only here a year and those were his dad's kids both before and after him.  I think Homer deserves as much credit as Scott for that lone year.

The increased pressures at Baylor probably hang on him a good deal.  Coaching isn't easy!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa